Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Barnsley H 18:46 - Aug 21 with 36852 views442Dale

Subs:

Joe Rafferty
Callum Camps
Jordan Williams
Ollie Rathbone
Aaron Wilbraham
Bradden Inman
Magnus Norman

[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 18:53]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Barnsley H on 07:45 - Aug 22 with 2830 viewssweetcorn

Match thread: Barnsley H on 00:12 - Aug 22 by kiwidale

Here we go again Sweecorn playing the man instead of the ball.
I'm not sure you understand irony what I do know is that you are easily upset.

"This post is almost as sad as our performance tonight. Are you after noshing dale23years off or something? "

Top marks Sweetcorn you have confirmed my opinion of you.

Back to irony for a minute your post reflects what Dale23years has said in his posts albeit with more detail and venom as in.... "N’thle is utter gash and why he is still at this club only keith hill knows. He doesn’t know where to be positionally, takes an age to track back and is just generally gash."

"Are you after noshing dale23years off or something?"

When it comes to wit you are not Oscar Wilde are you? however fckwit comes to mind.

edit

my post contains abuse so Ive dobbed myself in save to you the time.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 0:15]

I understand irony, i’m not however sure whether you yourself do, as the post i highlighted is in no way ironic..

We just played horrifically and lost 4-0 of course our opinions are going to be similar, i’d be more worried if they didn’t and someone found something positive from last night.

Where our opinions don’t agree is when he still complains about the manager despite getting a draw away to a team who will be looking to be in and around the play-offs.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 7:46]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 07:52 - Aug 22 with 2806 viewsColDale

I didnt think at any times last night we were shít, we were just inferior to a stunning side.

Barnsley were without doubt the best visiting team to come to Spotland in years. It's incredible when you think they didn't appoint their manager until the middle of June. From 40 miles away, it looked like they were simply meandering at the most important time of the year, a bit like when Alan Buckley got the job at Dale and went on a 3 week cruise that time.

But their manager has done an incredible job in such a short space of time, with seemingly not that many new recruits. The football they played was stunning, and with the evidence of these, Liverpool and Huddersfield, I reckon there may well be 2 or 3 more German managers heading to these shores. My only concern would be can they as a side maintain that level of energy for 20, 30, 40 games on the trot.

As for the game, right from the first moment, they were just all over us. The game could and arguably should have been all over in the first ten minutes. We had that rabbit in the headlights look about us. It'd be interesting to hear from Barnsley fans as to whether this was a typical match for them but the way they swarmed all over us created a level of pressure that forced us into mistakes left, right and centre. Again, I'd have those mistakes down to what Barnsley did rather than us being undercooked.

But I felt we weathered that storm, and there was a spell in the game from 10 minutes to about 35 minutes where we live with them, and played some good stuff. I don't think I'm being especially happy clappy to say that during this time, we were as likely to score as they were. We stepped up our intensity and yes mistakes got made but there was still much to be impressed by.

But as we've seen with Liverpool, this pressing style goes from defence to attack in about 0.3 seconds and it cost us twice before half time. It must be incredibly difficult to play against a side like this because even when attacking, you need to be spot on defensively and 4 or 5 at the back would have made no difference like this. You just cant lose possession, but we did and they punished us for it. Psychologically these two goals were killers because like I said, I think we'd done the hard bit by getting an equally footing in the game and in the blink of an eye, we were 2-0 down. If there's one concern to come out of the two home games, its the way we've allowed two albeit excellent sides to score back to back goals. It's a bit like watching England at cricket where one wicket follow another. Going 1-0 down into half time would not have been a disaster with a full 45 mins to go in the same way 2-1 at home to Posh wouldn't have been.

The 3rd goal made it a case of how many, and I was relieved it was only 4 in the end. It could easily have been 7 or 8 and I don't think we could have had any complaints about that whatsoever. Barnsley just had this desire and hunger to go and go again, and I thought we did well to keep our heads high like we did. We could have just thrown the towel in.

I really don't know what else we could have done differently. Team selection wasn't far off what I'd have picked if need be, but its a concern that we've not picked the same defensive unit twice yet, and given the changes that we've made mid games, we've probably had 7 or 8 different defensive set ups in five games so far. For me, Delaney looks out of form at the moment, so stick with Harrison, MJ and McNulty and give it 5 or 6 games on the trot.

The worry now is that having got such a schooling last night, we're going into a run of games now that could really punish us. There's massive pressure on Saturday's game now against a side who've made an outstanding start to the season, followed by two back to back away games.

This side has got so much more about it than we did twelve months ago, and I don't anticipate anywhere close to the problems that we had last season. I think we've been unfortunate that our two defeats this season have come at the hands of two sides who will finish in the top three in the division. The Posh scoreline was misleading as we pushed and pushed to get back into it. But these two defeats have brought dark clouds over a season that so far is played five, won two, lost two. We need to shake it off and Im sure we will, but it's vital that we don't push ourselves into a slump because of two big defeats to sides who will cause many sides big defeats this year. There's half a dozen sides at least who I think we'll have no problems finishing above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match thread: Barnsley H on 08:01 - Aug 22 with 2767 viewsrod_leach

My thoughts exactly, Col. Barnsley were brilliant. We had our moments but in the end the far better side won. Disappointed, yes, but not that worried (yet!)
Match thread: Barnsley H on 08:21 - Aug 22 with 2712 viewsEllDale

I agree that Barnsley were irresistable last night. Best 40 minutes of football seen at Spotland since Plymouth threatened to swamp us, also on a Tuesday night.

Having said that though, would it be pertinent to point out that Wimbledon nilled them at Oakwell last Saturday?

I have real worries about two things, both of which have been touched on at various times over the last few months.

The first is our home form which hasn't been good for 12 months. I could understand us playing MJ Williams and Perkins together in midfield away from home but not at Spotland. It's almost as if we set up not to get beaten.

The other is our inability to string wins together. When was the last time that we won Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday?
Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:17 - Aug 22 with 2611 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Barnsley H on 01:28 - Aug 22 by kiwidale

Its not hard to understand what I'm going on about. D23yrs was spot on when he named you and DDB in his post.

But the context he used wasn’t spot on. I’m always honest about performances, whether on here or in conversations with others, so quite why he decided to bring me into his rant on this particular occasion, I’m not sure.

So, I’ll ask again, what are you going on about and why?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:27]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:49 - Aug 22 with 2522 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:17 - Aug 22 by TVOS1907

But the context he used wasn’t spot on. I’m always honest about performances, whether on here or in conversations with others, so quite why he decided to bring me into his rant on this particular occasion, I’m not sure.

So, I’ll ask again, what are you going on about and why?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:27]

Know what TVOS your winning me over, you are right your always fckin right.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:51 - Aug 22 with 2515 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Barnsley H on 07:52 - Aug 22 by ColDale

I didnt think at any times last night we were shít, we were just inferior to a stunning side.

Barnsley were without doubt the best visiting team to come to Spotland in years. It's incredible when you think they didn't appoint their manager until the middle of June. From 40 miles away, it looked like they were simply meandering at the most important time of the year, a bit like when Alan Buckley got the job at Dale and went on a 3 week cruise that time.

But their manager has done an incredible job in such a short space of time, with seemingly not that many new recruits. The football they played was stunning, and with the evidence of these, Liverpool and Huddersfield, I reckon there may well be 2 or 3 more German managers heading to these shores. My only concern would be can they as a side maintain that level of energy for 20, 30, 40 games on the trot.

As for the game, right from the first moment, they were just all over us. The game could and arguably should have been all over in the first ten minutes. We had that rabbit in the headlights look about us. It'd be interesting to hear from Barnsley fans as to whether this was a typical match for them but the way they swarmed all over us created a level of pressure that forced us into mistakes left, right and centre. Again, I'd have those mistakes down to what Barnsley did rather than us being undercooked.

But I felt we weathered that storm, and there was a spell in the game from 10 minutes to about 35 minutes where we live with them, and played some good stuff. I don't think I'm being especially happy clappy to say that during this time, we were as likely to score as they were. We stepped up our intensity and yes mistakes got made but there was still much to be impressed by.

But as we've seen with Liverpool, this pressing style goes from defence to attack in about 0.3 seconds and it cost us twice before half time. It must be incredibly difficult to play against a side like this because even when attacking, you need to be spot on defensively and 4 or 5 at the back would have made no difference like this. You just cant lose possession, but we did and they punished us for it. Psychologically these two goals were killers because like I said, I think we'd done the hard bit by getting an equally footing in the game and in the blink of an eye, we were 2-0 down. If there's one concern to come out of the two home games, its the way we've allowed two albeit excellent sides to score back to back goals. It's a bit like watching England at cricket where one wicket follow another. Going 1-0 down into half time would not have been a disaster with a full 45 mins to go in the same way 2-1 at home to Posh wouldn't have been.

The 3rd goal made it a case of how many, and I was relieved it was only 4 in the end. It could easily have been 7 or 8 and I don't think we could have had any complaints about that whatsoever. Barnsley just had this desire and hunger to go and go again, and I thought we did well to keep our heads high like we did. We could have just thrown the towel in.

I really don't know what else we could have done differently. Team selection wasn't far off what I'd have picked if need be, but its a concern that we've not picked the same defensive unit twice yet, and given the changes that we've made mid games, we've probably had 7 or 8 different defensive set ups in five games so far. For me, Delaney looks out of form at the moment, so stick with Harrison, MJ and McNulty and give it 5 or 6 games on the trot.

The worry now is that having got such a schooling last night, we're going into a run of games now that could really punish us. There's massive pressure on Saturday's game now against a side who've made an outstanding start to the season, followed by two back to back away games.

This side has got so much more about it than we did twelve months ago, and I don't anticipate anywhere close to the problems that we had last season. I think we've been unfortunate that our two defeats this season have come at the hands of two sides who will finish in the top three in the division. The Posh scoreline was misleading as we pushed and pushed to get back into it. But these two defeats have brought dark clouds over a season that so far is played five, won two, lost two. We need to shake it off and Im sure we will, but it's vital that we don't push ourselves into a slump because of two big defeats to sides who will cause many sides big defeats this year. There's half a dozen sides at least who I think we'll have no problems finishing above.

Superb analysis Col.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:54 - Aug 22 with 2496 viewsJimmyRustler

It's also worth pointing out that we've been handed a tough run of fixtures to start off with and should be OK once some of the more winnable ties come along. Let's just hope that our confidence isn't already shattered by that stage. Walsall are in good form but that's definitely a winnable fixture, especially now that their Turkish thorn in the side Oztumer has gone to Bolton
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:59 - Aug 22 with 2472 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:49 - Aug 22 by kiwidale

Know what TVOS your winning me over, you are right your always fckin right.

Cheers.

Now could you answer the question because I’m flummoxed.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 10:09]

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:03 - Aug 22 with 2457 viewsDaleiLama

Excellent post Col, which chimed with my feelings in the aftermath of last night, and sums up the current "state of the nation" well too.

Some additional thoughts I would add - our ability to keep possession is worrying this year. In past Hilly teams, we have pinged the ball around well in triangles, even against a pressing opponent, and always seemed to have a man over in space. This season, however, we seem to be giving the ball away too easily. This is a double whammy, as it gifts the opponent opportunities and means we have to work harder to win the ball back, which brings fatigue on sooner. In the spell you referred to I thought we did better from a possession point of view.

Another concern I have is penetration (settle down at the back). JW11 finally got a run out, but Inman stayed on the bench. Our wing play is a shadow of previous Hilly sides too, either down the touchline to get to the by-line or cutting in to wrong foot defenders (in stark contrast to how it should be done as displayed by Barnsley). As for our crosses, on the rare occasion we do get into good positions? Not good enough. Bizarrely our best one last night was from Hendo …….. the very man you want on the end of that cross.

Speaking of our third all-time leading goal scorer ……… please? Can he Keith? It's not like we are scoring for fun at the moment, like Barnsley did last night. Doney got a chance up front. How about trying Doney and Hendo as a strike pair again with some serious service and support from a strong attacking midfield?

If Hilly righted the ship from a far, far more perilous position last year, I am confident he can keep us from falling into a similar mire this year. Still 42 games to go to get us back on track again. We've played less than 10% of the season. We've also played some really good teams.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 10:12]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:10 - Aug 22 with 2427 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Barnsley H on 08:21 - Aug 22 by EllDale

I agree that Barnsley were irresistable last night. Best 40 minutes of football seen at Spotland since Plymouth threatened to swamp us, also on a Tuesday night.

Having said that though, would it be pertinent to point out that Wimbledon nilled them at Oakwell last Saturday?

I have real worries about two things, both of which have been touched on at various times over the last few months.

The first is our home form which hasn't been good for 12 months. I could understand us playing MJ Williams and Perkins together in midfield away from home but not at Spotland. It's almost as if we set up not to get beaten.

The other is our inability to string wins together. When was the last time that we won Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday?

From what I have read about the Barnsley Wimbledon game, the latter parked the bus.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:35 - Aug 22 with 2344 viewsrichfoad32

The paragraph about the defensive changes stood out to me. I didn't see the first couple of games of the season but MJ was decent by all accounts then all of a sudden he's out and then back in playing a midfield holding role, why? I just don't understand the constant tinkering with the personnel/positions that happen for every game. Surely Hill must have some idea of his best players and where to play them? The long season will necessitate changes due to injuries and loss of form but whilst it's still nascent then try and stick to the same team as much as possible, let them play together as a unit, learn each others games and get comfortable with what the manager is asking them to do. We might suffer a few beatings along the way but at least players can play knowing that one bad game won't see them asked to play another position/banished from the squad completely for the next one. The best teams don't necessarily include the most talented players, just ones that know their jobs and their teammates inside out.

I like Delaney but he's still very raw. Good as a head it/kick it away centre half but doesn't want the ball anywhere near him. Anyone scouting us will know to press him as soon as the ball is bowled out anywhere within his vicinity and I would try to avoid it as much as possible.
Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:51 - Aug 22 with 2300 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:10 - Aug 22 by DaleiLama

From what I have read about the Barnsley Wimbledon game, the latter parked the bus.

And we missed the bus!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:55 - Aug 22 with 2291 viewsEllDale

That last paragraph is just as applicable to McNulty. It was especially noticeable at Fleetwood that our back three were constantly putting themselves under pressure by trying to play intricate football.
Match thread: Barnsley H on 11:02 - Aug 22 with 2253 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Barnsley H on 10:51 - Aug 22 by dingdangblue

And we missed the bus!

We went racing in our bus but came up against a F1 car.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 12:23 - Aug 22 with 2139 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Barnsley H on 11:02 - Aug 22 by DaleiLama

We went racing in our bus but came up against a F1 car.

Leaving us stranded in the outside lane...

Some very good posts. Mainly level heads from experienced fans this morning; that's what i expect from an experienced manager too

Baldy Mourinho anyone?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Barnsley H on 13:09 - Aug 22 with 2061 viewsjpresto

Whilst I agree totally about our defensive mistakes and frailties I feel that when your midfield is totally outplayed by the opposition your defence is constantly under the cosh with no respite and mistakes are inevitable.
Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:25 - Aug 22 with 1946 viewssweetcorn

Match thread: Barnsley H on 09:59 - Aug 22 by TVOS1907

Cheers.

Now could you answer the question because I’m flummoxed.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 10:09]

It was another of those ironic posts, apparently.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:36 - Aug 22 with 1907 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:25 - Aug 22 by sweetcorn

Ah, now I understand...

Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:54 - Aug 22 with 1854 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Barnsley H on 12:23 - Aug 22 by D_Alien

Some very good posts. Mainly level heads from experienced fans this morning; that's what i expect from an experienced manager too

Baldy Mourinho anyone?

Threw his bus and hot wheels out of the pram?

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:03 - Aug 22 with 1830 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:54 - Aug 22 by DaleiLama

Threw his bus and hot wheels out of the pram?

He'll end up with a crushed bonnet

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:05 - Aug 22 with 1827 viewsMoonyDale

Match thread: Barnsley H on 12:23 - Aug 22 by D_Alien

Baldy Mourinho anyone?

Badly Mourinho more like D.A.

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:16 - Aug 22 with 1794 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Barnsley H on 14:25 - Aug 22 by sweetcorn

Like rain on your wedding day.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:52 - Aug 22 with 1718 viewsDaleiLama

TVOS - is that the first time Dale have played in a game with three players (Jordan Williams) having the same name on the field at the same time? I even wonder if it's a first for football? Probably not though.

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:54 - Aug 22 with 1716 viewsColDale

Match thread: Barnsley H on 15:52 - Aug 22 by DaleiLama

TVOS - is that the first time Dale have played in a game with three players (Jordan Williams) having the same name on the field at the same time? I even wonder if it's a first for football? Probably not though.

happened when their JW was at Bury last season I think
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024