Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington 09:33 - Aug 31 with 19175 viewsaston_hoop

Joining Sheffield Utd on a season long loan. They made a goalscorer at this level out of Leon Clarke so anything is possible.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Washington on 12:02 - Aug 31 with 2322 viewsGroveR

Not every lower league prospect will make it, for every Eze we pick up, we'll probably pick up 2 Washingtons. Like Tim says, a gamble and for all the lad's effort, it didn't work out.

What I can't understand is how 2 experienced managers kept playing him for so long when it was obvious he wasn't good enough.
Washington on 12:26 - Aug 31 with 2187 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best of luck to him. Great attitude which hopefully will help him towards success elsewhere.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Washington on 12:27 - Aug 31 with 2183 viewsPhildo

The shot hitting Smith on the line and his body language immediately after the other day about sums up his career at QPR. Hard to dislike as he was grafter and to his credit did not give up but had long since reached the point where it was not going to happen.Good luck to him though,
Washington on 12:30 - Aug 31 with 2169 views100percent

Washington on 12:02 - Aug 31 by GroveR

Not every lower league prospect will make it, for every Eze we pick up, we'll probably pick up 2 Washingtons. Like Tim says, a gamble and for all the lad's effort, it didn't work out.

What I can't understand is how 2 experienced managers kept playing him for so long when it was obvious he wasn't good enough.

I agree with this.
he has been allowed to play in every conceivable formation and yet he still looks nothing like a professional footballer. Running around a lot and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, does not a footballer make. those half hearted attempts at challenging a defender or goalkeeper particularly irk with me.
Never one to boo or hiss a QPR player, but it's been really difficult to hold back on vocal criticism.... definitely not sad to see him go....
Washington on 12:32 - Aug 31 with 2163 viewsTacticalR

Smith blocking Washington's shot on the line showed up another great flaw of Washington's - he wasn't lucky.

Air hostess clique

Washington on 12:33 - Aug 31 with 2157 viewsBostonR

Just not good enough and he has had so many chances to make a go of it. I have never been able to work out what is his best position - certainly not centre-forward. Good luck to him but will not be missed.
Washington on 12:40 - Aug 31 with 2112 viewsPlanetHonneywood

When he arrived, I think we were all wowed by his running and work rate; something we’d missed up top for some while. Unfortunately, as time moved on, that’s all he really offered: honest effort.

However, we didn’t buy him to run around a lot, we bought him to trouble the onion bag and frankly, he was utterly hopeless at achieving the number one item on his job spec: score lots.

For me, he was such an unnatural scorer, it’s hard to know what we saw in him or what the Blades have for that matter. He seemed to need an interminably long time to set himself when presented with a chance, before squandering it. His miss last season up at Birmingham being case in point. Took too long and even with no one around him, he got his body shape all wrong and promptly troubled the ball boy by the corner flag.

Even if we had a couple of injuries up front, he’d add nothing in terms of goal threat. So offloading is neither a loss nor gamble. Gave it is all, tried his hardest and for that, I think we and the club gave him ample time to prove himself. As we’ve all said: sometimes it just doesn’t work out, so cheers, good luck and onwards we go.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Washington on 12:46 - Aug 31 with 2076 viewsqprd

Washington on 11:20 - Aug 31 by Northernr

Simmo calls it right whenever I sit with him. The amount of times a ball drops, is flicked on, is crossed or is passed in the danger zone and Washington is flat on his heals, five or six yards away from it, is staggering for a striker who has scored prolificly, albeit at lower levels. We were watching him do it against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday for a bit (bored) and you can tell by the look on his face after it's happened that he realises he should have been there, but he just doesn't have the knack of it.

The great goalscorers of his size, build and style talk about it just being instinctive, just having a nose for a space and where the ball is going to go. Billy Sharp is a realistic target for him to aim for at our level - somebody who struggled to step up from League One to here but has eventually carved out a good living and scored quite regularly. Even he's always had that nose for where to be in the area.

Not sure if it's a confidence thing, to me he just doesn't look good enough for the level. Guess we'll find out if he goes to Sheff Utd.

To be fair, I'm not sure CW was even a prolific scorer in the lower divisions

He scored 5 in 39 between the conference and L2 for Newport county; 27 in 82 for Posh in L1.... we basically signed him on the back of a purple patch before the January 2016 transfer window
Login to get fewer ads

Washington on 12:51 - Aug 31 with 2052 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Washington on 12:46 - Aug 31 by qprd

He scored 5 in 39 between the conference and L2 for Newport county; 27 in 82 for Posh in L1.... we basically signed him on the back of a purple patch before the January 2016 transfer window

Tried hard - not good enough - probably league two or league one at best
Not a natural goalscorer

Another example of poor recruitment from Les - Washington cost between 2.5m and 2.75m add 2.5 years wages of at least 10k per week = 3.75m down the drain
Washington on 12:51 - Aug 31 with 2052 viewsGloucs_R

Washington on 11:40 - Aug 31 by Esox_Lucius

At least it pushes Oteh up in the pecking order and, albeit only the U23's, he looks like a decent target man and has a bit of bulk to hold off defenders.

Are you kidding? Oteh is about 5'8!! Not really a target man.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Washington on 12:58 - Aug 31 with 2012 viewsozexile

Admittedly I've never seen him live but watching from oz. Always half a yard away from everything. Flick ons, challenges, shots. Constantly in the wrong place.
Washington on 12:59 - Aug 31 with 2008 viewsTacticalR

Washington on 12:51 - Aug 31 by superhoopdownunder

Tried hard - not good enough - probably league two or league one at best
Not a natural goalscorer

Another example of poor recruitment from Les - Washington cost between 2.5m and 2.75m add 2.5 years wages of at least 10k per week = 3.75m down the drain

Was it just Les? Wasn't the official line that we would find rough diamonds in the lower leagues? Wasn't everyone on this board happily chirping away the same message without taking into account just how difficult that can be?

Air hostess clique

Washington on 13:05 - Aug 31 with 1969 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Washington on 12:59 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

Was it just Les? Wasn't the official line that we would find rough diamonds in the lower leagues? Wasn't everyone on this board happily chirping away the same message without taking into account just how difficult that can be?

Les was responsible - see this article below
Looks like in January 2016 he signed 3 donkeys

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/archive/les-ferdinand-reflects-on-qprs-transfer-windo

Les Ferdinand reflects on January transfer window
QPR signed three players - Conor Washington, Matt Ingram and Nasser El Khayati
Ferdinand is determined to return club to what it once was
LES Ferdinand was a busy man in January. Largely responsible for the club’s transfer activity, QPR’s Director of Football admits the ‘outs’ were as critical to him as the ‘ins.’

It’s fair to say that hasn’t always been the case at Loftus Road in recent years. But if the club want to get back to what it once was, Ferdinand says the current process is a vital one.

Over the course of the January transfer window, QPR added Conor Washington from League One’s Peterborough United, Matt Ingram from Wycombe Wanderers in League Two, and Nasser El Khayati, who joined from Burton Albion, also in League One.

CONOR_WASHINGTON_SIGNS_QPR
HERE TO PROGRESS: Conor Washington joined QPR during the January transfer window

Meanwhile, Charlie Austin signed for Southampton in the Premier League, while Sandro (West Brom) and Leroy Fer (Swansea) completed loan moves to the top flight.

Steven Caulker was recalled from his loan at St Mary’s to join Liverpool until the end of the season.

There were also loan moves for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (MK Dons), Michael Doughty (Swindon), Brandon Comley (Carlisle United), Ben Gladwin (Bristol City) and Darnell Furlong (Cambridge United).

“We lost a few and didn’t bring in too many but, in terms of where the club is and where we need it to be, we are heading in the right direction,” Ferdinand told www.qpr.co.uk.

NASSER_EL_KHAYATI_SIGNS_QPR_ARTICLE
READY TO STEP UP: Nasser El Khayati joined from League One side Burton Albion

“In some cases, moving players out — be it permanently or on loan — was just as important to us as the players we brought in.

“From a fan’s perspective, you probably don’t want to see your most expensive signings leave, but because of what we are trying to do here, it was important that we moved these players on if we could.”

As a player at QPR, Ferdinand’s role was to score goals and make the fans happy. Now he is focusing on doing what is right for the club in the long-term, and readily accepts the decisions required to get there won’t always be welcomed by those same supporters who used to sing his name.

“I can’t just look at the here-and-now,” he explained. “I have to look beyond that, at the future of this club. That matters more.

“Financial Fair Play is playing a part in what we are doing, and the way we’re moving forward. The simple fact is, we can’t go out and spend big amounts. If balancing the books means we have to make some unpopular decisions, then we will do that. But any decision we make is in the best interests of this football club.”

MATT_INGRAM_JOINS_QPR
SAFE HANDS: Matt Ingram signed for QPR from League Two outfit Wycombe Wanderers

There is a common theme which connects the acquisitions of Washington, Ingram and El Khayati — none of them have ever played at Championship level. But with that, says Ferdinand, comes a desire to succeed.

“We want players here who are hungry to do well,” he added. “I have spoken before about players who were here for the wrong reasons in the past, and we want to get away from that.

“We have been seen by some as a bit of a payday, rather than those players wanting to come here and help advance the football club.

“The decisions we are making now will help us bring people here who want to progress and improve with QPR.

“It bothers me what’s happened here in recent years.

“I’ve spoken with people before who used to come and watch Queens Park Rangers play, even though they weren’t supporters, because they knew they would see a committed, good, footballing team. We had that reputation for years, but in recent times we have been seen as a bit of a glamour club.

“We need to change that and get back to what we were and what we know.”
Washington on 13:06 - Aug 31 with 1964 viewsGloucs_R

Had we not have pad £2.5m for him, he wouldn't have been given half the starts he got. It was a panic buy, we get stiffed up the jacksie and now the pain is over.

I know its a loan but we've swapped Washington for Wells.....

Poll: Are we staying up?

Washington on 13:08 - Aug 31 with 1946 viewsjonno

Washington on 11:20 - Aug 31 by Northernr

Simmo calls it right whenever I sit with him. The amount of times a ball drops, is flicked on, is crossed or is passed in the danger zone and Washington is flat on his heals, five or six yards away from it, is staggering for a striker who has scored prolificly, albeit at lower levels. We were watching him do it against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday for a bit (bored) and you can tell by the look on his face after it's happened that he realises he should have been there, but he just doesn't have the knack of it.

The great goalscorers of his size, build and style talk about it just being instinctive, just having a nose for a space and where the ball is going to go. Billy Sharp is a realistic target for him to aim for at our level - somebody who struggled to step up from League One to here but has eventually carved out a good living and scored quite regularly. Even he's always had that nose for where to be in the area.

Not sure if it's a confidence thing, to me he just doesn't look good enough for the level. Guess we'll find out if he goes to Sheff Utd.

My opinion exactly.
Washington on 13:10 - Aug 31 with 1935 viewsYorkRanger

My view is that it didn't work out, however his form at Peterborough suggested it was a good buy - whether the price was right is another matter.

Personally I've always thought he has a good attitude and works hard. Some of the football we have played hasn't helped him, but equally I don't think he has that killer striker instinct.

Now watch him go and score a hatful of goals for Sheff Utd. I wish him well
Washington on 13:17 - Aug 31 with 1874 views2Thomas2Bowles

Call me a big head or whatever but I called him out as no good 2 seasons ago, but everyone wanted to give him more time or any excuse that he was not being played the right way

Even in my support for Olly I could not understand him being picked, just does not have it as a striker at this level.

Works hard no end product.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Washington on 13:19 - Aug 31 with 1869 viewsjonno

Washington on 12:59 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

The thing is, as we all know to our cost, that any transfer is a major risk. Even players who have been proven at other clubs at the same or higher level quite often do not work out. Buying players from lower divisions will always be a risk, and not many of them will succeed.
Washington on 13:21 - Aug 31 with 1851 viewsTacticalR

@superhoopdownunder:

'Les was responsible - see this article below
Looks like in January 2016 he signed 3 donkeys'

I didn't say he wasn't responsible, I am just saying that at the time everybody seemed to be saying it was a good idea.

Air hostess clique

Washington on 13:21 - Aug 31 with 1850 viewsEsox_Lucius

Washington on 12:51 - Aug 31 by Gloucs_R

Are you kidding? Oteh is about 5'8!! Not really a target man.

5'10" tall and when you watch him play he definitely plays like a target man. A good physique and some nous go a long way towards compensating for not being 6'7".

The grass is always greener.

Washington on 13:23 - Aug 31 with 1827 viewsTacticalR

Washington on 13:17 - Aug 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Call me a big head or whatever but I called him out as no good 2 seasons ago, but everyone wanted to give him more time or any excuse that he was not being played the right way

Even in my support for Olly I could not understand him being picked, just does not have it as a striker at this level.

Could someone start one of those polls showing:

Who first hated Washington?
Who hated Washington the most?

Air hostess clique

Washington on 13:26 - Aug 31 with 1805 viewsridethewave

Washington on 10:31 - Aug 31 by Antti_Heinola

Not on loan - contract terminated! Bit extreme.
Thanks Conor. Always did his best, never quite worked out for him.

I will not, I’m afraid, be thanking a professional football player for being crap, simply because they ‘tried hard.’ We paid extremely good money for him, paid him a good wage, and given him ample chance to prove himself, and yet he’s never delivered.

Good luck to him indeed, but let’s save the thank you’s.
Washington on 13:27 - Aug 31 with 1802 viewsfrancisbowles

Washington on 12:46 - Aug 31 by qprd

27 in 82 is roughly 1 in 3, or 15 goals a season.

Wells and Hamed are both about 1 in 3 but I suppose the difference is that they have scored at a higher level.
Washington on 13:30 - Aug 31 with 1786 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 13:17 - Aug 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

No big head, it was obvious. He is totally out of his depth. I'll be amazed if even Chris Wilder can coax goals out of him at this level.

Cons
- Not actually quick at all, particularly over more than 3 to 5 yards. Rovers CBs matched him.
- No tricks or dribbling skills, can only cut in his right and easily telegraphed by any half decent defender. Never feints.
- Short, no hold up game
- Doesn't strike shots cleanly, with power or accuracy.
- Can't head
- Can't read the play
- Poor movement

Pros
- Works incredibly hard
- Runs the channels
- Decent(ish) cross
- Decent(sih) touch

Ian Holloway mistakenly wasted A LOT of time saying 'there is a good striker in there' - including changing our formation to give him a target man.

I think it's very clear Les Ferdinand has no eye for player too.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Washington on 13:39 - Aug 31 with 1743 viewsWadR

Agree with Westbourne's assessment of his attributes as a player.

Thought it was an ill thought out signing at the time, chasing the in form lower league form player of the moment without any consideration how he'd fit into our system in a league above.

Wish him well and think it's a great move for him. If he's going to flourish at any club at Championship level (still don't think he will), it'll be Sheff Utd. Playing in a front 2, with attacking, creative players behind and coached by an excellent manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024