Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bus stop in Hounslow 18:58 - Jan 11 with 21396 viewskingo

The soppy TW ats seem to think it is something to be proud of.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:27 - Jan 12 with 2256 viewssmegma

Bus stop in Hounslow on 23:22 - Jan 11 by Rangersw12

Seems like they will try anything to try and make us rivals

Any evidence of this alleged Ray Jones chant or is it another made up story?? If it is true, then that's as low as anyone can go.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:48 - Jan 12 with 2227 viewsPunteR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:06 - Jan 12 by francisbowles

I also agree with Ciderwithrsie but Gilham is poison, he has taken the small grains of truth in what happened 53 years ago whilst ignoring most of the actual facts, and has stoked the embers into the hatred that exists in Bees fans for QUEENS PARK RANGERS.

The hatred is not returned, it is more of a light hearted rivalry from most of our fans and if it were to develop into more than that for a few, it would be the responsibility of this bloke and his followers.

I actually like Brentford, they were the first team I watched regularly in the sixties, just after the talks, and always wanted them to do well over the years, except when they play the RRRRs of course.

They have overtaken us, they are a better team as a result of being run as a better club over the years and we are playing catch up. We need to put all that to one side and concentrate on the plan and trying to keep moving forward.

I used to quite like Brentford too but they have gone down in my eyes recently. The issues with the training ground has been stoked up by Bs fans plus all the snidey tactics at matches.
Fairplay to QPR fans that want to rise above it all but imo they are rivals now.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:00 - Jan 12 with 2197 viewsRangersw12

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:27 - Jan 12 by smegma

Any evidence of this alleged Ray Jones chant or is it another made up story?? If it is true, then that's as low as anyone can go.

Apprently they were singing it outside don't know if anyone filmed it

It will have only been a bunch of kids but they have got form for this kind of thing as they used to sing about Matthew Fox the Fulham fella who got killed at Gillingham
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:22 - Jan 12 with 2069 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 20:09 - Jan 11 by BlackCrowe

if true, then that tells you how much of a big game it is for them. The way to judge rivalry for me is when Chelsea aren't even in the same division, i get a spring in my step when they lose. To a much much lesser extent for Fulham too. For Brentford not even a twitch.

it's a handy away game that's all.

After I first moved to London (early 80's), I ended up living in W5 and started going to GP. At that time, Bees "rivals" appeared to be Fulham.
But I got to know an old geezer who ran the local greengrocers, who had been a Bees fan since the 1930's (even earlier?).
He put me right on the club's history, namely QPR and Brentford were always the local rivals, with Fulham's rivals being Chelsea - they share the same Borough after all.
It's the same elsewhere in London, where (some) fans of (some) clubs claim new "rivals" as a means of hiding their true origins.
So for WHU and Chelsea fans, their rivals aren't Spurs, they're Millwall and Fulham respectively.
That's how it's always been, and how it should always be.
Though I'm not sure who Bees will adopt should QPR finally go bust under Mad Tony.
Hounslow Borough FC?
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:29 - Jan 12 with 2048 viewsRangersw12

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:22 - Jan 12 by NewBee

After I first moved to London (early 80's), I ended up living in W5 and started going to GP. At that time, Bees "rivals" appeared to be Fulham.
But I got to know an old geezer who ran the local greengrocers, who had been a Bees fan since the 1930's (even earlier?).
He put me right on the club's history, namely QPR and Brentford were always the local rivals, with Fulham's rivals being Chelsea - they share the same Borough after all.
It's the same elsewhere in London, where (some) fans of (some) clubs claim new "rivals" as a means of hiding their true origins.
So for WHU and Chelsea fans, their rivals aren't Spurs, they're Millwall and Fulham respectively.
Though I'm not sure who Bees will adopt should QPR finally go bust under Mad Tony.
Hounslow Borough FC?

Sorry fella

You will always be irrelevant to us however much you try and create a rivalry
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:30 - Jan 12 with 2044 viewsBoston

Hounslow Borough FC?

FYI, we’re in the same Borough as F&C.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:38 - Jan 12 with 2019 viewsWatford_Ranger

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:48 - Jan 12 by PunteR

I used to quite like Brentford too but they have gone down in my eyes recently. The issues with the training ground has been stoked up by Bs fans plus all the snidey tactics at matches.
Fairplay to QPR fans that want to rise above it all but imo they are rivals now.

I just can’t bring myself to really hate them at all. If I was a kid now and we’d been playing them regularly through my life it might be different but it’s a similar one to Reading, for me, in that they’re trying a bit too hard for something that isn’t there. Maybe it’s different too for people who grew up locally. Totally envious of the way Benham has built the club but no more so than at Brighton, for example.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:42 - Jan 12 with 2011 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 20:45 - Jan 11 by kingo

He is poison. He has twisted the facts about what happened to make QPR in to the villains. Misses out the fact that they were going out of business and they came to Loftus Road to beg Jim Gregory. But don’t let the facts get in the way.

"... they came to Loftus Road to beg"

Who exactly do you mean by "they"?

The attempted takeover was essentially a plan between two individuals, Gregory and Bees Chairman Jack Dunnett, to cut losses/make a profit by merging the two clubs and selling one of the grounds. Dunnett was actually a politician (MP for Nottingham) who was using football for his own ends. The fact that he later became owner of Notts County and Chairman of the Football League shows how much he really felt for Brentford.

The real story of this episode was that it was one of the first occasions (the first ever?) where Fan Power, in the shape of public demonstrations, protests, bucket collections and share purchases etc thwarted the ambitions of a greedy owner from destroying the club they loved.

In my own view, it is a bit childish for Bees fans to "hate" QPR and their fans for what a long-gone owner tried to do to the Bees, since football clubs are not the owner's personal plaything and besides, it was over half a century ago.

And by the same token, QPR fans should actually be pretty grateful to Brentford, since it was Bees fans' efforts which prevented you leaving Loftus Road to play at a bus stop in Hounslow.

Btw, there's no need to thanks us, six points a season is quite enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:53 - Jan 12 with 1984 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:27 - Jan 12 by smegma

I must confess I had to google "Ray Jones/QPR" to see what this was about (forgive my ignorance). And I suspect the majority of Bees fans may be the same.

Either way, I was at the game yesterday and didn't hear anything like this and being in the noisiest section (terrace) I would say with complete confidence that it wasn't sung or chanted by anyone.

Which is not to say that some small bunch of toerags might not have tried it away from the ground, possibly in an attempt to wind up R's fans, but if they did, it in no way represents the overwhelming majority of our support, who would rightly be outraged at being associated with such vile and offensive behaviour.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:55 - Jan 12 with 1971 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:29 - Jan 12 by Rangersw12

Sorry fella

You will always be irrelevant to us however much you try and create a rivalry

But that's the point, the rivalry emerged long before you or I was even heard of.

And the fact of threads like show that it still endures.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 14:19]
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:57 - Jan 12 with 1963 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:30 - Jan 12 by Boston

FYI, we’re in the same Borough as F&C.

So you're in a threesome, then?

I guess Fulham and Chelsea needed someone to hold the camera...
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:07 - Jan 12 with 1938 viewsdaveB

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:42 - Jan 12 by NewBee

The attempted takeover was essentially a plan between two individuals, Gregory and Bees Chairman Jack Dunnett, to cut losses/make a profit by merging the two clubs and selling one of the grounds. Dunnett was actually a politician (MP for Nottingham) who was using football for his own ends. The fact that he later became owner of Notts County and Chairman of the Football League shows how much he really felt for Brentford.

The real story of this episode was that it was one of the first occasions (the first ever?) where Fan Power, in the shape of public demonstrations, protests, bucket collections and share purchases etc thwarted the ambitions of a greedy owner from destroying the club they loved.

In my own view, it is a bit childish for Bees fans to "hate" QPR and their fans for what a long-gone owner tried to do to the Bees, since football clubs are not the owner's personal plaything and besides, it was over half a century ago.

And by the same token, QPR fans should actually be pretty grateful to Brentford, since it was Bees fans' efforts which prevented you leaving Loftus Road to play at a bus stop in Hounslow.

it should be pointed out that QPR fans marched with Brentford fans at the time and fought against the takeover same as we did when the Fulham merger was mooted, something that many Brentford fans like to forget
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:11 - Jan 12 with 1926 viewsRangersw12

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:55 - Jan 12 by NewBee

But that's the point, the rivalry emerged long before you or I was even heard of.

And the fact of threads like show that it still endures.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 14:19]

I don't know any Rangers who class you as rivals which shows any rivalry there was is from a bygone era
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:14 - Jan 12 with 1918 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Hounslow Borough FC?

If your basis for rivalry is geography then the old man clearly didn't know what he was talking about and neither do you. QPR and Brentford were never rivals as the latter is not even in London. QPR, Chelsea and Fulham were rivals - not only are all 3 in London, they share the same borough. If you moved to W5 in the early 80s then you would know this so you're clearly not the sharpest tool in the box. In any event, I wouldn't worry your empty little head about QPR going bust as Brentford fans have shown themselves to be more than adept at inventing new rivalries.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 14:16]
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:15 - Jan 12 with 1913 viewskingo

Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:42 - Jan 12 by NewBee

Read up on the actual events of 1967 and not the poison version spread by Peter Gilham. Dennis Signy, who was Brentford CEO at the time and personally inviolvrd tells the events in full. But in short, Brentford we’re going out of business as the tax man was had given them 24 hours to pay an unpaid bill. Brentford had a 38000 ground but were getting crowds of around 3000. QPR were getting 20-25000 at the time. Brentford has the idea of ground sharing with QPR settling their debt and sent a delegation to Loftus Road to ask Jim Gregory if he would be interested, Dennis Signy was present. The news broke in various papers and Brentford then managed to get supporters to contribute and pay their tax bill and no merger happened. So no hostile takeover, unlike the story Gilham has spread around and used his position within BFC to promote and stir up hatred. The petty actions of yesterday have Gilham written all over them. I , along with many QPR fans used to go to Brentford as a second team in the 70s and 80s, but Gilham has singled handily stopped that. To start off with it was funny, with his reading out of results at half time, but yesterday proved he has taken it to a whole new level. Read the facts from someone who was party to the events and stop listening to the fake news that Gilham has spread.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:18 - Jan 12 with 1896 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:07 - Jan 12 by daveB

it should be pointed out that QPR fans marched with Brentford fans at the time and fought against the takeover same as we did when the Fulham merger was mooted, something that many Brentford fans like to forget

Fair point.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:21 - Jan 12 with 1879 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bus stop in Hounslow on 09:23 - Jan 12 by distortR

I had ciderwithrosie about right, I didn't and i expect he didn't know about the that last piece of scummy w&nk.

No, I didn't, and I think it despicable.

If the thread was about that then they deserve all the flak going. But it wasn't so far as I could see.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:28 - Jan 12 with 1858 viewsdistortR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:21 - Jan 12 by CiderwithRsie

No, I didn't, and I think it despicable.

If the thread was about that then they deserve all the flak going. But it wasn't so far as I could see.

tbh mate, i thought it low of kingo to suggest that your post was condoning that behaviour.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:37 - Jan 12 with 1824 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:14 - Jan 12 by Benny_the_Ball

If your basis for rivalry is geography then the old man clearly didn't know what he was talking about and neither do you. QPR and Brentford were never rivals as the latter is not even in London. QPR, Chelsea and Fulham were rivals - not only are all 3 in London, they share the same borough. If you moved to W5 in the early 80s then you would know this so you're clearly not the sharpest tool in the box. In any event, I wouldn't worry your empty little head about QPR going bust as Brentford fans have shown themselves to be more than adept at inventing new rivalries.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 14:16]

You are mistaking "geography" for proximity.

The same mistake is made eg by some sad Arsenal fans who point out that when Spurs were formed, Tottenham wasn't even in London (like eg Brentford, it was classed as Middlesex), so they're not really London rivals etc.

By contrast, although Spurs fans love to taunt Arsenal for coming from Woolwich*, they all accept that the two are genuine North London rivals.

* - Apparently the club's true origins were in the more down-market Plumstead, but Woolwich had a greater cachet in those days. Which is a bit like Gus Mears forming Chelsea FC in 1905 after he had failed to persuade Fulham FC to move into the athletics stadium he had just bought. He toyed with the idea of calling the club eg "Stamford Bridge FC" or "Kensington FC", before settling on Chelsea, since it sounded more prestigious. Though as we all know, calling a turd a treasure doesn't make it any less of a turd.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:44 - Jan 12 with 1807 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:15 - Jan 12 by kingo

Read up on the actual events of 1967 and not the poison version spread by Peter Gilham. Dennis Signy, who was Brentford CEO at the time and personally inviolvrd tells the events in full. But in short, Brentford we’re going out of business as the tax man was had given them 24 hours to pay an unpaid bill. Brentford had a 38000 ground but were getting crowds of around 3000. QPR were getting 20-25000 at the time. Brentford has the idea of ground sharing with QPR settling their debt and sent a delegation to Loftus Road to ask Jim Gregory if he would be interested, Dennis Signy was present. The news broke in various papers and Brentford then managed to get supporters to contribute and pay their tax bill and no merger happened. So no hostile takeover, unlike the story Gilham has spread around and used his position within BFC to promote and stir up hatred. The petty actions of yesterday have Gilham written all over them. I , along with many QPR fans used to go to Brentford as a second team in the 70s and 80s, but Gilham has singled handily stopped that. To start off with it was funny, with his reading out of results at half time, but yesterday proved he has taken it to a whole new level. Read the facts from someone who was party to the events and stop listening to the fake news that Gilham has spread.

You miss my point.

It was Dunnett, not "Brentford FC" or "Brentford fans", who was behind this proposal, with Gregory happy to go along since he would get a bigger stadium, while keeping his own club in existence.

Which is why it is silly imo for fans of either club to "hate" the other for what (nearly) happened.

God knows, we've got plenty of other reasons...
Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:47 - Jan 12 with 1792 viewsdistortR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:37 - Jan 12 by NewBee

The same mistake is made eg by some sad Arsenal fans who point out that when Spurs were formed, Tottenham wasn't even in London (like eg Brentford, it was classed as Middlesex), so they're not really London rivals etc.

By contrast, although Spurs fans love to taunt Arsenal for coming from Woolwich*, they all accept that the two are genuine North London rivals.

* - Apparently the club's true origins were in the more down-market Plumstead, but Woolwich had a greater cachet in those days. Which is a bit like Gus Mears forming Chelsea FC in 1905 after he had failed to persuade Fulham FC to move into the athletics stadium he had just bought. He toyed with the idea of calling the club eg "Stamford Bridge FC" or "Kensington FC", before settling on Chelsea, since it sounded more prestigious. Though as we all know, calling a turd a treasure doesn't make it any less of a turd.

very informative, really interested in spurs and arsenal, which is why i didn't google it for myself.

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:50 - Jan 12 with 1778 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oh my God, you poor petal, you're absolutely desperate for us to hate you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:57 - Jan 12 with 1762 viewsstowmarketrange

How could we have been rivals in the 30’s when your team were in the 1st division for a part of that decade and we were 2 divisions below you?
Absolute rubbish that we were ever rivals until 1967 gave them an excuse to hate someone else apart from aldershot.
And for sky to parade this tosh yesterday is even worse.Get over yourselves.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:00 - Jan 12 with 1754 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 14:50 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Oh my God, you poor petal, you're absolutely desperate for us to hate you.

Not "desparate" at all. I mean, I would still see the two clubs as "local rivals" even after we are in the PL. And you're not.

Beyond that, while a good old local rivalry adds wlecome spice to derby matches, imo there should be no room for "hatred" in football.

I reserve that eg for paedophiles and scumbags who mug little old ladies etc.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:03 - Jan 12 with 1737 viewsdistortR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:00 - Jan 12 by NewBee

Not "desparate" at all. I mean, I would still see the two clubs as "local rivals" even after we are in the PL. And you're not.

Beyond that, while a good old local rivalry adds wlecome spice to derby matches, imo there should be no room for "hatred" in football.

I reserve that eg for paedophiles and scumbags who mug little old ladies etc.

tbf, Brian didn't call you "desparate"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024