Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread? 15:43 - Oct 9 with 10523 viewsCleedale

Couldn't find one...but not good so far...in fact we just can't get anything in the last third.
Match Thread? on 18:57 - Oct 9 with 3284 viewsBarrowdale

Well one positive:
Im positive that if we play 5 at the back and Beesley 30 yds farther up the field than the next player, we will go down.
So
1. Play 442 ffs and give Beesley some bloody help.
2. Drop Morley for now because he’s liability.
3. If its not working, bloody change it, not swap like for like. Its back to the definition of insanity!
4. If our post match interviewer is going to ask the same inane easy questions dont bother. Try “why so deep?”, why 5 at the back, why 361 formation.

He can have another 3 or 4 games for me but when all and I mean ALL THE CROWD CAN SEE THE ISSUES, why is RS oblivious? Sort it quickly
Match Thread? on 19:26 - Oct 9 with 3086 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread? on 18:23 - Oct 9 by D_Alien

In business or healthcare for instance, mentorship is recognised for precisely those reasons

Football at L2 level? Nah. If you can't see what needs changing yourself, you're in the wrong job, and *imo* players can sniff out something like that at a million paces

I believe Stockdale has what it takes to succeed, but needs to stand or fall without someone having to cajole him

None of us know if RS has yet felt the need to seek any mentoring yet. I doubt SL would ever make any suggestions re tactics or selection, that isn’t what he is there for.
TBH the mentor thing is a red herring. If we were in the playoffs it wouldn’t even be giving a second thought.
Surprised and discouraged about how quickly things have deteriorated, given the injury free time we have had.
Unlike others I have no suggestions, just prayer.
Match Thread? on 19:58 - Oct 9 with 2944 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread? on 19:26 - Oct 9 by jonahwhereru

None of us know if RS has yet felt the need to seek any mentoring yet. I doubt SL would ever make any suggestions re tactics or selection, that isn’t what he is there for.
TBH the mentor thing is a red herring. If we were in the playoffs it wouldn’t even be giving a second thought.
Surprised and discouraged about how quickly things have deteriorated, given the injury free time we have had.
Unlike others I have no suggestions, just prayer.

It's a fair point about "if we were in the playoffs..." But...

Sammy Lee has spent about as much time as a manager (Bolton in 2007) as Stockdale has. Whether it's about tactics or having him there as a sounding-board, i simply disagree that Stockdale should be in need of someone who was cited in some kind of official capacity when he took the role at Dale

Let me put it another way. Given the obvious nature of the need for a change of tactics, if SL wasn't giving him that advice and instead telling him to stick to his guns then it's wrong. And if he was telling him to change things and Robbie's ignored it, then SL's redundant. Either way, i just don't think it's the right approach psychologically

[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 20:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread? on 20:30 - Oct 9 with 2847 viewsEllDale

RS has a sound bite where he says that he’s at risk of sounding like a broken record.
I’m feeling that way because I’m writing the same things week after week.
There isn’t a natural goal scorer in the team; that was a shocking miss from Odoh just before halftime and the bloke keeps missing sitters week after week so why keep playing him upfront.
I guess that the manger still hasn’t decided which two from Odoh, Newby, Cashman or Grant to play alongside (in theory) Beesley.
But keep shuffling them isn’t solving the problem.
As for the three at the back defensive formation I think that we’ve signed a couple of young, lumpen stoppers in Graham and Dorsett but that’s exactly what they are, stoppers.
Either of them could be terribly exposed as part of a flat back four.
Visiting teams come here with gnarled, experienced defenders who know the game inside out. What to do and when to do it.
We just have two athletic lads who can only knock the ball long with no-one part Beesley to aim for.
Why we keep taking these short goalkicks when the skill level is so low I don’t know.
I agree about the goal as well. Morley made a cardinal mistake but there was a catalogue of errors before the ball fell to him
This excuse that RS had only a short period of time to build a squad and blend a team is wearing thin.
Swindon were even worse off than we were at the end of July and look where they are now.
There were positives, there always are.
White looked good and sharp before he understandably tired. Kelly looked positive ditto.
But it could be a long hard winter at this rate.
Thank God for Oldham and Scunthorpe but we couldn’t beat either of those at home.
Or score a single goal.
Match Thread? on 20:59 - Oct 9 with 2714 views49thseason

The worrying thing was not so much the result but the lack of fight , the lack of passion and the lack of willingness to get stuck into some full-blooded tackles..10 minutes to go , 1-0 down and the whole team is standing off their players instead of getting stuck in and forcing them into errors.

I suspect these kids have never had to battle in their lives, they have arrived from the cossetted world of academy football where the "technical skills" are valued more than sheer guts. From back to front they seemed unable to fathom out what was being done to them, the pushes, nudges, and downright foul play and a referee who didn't want to bother with it. Instead of just dishing it right back, they retreated.

It seems we have gone from tippy tappy to flicks and tricks when what we need are guts, pace and power. My advice for Stockdale is to forget the footballs for a week and get some wrestling and rugby training done for a few days and try to turn these boys into men.

As I said last week , we have been found out... "get in their faces, they don't like it" ."keep the pressure up, they will crack"
It also seems that Morley is starting to believe his stats are all he needs to worry about. As last year, he is back to playing the occasional worldy pass out wide but spends too much time looking at his own goalkeeper, Beesley clearly needs a partner, is he a target man or a striker? He clearly cant be both, he needs to be attacking the 6 yard box, not trying to out-muscle a giant centre half. and he needs a partner within a few yards not two wide players who have no one to cross to .

Today was shambolic, make no mistake L2 is about strength, and power, if we don't find the will to go toe to toe, a midfield scrapper to break play up and a couple of actual forwards who know where the net is we are in the deep and smelly stuff.

And just in case anyone wondered why there were so few attending,.. Our home form has ben deteriorating season by season for the last 5 seasons:
In 16 /17 we gained 2 points per Home Game ( won 13)
In 17/18 1.3 ppHG (won 6)
1n 18/19 1.2 ppHG (won 8)
In 19/20 0.84 ppHG ( won 5 from 16 games)
In 20/21 0.91ppHG (won 4)
In 21/22 0.83 pts per home game ( won 1 in 6)
Match Thread? on 21:04 - Oct 9 with 2686 viewsEllDale

Oh, I forgot to add, the game wasn’t helped by an inept display from the referee.
Totally bad for both sides.
He only seemed keen on making players take throw-ins from roughly the right place.
Everything else seemed a mystery to him.
Bring back Andy Haines.
Match Thread? on 21:19 - Oct 9 with 2632 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread? on 20:59 - Oct 9 by 49thseason

The worrying thing was not so much the result but the lack of fight , the lack of passion and the lack of willingness to get stuck into some full-blooded tackles..10 minutes to go , 1-0 down and the whole team is standing off their players instead of getting stuck in and forcing them into errors.

I suspect these kids have never had to battle in their lives, they have arrived from the cossetted world of academy football where the "technical skills" are valued more than sheer guts. From back to front they seemed unable to fathom out what was being done to them, the pushes, nudges, and downright foul play and a referee who didn't want to bother with it. Instead of just dishing it right back, they retreated.

It seems we have gone from tippy tappy to flicks and tricks when what we need are guts, pace and power. My advice for Stockdale is to forget the footballs for a week and get some wrestling and rugby training done for a few days and try to turn these boys into men.

As I said last week , we have been found out... "get in their faces, they don't like it" ."keep the pressure up, they will crack"
It also seems that Morley is starting to believe his stats are all he needs to worry about. As last year, he is back to playing the occasional worldy pass out wide but spends too much time looking at his own goalkeeper, Beesley clearly needs a partner, is he a target man or a striker? He clearly cant be both, he needs to be attacking the 6 yard box, not trying to out-muscle a giant centre half. and he needs a partner within a few yards not two wide players who have no one to cross to .

Today was shambolic, make no mistake L2 is about strength, and power, if we don't find the will to go toe to toe, a midfield scrapper to break play up and a couple of actual forwards who know where the net is we are in the deep and smelly stuff.

And just in case anyone wondered why there were so few attending,.. Our home form has ben deteriorating season by season for the last 5 seasons:
In 16 /17 we gained 2 points per Home Game ( won 13)
In 17/18 1.3 ppHG (won 6)
1n 18/19 1.2 ppHG (won 8)
In 19/20 0.84 ppHG ( won 5 from 16 games)
In 20/21 0.91ppHG (won 4)
In 21/22 0.83 pts per home game ( won 1 in 6)

Cant really argue with a thing in that post 49, the lack of bollox against Oldham was staggering and we just shit ourselves and got bullied all over the pitch, it seems to be becoming a theme, again we massively need someone hard who puts himself about in the middle like a Jones,Reid type of character and someone to partner Beesley up front, he clearly doesn't know who his 2 best wide players are either.
Match Thread? on 22:54 - Oct 9 with 2416 viewsHullDale

We feel a bit confused, I think.

- We have 1/2 a squad of players who are SMALL (morley, dooley, cashman, odoh, kelly etc) and its as if we think we can 'out football' the big physical league 2 teams.

- We also have 1/2 a squad of big physical players who can lump it about but aren't particularly technical (as if that's what we think needs to happen in Lg2).

- We suffer a lot against the dark acts of 'injuries', time wasting etc. but at the same time...

- We seem to be obsessed with diving in the final third rather than finalising opportunities, and talk about being 'horrible to play against' whilst throwing arms in the air every time the opposition look at us the wrong way.

- O'Connell today looked fed up, frustrated and annoyed and that (for want of a better word) angst clearly filters through the team.

- The amount of times today we passed to somebody from a set piece who looked surprised to receive the ball, or placed the ball down for a set piece and nobody went to take it, is unbelievable.

If we don't want to be dragged into a relegation dogfight there is real work to do. I don't doubt Stockdale wants to do well, has real potential, & has a lot of talent - but until he starts owning the squad and we see incremental improvement (or at least maintenance of a decent standard) we are in trouble, & he will be inviting pressure on himself. Its early in the season, but the reaction from the squad next Saturday could give us a good indication of how the rest of the season will pan out.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 22:54]
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread? on 10:48 - Oct 10 with 1939 viewsjudd

Not making any excuses for that performance but did anyone else think their goal was offside?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread? on 10:53 - Oct 10 with 1926 views442Dale

Match Thread? on 10:48 - Oct 10 by judd

Not making any excuses for that performance but did anyone else think their goal was offside?

Yeah, looked like it could be though the video shows O’Keeffe slip and he possibly playing the scorer on before he gets back up.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread? on 15:32 - Oct 10 with 1689 viewsbluevein64

Match Thread? on 20:30 - Oct 9 by EllDale

RS has a sound bite where he says that he’s at risk of sounding like a broken record.
I’m feeling that way because I’m writing the same things week after week.
There isn’t a natural goal scorer in the team; that was a shocking miss from Odoh just before halftime and the bloke keeps missing sitters week after week so why keep playing him upfront.
I guess that the manger still hasn’t decided which two from Odoh, Newby, Cashman or Grant to play alongside (in theory) Beesley.
But keep shuffling them isn’t solving the problem.
As for the three at the back defensive formation I think that we’ve signed a couple of young, lumpen stoppers in Graham and Dorsett but that’s exactly what they are, stoppers.
Either of them could be terribly exposed as part of a flat back four.
Visiting teams come here with gnarled, experienced defenders who know the game inside out. What to do and when to do it.
We just have two athletic lads who can only knock the ball long with no-one part Beesley to aim for.
Why we keep taking these short goalkicks when the skill level is so low I don’t know.
I agree about the goal as well. Morley made a cardinal mistake but there was a catalogue of errors before the ball fell to him
This excuse that RS had only a short period of time to build a squad and blend a team is wearing thin.
Swindon were even worse off than we were at the end of July and look where they are now.
There were positives, there always are.
White looked good and sharp before he understandably tired. Kelly looked positive ditto.
But it could be a long hard winter at this rate.
Thank God for Oldham and Scunthorpe but we couldn’t beat either of those at home.
Or score a single goal.

There's been some poignant and honest posts through out the forum following the Crawley defeat , for me this post from Elldale is up there with the best of them - much of what has been typed seems very similar to the thoughts/feelings which I have had the misfortune to have experienced.
How many more times are we expecting to see Morley attempting a clearance but instead passing to an opposition player which results in Dale conceding a goal - surely it's a simple case of booting the ball hard and high for an opposition throw in.
I'd also like to share my observations regarding Odoh and his hair extensions, I suspect that he'll be carrying an extra two pounds in water weight on his head during future games when there's a heavy down poor of rain !
Match Thread? on 16:01 - Oct 10 with 1618 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread? on 10:48 - Oct 10 by judd

I've just played it back and frozen it at the point of the initial shot. I reckon he might just about be level with O'Keeffe.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 16:03]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread? on 10:56 - Oct 11 with 1234 viewsDaleiLama

Not much to add to this thread that hasn't already been said. It must be tremendously dispiriting for Bees and the team knowing that an opponent can allocate one or two CBs to outmuscle/foul/prevent him from playing (and Saturday's ref let them all afternoon) as this, at present, is our main (almost only) mode of attack. Neutralise him and you neutralise the team. No plan B was a failing in BBM's day and mustn't become one in Robbie's.

After that woeful Latics home game, we had 2 games where the weather arguably played a part in randomising the outcome, but we have gone backwards in more than one way since then. Not only was the Crawley fixture bereft of almost anything positive, but I noticed that in the huge majority of occasions when we were pressurised, we immediately turned back to our own goal. I know this is the "% play" and arguably the lowest risk option, but by God it was awful to watch and we are not only going to go down the stats leagues, we'll do the same in L2 if we continue to play scared and misplace as many passes as we did as we aren't even going to create the chances we have been profligately been failing to convert.

Ironically, I treated myself to and collected a 100y anniversary goody box on Saturday. I was looking forward to wearing the shirt with pride. I didn't see too many of our players doing that on Saturday. Sadly.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread? on 13:36 - Oct 11 with 1111 viewsShun

Match Thread? on 10:56 - Oct 11 by DaleiLama

Not much to add to this thread that hasn't already been said. It must be tremendously dispiriting for Bees and the team knowing that an opponent can allocate one or two CBs to outmuscle/foul/prevent him from playing (and Saturday's ref let them all afternoon) as this, at present, is our main (almost only) mode of attack. Neutralise him and you neutralise the team. No plan B was a failing in BBM's day and mustn't become one in Robbie's.

After that woeful Latics home game, we had 2 games where the weather arguably played a part in randomising the outcome, but we have gone backwards in more than one way since then. Not only was the Crawley fixture bereft of almost anything positive, but I noticed that in the huge majority of occasions when we were pressurised, we immediately turned back to our own goal. I know this is the "% play" and arguably the lowest risk option, but by God it was awful to watch and we are not only going to go down the stats leagues, we'll do the same in L2 if we continue to play scared and misplace as many passes as we did as we aren't even going to create the chances we have been profligately been failing to convert.

Ironically, I treated myself to and collected a 100y anniversary goody box on Saturday. I was looking forward to wearing the shirt with pride. I didn't see too many of our players doing that on Saturday. Sadly.

With regards to your last point, it's been said a few times on here this season but following the match Done was the only player who remained to applaud the fans. He even made a point of approaching all three home ends to do so. It doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, but after such a woeful defeat it is nice when the players appreciate what the game is all about - the fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024