Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich 13:02 - Feb 14 with 110988 viewsloftboy

Should the worst happen and the Russians invade, I suspect that many rich Russians in the UK will be part of the proposed sanctions, could this affect our foes down the road?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 11:53 - Feb 28 with 3692 viewsSonofpugwash

Boris has just ordered all Russian Vodka to be taken down from the shelves and sent round to his place.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 12:02 - Feb 28 with 3657 viewsslmrstid

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:35 - Feb 28 by PunteR

I think we should kick Russian Bot off this forum.

The Bot got Booted off ages ago didn't he? Probably too busy swimming in his crypto millions anyway to worry too much about any of this anyway
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 12:17 - Feb 28 with 3610 viewsDixie_CT

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 11:33 - Feb 28 by GloryHunter

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is trying to broker a peaceful end to the war in Ukraine, his spokesman said.

The Russian-Israeli billionaire has come under pressure to speak out following the invasion of Ukraine by Vladimir Putin’s forces, PA Media reported.

There have been calls in parliament for him to face sanctions as a major oligarch “with links to the Russian state”.

A spokesman for the Chelsea owner said:

I can confirm that Roman Abramovich was contacted by the Ukrainian side for support in achieving a peaceful resolution, and that he has been trying to help ever since.

Considering what is at stake, we would ask for your understanding as to why we have not commented on neither the situation as such nor his involvement.

Abramovich’s involvement followed a request from the Ukrainian film producer Alexander Rodnyansky. There were no further details about Abramovich’s role, although it was acknowledged his influence was “limited”.

“I can confirm that the Ukrainian side have been trying to find someone in Russia willing to help them in finding a peaceful resolution,” Rodnyansky said. He added:

They are connected to Roman Abramovich through the Jewish community and reached out to him for help. Roman Abramovich has been trying to mobilise support for a peaceful resolution ever since.

Although Roman Abramovich’s influence is limited, he is the only one who responded and taken it upon himself to try.

If this will have an impact or not, I don’t know, but I am in contact with (Ukraine president Volodymyr) Zelenskiy’s staff myself, and know that they are grateful for his genuine efforts.

Abramovich stepped back from day-to-day running of Chelsea on Saturday night, handing stewardship to the west London club’s charitable foundation trustees

An interesting aside maybe, a trustee of QPR in the Comminuty Trust also sits on the board of the CFC Foundation.

So technically, QPR are now part of the stewardship of Chelsea!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 12:18]
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 12:59 - Feb 28 with 3489 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

If any positives can be taken from this at all (hard I know) - now that they've discovered their moral compass, how likely is it that the Premier and Football Leagues will look at the ownership of ALL clubs with questionable owners?
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 13:20 - Feb 28 with 3423 viewsslmrstid

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 12:59 - Feb 28 by Orthodox_Hoop

If any positives can be taken from this at all (hard I know) - now that they've discovered their moral compass, how likely is it that the Premier and Football Leagues will look at the ownership of ALL clubs with questionable owners?

Not very likely at all, I suspect.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 14:18 - Feb 28 with 3284 viewsAirtomoreira

"Russia’s foreign minister Sergei Lavrov has cancelled his visit to the United Nations in Geneva due to “anti-Russian sanctions” imposed by EU countries, Russia’s mission in Geneva has said.

Lavrov had been scheduled to address the UN Human Rights Council and the Conference on Disarmament in person on Tuesday."

Erm, let me just check I've understood this. He was due to address the UN Human Rights Council and the Conference on Disarmament. Presumably to state that he believes in neither?
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 14:51 - Feb 28 with 3209 viewsBoston

Kudos to Judo’s😀

International Judo Federation remove Putin as their honorary figurehead. Probably told him to belt up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:08 - Feb 28 with 3169 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 14:51 - Feb 28 by Boston

Kudos to Judo’s😀

International Judo Federation remove Putin as their honorary figurehead. Probably told him to belt up.

Judo tells Putin he’s a belt end!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:12 - Feb 28 with 3156 viewsToast_R

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 14:51 - Feb 28 by Boston

Kudos to Judo’s😀

Thrown under the bus
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:39 - Feb 28 with 3082 viewsCamberleyR

FIFA finally grow a pair
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60560567

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:58 - Feb 28 with 2993 viewsJuzzie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:39 - Feb 28 by CamberleyR

FIFA finally grow a pair
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60560567

Shame they didn't do that in the first place.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:08 - Feb 28 with 2954 viewsderbyhoop

Who got WWIII in 2022 Sh1t bingo?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 18:02 - Feb 28 with 2784 viewsGreenbay

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:53 - Feb 25 by Greenbay

Every Russian sports team and every Russian individual sportsperson should not be allowed to compete immediately in anything and anywhere.
This should happen straight away - a blanket ban.
All the Governing bodies of all sports should make this decision now.
Although this would be hard - as an example - on say Russian tennis players Daniil Medvedev - the new world number 1 and Andrey Rublev who has just reached the Dubai final, we have to think of the Ukrainian people and what they are going through now.
Rublev - following his victory today, wrote on the TV camera - 'No war please'.
Both are really nice guys - both are wonderful sportsmen - but we have to look at the bigger picture.
This immediate ban on Russian sport will have some effect.
Will it happen - highly unlikely - although there is some encouragement with the Russian F1 Grand Prix being moved along with the Champions League soccer final. It's a start.

At last - it's happening - FIFA, UEFA, and the IOC have finally come to their senses.
But more needs to be done - an absolute total ban on all Russian sports teams and individuals - whatever the sport - immediately.
It's not the individuals fault.
All these Governing bodies need to look at the big picture.
Sorry too for the Russian people.
They are going to get hit very hard within 10 days or so following the sanctions.
And we are going to get hit hard too.
But it has to be done - otherwise none of us will be following QPR hopefully in the Premier next season!
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 18:36 - Feb 28 with 2694 viewsessextaxiboy

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:58 - Feb 28 by Juzzie

They were always going to do it although they should have said nothing over the weekend and gone straight to it .
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 18:38]
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:07 - Feb 28 with 2550 viewsKonk

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 18:36 - Feb 28 by essextaxiboy

They were always going to do it although they should have said nothing over the weekend and gone straight to it .
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 18:38]

Big respect to Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic for putting FIFA in a position where even they couldn't avoid doing the right thing for once.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:12 - Feb 28 with 2530 viewsTomS

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:58 - Feb 28 by Juzzie

I suspect some key sponsors may have expressed discomfort at FIFA's initial response to the situation, which may have prompted a quick rethink.....

Ethics had never been their strong point, but potential loss of revenue will always get their attention.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:32 - Feb 28 with 2465 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:12 - Feb 28 by TomS

I suspect some key sponsors may have expressed discomfort at FIFA's initial response to the situation, which may have prompted a quick rethink.....

Ethics had never been their strong point, but potential loss of revenue will always get their attention.

Most likely.

There's been a lot of wars during FIFA's time on Earth. I'd be amazed if they have an Ethics Board that deliberates on whether they should ban the warring Nations in each case. I'd be amazed if they even consider doing so for a split second unless sponsors dictate.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 21:01 - Feb 28 with 2383 viewsBoston

And still, we buy Russian oil, sixty million dollars a day going to him from the US alone.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 21:37 - Feb 28 with 2276 viewsessextaxiboy

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:12 - Feb 28 by TomS

No World Cup partners will pull out .IMO . They are thinking longer term .
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 2197 viewskensalriser

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 21:01 - Feb 28 by Boston

And still, we buy Russian oil, sixty million dollars a day going to him from the US alone.

A long term strategic error that goes all the way back to the 1974 oil crisis. I say error, but it's more deliberate negligence influenced by the oil industry's well-financed lobbying.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 23:20 - Feb 28 with 2101 viewsRanger_Things

At last Thursday’s press conference Johnson announced that the UK would increase the amount of sanctions to parity with the EU. As of today we’ve targeted 100 individuals and companies whereas the EU have sanctioned around 700. Seems even Boris isn’t stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds him. They’ll be raising a glass to him in Moscow on Thames tonight.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 04:13 - Mar 1 with 1963 viewsessextaxiboy

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 23:20 - Feb 28 by Ranger_Things

At last Thursday’s press conference Johnson announced that the UK would increase the amount of sanctions to parity with the EU. As of today we’ve targeted 100 individuals and companies whereas the EU have sanctioned around 700. Seems even Boris isn’t stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds him. They’ll be raising a glass to him in Moscow on Thames tonight.

The EU population is 6.57 times larger than the UK and many of those used to be Soviet citizens. TBF we cant sanction people who are not here.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:01 - Mar 1 with 1838 viewsRanger_Things

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 04:13 - Mar 1 by essextaxiboy

The EU population is 6.57 times larger than the UK and many of those used to be Soviet citizens. TBF we cant sanction people who are not here.

That’s not how it works Essex. Individuals can live anywhere in the world, stopping them travelling here and freezing their (and businesses) money and assets in this country is the punishment. The UK is Russia’s laundromat and bank.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:28 - Mar 1 with 1807 viewsCiderwithRsie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:01 - Mar 1 by Ranger_Things

That’s not how it works Essex. Individuals can live anywhere in the world, stopping them travelling here and freezing their (and businesses) money and assets in this country is the punishment. The UK is Russia’s laundromat and bank.

It's certainly the case that it is the money that is being sanctioned, not the person.

But to be fair to the UK govt (and I'm not a fan) Liz Truss has said that she is having to work slowly because the Russians all have their lawyers on the case and she needs to be sure that sanctions won't be thrown out by the courts.

We have a scrupulous legal system and some EU countries frankly have fewer safeguards for the individual against the state, it may be easier for them to go fast. If we can grind through then the numbers sanctioned could rise a lot and the pain inflicted will be more, because you're right about where the money is.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:42 - Mar 1 with 1777 viewsnadera78

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 07:28 - Mar 1 by CiderwithRsie

It's certainly the case that it is the money that is being sanctioned, not the person.

But to be fair to the UK govt (and I'm not a fan) Liz Truss has said that she is having to work slowly because the Russians all have their lawyers on the case and she needs to be sure that sanctions won't be thrown out by the courts.

We have a scrupulous legal system and some EU countries frankly have fewer safeguards for the individual against the state, it may be easier for them to go fast. If we can grind through then the numbers sanctioned could rise a lot and the pain inflicted will be more, because you're right about where the money is.

I'm sorry but that comment from Liz Truss was absolute nonsense. The British government has extensive experience of implementing sanctions, they are both imposed and enforced on a daily basis. If the government's lawyers do it properly, and there is no reason whatsoever why they should not given our regular use of them, then no lawyer in the country could get round them. It was, as usual with this government, a statement designed to delay and obfuscate and cover up the lack of action.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024