Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stanley Bowles Stand 17:17 - Mar 7 with 6430 viewsPinnerPaul

Maybe not the desire there people thought?

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/the-stanley-bowles-stand-fundraising-update

I was a little ambivalent on this move by the club at the time, but now think it IS a little petty.

Maybe a compromise can still be reached, remainder of phase one funding IS met by the club but subsequent phases have to be 100% funded by the fans?

No 'right' or 'wrong' answers here I guess?

Just found the article/graphic a little sad and a bit 'non league' if I'm honest
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:23 - Mar 7 with 4117 viewsTGRRRSSS

Huhhhmmmm

Did Man United do a fundraiser to rename the SAF stand the SAF stand?

Petty is about right, and a bit typical of Hoos andn his view of fans in my opinion.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:29 - Mar 7 with 4082 viewsjoe90

Personally I don’t think we should name the stand after him. I don’t think such accolades should go to ‘cult’ players. Unpopular opinion, but Stan is no hero of mine. Yes he was a great player, but I’ve never got the impression he cares that much about the club or football to be honest.

Our greatest achievement was the 66/67, I would much rather we celebrated/remembered the players that actually won something.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:40 - Mar 7 with 4043 viewsdaveB

I don't care either way if they rename the stand or not but this feels like a mistake from the club during a time where cost of living is rising, people have bene unable to work for 2 years and they are going to want our money for season tickets soon, to ask for this as well feels like a piss take. I get why they are doing it but the timing is really poor
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:54 - Mar 7 with 4000 viewsWatfordR

Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:29 - Mar 7 by joe90

Personally I don’t think we should name the stand after him. I don’t think such accolades should go to ‘cult’ players. Unpopular opinion, but Stan is no hero of mine. Yes he was a great player, but I’ve never got the impression he cares that much about the club or football to be honest.

Our greatest achievement was the 66/67, I would much rather we celebrated/remembered the players that actually won something.

Was going to let this go, but I couldn't.

If being the best player in our best EVER team doesn't accord this man the level of respect he deserves from the club, I despair.

In other news, the Great Southern Stand at Melbourne is being renamed as the S K Warne Stand. Presumably without the need for a collection.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:55 - Mar 7 with 3985 viewsknocker

Am I missing something here but how can it cost nearly 7 grand for a bit lettering on the stand?
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:57 - Mar 7 with 3981 viewsdaveB

Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:54 - Mar 7 by WatfordR

If being the best player in our best EVER team doesn't accord this man the level of respect he deserves from the club, I despair.

In other news, the Great Southern Stand at Melbourne is being renamed as the S K Warne Stand. Presumably without the need for a collection.

the counter argument of course is that he did put in multiple transfer requests over the years so can see why some people are not fully in support of it. I'd argue Gerry Francis would be a better choice as he was player from the youth team then manager but I do get why many want it to be named after Stan and as I said have no real problem with them doing that.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:00 - Mar 7 with 3975 viewsNorthernr

Ipswich fans raised £110k for a Kevin Beattie statue over lockdown. Club, fans, media all working together on a campaign to raise it, united behind the cause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-59689097
Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:15 - Mar 7 with 3910 viewsWatfordR

Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:57 - Mar 7 by daveB

the counter argument of course is that he did put in multiple transfer requests over the years so can see why some people are not fully in support of it. I'd argue Gerry Francis would be a better choice as he was player from the youth team then manager but I do get why many want it to be named after Stan and as I said have no real problem with them doing that.

Pretty sure that was a regular little game between him and Jim Gregory to be fair when he was in need of an extra few bob. I can't ever remember him giving it less than his best on the pitch, which is all that really matters to me.

I'd really have no argument with a "trinity statue" of Bowles, Francis and Thomas either. George Best was certainly no angel, but he's still in the trinity statue outside Old Trafford because of the role he played in creating a legacy for Man U.

As you say, the timing of the board's approach to all this is unfortunate with the increasing financial pressure on everyone, and not entirely their fault as things have escalated very rapidly. Had I been given a choice of putting money into this or the training ground bond, I'd have gone with the SBS.
Login to get fewer ads

Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:52 - Mar 7 with 3804 viewsHayesender

If the problem is cost per letter, just take off the LEY. I've always called him Stan anyway

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:52 - Mar 7 with 3796 viewsPunteR

Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:55 - Mar 7 by knocker

Am I missing something here but how can it cost nearly 7 grand for a bit lettering on the stand?

I'll foot the ladder while you get up there and draw it on with a marker pen.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Stanley Bowles Stand on 20:24 - Mar 7 with 3635 viewsRangersw12

I'm sure the fella who runs the Stand Bowles site on Facebook said that 2k was from one donation so it shows there is very little support for it

I still think the club should pay for it but I'm convinced the way this group went about it has rubbed everyone up the wrong way
Stanley Bowles Stand on 20:34 - Mar 7 with 3607 viewsBlackCrowe

Stanley Bowles Stand on 20:24 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

I'm sure the fella who runs the Stand Bowles site on Facebook said that 2k was from one donation so it shows there is very little support for it

I still think the club should pay for it but I'm convinced the way this group went about it has rubbed everyone up the wrong way

Loved Stan as a wonder player and character in my formative supporting years and if the club wants to rename the stand, then i suppose so if they/fan pressures want it, but i don't feel impassioned to contribute to it like i do for Dottie, KPF, Tiger Clubs etc so i won't.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Stanley Bowles Stand on 22:54 - Mar 7 with 3365 viewsLythamR

obviously none of the current board are fans of Stan or the current squad.

I don't blame supporters for not contributing but this is in danger of becoming embarrassing now for QPR
Stanley Bowles Stand on 00:32 - Mar 8 with 3268 viewsnix

It seems to me that there are a minority of people that feel very strongly about it and a lot of people who aren't bothered enough to contribute.

I think the argument about it being a tough time for everyone financially is a poor one tbh. If it was really that popular it would be a bit more than 50p each for an average match day crowd.

As I said in the previous thread, I personally think the club should be looking forward not backwards and appealing to younger fans. I can see why Lee Hoos and the board don't want to pay out for this when there are tons of other priorities that appeal to a wider fan base than this initiative. I don't think it's fair to use this as an argument that he doesn't care about the fans. I think he puts to shame some of the previous executives who've led this club and clearly had contempt for the fans. It's hard to please all of the fans all of the time, but I wouldn't use this as evidence of anything other than the fact is not as popular as some people maintain.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 02:52 - Mar 8 with 3220 viewsnadera78

As people have said repeatedly, this is only your opinion. There are lifelong Rangers fans who'll swear that Gerry Francis was the best player in that team. Others will insist that someone from a different era was the best player we've ever had.

Unfortunately, people who see it your way being bitchy about this on forums or social media is largely to blame for so many fans not wanting anything to do with renaming the Ellerslie Rd Stand.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 08:09 - Mar 8 with 3084 viewsWokingR

I think Hoos has played this perfectly.
Just because a small number make a lot of noise about doing something doesn't necessarily mean that everyone feels the same.
This reminded me of the last fans forum with a couple of people insisting at every opportunity that we had to convert the family stand back to a hardcore area filled with Qpr Ultras.
Really ?!
By putting it in our hands to raise the funding has shown to everyone just how much real interest there is.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 08:57 - Mar 8 with 3015 viewsfrancisbowles

Even though Stan and Gerry along with Rodney were my 'heroes', I don't think that stands should be named after players. If anyone deserves that accolade it's Jim Gregory and maybe Alec Stock.

So I support the club insisting that this initiative is self financing. However, the Legends stand is different. It will recognise many players, and maybe managers etc from our history, is less expensive and I believe the club could regain some good will on this by agreeing to finance phase two.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:18 - Mar 8 with 2988 viewsjoe90

I know some feel strongly about Stan being commemorated in some way, but there clearly isn't the appetite from the fans or club.

To be honest, I actually find it a bit embarrassing, the only thing that would be worse would be a statue. I think it's really naff when other clubs do that sort of thing unless they've actually achieved something special. I guess that's another point we disagree on - I don't think our second place finish is our greatest achievement.

He's a cult hero, a maverick and iconic player, but such people don't and shouldn't have stands named after them. That's just my opinion, I know many will disagree.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:29 - Mar 8 with 2957 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’d actually forgotten all about it but I did mean to contribute. As someone suggested on another thread I think you’d get more take up if you had people with buckets around the ground collecting cash.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Stanley Bowles Stand on 10:07 - Mar 8 with 2896 viewsPikey

Thought he was top notch as a player but a poor human being. Had a number of run ins with him over the years and simply didnt like him as a person ( I hear he spoke highly of me too) .
Stanley Bowles Stand on 10:16 - Mar 8 with 2873 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Loved watching Stan Bowles play but never thought of him as the best player in that team. Nor as a stand-out amongst the other top/most entertaining players we have had - Rodney, Gerry F, Les etc.

I think this stand naming thing is a mistake and Hoos way of handling it is proving the point.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 10:43 - Mar 8 with 2809 viewsgobbles

Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:29 - Mar 7 by joe90

"Cult player"????
Gino Padula was a "cult player", Stan was our greatest ever player. And 75-76 and qualifying for Europe for the first time was our greatest achievement.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 10:46 - Mar 8 with 2793 viewsgobbles

Why don't they have a Go Fund Me page? Surely easier than doing a bank transfer
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 11:43]
Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:40 - Mar 8 with 2683 viewsdaveB

Stanley Bowles Stand on 00:32 - Mar 8 by nix

It seems to me that there are a minority of people that feel very strongly about it and a lot of people who aren't bothered enough to contribute.

I think the argument about it being a tough time for everyone financially is a poor one tbh. If it was really that popular it would be a bit more than 50p each for an average match day crowd.

As I said in the previous thread, I personally think the club should be looking forward not backwards and appealing to younger fans. I can see why Lee Hoos and the board don't want to pay out for this when there are tons of other priorities that appeal to a wider fan base than this initiative. I don't think it's fair to use this as an argument that he doesn't care about the fans. I think he puts to shame some of the previous executives who've led this club and clearly had contempt for the fans. It's hard to please all of the fans all of the time, but I wouldn't use this as evidence of anything other than the fact is not as popular as some people maintain.

On the financial side you've had the training ground bond recently. asking fans not to take a refund on season tickets and the dottie appeal, i don't think it's a surprise that this one hasn't taken off. The timing as well is not great in the middle of a bad run and the season falling apart, I imagine the response would have been different in January
Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:53 - Mar 8 with 2638 viewsToast_R

Why is it costing nearly 9 grand for this really?

Spray paint and some stencils. Must be a banksy wannabe out there who's scaled worse heights to paint their work?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024