Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graeme Souness. 11:03 - Aug 15 with 10487 viewsSnipper

He’s getting absolute pelters in the media, and especially Twàtter for his comments when talking about yesterday’s game between Chelsea & Tottenham.

He was talking about the actual match being ‘a man’s game’ in reference to referee directives to clamp down on feigning injury after legitimate tackles.

In my opinion, the world has gone bloody mad.
Graeme Souness. on 11:06 - Aug 15 with 4703 viewsdaveB

the phrase is a bit outdated but the backlash has been ridiculous especially given the context of what he was talking about.
Graeme Souness. on 11:17 - Aug 15 with 4584 viewsSonofpugwash

Just another attempt by the Wokerati to stir things up.
They'll be having a pop at Joan Of Arc next.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Graeme Souness. on 11:20 - Aug 15 with 4561 viewsRanger_Things

The lack of rolling around and feigning injury during the womens Euros was noticeable and very refreshing. Sure some drew fouls but they didn’t act like their legs had been blown off stepping on a landmine. Perhaps a better and more accurate response from Souness would be to say that they should toughen up and play like women?
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 11:24]
Graeme Souness. on 11:36 - Aug 15 with 4458 viewsfrancisbowles

Haven't heard or seen his comments but it sounds about right to me.

There is footballl and Womens football. They are two different games, played to the same rules. Womens football is a great game but it watches like a football match from many years ago, that is lots of kick and rush, losing possession but interspersed with great moments of skill.

Now, I'm going to be controversial. Is anyone else slightly peeved that the TV channels now seem to want a woman footballer pundit on virtually every football (mens) show.? I think a pundit should be either a professional journalist or someone who has actually played or coached in professional football. (mens)
Graeme Souness. on 11:37 - Aug 15 with 4446 viewsderbyhoop

Graeme Souness. on 11:17 - Aug 15 by Sonofpugwash

Burn the witch.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Graeme Souness. on 11:44 - Aug 15 with 4390 viewsDavieQPR

No because in a new programme coming out she is Transgender.
Graeme Souness. on 11:45 - Aug 15 with 4388 viewsDixie_CT

Graeme Souness. on 11:36 - Aug 15 by francisbowles

There is footballl and Womens football. They are two different games, played to the same rules. Womens football is a great game but it watches like a football match from many years ago, that is lots of kick and rush, losing possession but interspersed with great moments of skill.

Now, I'm going to be controversial. Is anyone else slightly peeved that the TV channels now seem to want a woman footballer pundit on virtually every football (mens) show.? I think a pundit should be either a professional journalist or someone who has actually played or coached in professional football. (mens)

Does it really matter about who the pundits are?
Graeme Souness. on 11:51 - Aug 15 with 4363 viewsPhildo

I still have a little giggle to myself every time I see him about the Stan biography story about Don Givens shagging his bird.
Login to get fewer ads

Graeme Souness. on 12:02 - Aug 15 with 4280 viewsRs_Holy

I have no idea what to say anymore???
Graeme Souness. on 12:03 - Aug 15 with 4269 viewsDorse

Graeme Souness. on 12:02 - Aug 15 by Rs_Holy

I have no idea what to say anymore???

Never stops me.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Graeme Souness. on 12:18 - Aug 15 with 4171 viewsted_hendrix

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? seems to me nowadays there's a whole heap of people with nothing better to do but complain about what someone has said or done.
All Souness has said is how he's interpreted things, I've no Idea what all the fuss is about if indeed there is any fuss in the first place.

This country will analyse itself to death before long.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Graeme Souness. on 12:18 - Aug 15 with 4170 viewsngbqpr

Graeme Souness. on 11:06 - Aug 15 by daveB

the phrase is a bit outdated but the backlash has been ridiculous especially given the context of what he was talking about.

People from both sides of the culture war with little football knowledge jumping on it, which never ends well (as we see a microcosm of on here every so often).

But he used x 3 very 70s throwback expressions in quick succession - "man's game", "men at it", "boys will be boys."

Putting it back into the context in which he meant it...do we want John Stones or Chopper Harris? Do we want the next superstar dribbling genius to be kicked to f**k for 90 minutes (Maradona), or given some leeway to dazzle (Messi)?

If you have kids, what type of footballer do you want them trying to emulate / aspiring to be?

So I'd argue that even in context, he's harking back to a long gone era.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Graeme Souness. on 12:23 - Aug 15 with 4116 viewsSydneyRs

They're trying to broaden the audience. Same here with rugby league and Aussie rules football, plenty of female presenters.

If they're good and know what they are talking about then no problem at all, it's a good thing and provides balance.

The outrage over Souness though is just stupid. He's only using a phrase that would have been common throughout his life in football and is not trying to demean women.
Graeme Souness. on 12:28 - Aug 15 with 4084 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Graeme Souness. on 12:18 - Aug 15 by ngbqpr

People from both sides of the culture war with little football knowledge jumping on it, which never ends well (as we see a microcosm of on here every so often).

But he used x 3 very 70s throwback expressions in quick succession - "man's game", "men at it", "boys will be boys."

Putting it back into the context in which he meant it...do we want John Stones or Chopper Harris? Do we want the next superstar dribbling genius to be kicked to f**k for 90 minutes (Maradona), or given some leeway to dazzle (Messi)?

If you have kids, what type of footballer do you want them trying to emulate / aspiring to be?

So I'd argue that even in context, he's harking back to a long gone era.

But that’s not what he was saying at all was it? He wasn’t suggesting he enjoyed the game because it was overtly physical (I wouldn’t have said it was, save for the dugouts!) but rather that the ball was in play more and there was noticeably fewer injuries feigned and cynical time wasting tactics - which I’d have said was true. It came out phrased ‘it’s a man’s game’ directly referencing players not pretending to injured. Possibly an outdated idiom but you have to read quite deeply into it to be offended surely?

The irony is I particularly enjoyed the Womens’ Euros for the same reason. Very little play acting or grown adults pretending they’re in agony for no real good reason.

I agree with Souness personally.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 12:29]
Graeme Souness. on 12:37 - Aug 15 with 4001 viewsconnell10

Graeme Souness. on 11:06 - Aug 15 by daveB

Male football played by males is a men's game !! How is him saying that outdated , its a fact

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Graeme Souness. on 12:41 - Aug 15 with 3978 viewsWokingR

Graeme Souness. on 12:37 - Aug 15 by connell10

Male football played by males is a men's game !! How is him saying that outdated , its a fact

And if Cucerella didn't have such a girls haircut nobody could have pulled it in the first place !
Graeme Souness. on 12:42 - Aug 15 with 3965 viewsstowmarketrange

Women and girls also shout “man on” rather than anything else when one of their players is being closed down during a game,so why should Souness be in trouble for saying that it’s a man’s game when it is a game between men?
Graeme Souness. on 12:43 - Aug 15 with 3957 viewsngbqpr

Graeme Souness. on 12:28 - Aug 15 by Padulas_Shampoo

But that’s not what he was saying at all was it? He wasn’t suggesting he enjoyed the game because it was overtly physical (I wouldn’t have said it was, save for the dugouts!) but rather that the ball was in play more and there was noticeably fewer injuries feigned and cynical time wasting tactics - which I’d have said was true. It came out phrased ‘it’s a man’s game’ directly referencing players not pretending to injured. Possibly an outdated idiom but you have to read quite deeply into it to be offended surely?

The irony is I particularly enjoyed the Womens’ Euros for the same reason. Very little play acting or grown adults pretending they’re in agony for no real good reason.

I agree with Souness personally.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 12:29]

Not sure it's as black & white as him applauding less cynicism / simulation - it's all open to interpretation of course, but while I actually think he has moments where he's a very good pundit, I always get the feeling he wishes the game was played as it was in his day...which personally I don't want a return to.

Being competitive, playing all out to win, giving no quarter etc etc - essential to football, but doesn't need to be wrapped up in testosterone-fuelled soundbites imho.

I spend a lot of time coaching 5-9 year olds, and even at that age they're very sharp at picking up on changing trends in playing style they see at the elite level. Also, managers squaring up like drunken 17 year olds being written off as 'boys will be boy's doesn't help those of us trying to ensure the kids' game is played in a healthy atmosphere.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Graeme Souness. on 12:43 - Aug 15 with 3955 viewsqprd

There's no logical or rational explanation for why you'd prefer the set up of one journalist, one player/coach (both male) (as compared to two journalists, two former players, two females, three players, and all the other permutations and combinations)- other than that you are used to it and this has been the status quo for years and years.

It doesn't make you sexist or controversial- if anything, you are just like most people in this country- namely, generally resistant to change and prone to looking back to the past rather than the future (as would be expected in a country whose best days are 75+ years ago and whose future prospects are so bleak compared to its former peer countries)

After a year, you will not realize the difference. Cricket experienced something similarly with female radio announcers, who, for the most part, are just as good as their male counterparts, and whose fans dont make comments like these anymore....
Graeme Souness. on 12:46 - Aug 15 with 3936 viewsdaveB

I think the phrase its a mans game is a bit outdated but I didn't have a problem with what he said
Graeme Souness. on 12:48 - Aug 15 with 3926 viewsdaveB

I thought at the start of the womens euros the lack of male pundits stank of double standards but they did rectify that by the end. I'm not overly bothered if the pundits are male or female as long as they know what they are talking about, I don't think you need to have played the game to understand and analyse it.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 12:48]
Graeme Souness. on 12:51 - Aug 15 with 3894 viewsPhilmyRs

Graeme Souness. on 11:51 - Aug 15 by Phildo

I still have a little giggle to myself every time I see him about the Stan biography story about Don Givens shagging his bird.

Shanks not Givens but yes, funny one. Don't really mind Souness the pundit, comes across well usually.
Graeme Souness. on 12:53 - Aug 15 with 3875 viewsqprd

You do realize the overwhelming majority of the population (including presumably on the left) doesn't care about these stories?

Opportunistic people on the left trying to create a profile latch onto these kind of comments as a way of generating attention.

The same predictable media outlets then amplify the tweets of a few fringe individuals as if they are reflective of the views of a much broader population.

Opportunistic people on the right also trying to create a profile latch onto the faux backlash as a way of generating attention

Gullible individuals on both ends of the political spectrum fall for the trap, and rinse and repeat until the next news cycle....
Graeme Souness. on 12:54 - Aug 15 with 3864 viewsconnell10

Graeme Souness. on 12:48 - Aug 15 by daveB

I thought at the start of the womens euros the lack of male pundits stank of double standards but they did rectify that by the end. I'm not overly bothered if the pundits are male or female as long as they know what they are talking about, I don't think you need to have played the game to understand and analyse it.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 12:48]

Totally agree, I would go even further and say we don't need pundits whatsoever. Like weather presenters pointless! Oh apart from Mr Sinton of course.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Graeme Souness. on 13:08 - Aug 15 with 3778 viewsnix

Graeme Souness. on 12:43 - Aug 15 by qprd

There's no logical or rational explanation for why you'd prefer the set up of one journalist, one player/coach (both male) (as compared to two journalists, two former players, two females, three players, and all the other permutations and combinations)- other than that you are used to it and this has been the status quo for years and years.

It doesn't make you sexist or controversial- if anything, you are just like most people in this country- namely, generally resistant to change and prone to looking back to the past rather than the future (as would be expected in a country whose best days are 75+ years ago and whose future prospects are so bleak compared to its former peer countries)

After a year, you will not realize the difference. Cricket experienced something similarly with female radio announcers, who, for the most part, are just as good as their male counterparts, and whose fans dont make comments like these anymore....

I agree it's all about the quality. The women pundits in cricket are excellent. The ones in football are hit and miss but I'm sure it will improve once there are a greater pool to choose from. I follow tennis as well and some of the commentators like Annabel Croft or Sam Smith are hugely better than John Lloyd or Andrew Castle, both in terms of charisma and technical aspects of the commentary, whether they discussing men's or women's tennis. Equally, Peter Fleming or Andrew Cotter are much better than some of the less interesting female pundits and commentators.

I've got no problem with him saying it's a men's game when he's discussing men's football. He's right, isn't he? It would be poor if he said that when watching a woman's match, but he didn't.

Tuchel and Conte are not really helping as role models for the youth football but it's often the youth coaches and ARs that set a really bad example. One of the latter actually squared up to my son for being lippy. Didn't agree with the lippiness either but get a grip man, he's 17 and you're in your fifties!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024