Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad 21:49 - Jan 31 with 10285 viewsGloucs_R

Looking very very light now with the latest departures. Even more so when you think how injury prone we are.

Drewe
Dixon Bonner
Time to step up?

Any others?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Squad on 17:39 - Feb 1 with 2590 viewsDejR_vu

Squad on 16:17 - Feb 1 by PinnerPaul

Even with that dismal return, 48 might well be enough to stay up - as others have said that's how "poor" or if you prefer "competitive" this league is.

I hope so. That points tally does include 3 from our new manager 'bounce' / more of a burp.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Squad on 18:03 - Feb 1 with 2540 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 17:39 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

I hope so. That points tally does include 3 from our new manager 'bounce' / more of a burp.

What IS the opposite to "bounce"?
Squad on 18:03 - Feb 1 with 2538 viewsdaveB

Squad on 16:30 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

Ha ha, Dave that's so sweet.

Tim - admittedly not ours - is 19 and gets abuse whether he plays well or not.

Dunne was a young signing who gets dogs abuse every week.

Kakay clearly despised by a section of fans despite being at the club since he was 7.

That sort of 'support' for young players you're talking about will last one or two games. The moment they're a bit shy of form, they'll be hounded like anyone else.

not sure they get stick at the matches, online they all get abuse but personally not heard that kind of stuff at games
Squad on 18:24 - Feb 1 with 2452 viewsPinnerPaul

TBH if they can't take criticism in (almost) any form, then maybe professional football isn't for them!

I'm of course excluding any kind of 'targeted abuse' based on race, sexuality etc and whatever it is these days that people do to send players messages on twitter/instagram etc, but if we're seriously not playing people in their late teens/early 20s because someone might shout at them , then maybe we ARE in as much trouble as some believe!
Squad on 18:43 - Feb 1 with 2379 viewsqueensparker

I do think a lot of our current slump is that we’ve had a few seasons of relentless positivity and encouraging everyone as a management style with Warbuton and then Beale. The squad got used to being praised every day.

Critchley strikes me as a more sergeant major type who doesn’t suffer fools gladly. His public interviews and his demeanour on the touch line on Saturday certainly bear that out. I doubt a lot of these players have been hauled over the coals for a long time, if ever. Whether it works long term remind to be seen, but it definitely feels like he needs to get some of his own players in to replace the more fragile egos out there.
Squad on 18:57 - Feb 1 with 2346 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 18:24 - Feb 1 by PinnerPaul

TBH if they can't take criticism in (almost) any form, then maybe professional football isn't for them!

I'm of course excluding any kind of 'targeted abuse' based on race, sexuality etc and whatever it is these days that people do to send players messages on twitter/instagram etc, but if we're seriously not playing people in their late teens/early 20s because someone might shout at them , then maybe we ARE in as much trouble as some believe!

I'll remember that next time you berate me for chewing out a useless referee pinner ;)

I must have a different definition of the word 'supporter' to you.

Bare bones.

Squad on 12:47 - Feb 2 with 2132 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 18:57 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

I'll remember that next time you berate me for chewing out a useless referee pinner ;)

I concur that the abuse appears to be on social media, not the games. Not heard much of that.

I find if fascinating, like those guys in Clive's report who clapped at full time at Hull, how people do it. I genuinely wish I could be the perfect "supporter" and cheer every time one of our lavishly paid players can't be bothered, ruins a whole weekend with a stupid mistake, etc etc. Incenzo-esque, perhaps.

I support QPR. The players and managers come and go, but all I want is for QPR to win and do well. If my day with my boy hits the buffers because Kakay duffs a header straight to a Swansea player, then I don't have the inner goodness to shout "bad luck, young man, keep going". I get the theory that is more likely to make him play better than "you useless arse" but having seen Kakay play for some time I am not sure even Guardiola at his finest serving him tea and coaching on the pitch during the match would ever make him improve.

Doubly so when even in the rare occasions some of our players / managers are truly excellent, they'll soon be off elsewhere and baring their backside to the Loft when they stick their new club one up, or calling us "that project down there" from their lofty Glaswegian palace.

Seriously - when you clock someone like Travelman or Roberts, do you really find it in yourself to "support" them? They just wind me up, stealing a living from the club I support.

Like with Paul Furlong, though, these things can change. A lot stick turned into a lot of worship just on the back of doing the thing we pay him for rather well.
Squad on 12:57 - Feb 2 with 2100 viewsRangersw12

Squad on 12:47 - Feb 2 by GaryBannister86

I concur that the abuse appears to be on social media, not the games. Not heard much of that.

I find if fascinating, like those guys in Clive's report who clapped at full time at Hull, how people do it. I genuinely wish I could be the perfect "supporter" and cheer every time one of our lavishly paid players can't be bothered, ruins a whole weekend with a stupid mistake, etc etc. Incenzo-esque, perhaps.

I support QPR. The players and managers come and go, but all I want is for QPR to win and do well. If my day with my boy hits the buffers because Kakay duffs a header straight to a Swansea player, then I don't have the inner goodness to shout "bad luck, young man, keep going". I get the theory that is more likely to make him play better than "you useless arse" but having seen Kakay play for some time I am not sure even Guardiola at his finest serving him tea and coaching on the pitch during the match would ever make him improve.

Doubly so when even in the rare occasions some of our players / managers are truly excellent, they'll soon be off elsewhere and baring their backside to the Loft when they stick their new club one up, or calling us "that project down there" from their lofty Glaswegian palace.

Seriously - when you clock someone like Travelman or Roberts, do you really find it in yourself to "support" them? They just wind me up, stealing a living from the club I support.

Like with Paul Furlong, though, these things can change. A lot stick turned into a lot of worship just on the back of doing the thing we pay him for rather well.

I agree with you but personally I wouldn't give a player stick if they try hard but are just not good enough i.e Kakay

Its the players like Roberts that do my head in who clearly have talent but just can't be bothered
Login to get fewer ads

Squad on 13:00 - Feb 2 with 2094 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 12:57 - Feb 2 by Rangersw12

I agree with you but personally I wouldn't give a player stick if they try hard but are just not good enough i.e Kakay

Its the players like Roberts that do my head in who clearly have talent but just can't be bothered

That's fair enough and I think should be the template. I am more than happy to support Dykes, for all his limitations, because to me he tries.

I know Kakay tries too, and maybe it is just jealousy on my part that he's made a living as a pro footballer, but your point is a good one. Mea culpa.
Squad on 13:06 - Feb 2 with 2057 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 12:47 - Feb 2 by GaryBannister86

Think you've answered your own question at the end there.

When I think of some of the stick I gave Furs I cringe. I'm utterly ashamed of myself, even now, 20 years later. Ditto response to Sinton when he came back with Sheff Wed.

No of course I don't have unconditional support, but there's a guy near me who literally berates every player all game. I'm glad some of you have seats where this doesn't happen, I wish I did.

These days, I manage to mutter a 'ff's to myself rather than berate one of our players, I just don't see the point. I don't think Roberts has been half as bad as a lot make out, either, although I agree with Clive that he needs a lot more resilience - as do a few of our players. I find all this 'stealing a living' stuff a bit distasteful, and sort of based on individual anger rather than nuance or having a full picture of the entire story. Sadly, not much much nuance allowed for today's fans though. Maybe it's always been like that.

Bare bones.

Squad on 13:15 - Feb 2 with 2021 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 13:06 - Feb 2 by Antti_Heinola

When I think of some of the stick I gave Furs I cringe. I'm utterly ashamed of myself, even now, 20 years later. Ditto response to Sinton when he came back with Sheff Wed.

No of course I don't have unconditional support, but there's a guy near me who literally berates every player all game. I'm glad some of you have seats where this doesn't happen, I wish I did.

These days, I manage to mutter a 'ff's to myself rather than berate one of our players, I just don't see the point. I don't think Roberts has been half as bad as a lot make out, either, although I agree with Clive that he needs a lot more resilience - as do a few of our players. I find all this 'stealing a living' stuff a bit distasteful, and sort of based on individual anger rather than nuance or having a full picture of the entire story. Sadly, not much much nuance allowed for today's fans though. Maybe it's always been like that.

The Sinton thing is very interesting. I know reading his version of events (if they are true, or just "his truth") it may seem out of order on reflection, but actually if you transport yourself back to the time I thought it was refreshing for QPR and our fans.

The stick that day was fearsome - and it worked - he was rubbish and substituted. The fanbase had had enough and was fed up of building up players and loving them and then seeing them jump ship from little old us. Then the player being a bit surprised when they return to vitriol. What's wrong with that? Just standing up for the club, I reckon.

I think times have changed. If Beale took a Premier league job and played us next season, there would be little reaction is my guess. Not from me though :-)

God, people cheered Seaman when he came back for that cup tie.

Not for me, I was in the loft telling where to stick his pictures of being in an Arsenal shirt when he was still our player. Or his average performances towards the end. And ever since, even in retirement, not sure he ever mentions QPR or our role in his career.

Maybe there is a good way to leave? Eze, for example. Brilliant.

Ah, it's all how you see it.

Stealing a living - just a phrase, surely. Wouldn't read too much into it. Anyone who is rubbish at their job can get labelled it.
Squad on 13:16 - Feb 2 with 2019 viewsdaveB

I don't think that Niko is stealing a living. He's a back up left back for a championship team on a relatively small wage, Ok he's not very good but the stick he gets on social media seems well over the top to me. What do people expect from a back up left back who plays 3/4 games a season?

Not sure how he can be compared with some of the big money players who took the club for idiots and were worshipped
Squad on 13:37 - Feb 2 with 1942 viewsRangersw12

Squad on 13:16 - Feb 2 by daveB

I don't think that Niko is stealing a living. He's a back up left back for a championship team on a relatively small wage, Ok he's not very good but the stick he gets on social media seems well over the top to me. What do people expect from a back up left back who plays 3/4 games a season?

Not sure how he can be compared with some of the big money players who took the club for idiots and were worshipped

"Not sure how he can be compared with some of the big money players who took the club for idiots and were worshipped"

The worshiping of Barton and the singing of his name at his first game back from France was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen from our fans

Even now you see people who think he was decent and would even have him back as manager because he "cared"
Squad on 14:22 - Feb 2 with 1826 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 18:57 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

Hang on!

Where did I say I agreed that its OK to abuse your own players, same place as I said its Ok to abuse referees - it isn't.

BUT it happens and, whether player or referee, expecting it not to happen is naive in the extreme!

The youngster argument makes it even more nebulous - at what age CAN you cope with abuse on the fop?
Squad on 15:41 - Feb 2 with 1753 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 13:15 - Feb 2 by GaryBannister86

The Sinton thing is very interesting. I know reading his version of events (if they are true, or just "his truth") it may seem out of order on reflection, but actually if you transport yourself back to the time I thought it was refreshing for QPR and our fans.

The stick that day was fearsome - and it worked - he was rubbish and substituted. The fanbase had had enough and was fed up of building up players and loving them and then seeing them jump ship from little old us. Then the player being a bit surprised when they return to vitriol. What's wrong with that? Just standing up for the club, I reckon.

I think times have changed. If Beale took a Premier league job and played us next season, there would be little reaction is my guess. Not from me though :-)

God, people cheered Seaman when he came back for that cup tie.

Not for me, I was in the loft telling where to stick his pictures of being in an Arsenal shirt when he was still our player. Or his average performances towards the end. And ever since, even in retirement, not sure he ever mentions QPR or our role in his career.

Maybe there is a good way to leave? Eze, for example. Brilliant.

Ah, it's all how you see it.

Stealing a living - just a phrase, surely. Wouldn't read too much into it. Anyone who is rubbish at their job can get labelled it.

I thought the Sinton thing was great too - at the time.
Now we know better. And that's my point really. We never know the full story of anything. To say 'players keep leaving' - at that time, it was hardly a trend. Seaman had gone, but we kept Les, Peacock, Macca, Impey, Bard, Wilson etc for a while after. We threw our toys out the pram for one player leaving. Refreshing is an odd word for it, then or now. I bet the fans of today would goggle in disbelief at the fury of us at that time staging demonstrations weekly while we more than held our own in the top flight and having little cup runs, or being furious at receiving a very decent fee for one of our players. Times change eh?

Bare bones.

Squad on 15:45 - Feb 2 with 1739 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 14:22 - Feb 2 by PinnerPaul

Hang on!

Where did I say I agreed that its OK to abuse your own players, same place as I said its Ok to abuse referees - it isn't.

BUT it happens and, whether player or referee, expecting it not to happen is naive in the extreme!

The youngster argument makes it even more nebulous - at what age CAN you cope with abuse on the fop?

I never said you did.
My point was more fans are there to support our own players. Yet you show greater compassion for refs (who no one is there to support) than for players taking their first steps in the game. Your attitude there is 'deal with it, kids'. With refs, it's all:' they deserve so much more respect, fans don't understand the game'.

Bare bones.

Squad on 15:50 - Feb 2 with 1724 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 15:41 - Feb 2 by Antti_Heinola

I thought the Sinton thing was great too - at the time.
Now we know better. And that's my point really. We never know the full story of anything. To say 'players keep leaving' - at that time, it was hardly a trend. Seaman had gone, but we kept Les, Peacock, Macca, Impey, Bard, Wilson etc for a while after. We threw our toys out the pram for one player leaving. Refreshing is an odd word for it, then or now. I bet the fans of today would goggle in disbelief at the fury of us at that time staging demonstrations weekly while we more than held our own in the top flight and having little cup runs, or being furious at receiving a very decent fee for one of our players. Times change eh?

I don't think the comparison is fair. Totally different times. We had a side capable of top 3 in the First Division / PL, certainly of winning a cup. It was ripped apart without any real communication to the fans (harder in those days) as to why. It was our chance and we blew it due to a lack of ambition.

Totally different now, when "having a good window" seems to be important, we're shipping £2m a month or whatever it is and players can literally earn 10 times elsewhere.

Refreshing meant that we stood up for our club. That it means something and has some pride. We don't often do that.
Squad on 17:17 - Feb 2 with 1606 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 15:50 - Feb 2 by GaryBannister86

I don't think the comparison is fair. Totally different times. We had a side capable of top 3 in the First Division / PL, certainly of winning a cup. It was ripped apart without any real communication to the fans (harder in those days) as to why. It was our chance and we blew it due to a lack of ambition.

Totally different now, when "having a good window" seems to be important, we're shipping £2m a month or whatever it is and players can literally earn 10 times elsewhere.

Refreshing meant that we stood up for our club. That it means something and has some pride. We don't often do that.

But at that time it wasn't ripped apart. In fact, with Sinclair as replacement, it got better.

Yes it was ripped apart by 96, but when Sinton left it's laughable to suggest selling him ripped the team apart. This is exactly the sort of hysterical overreaction I'm talking about. Besides, that's. not even what people were angry about. People were angry at the 'way' Sinton had gone (or the way the club presented it) - that's not even the same thing. No one was 'standing up for the club' - it was about abuse of a player for having the temerity to leave (which we now know, he didn't even want to do).

Bare bones.

Squad on 17:51 - Feb 2 with 1546 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 15:45 - Feb 2 by Antti_Heinola

I never said you did.
My point was more fans are there to support our own players. Yet you show greater compassion for refs (who no one is there to support) than for players taking their first steps in the game. Your attitude there is 'deal with it, kids'. With refs, it's all:' they deserve so much more respect, fans don't understand the game'.

I never said either of those last two statements either, please stop putting words in my mouth and then disagreeing with 'me'.

Just to be clear, someone said that we shouldn't be playing youngsters in case they get abuse, my point is that it will hardly come as a great surprise to them or anyone else if that happens, as guess what it happens at every ground up and down the country.

My analogy with referees was similar - pointless a referee saying he doesn't want to progress because nasty people will disagree with him/her and shout at them - its going to happen.

Where, I like you I seem to remember!, step in, is where people hurl abuse at the "lino" for actually applying the laws - ie not flag for offside if the person hasn't touched the ball.

BUT the point is they ARE going to do that, so bit pointless, if you were an AR aspiring to the get to the top to say it should stop - yes it should, but erm.... it isn't going to - is it?
Squad on 20:37 - Feb 2 with 1440 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 17:51 - Feb 2 by PinnerPaul

I never said either of those last two statements either, please stop putting words in my mouth and then disagreeing with 'me'.

Just to be clear, someone said that we shouldn't be playing youngsters in case they get abuse, my point is that it will hardly come as a great surprise to them or anyone else if that happens, as guess what it happens at every ground up and down the country.

My analogy with referees was similar - pointless a referee saying he doesn't want to progress because nasty people will disagree with him/her and shout at them - its going to happen.

Where, I like you I seem to remember!, step in, is where people hurl abuse at the "lino" for actually applying the laws - ie not flag for offside if the person hasn't touched the ball.

BUT the point is they ARE going to do that, so bit pointless, if you were an AR aspiring to the get to the top to say it should stop - yes it should, but erm.... it isn't going to - is it?

Fair enough. I clearly read more into it than was there!

Bare bones.

Squad on 21:09 - Feb 2 with 1377 viewsozexile

Squad on 18:24 - Feb 1 by PinnerPaul

You know what is never said. What if for example a young player gets a chance and takes it. Scores a worldie for example. How much good would that do him and the team?
Not all young players excel in training day in and day out. Throw them in and see how they go.
Squad on 21:14 - Feb 2 with 1361 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Squad on 16:30 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

Ha ha, Dave that's so sweet.

Tim - admittedly not ours - is 19 and gets abuse whether he plays well or not.

Dunne was a young signing who gets dogs abuse every week.

Kakay clearly despised by a section of fans despite being at the club since he was 7.

That sort of 'support' for young players you're talking about will last one or two games. The moment they're a bit shy of form, they'll be hounded like anyone else.

This, albeit I think it’s mostly an online thing. Rarely pick up on it at the games.

Add Armstrong to the list of players already receiving abuse.
Squad on 09:29 - Feb 3 with 1218 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 17:17 - Feb 2 by Antti_Heinola

But at that time it wasn't ripped apart. In fact, with Sinclair as replacement, it got better.

Yes it was ripped apart by 96, but when Sinton left it's laughable to suggest selling him ripped the team apart. This is exactly the sort of hysterical overreaction I'm talking about. Besides, that's. not even what people were angry about. People were angry at the 'way' Sinton had gone (or the way the club presented it) - that's not even the same thing. No one was 'standing up for the club' - it was about abuse of a player for having the temerity to leave (which we now know, he didn't even want to do).

"Hysterical overreaction", "laughable" - cheers for that, can't we just have a sensible debate? Or are your views the definitive, correct answer for every QPR issue? Even if you disagree or I am wrong, don't think the views are that far off unless my memory really has gone!

I don't agree that "no-one was standing up for the club". I was, so were all my mates who went to every game that season. We didn't like our club being used, being disrespected (however shallow a feeling that was) and that was why we were abusing Sinton. I still feel it now, when he walks past the Loft shaking hands with everyone to be honest.

Whether that's fair on Sinton or not I don't know, but to me it's the small time clubs that cheer when heroes who buggered off return - just illustrating that we were only ever a stepping stone. Sure the club may have painted it the way that suits them, but depends on who you believe, doesn't it?

Sinton, Seaman = Judas. Harsh maybe on Sinton, but he's done alright by us so in two stints now so boo hoo.
Squad on 14:37 - Feb 3 with 1094 viewsLongRanger

Squad on 17:51 - Feb 2 by PinnerPaul

I think you're referring to my post above with ...'someone said that we shouldn't be playing youngsters in case they get abuse'

I said young players need to be carefully introduced when their own fans are starting to give it. Every player should expect abuse from the the opposition fans, goes without saying, they shouldn't have to get it from their own, that what kills their confidence.

Players have always said how they love abuse from opposition fans, as it shows they're doing well, but its totally the opposite if they get it from their own fans. Its poor and shouldn't happen if they're giving it 100%, yet Kakay and Armstrong get it for example, so will make a manager think twice before throwing more in
Squad on 03:04 - Feb 9 with 797 viewsFredManRave

Squad on 13:06 - Feb 2 by Antti_Heinola

"Maybe it's always been like that".

I don't know about always, but I remember 20 odd years ago when fans would give Furlong stick and the same, in principle, when Sinton came back with Sheff Wed.

The only rule for any football supporter is, on the day in question, there are no rules, it's about what and how you feel on that particular day.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024