Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad 21:49 - Jan 31 with 9944 viewsGloucs_R

Looking very very light now with the latest departures. Even more so when you think how injury prone we are.

Drewe
Dixon Bonner
Time to step up?

Any others?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Squad on 12:31 - Feb 1 with 2055 viewsLogman

The B team players that we have got left are not good enough. If the likes of Owens, Shodipo, Duke McKenna, Kelman, Masterson and others in the 24 - 25 age bracket do not fit the bill then the 19 - 21 year olds we have playing in the B team are not going to be up to it. Yes, they play nice football against other B teams/U.21's but do you really think they are going to have the physique, power, pace and drive to match the Championship teams that hound and bully us ?
Squad on 13:14 - Feb 1 with 1948 viewsderbyhoop

Squad on 07:18 - Feb 1 by Northernr

Whether the squad is thin or not, George Thomas and Nico Hamalainen were never going to be the difference between staying up or going down.

Amen to that.

Personally I think we had a good window.
We brought in a striker, albeit on loan.
We moved on 6 players who aren't good enough to affect Championship games. For the record Bonne, Bettache, Masterson (loan), Shodipo, Thomas, Hammaliennen.
It may not have been all we wanted but it was what was needed.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Squad on 13:32 - Feb 1 with 1900 viewsR_from_afar

Squad on 09:04 - Feb 1 by daveB

I think the keeper loans are done now, Mahoney ended up staying

I'm not for a second saying everything is great or even average but adding extra back up players is not the answer imo.

If Paal is out stick Aaron Drewe in, if he's useless like Niko you at least know and are actually having a pathway to the team. if Dykes is out you have Lowe and Armstrong to start up front as well as forwards in our B and under 18's team to sit on the bench.

A few years back when Holloway went on one of his bad runs he ended that by just throwing a kid in, Manning got a game at Wolves was brilliant and off we go. Paul Smyth a year layer a similar reaction.

I've no idea how good any of these B teams lads are but stick a few on the bench, throw Armstrong in from the start add a bit of youth and the attitude of this is my opportunity and what I have worked all my life for into the team rather than woe is me that we currently have

"I've no idea how good any of these B teams lads are but stick a few on the bench, throw Armstrong in from the start add a bit of youth and the attitude of this is my opportunity and what I have worked all my life for into the team rather than woe is me that we currently have".

One thing's for sure, given the squad's lack of depth (from a quality perspective) and the woeful run we are on, the youngsters and others on the fringes of the matchday squad have the best opportunity for a long time to get into the first team, and stay there.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Squad on 13:37 - Feb 1 with 1882 viewsDubaiR

Who are the 9 midfielders and 4 strikers you mention?

More importantly which one's are fit as we knew who was out/missing prior to the window closing. It isn't like we took a gamble with what we had and the day after 3/4 picked up injuries
Squad on 13:39 - Feb 1 with 1868 viewsstanistheman

Squad on 13:14 - Feb 1 by derbyhoop

Amen to that.

We moved on 6 players who aren't good enough to affect Championship games. For the record Bonne, Bettache, Masterson (loan), Shodipo, Thomas, Hammaliennen.

I agree getting rid was what we needed but to only bring Lowe in to replace Bonne was not a good window because it was obvious in pre season that we had not adequately replaced Austin and Gray from last season’s squad.

Roberts was never going to be a cf and Armstrong too raw. As for recalling Bonne, he was never really wanted by the weasel and practically dropped from the match day squad.

We are and have been all season at least one cf short. Add to that Dykes is now ill, so how we overcome this remains to be seen.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 13:40]
Squad on 13:49 - Feb 1 with 1834 viewsellersliehoop

Squad on 10:06 - Feb 1 by BAWHoops

It's a dead season now. The iteration of this team is over and there's no point adding to it with loans.
Focus needs to be on staying up (we should) and preparing for summer.

We need to build a new squad and should be actively seeking to sell in order to raise funds to do so.
Plenty of useful players out there (look at how we took Field and could probably sell him for around £5m now). We mustn't be scared to evolve

Spot on

Sell some of our 'assets' in the summer and start again. Less reliance on loans going forward
Squad on 14:05 - Feb 1 with 1772 viewsTheChef

Squad on 13:14 - Feb 1 by derbyhoop

Amen to that.

True.

My only disappointment was not switching out at least a couple of the loans (Roberts and Iroegbunam) but clearly we must some have kind of golden handcuffs deal with the parent clubs.

And the only/main advantage to having Tim is he's fit and available to play unlike most of our midfielders.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Squad on 14:10 - Feb 1 with 1750 viewsLongRanger

Massive risk to throwing in the young lads with no experience when the performances are bad and the fans are turning against the team, it could ruin them.

You can't just send back loans if they don't play well, its a contract to the end of the season.

What we need now might not be what we need in August, so better to stay out the market.

Challenge is to remind the 14-15 players we have fit of how good they were against the likes of Hull at home, for them to show some pride and for the fans to get behind them. Always easier said than done though
Login to get fewer ads

Squad on 14:52 - Feb 1 with 1640 viewsdaveB

Squad on 13:37 - Feb 1 by DubaiR

More importantly which one's are fit as we knew who was out/missing prior to the window closing. It isn't like we took a gamble with what we had and the day after 3/4 picked up injuries

Midfielders
Amos
Field
Johansen
Chair
Willock
Dozzell
Richards
Adomah
Iroegbunam

Forwards

Dykes
Lowe
Armstrong
Roberts
Squad on 14:54 - Feb 1 with 1636 viewsdaveB

Squad on 14:10 - Feb 1 by LongRanger

Massive risk to throwing in the young lads with no experience when the performances are bad and the fans are turning against the team, it could ruin them.

You can't just send back loans if they don't play well, its a contract to the end of the season.

What we need now might not be what we need in August, so better to stay out the market.

Challenge is to remind the 14-15 players we have fit of how good they were against the likes of Hull at home, for them to show some pride and for the fans to get behind them. Always easier said than done though

When is a good time to thrown them in?

Every week there is pressure on a game even first games of the season, there is no easy time. I don't think we should be starting any of them but surely can get on the bench

Fans more likely to get behind them than the ones letting us down at the moment
Squad on 15:08 - Feb 1 with 1594 viewsgazza1

We have plenty of players.....the issue is 'staying fit or available for selection'. If we do get short them move a couple up to be substitutes, the players need to be more flexible re their positions.

The players we let 'go' are nowhere good enough for Championship football so no problems.
Squad on 15:14 - Feb 1 with 1585 viewsNorthernr

Squad on 14:54 - Feb 1 by daveB

Every week there is pressure on a game even first games of the season, there is no easy time. I don't think we should be starting any of them but surely can get on the bench

I'm always very, very wary of this "throw the kids in" chat.

It's a staple for football fans angry at their team after a run of bad results.

The idea we've got kids in our U18s, U23s and B Team who are good enough and ready for first team football but aren't being picked for some mystical reason is a bit fanciful.

However, on the flip side...

1 - Giving a chance to one or two can be a way out of situations like we're in now, when you don't have money to spend on players and you're out of loan options. Gerry did it with Richard Langley when he was at his most desperate point, and Olly with Ryan Manning. Now, it's easy to say "well they were obviously good players" but that's not the case - Manning was on the cusp of being released on a free transfer, but really grapsed his chance and thrived on the pressure and responsibility. It'll improve the atmosphere, the crowd will get behind somebody like that.

2 - Tim Iroegbunam is 19, he's played less than 20 games of senior football his whole life. He is a kid, and we've thrown him in, he's learning on our time. You watch him at Preston and you see the advantages, but he's not playing well, he's costing us goals, he was dire on Saturday. I'm not sure what we really gain out of picking him over, say Rafferty Peddar, who is playing well in the B Team, and is two years older. Why we happy to throw other people's kids in but not out own?

3 - It is rather getting to the point now where, how much worse could it really be?
Squad on 15:23 - Feb 1 with 1561 viewsDubaiR

Of you're mentioned list though:

Amos never fit
Richards never fit
Jojo Rarely fit
Chair and Willock I would say more attacking wide players then midfielders.

The same with Attackers, Lowe more of a winger, Dykes out for a while and we knew that prior to deadline passing, Roberts also out injured again / never fit. So we are going into a period of games with a very raw Armstrong and a winger.
Squad on 15:37 - Feb 1 with 1540 viewsLongRanger

Squad on 15:14 - Feb 1 by Northernr

The idea we've got kids in our U18s, U23s and B Team who are good enough and ready for first team football but aren't being picked for some mystical reason is a bit fanciful.

1 - Giving a chance to one or two can be a way out of situations like we're in now, when you don't have money to spend on players and you're out of loan options. Gerry did it with Richard Langley when he was at his most desperate point, and Olly with Ryan Manning. Now, it's easy to say "well they were obviously good players" but that's not the case - Manning was on the cusp of being released on a free transfer, but really grapsed his chance and thrived on the pressure and responsibility. It'll improve the atmosphere, the crowd will get behind somebody like that.

2 - Tim Iroegbunam is 19, he's played less than 20 games of senior football his whole life. He is a kid, and we've thrown him in, he's learning on our time. You watch him at Preston and you see the advantages, but he's not playing well, he's costing us goals, he was dire on Saturday. I'm not sure what we really gain out of picking him over, say Rafferty Peddar, who is playing well in the B Team, and is two years older. Why we happy to throw other people's kids in but not out own?

3 - It is rather getting to the point now where, how much worse could it really be?

Totally agree that the kids have to be eased in 1 or 2 at a time, as we have with Armstrong, but maybe one or two others on the bench and give them 20mins here and there.

Tim may not have many 1st team games but has played competitive games for England under 19 for example and his raw talent is levels above what we have in my opinion, but I do think he's starting to lose confidence and needs a few games on the bench in favour of a more experienced three in there, and perhaps give Peddar 20mins

The season has collapsed, but its not a write off, get a few coming back in from injury, a lucky Willock winner on Saturday and things start to kick on again
Squad on 16:05 - Feb 1 with 1469 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 22:26 - Jan 31 by Logman

None of them are ready to step up. The Board are taking a big risk with our 16 1st team players, several of which are injury prone, not mentally/physically equipped for top level football or not good enough technically. Let's face it, we are not being prepared for progressing. We are being prepared for becoming a community club that serves the local community.

Last time I looked I counted 26 players in our squad (source = the matchday programme)
Squad on 16:06 - Feb 1 with 1467 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 22:29 - Jan 31 by enfieldargh

I'm sorry but Thomas and Tumlauntman not being around makes no difference to the squad. The goal posts and crossbar offer more to our team than those 2

Squad on 16:08 - Feb 1 with 1451 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 22:39 - Jan 31 by daveB

Is the squad that thin?

We've got 4 goalkeepers, 9 defenders, 9 midfield players and 4 forwards that's without players from the B team and under 18's.

Agree.

As I just said, I make it 26 at the last count.

Said it before, obviously anybody can have a rant/moan all they like, but at least do it without making stuff up.
Squad on 16:09 - Feb 1 with 1425 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 22:49 - Jan 31 by Logman

But we need three or four Championship player quality players in. Otherwise we will succumb. We will get found out at left back, right back, right midfield and up front. We will not be good enough in those areas and will continuously lose games as a result.

Not sure where you think we were getting 2 players in better than Laird and Paal, for free, in Jan?
Squad on 16:12 - Feb 1 with 1403 viewsGaryBannister86

Squad on 15:14 - Feb 1 by Northernr

That's the point - "throw in the kids" is often the cheap shot and belies the experience and value of the first teamer who may just be going through a poor run of form. However, when the first teamer is just a loan, then surely in this situation we've got to be playing our kids instead. As you say, give the crowd a lift if nothing else.

I wouldn't play a kid ahead of Willock. He's ours and we need him back in form.
Squad on 16:12 - Feb 1 with 1403 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 22:51 - Jan 31 by Logman

Nonsense. We haven't got a good enough right midfielder, second striker or full backs if Paal or Laird get further injured/suspended, which they will. As Ollie used to say, 'you are only as good as your weakest player'. Well, we have got four or five of them ...

Mate we do not have the budget for a second 11 as good as the first - in fact probably currently, only Arsenal & Man City have that in the whole pyramid, think you're being alarmist and over dramatic myself, but its a free country/forum.
Squad on 16:14 - Feb 1 with 1394 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 09:03 - Feb 1 by Gloucs_R

Not sure many are saying that they think we are going down.

But if we do, at least we have a mid table League 1 squad already in place for next season 😁

Well for starters, Logman thinks we're heading out of the professional game
Squad on 16:17 - Feb 1 with 1365 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 10:01 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

It's good enough for an awful lot better than 16th, but look where we are. This lot are so gutless, we could be the best team to be relegated in years.

We've taken 8 points from the last 13 games. Carry on like that and we will end up on 48 points.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 10:05]

Even with that dismal return, 48 might well be enough to stay up - as others have said that's how "poor" or if you prefer "competitive" this league is.
Squad on 16:20 - Feb 1 with 1347 viewsPinnerPaul

Squad on 13:37 - Feb 1 by DubaiR

See website or matchday programme.

Opinions are opinions but facts are facts we have a squad of 26 now.

Yes some are injured but that's hardly unusual in football is it?
Squad on 16:30 - Feb 1 with 1328 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 14:54 - Feb 1 by daveB

Ha ha, Dave that's so sweet.

Tim - admittedly not ours - is 19 and gets abuse whether he plays well or not.

Dunne was a young signing who gets dogs abuse every week.

Kakay clearly despised by a section of fans despite being at the club since he was 7.

That sort of 'support' for young players you're talking about will last one or two games. The moment they're a bit shy of form, they'll be hounded like anyone else.

Bare bones.

Squad on 17:05 - Feb 1 with 1228 viewsLongRanger

Squad on 16:30 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

Ha ha, Dave that's so sweet.

Tim - admittedly not ours - is 19 and gets abuse whether he plays well or not.

Dunne was a young signing who gets dogs abuse every week.

Kakay clearly despised by a section of fans despite being at the club since he was 7.

That sort of 'support' for young players you're talking about will last one or two games. The moment they're a bit shy of form, they'll be hounded like anyone else.

Totally agree
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024