Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit-second referendum 10:23 - Feb 9 with 9184 viewsjohnlangy

I'd forgotten all about this until it was brought up again on Facebook. This is a headlining story from the Daily Mirror from 16th May 2016. I'll cut and paste a few lines.
EXCLUSIVE: Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win
The Ukip leader speaks to the Mirror’s Associate Editor Kevin Maguire and warns that a '52-48 result would be unfinished business'

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

It's easy to forget these things.

This makes the article in the FT a few days ago about the possibility of a second ref in 2026 a perfectly reasonable one especially when all the polls now show that a large majority of people now believe Brexit was a mistake.

And if that majority which is now around the 58/60% level became say 65% or more over the next few years how can it not be a sensible thing to do.
Brexit-second referendum on 10:09 - Feb 13 with 1271 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 20:55 - Feb 12 by Kilkennyjack

Enjoy.

What a joy Brexit is ……. well maybe it is for super wealthy Mogg …?

Obviously a link to a tweet from a random bloke showing an out of context photo of a crowd at an airport is compelling evidence for your argument.

And I would never dream of questioning the integrity nor the journalistic competence of the titan that is “Julian Smith”.

But a few observations from me anyway:

1: There is not an airport in the world where people can “walk straight through”. Especially Geneva. I’ve flown there numerous times when we were still in the EU and it’s one of the most stringent airports around. They have separate exits depending on whether you’re moving on to Switzerland, France or Italy and they also have vehicle checkpoints on the roads leaving the airport. Switzerland takes its border control seriously, nobody “walks straight through”.

2: February is peak ski season. These sorts of crowds/queues are inevitable. It took us hours to get our baggage and get out of there and that was 2013. There was no “walking straight through” for us.

3: The people in that photo don’t look very British to me, but that’s just an opinion.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Brexit-second referendum on 10:13 - Feb 13 with 1259 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Also, from the travel office website:

“UK nationals do not need a visa to enter Switzerland. At passport control, UK nationals should use the ‘ALL PASSPORTS’ lane, irrespective of their residence status.”

I think we can safely file Julian Smith’s tweet under “bollocks”.

Brexit-second referendum on 15:25 - Feb 13 with 1211 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit-second referendum on 10:13 - Feb 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Also, from the travel office website:

“UK nationals do not need a visa to enter Switzerland. At passport control, UK nationals should use the ‘ALL PASSPORTS’ lane, irrespective of their residence status.”

I think we can safely file Julian Smith’s tweet under “bollocks”.

Blah blah blah ….. there are many such posts on twitter as you well know … maybe a huge remianer conspiracy to harm Brexit ….. 🤣

Becoming a 3rd country is a lot less of a win when you have to give up freedom of movement as the price to pay.

So we are stuck in long queues for checks that EU citizens can still walk straight past.
Plus the small boats keep arriving because Brexit killed the Dublin agreement to return people from the UK to the safe EU country from which the came.

Johnson is a genius. Not.

Beware of the Risen People

Brexit-second referendum on 15:34 - Feb 13 with 1208 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 15:25 - Feb 13 by Kilkennyjack

Blah blah blah ….. there are many such posts on twitter as you well know … maybe a huge remianer conspiracy to harm Brexit ….. 🤣

Becoming a 3rd country is a lot less of a win when you have to give up freedom of movement as the price to pay.

So we are stuck in long queues for checks that EU citizens can still walk straight past.
Plus the small boats keep arriving because Brexit killed the Dublin agreement to return people from the UK to the safe EU country from which the came.

You seem to have misread the facts I posted from the travel office. Uk passport holders go through the same lane as the EU ones in Switzerland airports. So this post by Julian suggesting there’s a massive queue in the uk lane whilst the EU lads go skipping through their lane unchallenged singing Ode To Joy is impossible.

Julian is a liar.

You keep posting these sorts of tweets from these peculiar activist types. They can often be completely dismantled with the slightest bit of intelligence and common sense. But then people with intelligence and common sense are not the target audience for these tweets. You are.

Brexit-second referendum on 17:02 - Feb 13 with 1179 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit-second referendum on 15:34 - Feb 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

You seem to have misread the facts I posted from the travel office. Uk passport holders go through the same lane as the EU ones in Switzerland airports. So this post by Julian suggesting there’s a massive queue in the uk lane whilst the EU lads go skipping through their lane unchallenged singing Ode To Joy is impossible.

Julian is a liar.

You keep posting these sorts of tweets from these peculiar activist types. They can often be completely dismantled with the slightest bit of intelligence and common sense. But then people with intelligence and common sense are not the target audience for these tweets. You are.

👛

Brexit-second referendum on 17:17 - Feb 13 with 1167 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 22:37 - Feb 13 with 1129 viewsmajorraglan

Brexit-second referendum on 09:15 - Feb 13 by felixstowe_jack

Idiot Geneva is in Switzerland who are not in the. EU.

When I travelled to Tenerife recently they had 3 queues .
One for EU citizens, one for non EU countries and one for UK passport holders. The longest queue was for EU passport holders the shortest was for UK passport holders.

The canaries rely on the huge number of British citizens and makes it easy for them.

Switzerland is not in the EU but it is in the Schengen area.

I went to Portugal a few weeks ago, EU passport holders went straight through while we had to queue with the others. Delays weren’t huge, but there was a noticeable difference in processing time which is understandable as the passport control staff have to check to see if 3rd country citizens are projected to exceed the 90 day limit.
Brexit-second referendum on 05:06 - Feb 14 with 1094 viewsAnotherJohn

Brexit-second referendum on 21:04 - Feb 9 by majorraglan

The £1.8bn figure relates to all foreign nationals including those from EU countries who have reciprocal arrangements for health care under the GHIC/EHIC scheme arrangements. According to 1 respected source of info “health tourism” is approximately £110m - £250m per annum, which is still a sizeable amount but nothing on the scale it’s been portrayed to be. We should aim to recover as much as we can.

One of my family became extremely unwell a few years ago whilst we were on holiday in Europe. They spent 12 days in hospital and received excellent care, tbh I’m not sure they’d have pulled through it it has been here in the U.K. Once they’d seen the EHIC card they were happy and that was it.

There is a system of transfer payments so that in theory a UK citizen treated in e.g. Spain under the former EHIC/now GHIC is funded by the UK government. The problem is that the UK has been less effective in recovering costs of treating eligible foreign nationals here than vice versa, probably mainly because the ethos of the NHS has hindered strong monitoring and enforcement of the rules. This government impact assessment re recent policies to tighten the rules sets out the background.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

The following link explains the difference between the two cost figures mentioned earlier in this thread.

https://fullfact.org/health/health-tourists-how-much-do-they-cost-and-who-pays/
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit-second referendum on 07:09 - Feb 14 with 1083 viewsBoundy

You have a unerring knack of not absorbing any information provided to you , how have you managed crossing the road without being knocked down remains a mystery

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Brexit-second referendum on 07:35 - Feb 14 with 1078 viewsBoundy

IMO Brexit may or maynot be a mistake, we won't know for few years yet, the mistakes that are being made is that we have an ineffective Government who really are inept with too many pro remainers in positions of power who'd be quite happy to see it fail

Brexit-second referendum on 09:42 - Feb 14 with 1040 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I think we can safely call Julian's tweets as Rubbish especially as Switzerland is not in the EU and therefore UK residents arriving there face the same procedures as before.
I can also say some people such as killy are very susceptible and gullible to these post. They take them at face value rather than actually read them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brexit-second referendum on 09:59 - Feb 14 with 1035 viewswaynekerr55

Brexit-second referendum on 07:35 - Feb 14 by Boundy

IMO Brexit may or maynot be a mistake, we won't know for few years yet, the mistakes that are being made is that we have an ineffective Government who really are inept with too many pro remainers in positions of power who'd be quite happy to see it fail

"Pro remainers"

They all stood on a campaign to vote for Johnson's deal. The issue is in global trade there are rules and standards to be followed. We voted to be a rule taker but could possibly diverge away outside of the EU bloc. We got exactly what we voted for.

This "remainer sabotage" is simply untrue. The fact of the matter is leaving a system we've been intertwined in for four decades needed more than a half baked withdrawal agreement and years of negotiations. That's just reality, not this utter tosh that a bunch of chancers want you to believe.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Brexit-second referendum on 10:27 - Feb 14 with 1026 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 09:42 - Feb 14 by felixstowe_jack

I think we can safely call Julian's tweets as Rubbish especially as Switzerland is not in the EU and therefore UK residents arriving there face the same procedures as before.
I can also say some people such as killy are very susceptible and gullible to these post. They take them at face value rather than actually read them.

It’s crazy how people fall for this guff.

Brexit-second referendum on 10:41 - Feb 14 with 1020 viewsWhiterockin

Brexit-second referendum on 10:27 - Feb 14 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It’s crazy how people fall for this guff.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Brexit-second referendum on 22:12 - Feb 14 with 960 viewsmajorraglan

Most of the movers and shakers in todays Cabinet and previous Cabinets since Boris election are all Leavers, the vast majority of the Remainers were purged in 2019.

The way I see it is that the preparation has been shambolic, the Trade deals negotiated by Truss were woeful and while anyone with half a brain knew (and expected) there to be an economic hit, it just seems the inability to agree things and provide a stable foundation to move forward is hampering investment and that’s making things worse. When people like JRM tell us we need to wait 50 years to see the benefit the alarm bells should be ringing.

Why on earth should we trust a government to deliver on Brexit when so many of the things they've touched before have turned to a crock of @@@@!
Brexit-second referendum on 22:38 - Feb 14 with 957 viewsBoundy

Brexit-second referendum on 22:12 - Feb 14 by majorraglan

Most of the movers and shakers in todays Cabinet and previous Cabinets since Boris election are all Leavers, the vast majority of the Remainers were purged in 2019.

The way I see it is that the preparation has been shambolic, the Trade deals negotiated by Truss were woeful and while anyone with half a brain knew (and expected) there to be an economic hit, it just seems the inability to agree things and provide a stable foundation to move forward is hampering investment and that’s making things worse. When people like JRM tell us we need to wait 50 years to see the benefit the alarm bells should be ringing.

Why on earth should we trust a government to deliver on Brexit when so many of the things they've touched before have turned to a crock of @@@@!

and since 2019 we've had two years of lock downs financial crisis after financial crisis, cabinet reshuffles galore all of which must have had an impact on government decesion and policy making , I note you mention all the majority (not all) remainers were removed but the Brexit vote was in 2016 there was still time for those in power to scupper any deals nor plan properly . I have to say the EU ( understandably) haven't helped during the process .Too many politicians had a vested interest in us staying in , I have to belive that others wise the alternative is that we have a bunch of incompentents, crooks and charlatens running the country and that wouldn't be true , would it ?

Brexit-second referendum on 22:46 - Feb 14 with 955 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit-second referendum on 22:38 - Feb 14 by Boundy

and since 2019 we've had two years of lock downs financial crisis after financial crisis, cabinet reshuffles galore all of which must have had an impact on government decesion and policy making , I note you mention all the majority (not all) remainers were removed but the Brexit vote was in 2016 there was still time for those in power to scupper any deals nor plan properly . I have to say the EU ( understandably) haven't helped during the process .Too many politicians had a vested interest in us staying in , I have to belive that others wise the alternative is that we have a bunch of incompentents, crooks and charlatens running the country and that wouldn't be true , would it ?

Well exactly …… 🤣

Brexit-second referendum on 22:48 - Feb 14 with 954 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit can never work.

Its just a really stupid idea.

Rich Tory toffs are happy though.
EU tax laws nearly got them.

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 934 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit-second referendum on 22:48 - Feb 14 by Kilkennyjack

Brexit can never work.

Its just a really stupid idea.

Rich Tory toffs are happy though.
EU tax laws nearly got them.

52% of the elaborate voted democratically to leave the EU. The vast majority wwre not rich Conservatives. It is called democracy.
Good new for Scotland wee Jimmy is about to resign.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 13:18 - Feb 15 with 879 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 10:18 - Feb 15 by felixstowe_jack

52% of the elaborate voted democratically to leave the EU. The vast majority wwre not rich Conservatives. It is called democracy.

Democracy also means if you disagree with a political party, policy or individual decision, you are allowed to continue to put forward your argument.

I have fully accepted the leave vote and want it to go well. However, I’ll still call out the lies and misdirection that’s used to try and pretend things are better than they are. That includes the latest line that it’s all remainer tories and negotiators scuppering the easiest deal in history.

I fully understand why it’s easier for leavers to run with this than accept that in some areas they were sold a pup.
Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 17:50 - Feb 17 with 770 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 10:18 - Feb 15 by felixstowe_jack

It was an advisory referendum.
This meant less scrutiny.
If it was mandatory then it would have been unsafe.

Plus it was almost certainly Russian funded.

And the many lies …..

I think you mean electorate but democratic it was not.

2026 is ten years, so soon we can do it all again …. 🤣🇪🇺

Brexit-second referendum on 18:37 - Feb 17 with 754 viewspencoedjack

Brexit-second referendum on 15:34 - Feb 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Julian is a liar.

If he ever managed to get out of the hovel he lives in he’d see the bigger world & what an airport actually looks like.

Until then he can rely on some bloke on twitter to tell him.
Brexit-second referendum on 18:51 - Feb 17 with 739 viewsTogg

Brexit-second referendum on 18:37 - Feb 17 by pencoedjack

If he ever managed to get out of the hovel he lives in he’d see the bigger world & what an airport actually looks like.

Until then he can rely on some bloke on twitter to tell him.

There's a big wide world out there with loads of opportunities. Or alternatively you can just sit in your bedroom moan and have political wet dreams. M
Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 19:55 - Feb 17 with 704 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 17:50 - Feb 17 by Kilkennyjack

It was an advisory referendum.
This meant less scrutiny.
If it was mandatory then it would have been unsafe.

Plus it was almost certainly Russian funded.

And the many lies …..

I think you mean electorate but democratic it was not.

2026 is ten years, so soon we can do it all again …. 🤣🇪🇺

Who exactly was it advising? And for what purpose? If the result was not enacted on then what exactly would be the point of an advisory referendum?

Don’t forget that pretty much every politician on both sides of the debate stated absolutely categorically that they would abide by the result. The leaflet that went through every letterbox in the land said the same.

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 20:22 - Feb 17 with 699 viewspencoedjack

Brexit-s52% of voterecond referendum on 19:55 - Feb 17 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Who exactly was it advising? And for what purpose? If the result was not enacted on then what exactly would be the point of an advisory referendum?

Don’t forget that pretty much every politician on both sides of the debate stated absolutely categorically that they would abide by the result. The leaflet that went through every letterbox in the land said the same.

Yes when an MP like Madeline Moon in Bridgend decided that she would keep her own anti brexit views rather than that of her constituents she got voted out.

We ended up with a drink driving transvestite but that’s another story.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024