Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trains strikes called off 20:30 - Mar 7 with 4917 viewsozranger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64883158

Appears that only some disruption next Thursday but Wigan is back ok for a lovely trip up north on April Fools Day
Trains strikes called off on 21:14 - Mar 7 with 4735 viewsdaveB

It's not overly clear if that 1st April strike is still on or not
Trains strikes called off on 21:15 - Mar 7 with 4729 viewsNorthernr

Trains strikes called off on 21:14 - Mar 7 by daveB

It's not overly clear if that 1st April strike is still on or not

Yeh clear as mud at the moment, but positive if the rmt are moving towards a deal.
Trains strikes called off on 18:32 - Mar 22 with 4252 viewsozranger

Sorry, before I was pre-empting this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64896128

So, trains should really now be running to Wigan
Trains strikes called off on 10:50 - Mar 23 with 3951 viewsQPREvo

Does anyone know when the train tickets go on sale? Just had a look and none are showing at the moment.
Trains strikes called off on 10:54 - Mar 23 with 3943 viewsNorthernr

Trains strikes called off on 10:50 - Mar 23 by QPREvo

Does anyone know when the train tickets go on sale? Just had a look and none are showing at the moment.

Avanti say they'll release a timetable 28 March, which is nice of them. Sub human scum.
Trains strikes called off on 11:23 - Mar 23 with 3896 viewsdaveB

Trains strikes called off on 10:54 - Mar 23 by Northernr

Avanti say they'll release a timetable 28 March, which is nice of them. Sub human scum.

Christ sake, bet the fares reflect that as well
Trains strikes called off on 15:31 - Mar 23 with 3764 viewsterryb

I expect that I'm being stupid, but why couldn't they have held negoiations at any point since the dispute began?

Is it due to a change from the train operators, or have the government stopped telling them that this, that & the other had to be included in the talks?
Trains strikes called off on 09:14 - Mar 24 with 3600 viewsGeorgeKulscar

tried to set up a ticket alert and got this - '

"Unfortunately there are no advance tickets available for your journey from London to Wigan North Western.

It is unlikely any will be released for your travel date on 1 April."

Why the fck were they given a contract extension? You can't even buy an advanced ticket, assuming this means all train tickets will be expensive.
Login to get fewer ads

Trains strikes called off on 09:20 - Mar 24 with 3590 viewsNorthernr

Trains strikes called off on 09:14 - Mar 24 by GeorgeKulscar

tried to set up a ticket alert and got this - '

"Unfortunately there are no advance tickets available for your journey from London to Wigan North Western.

It is unlikely any will be released for your travel date on 1 April."

Why the fck were they given a contract extension? You can't even buy an advanced ticket, assuming this means all train tickets will be expensive.

The website is still behaving as if there is a strike.
Perhaps they're going to go with the excuse that a fortnight isn't enough notice to get a roster together so even though it's off it's not really.
Trains strikes called off on 17:03 - Mar 24 with 3408 viewsCrossittommy

Avanti trains now "timetabled", but hugely expensive. Much cheaper getting a return to Crewe with London North Western and then Crewe to Wigan with the other shutters.
Trains strikes called off on 18:02 - Mar 24 with 3340 viewsstowmarketrange

With Wigan players on strike over unpaid wages,it will be just our luck that the game is postponed.
Trains strikes called off on 08:15 - Mar 25 with 3193 viewsdaveB

Trains strikes called off on 17:03 - Mar 24 by Crossittommy

Avanti trains now "timetabled", but hugely expensive. Much cheaper getting a return to Crewe with London North Western and then Crewe to Wigan with the other shutters.

Not all trains yet, you can buy going but not all trains coming back, absolute farce and the prices are ridiculous
Trains strikes called off on 10:22 - Mar 25 with 3139 viewsterryb

Trains strikes called off on 09:20 - Mar 24 by Northernr

The website is still behaving as if there is a strike.
Perhaps they're going to go with the excuse that a fortnight isn't enough notice to get a roster together so even though it's off it's not really.

I'm sure that the "abuse reported" was clicked by mistake , but how do you deal with this Clive?

Surely you can't investigate when it is you that has been reported?
Trains strikes called off on 11:05 - Mar 25 with 3116 viewsCrossittommy

Trains strikes called off on 10:22 - Mar 25 by terryb

I'm sure that the "abuse reported" was clicked by mistake , but how do you deal with this Clive?

Think that might have been my chubby fingers pressing the wrong button - so please ignore. Apologies.
Trains strikes called off on 08:03 - Mar 28 with 2849 viewsdaveB

This company are a joke, train back is either a sprint back to the station and then a 3 and a half hour journey or wait till half 7

Had a look at next weekend to see what its normally like and the journey back is 6 hours and a change at Milton Keynes. Has Wigan moved, I swear it was never this long in past visits
Trains strikes called off on 16:10 - Mar 28 with 2718 viewsNorthernr

Trains strikes called off on 10:22 - Mar 25 by terryb

I just have to try and behave myself mate.

Obviously this doesn't always work.

Who polices the police?
Trains strikes called off on 16:15 - Mar 28 with 2705 viewsNorthernr

Trains strikes called off on 08:03 - Mar 28 by daveB

This company are a joke, train back is either a sprint back to the station and then a 3 and a half hour journey or wait till half 7

Had a look at next weekend to see what its normally like and the journey back is 6 hours and a change at Milton Keynes. Has Wigan moved, I swear it was never this long in past visits

Boring train geekery, but the structure of the timetable on that line is just a farce.

Basically you have a train from Glasgow that picks up at Carlisle, Preston, and then basically nowhere else, occasionally Wigan or Warrington. Always absolutely rammed. Always absolutely extortionate.

You've then got another that goes from Preston that's always cheaper and presumably designed to take some heat off the main train, but it stops absolutely everywhere, veers off into Birmingham for a bit to stop at Wolves, Sandwell, New Street, the Airport, then back onto the mainline for a 20 minute sit and rest at Milton Keynes. Nearly 4 hours of train, which would shame the age of steam. What you find is loads of people bail out of it at Crewe, and then board trains from Manchester to London which are already rammed, exacerbating that situation.

Those are your two options.

A real shame was pre-pandemic Grand Central were due to launch a disrupter like they have on the East Coast, London to Blackpool North using the old 225 sets from the East Coast (much nicer trains than Avanti) with stops at Wigan and Preston. That would have been cheaper than Avanti, on nicer trains, and none of the nonsense above. Sadly having bought the trains and trained the drivers, they ditched the idea during the pandemic. I'm hoping it comes back because that line is dying for an operator other than Avanti to run a rival service.
Trains strikes called off on 16:31 - Mar 28 with 2676 viewsWirralHoop

Pre Pandemic London North Western had actually started running trains direct from Liverpool to Euston. I know that doesn't help Wigan but it was a cheap option and direct for me. The change at Crewe for the LNW from Birmingham can be 58 mins. Great planning there.

Still could be worse. Euston is shut again all over Easter trying to come down Good Friday is a farce.

I'll see those brave enough at Wigan
Trains strikes called off on 16:55 - Mar 28 with 2646 viewsstevec

Not a regular traveller but I recall when we went to the Wigan play off semi back in the day, we took the London to Manchester train, only took a touch over 2 hours and there was regular Manchester to Wigan trains that took about 40 minutes.

Admittedly we did the Manchester run one day, stayed over, then did the wigan train the following day, but I imagine it could be done same day in around three hours or so?

May not help but just in case
Trains strikes called off on 17:41 - Mar 28 with 2616 viewsdaveB

Trains strikes called off on 16:55 - Mar 28 by stevec

Not a regular traveller but I recall when we went to the Wigan play off semi back in the day, we took the London to Manchester train, only took a touch over 2 hours and there was regular Manchester to Wigan trains that took about 40 minutes.

Admittedly we did the Manchester run one day, stayed over, then did the wigan train the following day, but I imagine it could be done same day in around three hours or so?

May not help but just in case

Yeah I've done that route before, it is possible but this late in the day cheapest I could get was £90quid return to Manchester and thats without the Wigan train which would be tight to make connections

I'm taking it all as a sign I should watch it at home, been a nightmare trying to sort travel for away games this season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024