Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum 03:31 - Sep 19 with 9842 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60881
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:04 - Sep 19 with 1585 viewsAntti_Heinola

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 12:36 - Sep 19 by HaslingtonR

My last train from Euston leaves at 10pm, so I have to miss evening matches.
It would be interesting to try some earlier starts to see the overall effect.
Possibly when playing a team travelling a long way?

Sympathise with that of course - every evening game doesn't fill up until about 10 mins in though, so feels like people struggle to make it for 745. Benefit i guess is more time for a pint to drown sorrows after the game though!

Bare bones.

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:10 - Sep 19 with 1558 viewsAntti_Heinola

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 14:32 - Sep 19 by NewBee

Except LR is not like an old house in Notting Hill, where a new kitchen/loft extension/garden conservatory and a lick of paint will do the job, since the basic structure is sound. Nor are there (the footballing equivalent of) legions of punters queueing up to buy the place from you the moment it comes on the market.

To get LR to modern H&S standards, never mind peoples expectations of comfort and amenity these days, you would have to knock down whole stands and start again, deep level foundations and all. Which would cost tens of millions without greatly increasing capacity, if at all.

Which in turn would take years, decades even, to recoup in match revenue.

And as for this notion of developing non-matchday revenue for the other 340 days when LR is not being used for games, who else amongst the other clubs in the 92 who do not have new and modern, purpose-built stadia are doing that?

I'm not saying QPR couldn't being in some extra revenue from somewhere, and in the club's present condition, every penny is vaulable. But what exactly could the club do with LR?

Office space? Since Covid/WFH, commerical rents in London have actually falling by (I think) a third. Conferencing? What with Zoom and the like, existing companies, who have vast experience in the field are struggling at the moment, so does anyone think a newcomer could hack it? Catering and Weddings? Sorry, but London is coming down with far superior venues. Gym and Community use? Maybe, but such users simply don't have big bucks to spend. While the other development option - i.e. knock it down and build houses - obviously isn't a runner

You reference Brentford, but even with a modern new stadium, including extra corporate and premium seating etc, the owner has openly declared that the club could not pay its way in the Championship - PL TV and Prize money are the key.

And LR is a wasting asset, costing ever more in maintenance etc, which will eventually be deemed unfit for professional league football unless significant money is spent on it, or capacity is drastically reduced - see eg Leyton Orient.

Therefore unless QPR can get promoted, and/or the owners put their hands in their pockets and buy a site for a new stadium, then it's hard to see any positive future for QPR so long as you stay at LR.

And I say that with genuine regret, since for all the rivalry between QPR and the Bees etc, I think it good for the game generally, and local football fans especially, for West London to have three* flourishing professional football clubs.

* - Chelsea can go fcuk themselves.

What rivalry?

Agree though, and that has always been more my point. LR cannot last forever. The stadium is old and uncomfortable and at some point it will likely be unsafe. As I've said on here before, there is barely a club in the top 3 divisions that have not either moved, rebuilt or had a significant upgrade in the last 30 years, while all we've done is put seats in and take seats out again. However you paint it, a more radical remodelling or a move will at some point become unavoidable.

Bare bones.

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:13 - Sep 19 with 1542 viewsRangersw12

The only reason Linford Christie is a non starter is because the club expected the council to gift them the land whilst then profiteering from the sale of Loftus Road which the council have quite rightly told them to do one .

If the board were really serious about moving then we would have by now .
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:43 - Sep 19 with 1466 viewsdaveB

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:04 - Sep 19 by Antti_Heinola

Sympathise with that of course - every evening game doesn't fill up until about 10 mins in though, so feels like people struggle to make it for 745. Benefit i guess is more time for a pint to drown sorrows after the game though!

They could trial in with the annual league cup exit making it an earlier kick off, hardly get more than 7/8000 for those anyway
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:47 - Sep 19 with 1452 viewsBostonR

Except LR is not like an old house in Notting Hill, where a new kitchen/loft extension/garden conservatory and a lick of paint will do the job, since the basic structure is sound. Nor are there (the footballing equivalent of) legions of punters queueing up to buy the place from you the moment it comes on the market.

To get LR to modern H&S standards, never mind peoples expectations of comfort and amenity these days, you would have to knock down whole stands and start again, deep level foundations and all. Which would cost tens of millions without greatly increasing capacity, if at all.

And as for this notion of developing non-matchday revenue for the other 340 days when LR is not being used for games, who else amongst the other clubs in the 92 who do not have new and modern, purpose-built stadia are doing that?

I'm not saying QPR couldn't being in some extra revenue from somewhere, and in the club's present condition, every penny is vaulable. But what exactly could the club do with LR?

Office space? Since Covid/WFH, commerical rents in London have actually falling by (I think) a third. Conferencing? What with Zoom and the like, existing companies, who have vast experience in the field are struggling at the moment, so does anyone think a newcomer could hack it? Catering and Weddings? Sorry, but London is coming down with far superior venues. Gym and Community use? Maybe, but such users simply don't have big bucks to spend. While the other development option - i.e. knock it down and build houses - obviously isn't a runner

You reference Brentford, but even with a modern new stadium, including extra corporate and premium seating etc, the owner has openly declared that the club could not pay its way in the Championship - PL TV and Prize money are the key.

And LR is a wasting asset, costing ever more in maintenance etc, which will eventually be deemed unfit for professional league football unless significant money is spent on it, or capacity is drastically reduced - see eg Leyton Orient.

Therefore unless QPR can get promoted, and/or the owners put their hands in their pockets and buy a site for a new stadium, then it's hard to see any positive future for QPR so long as you stay at LR.

And I say that with genuine regret, since for all the rivalry between QPR and the Bees etc, I think it good for the game generally, and local football fans especially, for West London to have three* flourishing professional football clubs.

Not sure where you are getting your information regarding zero interest on punters to buy LR - would be interested to read your source.
If you take a look at the White City footprint you will see enormous investment has taken place over the past 5-10yrs. From a RE investment perspective in London “West is Best” and there are plenty of investment vehicles/pension funds willing to invest.
If LR came on the market today with residential/commercial planning permission it would be sold quickly - no question and for circa £80/100M perhaps more and the Board know that.
Clearly the Board have been told that LCS is not negotiable and they are reluctant to move the club up M40 corridor.
I’m baffled by the announcement on re-looking at some re-development of LR. It makes no financial sense and something about this doesn’t make sense. It goes against all good economic and reinvestment good practice. I’m baffled and I have been in RE Investment for over 40yrs. A smokescreen perhaps?
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:50 - Sep 19 with 1440 viewspaulparker

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:13 - Sep 19 by Rangersw12

The only reason Linford Christie is a non starter is because the club expected the council to gift them the land whilst then profiteering from the sale of Loftus Road which the council have quite rightly told them to do one .

If the board were really serious about moving then we would have by now .

Exactly
Every other club has moved forward In London but us , having read the minutes the impression I get is not a good one , these owners come across as more clueless everytime they have opened their mouths , we are surviving day to day there’s never ever been a long term plan with this mob

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:51 - Sep 19 with 1443 viewsBushRanger82

And so another chit-chat between some fans, and some club bigwigs, concludes.

Same old, same old.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:53 - Sep 19 with 1429 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 15:53 - Sep 19 by GaryBannister86

I do agree with this argument about the non-matchday revenue. Unless we can build something that can host other sporting events like boxing or NFL or some such, is there really any money to be had in it?

Interesting, though, that Hoos mentioned the training ground is already beginning to bring in money from Paddy Power etc.

Indeed, And something else many people don't seem to appreciate is the difference between revenue and profit. Sure, you can have non-match day business which is bringing in decent revenue, but what about the cost of doing that business?

I've probably mentioned it here before, but Brentford, tired of seeing supporters' money going into the pockets of the owners of the four corner pubs at Griffin Park, eventually bought one of them for themselves. Eventually they sold it again, because it was losing money!

Similarly with the GTech, they originally had plans to incorporate Conferencing Facilities and a Hotel on the site. Until they realised that they didn't actually know anything about running that type of business, certainly not as much as all their competitors in West London, who had been doing it for years.
Login to get fewer ads

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:05 - Sep 19 with 1396 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:47 - Sep 19 by BostonR

Not sure where you are getting your information regarding zero interest on punters to buy LR - would be interested to read your source.
If you take a look at the White City footprint you will see enormous investment has taken place over the past 5-10yrs. From a RE investment perspective in London “West is Best” and there are plenty of investment vehicles/pension funds willing to invest.
If LR came on the market today with residential/commercial planning permission it would be sold quickly - no question and for circa £80/100M perhaps more and the Board know that.
Clearly the Board have been told that LCS is not negotiable and they are reluctant to move the club up M40 corridor.
I’m baffled by the announcement on re-looking at some re-development of LR. It makes no financial sense and something about this doesn’t make sense. It goes against all good economic and reinvestment good practice. I’m baffled and I have been in RE Investment for over 40yrs. A smokescreen perhaps?

Sorry, I should have explained. If you buy an old house in Notting Hill and spend a few quid doing it up etc, you can then expect there to be plenty of buyers when you put it on the market, thereby realising a profit.

You can then take the proceeds and go and live wherever you like - a villa in Spain, perhaps?

So of course QPR would have developers queueing up to buy LR if it were to be put up for sale with PP for flats. But where would you go then?

Remember, your owners have just said at the Forum that a move away from LR is not on the cards.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:15 - Sep 19 with 1399 viewsStanisgod

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:04 - Sep 19 by Antti_Heinola

Thanks so much Clive - really appreciate you doing all that as it's far more fun for me to read than sit through the entire thing.

Are people really asking for games to start at 7pm? I don't know about anyone else, but unless you work in Shep Bush, how the eff are you going to make it to the ground for 6.45 (minimum) to get in on time? Absurd.

I think back to 7.30 wouldn't be a bad thing as that negates the ridiculous time added on. I wont be seeing the end of many midweek games this season due to train time tightness.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:28 - Sep 19 with 1381 viewsBostonR

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:05 - Sep 19 by NewBee

Sorry, I should have explained. If you buy an old house in Notting Hill and spend a few quid doing it up etc, you can then expect there to be plenty of buyers when you put it on the market, thereby realising a profit.

You can then take the proceeds and go and live wherever you like - a villa in Spain, perhaps?

So of course QPR would have developers queueing up to buy LR if it were to be put up for sale with PP for flats. But where would you go then?

Remember, your owners have just said at the Forum that a move away from LR is not on the cards.

The main point is that selling LR is irrelevant. The current owners have enough wealth to build a new stadium on their own without realising a return on LR - they don’t need to wait for that return.
Their comments on redeveloping LR make no sense given it has run its course. The only way a redevelopment works is to acquire more land around the current footprint and that is expensive and doesn’t fit a long term strategy.
Something doesn’t add up.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:52 - Sep 19 with 1327 viewsmart_Goblin

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 16:10 - Sep 19 by Antti_Heinola

What rivalry?

Agree though, and that has always been more my point. LR cannot last forever. The stadium is old and uncomfortable and at some point it will likely be unsafe. As I've said on here before, there is barely a club in the top 3 divisions that have not either moved, rebuilt or had a significant upgrade in the last 30 years, while all we've done is put seats in and take seats out again. However you paint it, a more radical remodelling or a move will at some point become unavoidable.

Out of the 92 football league clubs , we are 92nd in the table of clubs who have done ‘major’ work most recently
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 18:25 - Sep 19 with 1278 viewsdutch

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:28 - Sep 19 by BostonR

The main point is that selling LR is irrelevant. The current owners have enough wealth to build a new stadium on their own without realising a return on LR - they don’t need to wait for that return.
Their comments on redeveloping LR make no sense given it has run its course. The only way a redevelopment works is to acquire more land around the current footprint and that is expensive and doesn’t fit a long term strategy.

Selling LR is irrelevant so don't do it. But if they want to put the club on a firm footing, then making LR fit for purpose, as both a football stadium and a generator of funds, they have to spend the money here in W12. As in all London assets the land is the real value, not what sits upon it, and land in White City has rocketed. We must bite the bullet, spend the dough on LR and watch our value grow. Location, Location, Loftus Road.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:20 - Sep 19 with 1178 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 17:28 - Sep 19 by BostonR

If you were to present LR to the Council in its present state, it wouldn't get a H&S Licence for a 10k capacity - the only reason it's allowed to hold 18k(?) is historic.

While I'd guess a complete rebuild on the present site's footprint, even with the cleverest of designs, would cost many millions and still only produce a capacity somewhere less than it has today. And I doubt very much whether such a new configuration would make much of a dent in the £1m a month the club is currently losing, unless you were to raise ticket prices to unacceptable levels.

Meaning that imo, and as the example of Brentford/Griffin Park shows, QPR has no long term future at LR, it's merely a question of how long before the ground is finally pronounced unfit for purpose.

Which brings us to your point about "something not adding up". I can only think that since the owners certainly are wealthy enough to bulld a new stadium on a site in or near W12, they simply aren't prepared to spend the £250m minimum it would take to do so, but don't want to admit it publicly.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:42 - Sep 19 with 1136 viewsdutch

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:20 - Sep 19 by NewBee

If you were to present LR to the Council in its present state, it wouldn't get a H&S Licence for a 10k capacity - the only reason it's allowed to hold 18k(?) is historic.

While I'd guess a complete rebuild on the present site's footprint, even with the cleverest of designs, would cost many millions and still only produce a capacity somewhere less than it has today. And I doubt very much whether such a new configuration would make much of a dent in the £1m a month the club is currently losing, unless you were to raise ticket prices to unacceptable levels.

Meaning that imo, and as the example of Brentford/Griffin Park shows, QPR has no long term future at LR, it's merely a question of how long before the ground is finally pronounced unfit for purpose.

Which brings us to your point about "something not adding up". I can only think that since the owners certainly are wealthy enough to bulld a new stadium on a site in or near W12, they simply aren't prepared to spend the £250m minimum it would take to do so, but don't want to admit it publicly.

I'm sorry but the Notting Hill house analogue holds true, it is the location not the bricks and mortar which matter. Yours will always be a bus stop in some god forsaken Middlesex postcode, while we are in prime west London.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:45 - Sep 19 with 1132 viewsBostonR

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:20 - Sep 19 by NewBee

Frankly, your first paragraph is utter bollocks and ill informed. If LR has a safety issue enforcement action would have been taken against the owners and promptly.
£250M is small change to our owners. They have assets in the £BN’s. Lift FFP and the owners would be heavily investing in the team. They’ve made historic errors and are paying a high price for that.
The stadium is another complex matter and we will have to wait and see what transpires.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 20:44 - Sep 19 with 1069 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:42 - Sep 19 by dutch

I'm sorry but the Notting Hill house analogue holds true, it is the location not the bricks and mortar which matter. Yours will always be a bus stop in some god forsaken Middlesex postcode, while we are in prime west London.

It is worth sod-all with a football stadium on it. And if it is worth a tidy sum with PP for development for flats etc, there is no way the site alone would generate enough for QPR to purchase another site in/near W12 and build a new 20k (minimum) stadium on it.

So where is the club going to play after they'vew sold off LR, unless the owners are going to plunge a fortune into a new project?

Which they indicated isn't going to happen, as recently as last night.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 20:48 - Sep 19 with 1075 viewsdutch

The value is long term being a club in central London. You can be out in the boondocks and sustain a few seasons but LR is a massive asset. Our owners are wealthy enough that the monetary value is irrelevant.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 20:56 - Sep 19 with 1058 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 19:45 - Sep 19 by BostonR

Frankly, your first paragraph is utter bollocks and ill informed. If LR has a safety issue enforcement action would have been taken against the owners and promptly.
£250M is small change to our owners. They have assets in the £BN’s. Lift FFP and the owners would be heavily investing in the team. They’ve made historic errors and are paying a high price for that.
The stadium is another complex matter and we will have to wait and see what transpires.

As it stands, LR meets the minimum requirement for a Safety Cert.

But if you were rebuilding the stadium on the present site, with the Council demanding more than just the bare minimum, any new proposal would have to meet today's (considerably higher) standards with a view to the next 50-odd years.

Which would mean much more of the existing small site devoted to access and egress, larger concourses, more legroom, better toilets and catering etc than at present, thereby limiting the total seating capacity. And as Matthew Benham has pointed out re the GTech, a capacity of, say, 15k, is financially unsustainable in the Championship.

As for your "£250m small change" assertion, I daresay that's true. But what evidence is there that they're prepared to spend such a sum after all this time?

While there is no sign whatever that anyone is going to "lift FFP" - if anything, the authorities are only likely to tighten the game's financial regulations.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 21:28 - Sep 19 with 1044 viewsBostonR

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 20:56 - Sep 19 by NewBee

As it stands, LR meets the minimum requirement for a Safety Cert.

But if you were rebuilding the stadium on the present site, with the Council demanding more than just the bare minimum, any new proposal would have to meet today's (considerably higher) standards with a view to the next 50-odd years.

Which would mean much more of the existing small site devoted to access and egress, larger concourses, more legroom, better toilets and catering etc than at present, thereby limiting the total seating capacity. And as Matthew Benham has pointed out re the GTech, a capacity of, say, 15k, is financially unsustainable in the Championship.

As for your "£250m small change" assertion, I daresay that's true. But what evidence is there that they're prepared to spend such a sum after all this time?

While there is no sign whatever that anyone is going to "lift FFP" - if anything, the authorities are only likely to tighten the game's financial regulations.

You come on here spouting utter bollocks. Demonstrate to me that LR meets minimum safety standards. Not just your anecdotal slant but documentation. My guess is you can’t but I’m here to be proven wrong.
As for the owner’s commitment they have already taken a massive financial hit and on Monday they re-committed themselves to bankrolling the club.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 23:21 - Sep 19 with 949 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 21:28 - Sep 19 by BostonR

You come on here spouting utter bollocks. Demonstrate to me that LR meets minimum safety standards. Not just your anecdotal slant but documentation. My guess is you can’t but I’m here to be proven wrong.
As for the owner’s commitment they have already taken a massive financial hit and on Monday they re-committed themselves to bankrolling the club.

Taking the the owners' financial commitment first, of course that has been extremely generous to date, but tbh, in recent seasons it has only served to keep the club from going bust.

Which leaves two routes out of the present situation. The first would be by getting promotion to the PL, but even if they were prepared to put more money into the team, that is curtailed by FFP, as you know.

While the other would be to put serious money into a new stadium and infrastructure etc so as to bring in the extra revenue to make the club self-sustaining.

On which point, training ground aside, they've shown no sign of committing to a new stadium elsewhere (see eg the LCS, or Car Giant), which leaves you back at LR, as they indicated at the FF.

On which point, of course LR meets minimum safety standards - if it didn't it would be curtailed or even closed.

But if it were to be rebuilt, even redeveloped completely, the Council would certainly demand higher standards than currently on offer at LR, so as to future-proof it for the next 50-odd years. While such a process could not allow for a capacity increase, if anything it would only restrict it further.

And it would cost many millions, and even after all this time in charge, they've not given any indication that they're prepared to do that either. (Note: "prepared" is not the same as "able") I suspect this is because it would take years, decades even, to see a return on the necessary investment.

Anyhow, that's how I see it, much of it based on seeing how Brentford had to address a similar situation. Of course I could be wrong, in which case demonstrate how it is so, preferably without the aggression.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 00:08 - Sep 20 with 926 viewsParkRoyalR

For all the rivalry.....from a club that no-one considers to be their rivals.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 03:08 - Sep 20 with 875 viewsstainrods_elbow

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:47 - Sep 19 by dutch

The development of Loftus Road has always been the best way forward. A venue with so many transport links, pubs, restaurants, close to the centre of town is our only real asset as a club. Brentford prove you don't need a big stadium in the premier, revenue is from TV etc. Bring this place up to scratch, make it pay its way in a part of London which is gentrifying at jet pace and everybody should be happy. I have long dreaded the idea of a wasteland in Heston or somewhere. We have the equivalent of the tumbledown old house in Notting Hill my parents swapped for a council house in the boondocks and regretted forever. Do it up and watch it go up in value.

This! (Careful with being a voice of soulful sanity here, matey peeps - you'll be dubbed an alien!)
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 3:12]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 04:17 - Sep 20 with 872 viewsSydneyRs

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 00:08 - Sep 20 by ParkRoyalR

For all the rivalry.....from a club that no-one considers to be their rivals.

Bang on. Hands up who stopped caring about Brentford the second they weren't in our division any more. Irrelevant other than when we play them. Admire the way they're run (same with Brighton, Luton and others) but rivals? No way.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 07:22 - Sep 20 with 846 viewsQPR_Jim

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 04:17 - Sep 20 by SydneyRs

Bang on. Hands up who stopped caring about Brentford the second they weren't in our division any more. Irrelevant other than when we play them. Admire the way they're run (same with Brighton, Luton and others) but rivals? No way.

I'm always super excited to find out what Mr Benham has said on the subject of stadiums though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024