Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Consequences 15:15 - May 18 with 1953 viewsChesham_Saint

Will there be any penalties for last night’s frolics on the pitch? Is it a pretty standard thing or was it unusual?

As for bating the West Brom fans, it was mainly posturing and hand bags from what I could see, yet many seem to he having the vapours about it.

Thoughts?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Consequences on 15:27 - May 18 with 1912 viewsSouthamptonfan

Everybody was hyped up, many fans full of alcohol in the build up to the game, it was a massive game, lots of adrenaline and some fans couldn't hold it in. The pitch invasion occurred through pure ecstasy and emotion. The fans who goaded the West Brom fans were idiots, but what can they do, ban six thousand fans? Perhaps take action against those few fans throwing missiles and being violent. The club might get fined for failing to control its fans but I think, apart from that, just let it go and put it down to a very emotionally charged night.

Apart from a very small minority, our fans were incredible last night and was great to see such passion from our supporters. I wouldn't want to discourage it.
[Post edited 18 May 15:32]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Consequences on 15:38 - May 18 with 1876 viewsBLEEDRED

Idiots, don't they realize that Plod are at this very moment going through lots of footage of the disorder, and in a few days we will have the top 10 most wanted on the Echo website.
Consequences on 15:47 - May 18 with 1857 viewsSouthamptonfan

Consequences on 15:38 - May 18 by BLEEDRED

Idiots, don't they realize that Plod are at this very moment going through lots of footage of the disorder, and in a few days we will have the top 10 most wanted on the Echo website.

Personally, I think they would be better spending their time fighting knife crime, gun crime and crimes that results in loss of life, rather than worrying about a few alcohol fueled, over excited fans who entered the pitch after an emotional night. The fans who went over to the West Brom support were idiots, but that's the human race for you. The police and stewards should have already put lines of security 5 metres in front of the away end in my opinion and completely blocked the area off.

Perhaps the club and the police should have lined the pitch with security shoulder to shoulder, if they wanted to prevent the pitch invasion.

Consequences on 16:09 - May 18 with 1801 viewsCity_boy

Totally unnecessary for fans (mainly young kids from pictures I have seen) to run towards away fans. I thought the West Brom fans were a credit to their club and ones I met were gracious in defeat. Whilst a great win, the pitch invasion was a bit premature, given that we still have to win at Wembley. I think a few had had too many Smirnoff Ice's ( or Hooch - can you still get that ? ). !
[Post edited 18 May 16:09]
Consequences on 16:15 - May 18 with 1787 viewsBLEEDRED

Consequences on 15:47 - May 18 by Southamptonfan

Personally, I think they would be better spending their time fighting knife crime, gun crime and crimes that results in loss of life, rather than worrying about a few alcohol fueled, over excited fans who entered the pitch after an emotional night. The fans who went over to the West Brom support were idiots, but that's the human race for you. The police and stewards should have already put lines of security 5 metres in front of the away end in my opinion and completely blocked the area off.

Perhaps the club and the police should have lined the pitch with security shoulder to shoulder, if they wanted to prevent the pitch invasion.

100% agree, but as we know that's not how the anti football lot work. From the Itchen North it looked more jumping up and down, look at me, a few objects got thrown.
The club were very slow and should have had a line of stewards on the pitch straight away but didn't seem to have a clue
Consequences on 16:25 - May 18 with 1771 viewsfelly1

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.
The club wants passion and noise, we all want that too.
You can't then expect every single fan to be law abiding and respectful 100%all of the time. Ain't going to happen is it. Booze and young lads is recipe for fun and a bit of chaos.
No one got hurt and yes baiting the West Brom fans lacks class after we've just won the game but worst things are going on out in the world that the cops should be focused on.
Consequences on 16:44 - May 18 with 1729 viewsSouthamptonfan

Consequences on 16:25 - May 18 by felly1

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.
The club wants passion and noise, we all want that too.
You can't then expect every single fan to be law abiding and respectful 100%all of the time. Ain't going to happen is it. Booze and young lads is recipe for fun and a bit of chaos.
No one got hurt and yes baiting the West Brom fans lacks class after we've just won the game but worst things are going on out in the world that the cops should be focused on.

That's how I see it. As long as nobody gets hurt, football stadiums should be a place to let off steam, forget life and enjoy yourself. Our fans were passionate and loud and the euthoria spilled onto the pitch and a few idiots went over to the away fans. No big deal for me either.

Consequences on 17:17 - May 18 with 1655 viewssolent_toffee

I love a good pitch invasion. The issue last night, from the footage I’ve seen, was that the stewards did less than nothing. There was plenty of injury time for them to sort themselves out and get in front of the West Brom fans en masse, leaving the rest of the pitch for a free for all.

Saints will get a fine and a slap on the wrist at best.
Login to get fewer ads

Consequences on 17:29 - May 18 with 1632 viewssaint22

Consequences on 17:17 - May 18 by solent_toffee

I love a good pitch invasion. The issue last night, from the footage I’ve seen, was that the stewards did less than nothing. There was plenty of injury time for them to sort themselves out and get in front of the West Brom fans en masse, leaving the rest of the pitch for a free for all.

Saints will get a fine and a slap on the wrist at best.

The stewards were less than useless
And a distinct lack of plod too
All about of lively banter at the end of a long season in a meaningful game
Although some of those tools are old enough r know better, you do wonder what any 40+ year old male life is like if that’s how they enjoy themselves
Consequences on 19:53 - May 18 with 1437 viewsDENZY

We all moaned when Derby did it to us back in 2007. We are quite rightly getting slated for it.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

Consequences on 20:46 - May 18 with 1396 views1885_SFC

Pah. Highbury '84. Now that was a pitch invasion.

Old School is Cool

Consequences on 20:53 - May 18 with 1377 viewsChesham_Saint

Consequences on 20:46 - May 18 by 1885_SFC

Pah. Highbury '84. Now that was a pitch invasion.

Heh-heh. Yes it was indeed. Two of the corner flags on our coach on the way home…!

Consequences on 22:42 - May 18 with 1249 viewsdarthvader

Bit more than handbags and posturing . One of those stools thrown from a saints fan at the front of block 43 hit a female steward on the head a kid of about 12 threw a full bottle of something into the wba crowd , the wall/barrier collapsed infront of the away fans when they were trying to get to each other so if no one was hurt, its lucky ..

The fans up to the final whistle were at our very best, passionate and the whole ground was up for it . The club had been calling for it almost winding up us fans for a couple of weeks ,we delivered as did the players.

Alcohol played its part , late kick off on a friday many of them on the p!ss
from 11am.
Some found it difficult to hold back ot switch off at the final whistle

It put a downer on it a bit, up to that point we were class
[Post edited 18 May 22:45]

keep the faith coyr

Consequences on 23:07 - May 18 with 1202 viewsChesham_Saint

Consequences on 22:42 - May 18 by darthvader

Bit more than handbags and posturing . One of those stools thrown from a saints fan at the front of block 43 hit a female steward on the head a kid of about 12 threw a full bottle of something into the wba crowd , the wall/barrier collapsed infront of the away fans when they were trying to get to each other so if no one was hurt, its lucky ..

The fans up to the final whistle were at our very best, passionate and the whole ground was up for it . The club had been calling for it almost winding up us fans for a couple of weeks ,we delivered as did the players.

Alcohol played its part , late kick off on a friday many of them on the p!ss
from 11am.
Some found it difficult to hold back ot switch off at the final whistle

It put a downer on it a bit, up to that point we were class
[Post edited 18 May 22:45]

Didn’t see those injuries and that’s a real shame for them - hopefully nothing too serious and lucky not worse.

I’d summarise, as yes, pitch invasion understandable with such a massively hyped up crowd. Goading the West Brom (who seem a decent lot) plain unnecessary and stupid.

Consequences on 09:45 - May 19 with 1003 viewsSonicBoom

I guess for us old enough to remember the 80's it does seem a fuss about nothing.
Some west brom fan on twitter was complaining we 'goaded' them, dear god so what, that's what fans do.
I dont understand how the club did not take better steps to deal with it.
I for one knew people would be on the pitch and judging by the messages on the screens so did they. I would have thought they could have at least cordoned off the away corner.

But even then it was nothing, mostly high spirits whilst filming each other for Instagram. Are we at the stage where 'goading' is too far?
Luckily we have moved on from the 80's or that would have been really nasty.
But in reality, not much happened did it. Let's not sanitise the game completely.
Consequences on 10:35 - May 19 with 958 viewsBLEEDRED

Highbury 84 was something else, cops scared stiff, fans climbing up drainpipes to get at those in the upper stands

If you look at the footage of the WBA game it involved very few fans 50 maybe 100 at most (of course not acceptable). The club stewards and the so-called private security firm were clueless, so simple to form a barrier between fans at end of games, but Saints did nothing until it was too late
[Post edited 19 May 12:26]
Consequences on 11:13 - May 19 with 908 viewsyateleysaint

Consequences on 19:53 - May 18 by DENZY

We all moaned when Derby did it to us back in 2007. We are quite rightly getting slated for it.

I agree.

It pissed me off at the time when the Derby fans did it and I thought Saints fans showed class by not reacting at the time.

I guess our standards have slipped if we’re now invading the pitch to celebrate a play-off semi-final victory when we still have the most important game to go.

THB looked a bit bemused by it all.

It’ll mean nothing if we go and lose to Leeds next Sunday.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Consequences on 11:14 - May 19 with 899 viewsyateleysaint

I hope they all get identified and banned ASAP so bandwagon jumpers like me have more chance of getting a ticket.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Consequences on 15:49 - May 19 with 759 viewsDorsetIan

I was disappointed that the tickets went on sale on Sat morning. Couldn’t see how they could have excluded the pitch invaders from Wembley tickets by then.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Consequences on 16:46 - May 19 with 704 viewsTimSaint

Anyone go to the Alan Knight testimonial ?
That was a far worse pitch invasion :-)

TimSaint

Consequences on 17:29 - May 19 with 671 viewskentsouthampton

They are going to look like proper mongs if we don't win the play off final.
Consequences on 22:10 - May 19 with 531 viewsericofarabia

Consequences on 17:29 - May 19 by kentsouthampton

They are going to look like proper mongs if we don't win the play off final.

The club certainly and quite rightly will get a financial slap on the wrist, but it could be even worse if they decide that the club completely failed to take sufficient measures to prevent the pitch invasion and the subsequent potentially dangerous confrontation in the away corner.
At Leeds for the final game against us and the play offs they had stewards all around the perimeter walls.
The total lack of effort or positioning can only be because of lack of preparation and training as to what they should have doing to stop the situation escalating. At first it was only a few people on the pitch, but the only person I saw doing anything about it was Janny B! Once everybody saw nothing was being done everybody piled on. Luckily as far as I am aware no wba players were hassled but it only needs one idiot to swing a fist or kick 😟
The infrequent and limp wristed tannoy messages were a disgrace. Too scared to upset somebody by raising your voice and issuing a stern instruction to vacate the pitch or face arrest?
Consequences on 22:13 - May 19 with 531 viewsSFC_Referee

Consequences on 11:14 - May 19 by yateleysaint

I hope they all get identified and banned ASAP so bandwagon jumpers like me have more chance of getting a ticket.

For anyone who’s bought more then like 4 tickets this season, I’d be quite surprised if anyone misses out on tickets for the playoff final, so I wouldn’t get too worried

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

Consequences on 22:21 - May 19 with 524 viewshedgeend61

Consequences on 11:13 - May 19 by yateleysaint

I agree.

It pissed me off at the time when the Derby fans did it and I thought Saints fans showed class by not reacting at the time.

I guess our standards have slipped if we’re now invading the pitch to celebrate a play-off semi-final victory when we still have the most important game to go.

THB looked a bit bemused by it all.

It’ll mean nothing if we go and lose to Leeds next Sunday.

Agree with you, invading the pitch after a play-off semi final win lacked class and looked small time. The job is only half done, no wonder the players looked bemused.
All clubs have their low IQ merchants, you can tell that we have just by reading the dribble of some who post on here.

As for stewards not doing much, you could have had a thousand ringing the whole pitch, but if fans wanted to get on, they still would,.

You would have thought SFC may have made an announcement over the blower or put something on the big screen on 90min (as the game won at 3-0 going in to injury time) to tell the fans to stay in the stands and the players can give the crowd a brief thanks to the fans for their brilliant support on the night. Not a lap of honour thanks, jobs not done quite yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024