Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term 23/24 – Attack 12:45 - May 25 with 7174 viewsNorthernr

Part 4/4 here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62499

Panel discussion that went into the marks available on the patreon...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-term-and-104773691
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 12:55 - May 25 with 4746 viewsslmrstid

Good read across the board.

I think there's a striker in Frey somewhere, he's shown flashes of good movement in the penalty area that he knows where and when to be, that instinct that Dykes seems to lack.

Was a shame it didn't really happen much this year but he's got an excellent track record in Belgium so clearly knows where the goal is, you don't lose that knack. Hopefully he can improve his mobility over the summer with a proper pre-season.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 13:10 - May 25 with 4694 viewspriceyparkrangers

Great read as always. Agree with most although I think Willock was lucky to get away with a C/D. He really should be performing as well as Chair based on ability. I’m hopeful he’s leaving to be honest, best for both parties now IMO - I won’t miss him.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 14:51 - May 25 with 4470 viewsLazyFan

I agree, Armstrong on the Wing is where he should play not as the target man as he cannot hold the ball up well. Although he is getting better at that. We shall see.

zzzzzzzzzz

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 16:51 - May 25 with 4304 viewsstevec

Long thought Sinclairs best hope was watching and learning from the Traore manual, but I have a feeling Marti would go hoarse trying to get any defensive duties out of him.

Aside of Chair and Andersen, if we’re going to move in the right direction, all of these forwards need to be starting on the bench next season.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 16:56 - May 25 with 4313 views1JD

“When Neil Warnock briefly became the short-odds favourite for his Seventeenth Annual Farewell Tour you could almost hear him: “He's a lovely lad Chrissy. I tried to sign him you know, at Boro, and you buggers wouldn't let me have him. But I've got him now and he's a smashing player. I said ‘come on Chrissy lad let’s get us bikes out and go round Richmond Park’. He said ‘gaffer I don't have a bike’. I couldn't believe that, me. Young lad without a bike. This day and age I suppose. Anyway he borrowed our William's and we just set off through t'woods and talked it all through. I've told him I'm going to start every game for me this season regardless.”

This is just superb

Great write ups Clive. Enjoyed them all.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 17:00 - May 25 with 4298 views1JD

On the topic of Armstrong as a winger, you need to able to beat your man with skill, or a drop of the shoulder, at the very least. But he has neither. The idea that you can burn through your opposite number with pace alone has a Sunday league vibe for me.

He’s a striker, just not a very good one. I think you have to play him up up top in a two, to make it work. But it’s rare these days. Or you just consider him a super-sub, like Smyth. Which would be my preference.

But that’s not what his agent thinks, or what he wants in wages. So I half wonder, given the contract situation, if the club transfer list him as a result, shake hands, and reinvest. Wouldn’t be against it
[Post edited 25 May 17:02]
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 17:27 - May 25 with 4195 viewsGaryBannister86

Fantastic work again, Clive, thanks.

I couldn't agree more on the bit about Sinclair where sometimes you think there is a phenomenal talent and sometimes you wonder why you ever thought that.

I keep thinking back to Les early days, and hoping.

I would be loathe to lose him because I just fear there is some sort of chance he could turn into a fantastic player if something clicks. Well, a lot of things.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 23:28 - May 25 with 3719 viewsAntti_Heinola

Echoes my thoughts but with much more eloquence about Chair.
When he goes, people will notice it. I feel like some of our fans adored effing niko krancjar more than Illy, when, really, if you were to design a footballer for your fans to love, he'd be about as close as you could get: came to us young (not quite 'one of our own', but jesus christ, not far off - and he loves this club as much as any fan); skilful, scores amazing goals, doesn't hide, works his balls off, rarely lets us down, great injury record. Seriously, what more do you want?

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 23:41 - May 25 with 3694 viewscolinallcars

Love the Warnock impersonation….
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 23:52 - May 25 with 3691 viewssilky

That Lucas Anderson piece is award winning writing. Echos exactly how I feel about him. Culturally different but gets exactly what QPR is about, a perfect fit that doesn't happen too often.

Thanks for the player reviews, my favourite part!

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 01:54 - May 26 with 3579 viewsngbqpr

Thanks for another season of superlative writing Northern.

Enjoy your well earned break!

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 06:04 - May 26 with 3508 viewskarlski

Brilliant write up.

Think we take Chair for granted. He’s really our most complete, dedicated player. Not perfect but a wonderful representative and servant to the club. Without him we’d be in trouble. Led by example countless times this season. If his career might now be in jeopardy…well it would be utterly tragic for both him and us.

Good shout to bring up Armstrong’s goal contributions being in line with Eze’s at the same age - puts things into perspective. He’s not doing to be the next Eze but personally I’ve seen more than enough to indicate he’s got something that could, with continuous improvement as he matures, he can be an effective striker at this level. Finishes v Bournemouth and Leicester, assists at Cardiff and Blackburn, performance v Ipswich at home all come to mind. I wouldn’t stick him out wide, I think he terrifies centre backs at this level more than anyone else. It was his harrying and presence that led to the ball dropping to Jimmy Dunne for that beauty v Birmingham. Long way to go, but I think he’s a useful (and unique compared to other forwards) tool in our shed.

I’ve loved Dykes’ good moments but I don’t think he’ll ever put them together consistently. I don’t know how to describe it, I think he has credible intentions but his body movements just don’t make them happen at the speed that is needed for a pro footballer at this level. Frey is slow paced but has a striker’s instincts; Dykes is just physically slow in every regard. Of the two id keep Frey not least of all if we can get any cash for Dykes (assuming we’d be bringing in at least one striker).

High hopes for Kolli under Marti.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 07:52 - May 26 with 3379 viewsNorthantsHoop

It's all about Lucas Andersen for me, said to Mrs J that from that first photo when he signed, we have a rockin Danish viking baller in the team and so it proved. Hoping for bigger and brighter things from him next season when LR is going to be a tough place to come for 3 points again.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 09:04 - May 26 with 3248 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

Thanks Clive, I love these player reviews…on top of all of your other cracking writing.

Have a great summer.

I completely agree with all of this. Dykes needs a great euros so we can somehow sneak £1m for him. Get Frey fit to sit on the bench as a late change.

Sinclair is the issue. I just don’t see it with him. Initially I was excited by him like everyone else. But I’ve come to realise that he just isn’t the full ticket, and I also worry that he is being badly advised. Has anyone else noticed that it is now all about him? He plays ten minutes as a late sub then collapses on the ground at final whistle like he’s climbed Everest or there’s that team photo in the dressing room and he’s holding up his shirt to show his name ….and he’s done bugger all that game. I fear he is believing his own hype when really he is utterly useless.

Also I simply don’t understand how a 20 year old pro athlete can be so constantly cramped or injured. Is it because footballers aren’t that shape? Drogba is the only one I can think of.

So here’s my question; would you be sad if he left. I wouldn’t. Our strikers are so so bad I would be delighted if they all left and we had three new random average strikers of varying ages. It would be a journey of discovery and I it is almost impossible for them to be as bad as this years selection!
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 09:41 - May 26 with 3191 viewsBurnleyhoop

Another excellent review and bang on the money as usual.

I was gutted when Eze left, but would be distraught if we lost Illy. He lives and breathes this football club and I have never seen anyone more committed than this lad. How anyone can complain about any aspect of his game is beyond me and to never have won the player of the season award is a travesty.

As for the strikers, their continued involvement at this club hinges on some serious scrutiny during pre-season. All have much to prove and little time to do it. I’m erring on the side of ditching them all, but trust Marti to decide if there is anything there to work on. Not convinced there is.

Still, to sit in the warm glow of what might be next season under the stewardship of our new and improved management structure feels great. More than we could possibly have dreamed of just a few months ago.

Enjoy your break Clive and well done for getting us through another tumultuous season. Quite frankly, you got us all through it. Roll on next season and the return of the dreaded “hope”.

Uuurrrrrssss.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 09:59 - May 26 with 3160 viewsderbyhoop

Strikes me that if Willock's dad/agent manufactures a deal with another club, neither the manager nor the backroom staff will lose too much sleep.
At his best, he's a top Championship player. Other times he's an uncommitted liability.
I'm agnostic, now.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 10:25 - May 26 with 3113 viewsStainrod

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 09:59 - May 26 by derbyhoop

Strikes me that if Willock's dad/agent manufactures a deal with another club, neither the manager nor the backroom staff will lose too much sleep.
At his best, he's a top Championship player. Other times he's an uncommitted liability.
I'm agnostic, now.

Beautifully written and thoughtful as ever.

Need to keep a link to that Chair section to respond to the inevitable “he has no end product” posts next season.

My fear is we will be left wih all three strikers next season as they will prove impossible to shift - why would anyone buy argıuably the worst forward line in the division? (Given our midfield service would have been superior to Rotherham’s I make ours less effective even than theirs).

And given Clive’s comments about two of the Jan deals backloaded into next season, without an Eze dividend will the FFP headroom be sufficient to buy a competent striker? I would be amazed if this savvy regime can’t at least land a striker on loan but after a decade without a decent Championship Number 9 of our own that would only represent limited progress IMHO.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 11:37 - May 26 with 2981 viewsParkRoyalR

Attack wise I'm still not sure I can see a discernible plan in our attacking play and believe like our defence, out attack has to be considered and marked as an attacking unit as a whole,

I have held a different viewpoint throughout this season to many (post Ainsworth's sacking) as always thought these players were more than good enough to stay up, just needed to be played in a formation than best suited them and to start your best XI as often as possible and have a clear plan for your substitutions,

Examples being Willock & Chair always play better when played closer together (rather than 50 metres apart on opposite flanks), unfortunately both are more effective playing on the left but the signing of Andersen offered the opportunity to allow them to play closer together in a 3 and interchange on the left and centre, to good effect,

Armstrong - If there are any sports physiotherapists amongst us they can better explain why I just don't see Sinclair Armstrong being a consistent and effective forward (or winger) in a starting XI at this level. Armstrong's physiology (seems to lack flexibility as too much muscle) is likely reason he gasses so quickly but more so why he has'nt the skill or technique to beat a player and likely why his final touch is always too heavy. A winger he is not, a lone striker he is not, but can be effective as a 2nd striker against tiring defences if played on the last man's shoulder,

Frey - We seemed to be on a decent run when for whatever reason Cifuentes brought Frey back in as a starter and like Stoke away, we yet again nearly gifted 3 points to a fellow relegation candidate in starting Frey versus Birmingham, until Jimmy Dunne stepped up and likely changed course of our season, getting his Manager off the hook. Too many went overboard on Frey after a decent flicked finish most of us do weekly in over 40's 5 aside games. I gave up on Washington after 5 games but will give Frey the benefit of a pre-season, but that's looks a very odd and poorly researched signing so far.

Dykes - In the same way our defensive displays improved immeasurably when we played a settled defence, the same can be said of our attacking play. Dykes strikes me as a lad with imposter syndrome having not grown up coming through academy football. Dykes scoring streaks (short) and barren spells (long) would also suggest he's a confidence player. Starting Frey and Armstrong ahead of me, let alone Dykes, would shatter most players confidence (Jimmy Dunne aside).

I'm hoping Cifuentes learnt from this mistake and the settled attack in the run-in was'nt down to Frey just fortunately being unavailable. Also saw signs that Cifuentes was adopting a similar approach to Warburton in our run-in with Dykes being used to pull centre-halves out of position to create space for the 10's (Chair's goal at Coventry being a good example) and the game Anderson ran to Dykes to congratulate him for his near-post run to create space behind for Chair to finish when attacking the penalty spot,

Going into the season with Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman was a massive risk, especially without a fully fit Willock, and fortunately we got away with it. Most obvious area that needs investment in the close season is our attack.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 11:45 - May 26 with 2977 viewsTK1

Really good, all of these End of Term reports.

On Armstrong, everyone is being much too harsh and judgemental of a 20 year-old in his second full pro season for a rubbish team, when he needed a long loan first: four goals and four assists in a relegation battle out of 20 apps is very good. Compare him to Smyth who has had several years as a striker in pro football but is no longer trusted in that role. We've got the best of Smyth, that's it, he's not going to mature at 27 in September. We're nowhere near the best of Sinclair Armstrong.

He's not Clive Allen, Paul Goddard or Kevin Gallen who came through a competitive pro youth system, high natural ability coached properly throughout their teens. He was playing for Cherry Orchard in Dublin as a winger until converted to a striker for RoI at U19 level. He's relatively new to football, certainly to playing as a lone 9 in a bottom six Championship team!

Les Ferdinand signed for QPR at 19. He didn't play for the 1st team until he was 20, was immediately sent on two loans, one for a season, and slowly eased into the QPR team when he was 22. I saw all those early games and the comparison is so valid: LF had power, pace, terrified defences but could only score instinctively too. He missed sitters and scored worldies. He got dog's abuse. Don Howe - who knew a thing about footballers - didn't rate him, wanted to sell him to Millwall for £250k. It took a whole season of G Francis coaching him and Wilkins (and Sinton) mentoring/feeding him to become that player he became. It takes time with players like that.

But whether it's with us or someone else, 23/24-year Sinclair Armstrong will be in with a very good chance of being a big player. The goals and assists were all distinct and high quality. Time will knit them together into one package. When that happens, he's a proper player. Having him here already is the best chance we have of ever signing a striker like that.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 12:35 - May 26 with 2850 views1JD

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 11:45 - May 26 by TK1

Really good, all of these End of Term reports.

On Armstrong, everyone is being much too harsh and judgemental of a 20 year-old in his second full pro season for a rubbish team, when he needed a long loan first: four goals and four assists in a relegation battle out of 20 apps is very good. Compare him to Smyth who has had several years as a striker in pro football but is no longer trusted in that role. We've got the best of Smyth, that's it, he's not going to mature at 27 in September. We're nowhere near the best of Sinclair Armstrong.

He's not Clive Allen, Paul Goddard or Kevin Gallen who came through a competitive pro youth system, high natural ability coached properly throughout their teens. He was playing for Cherry Orchard in Dublin as a winger until converted to a striker for RoI at U19 level. He's relatively new to football, certainly to playing as a lone 9 in a bottom six Championship team!

Les Ferdinand signed for QPR at 19. He didn't play for the 1st team until he was 20, was immediately sent on two loans, one for a season, and slowly eased into the QPR team when he was 22. I saw all those early games and the comparison is so valid: LF had power, pace, terrified defences but could only score instinctively too. He missed sitters and scored worldies. He got dog's abuse. Don Howe - who knew a thing about footballers - didn't rate him, wanted to sell him to Millwall for £250k. It took a whole season of G Francis coaching him and Wilkins (and Sinton) mentoring/feeding him to become that player he became. It takes time with players like that.

But whether it's with us or someone else, 23/24-year Sinclair Armstrong will be in with a very good chance of being a big player. The goals and assists were all distinct and high quality. Time will knit them together into one package. When that happens, he's a proper player. Having him here already is the best chance we have of ever signing a striker like that.

I think it’s a valid argument that a more developed Sinclair Armstrong at 23-24 could be a different player, but for me I think it’s unlikely.

For instance, he scores a high 9/10 on athletic attributes - pace, power, strength. But a low 4/10 on technical footballing attributes like touch, technique, skill.

In my opinion, he needs to get those core attributes up to 7/10 minimum to make it as a starting striker this level (not a super-sub nuisance), and I just don’t see him doing that. I think it’s too big a jump for him.

He reminds me of Osman Kakay in that sense. Ozzie also had pace, strength, athleticism. But lacked the technique, touch, and skill. And he never was able to develop these characteristics to the level required because he was coming from too low a base to begin with.

That said, more than happy to have him continue with us and see if he can step up - the upside is significant if so, but it needs to be on a wage that works for the club, bearing in mind he is still very much a development project.

With only 1 year left on his deal, the club have a decision to make and so does he.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 12:39 - May 26 with 2840 viewssilverbirch

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 23:28 - May 25 by Antti_Heinola

Echoes my thoughts but with much more eloquence about Chair.
When he goes, people will notice it. I feel like some of our fans adored effing niko krancjar more than Illy, when, really, if you were to design a footballer for your fans to love, he'd be about as close as you could get: came to us young (not quite 'one of our own', but jesus christ, not far off - and he loves this club as much as any fan); skilful, scores amazing goals, doesn't hide, works his balls off, rarely lets us down, great injury record. Seriously, what more do you want?

Exactly right.
And on the impending court case, imo it would be wrong to drop him before before a guilty verdict. And once someone if found guilty, does their time/pays their fine, should you shun them or help them get their life back on track, by giving them honest employment.?
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 13:23 - May 26 with 2755 viewsLanhoop

Great summary of the attack, I wouldn't quibble with any of it.

Thought you might mention the absolute elation from Andersen when he finally scored. The youtube clip (@35 seconds in or so) only hints at it.

[Post edited 26 May 13:46]
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 13:57 - May 26 with 2703 viewsnix

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 12:35 - May 26 by 1JD

I think it’s a valid argument that a more developed Sinclair Armstrong at 23-24 could be a different player, but for me I think it’s unlikely.

For instance, he scores a high 9/10 on athletic attributes - pace, power, strength. But a low 4/10 on technical footballing attributes like touch, technique, skill.

In my opinion, he needs to get those core attributes up to 7/10 minimum to make it as a starting striker this level (not a super-sub nuisance), and I just don’t see him doing that. I think it’s too big a jump for him.

He reminds me of Osman Kakay in that sense. Ozzie also had pace, strength, athleticism. But lacked the technique, touch, and skill. And he never was able to develop these characteristics to the level required because he was coming from too low a base to begin with.

That said, more than happy to have him continue with us and see if he can step up - the upside is significant if so, but it needs to be on a wage that works for the club, bearing in mind he is still very much a development project.

With only 1 year left on his deal, the club have a decision to make and so does he.

This is the thing. We've already devoted a lot of time and coaching efforts into Armstrong. He keeps only signing for the minimum time which I find a bit annoying for a player who's far from the finished product. He gets a decent amount of game time as well. If he was prepared to sign for another three years for a reasonable wage, then okay. He'd still be only 23 at the end of it. But if he refuses to do that then maybe we should just be looking elsewhere.

I like him personally and his youthful enthusiasm. On the pitch he also seems to be putting in a shift most of the time.

But unless he's going to commit to us, is he really going to offer that much in the next year when he'll be playing 'within himself' to avoid injury while looking for his next club.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 14:24 - May 26 with 2659 viewsPhilmyRs

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 12:35 - May 26 by 1JD

I don’t think Kakay’s a good comparison. Kakay is not athletic and has never been quick. Armstrong’s pace is as quick as I’ve seen. There is a major difference between the 2 in terms of natural physical attributes. I think he’s worth persevering with and agree with the view that he should have had a decent loan away from us by now. I still think there’s something we can tap into and develop with Sinclair but something needs to happen soon.
End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 14:47 - May 26 with 2643 views1JD

End of Term 23/24 – Attack on 14:24 - May 26 by PhilmyRs

I don’t think Kakay’s a good comparison. Kakay is not athletic and has never been quick. Armstrong’s pace is as quick as I’ve seen. There is a major difference between the 2 in terms of natural physical attributes. I think he’s worth persevering with and agree with the view that he should have had a decent loan away from us by now. I still think there’s something we can tap into and develop with Sinclair but something needs to happen soon.

Kakay did have a good turn of pace, he was rarely beaten for speed. But nowhere near as fast as Sinclair of course. He was strong, physical, a good speed. All physical characteristics.

And not a direct comparison, no. More so, the physical / athletic nature of Kakay significantly outweighed his technical characteristics and natural footballing talent. Not too dissimilar for Armstrong for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024