Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly Sick of It 21:55 - Sep 17 with 25982 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our club competes for three competitions every year.
We toss off two of them.

In doing so, we disrespect those two competitions, our opponents, and ourselves.

I will never, never understand it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Utterly Sick of It on 23:22 - Sep 17 with 1767 viewsToast_R

We always do this and then lose the next game anyway. Like Groundhog day.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:24 - Sep 17 with 1752 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:21 - Sep 17 by A40Bosh

No the team would have been stronger and you are right.

Proving that 3 points in the league is their priority over a cup run unfortunately.

Best win Saturday then hadn't we? Because when McClaren and Warburton did the same thing we got beat the next league match by might Swansea and Blackburn. And what difference did it make to our final league placing? None.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:25 - Sep 17 with 1735 viewsrbee

Were Palace playing in third gear? They were time wasting at the end. The game could easily have gone to penalties and we could of won.

Palace really wanted to win the game as shown with their starting eleven.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:27 - Sep 17 with 1723 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:25 - Sep 17 by rbee

Were Palace playing in third gear? They were time wasting at the end. The game could easily have gone to penalties and we could of won.

Palace really wanted to win the game as shown with their starting eleven.

Equaliser provoked them into upping it half a gear, and they scored immediately.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:28 - Sep 17 with 1702 viewsNed_Kennedys

The manager picked a weakened team as it was ‘only’ a cup game and we therefore missed a good opportunity to win a game against a strong opponent who never had to get into top gear against the side we put out.

Nardi for Walsh
Dunne for Field
Field for EDB
Dembele for Madsen
Madsen for Saito
Frey for Celar (can’t have been injured if on bench)

I know for some Cifuentes can do no wrong but that was tossed off tonight.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:31 - Sep 17 with 1658 viewssaxbend

Utterly Sick of It on 23:21 - Sep 17 by A40Bosh

No the team would have been stronger and you are right.

Proving that 3 points in the league is their priority over a cup run unfortunately.

I'm not convinced that had we 3 league games instead this week, and the same injury situation, we wouldn't have made similar changes tonight. And even if we had played with the same lineup twice, there would have been an even bigger number of changes for the weekend game, not counting any forced by injuries or suspensions occuring in the midweek game.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:31 - Sep 17 with 1660 viewsMyke

I get your frustration, Brian, and we have certainly sacked off cup games in the past, only to lose the next league game anyway. But to be fair, I don't think Marti is guilty of that tonight. Certainly didn't start with his strongest 11, given that Nardi, Dembele, and Frey were benched and Colback not involved at all . But given the injuries to Clark Slater and Chair and what we went through last season, I feel there is some justification for his team selection. It's not like he played a Development Team. I think giving game time to Walsh, Varane (who was good tonight I felt) and Celar (who wasn't) is really important to add depth to the squad, which is still wafer thin when you remove a couple of established starters.
Also, to be honest, once the Man City's, Liverpool's and Arsenal's eventually decide to grace us with their presence, we are not going to win the cup. The romance of '67 will never be repeated in my lifetime. It has been mentioned many times before, but if the Premier League clubs who are involved in Europe were debarred from the tournament completely, it would make for a much more even and interesting contest and would be well worth really 'going' for.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:34 - Sep 17 with 1624 viewsA40Bosh

Utterly Sick of It on 23:27 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Equaliser provoked them into upping it half a gear, and they scored immediately.

Which makes me think had we played a full strength team and been less passive from the start that they would have simply realised earlier that they were in a real game and had to get into higher gear - with the same result. We will never know unless we try.

I felt at times Eze was easing up and playing at a very relaxed pace, even for him.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Utterly Sick of It on 23:37 - Sep 17 with 1586 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:34 - Sep 17 by A40Bosh

Which makes me think had we played a full strength team and been less passive from the start that they would have simply realised earlier that they were in a real game and had to get into higher gear - with the same result. We will never know unless we try.

I felt at times Eze was easing up and playing at a very relaxed pace, even for him.

Quite. God forbid an actual cup tie break out and tire everybody out.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:38 - Sep 17 with 1561 viewsrbee

I am guessing that a lot of things go on behind the scenes before tonight's game. As you say Brian we have a recent history of not giving our all in cup competitions.

Bearing that in mind is it a club decision rather than the sole managers decision? Do we balance the possibility of a money earning cup run against the wear and tear on the playing squad?

I am guessing that Ben Williams, who is still showing as a club employee, and his team have a large say in that and would have influenced tonight’s team selection.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:41 - Sep 17 with 1536 viewsrbee

Scored with a little luck but the game was still far from over. A risky strategy if it was the case.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:41 - Sep 17 with 1526 viewsFredManRave

If we want 16th place, then we're going to have to make sacrifices.

And imagine if we were to ever get promoted to the land of hope and gory, we'd be playing the development squad in both cup games.

Overall though I don't think today's team selection and subsequent performance on the pitch, warrants such a strong negative reaction, imo.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Utterly Sick of It on 23:42 - Sep 17 with 1518 viewsWatfordR

Utterly Sick of It on 23:31 - Sep 17 by Myke

I get your frustration, Brian, and we have certainly sacked off cup games in the past, only to lose the next league game anyway. But to be fair, I don't think Marti is guilty of that tonight. Certainly didn't start with his strongest 11, given that Nardi, Dembele, and Frey were benched and Colback not involved at all . But given the injuries to Clark Slater and Chair and what we went through last season, I feel there is some justification for his team selection. It's not like he played a Development Team. I think giving game time to Walsh, Varane (who was good tonight I felt) and Celar (who wasn't) is really important to add depth to the squad, which is still wafer thin when you remove a couple of established starters.
Also, to be honest, once the Man City's, Liverpool's and Arsenal's eventually decide to grace us with their presence, we are not going to win the cup. The romance of '67 will never be repeated in my lifetime. It has been mentioned many times before, but if the Premier League clubs who are involved in Europe were debarred from the tournament completely, it would make for a much more even and interesting contest and would be well worth really 'going' for.

I think that's broadly how I see it. The big teams generally couldn't care less about this competition, but one of them will still win it.

I'm not sure the teams in Europe would be the slightest bit bothered if they were removed from the competition, and it would probably be the best thing that could happen for it.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:43 - Sep 17 with 1494 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:41 - Sep 17 by rbee

Scored with a little luck but the game was still far from over. A risky strategy if it was the case.

They give almost as little sht about this competition as we do.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:44 - Sep 17 with 1481 viewsHAYESBOY

Can understand playing Celar for 90 as we have two first team strikers.
I can also understand resting a centre half as we have 3 out at the moment. I would have rested Cook personally.
The rest is up for debate. Me personally, I have no problem with giving minutes to Varane and Saito as they should be pushing for a starting place anyway.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Utterly Sick of It on 23:47 - Sep 17 with 1454 viewsAntti_Heinola

hmm...

thought they were in first gear first half, they thought they had it won, but then they struggled a fair bit second half. They only scored through a deflection, it was very fortunate, and they offered little else against a very makeshift back 4 and a reserve goalie.

Bare bones.

Utterly Sick of It on 23:49 - Sep 17 with 1440 viewsted_hendrix

Cup run = cash, much needed cash.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Utterly Sick of It on 23:49 - Sep 17 with 1431 viewsrbee

Utterly Sick of It on 23:43 - Sep 17 by Northernr

They give almost as little sht about this competition as we do.

So why did they play such a strong team tonight? They have Man Utd at home on Saturday, a game they must consider winnable.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:53 - Sep 17 with 1380 viewsWatfordR

Utterly Sick of It on 23:47 - Sep 17 by Antti_Heinola

hmm...

thought they were in first gear first half, they thought they had it won, but then they struggled a fair bit second half. They only scored through a deflection, it was very fortunate, and they offered little else against a very makeshift back 4 and a reserve goalie.

Got to say I felt there was complacency in their play all night, and I never felt we were out of it until the last few minutes. Yeah it felt like a chance missed, but as already said, it just feels like you are playing for the right to be absolutely torn a new one by one of the big boys, and I'm not sure I find that terribly tasteful either.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:55 - Sep 17 with 1364 viewsNorthernr

hmm...

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Utterly Sick of It on 23:57 - Sep 17 with 1333 viewsmart_Goblin

hmm...

Would tend to agree with this .

All a little OTT this thread isn’t it? I mean I get it and it’s frustrating and switching the team around has its pluses and most definitely minus’, and we all hate losing etc etc .

But we have injuries and limited sized squad .
If we lose tonight with a full strength team and get more injuries to key positions for Saturday then all the same people are bleating about not resting people, giving others a try etc …..it’s all ifs buts and maybes.

More minutes for Varane and Saito who by and large did pretty well . More for Madsen and Celar too who struggled a little but it will help them in the long run. Ashby made a few errors looked confident and competent .

I just don’t think it’s all about tonight and a cup run. MC is looking at the bigger picture and we have to trust that even if we don’t win Saturday .
Utterly Sick of It on 00:06 - Sep 18 with 1274 viewscaptainmycaptian

Got to agree they were for the taking tonight. Just think what a victory over a Premier team would do for morale..I enjoyed it tonight haven't been to a cup game in years. We now be watching to see who palace get in next round. Shame I always enjoyed a decent cup.run. should have played frey. They got lucky with that deflection and Alfie should have scored his chance.

Also would.have preferred a.win tonight than Saturday . I know we need points and yes we.could.get a big club and get smashed but as a.fan cup.runs are great to follow.
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:59]
Utterly Sick of It on 00:10 - Sep 18 with 1246 viewskensalriser

Utterly Sick of It on 23:55 - Sep 17 by Northernr

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Generally I'm on the other side of the argument for this one, but the standing off does my nut in (also applies to league games). They're just blokes playing football, they don't have exploding pagers in their shorts.

As for the passive, casual, tepid stuff, well, we've been doing that every game this season at least for part if not all of it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Utterly Sick of It on 00:12 - Sep 18 with 1234 viewsenfieldargh

I think a few of our midfielders(not Varane) should have been charged admission to the ground such was their casual half arsed approach in the first half. Lots of ball watching standing around letting Palace players do what they want.

Think it was 27 minutes before we got even close to their goal.

2nd half much better taking off EDB made a difference, that lads confidence looks totally shot which is such a shame as I’m sure there is a cultured ball player in there.

Like last season an unlucky deflection cost us progression to the next round. Same same but different

There’s always the FA cup in a few months

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Utterly Sick of It on 00:14 - Sep 18 with 1215 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 00:12 - Sep 18 by enfieldargh

I think a few of our midfielders(not Varane) should have been charged admission to the ground such was their casual half arsed approach in the first half. Lots of ball watching standing around letting Palace players do what they want.

Think it was 27 minutes before we got even close to their goal.

2nd half much better taking off EDB made a difference, that lads confidence looks totally shot which is such a shame as I’m sure there is a cultured ball player in there.

Like last season an unlucky deflection cost us progression to the next round. Same same but different

There’s always the FA cup in a few months

Yeh I'd be interested to know what's gone on with EDB because you compare the confident, forward thinking, progressive boy that played at Coventry last day of last season to whatever the hell that was tonight and it's stark.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024