Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A couple of points 22:02 - May 23 with 6704 viewsSonofNorfolt

My criticism of Warnock is based on a lot of information that I have gleaned from various contacts that I'm not prepared to reveal or divulge further details on. You have to trust me. I've nothing to gain from this.

As for Mackie, I knew that little comment would trigger responses from his followers. I don't dislike him at all, but he is a very limited player, and he hasn't got any tricks.
Does he ever drop his shoulder? Try a step over? Kick the ball with his left?
No, it's head down no nonsense mindless boogie run into the full back and see what happens. Some games he was dreadful, yet this seems to be brushed over because he tries hard and scored two important goals, one thanks to Luis Enrique's abherration and the other mainly down to brilliant work by Traore.
He shows massive heart yet I fear that will not be enough next season.

This is my opinion, and if you don't like it I won't lose any sleep.
A couple of points on 09:12 - May 24 with 1224 viewsJonDoeman

"My criticism of Warnock is based on a lot of information that I have gleaned from various contacts that I'm not prepared to reveal or divulge further details on. You have to trust me. I've nothing to gain from this. "
==============================================================
This reminds me of WATRBs.
BTW I also know something you don't know, & I'm also not telling!

It Is What It Is !!

A couple of points on 09:15 - May 24 with 1215 viewsPhilmyRs

Mackie in a 442, I agree. He lacks that bit of guile or quality to make an impression. United at home, JM caused Evra all sorts of problems, but his final ball in was poor. Having said that, play him right side of a three man attack, joining the loan striker from deep and I think he becomes a different player. His deficiencies are a lot less obvious and his commitment and constant harrying are real plus points.

Regarding the one trick pony comment, thought his goal at home to Swansea demonstrated he can drop the shoulder, good first touch and took it well.

There are better players than JM, but I’ve not seen one as honest or committed. Successful teams, especially the ones fighting for survival rely on team spirit and workrate, not individuals that can turn it on when they want and sulk when it’s not going for them. For every Adel, you need a Jamie.

I confess I didn’t think JM was good enough, but over the season I’ve realised what a difference ‘fighting for that inch’ makes. Jaime Mackie does that every time he steps on the pitch.

PS — I did enjoy the article, and I agree with much of it. A few months ago I would have agreed with the lot, but JM has won me over.
A couple of points on 09:23 - May 24 with 1206 viewsBluce_Ree

A couple of points on 08:19 - May 24 by Writtler

Not alone - for Mackie read Wardley - will get found out next season

Stuart Wardley was king!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

A couple of points on 10:03 - May 24 with 1174 viewssexton

It's all about having a blend. A team of Adels would never work neither would a team of Jamies. Put one of each on the pitch and you've got something.
A couple of points on 12:03 - May 24 with 1140 viewsNorthernr

Mel you're right about many things, but you're not right about Mackie. Hughes doesn't think so, he's picking him and extending his contract. A big chunk of our supporters don't agree having voted him runner up in POTY. And David Moyes and Tony Pulis don't think so either, as both have tried to buy him in the last six months.
A couple of points on 12:09 - May 24 with 1131 viewsSuperhoops2808

A couple of points on 12:03 - May 24 by Northernr

Mel you're right about many things, but you're not right about Mackie. Hughes doesn't think so, he's picking him and extending his contract. A big chunk of our supporters don't agree having voted him runner up in POTY. And David Moyes and Tony Pulis don't think so either, as both have tried to buy him in the last six months.

So did Allardyce... Thank god he didnt go there in the January chaos

As for this business regarding Warnock.... He has gone, MH is in charge, and there have been several comments since he went. Can it not just be left alone? I thought your column was a good read too but did annoy me that the sly dig had to be slipped in again
A couple of points on 12:49 - May 24 with 1089 viewsGloryHunter

I haven't been able to take Mel seriously since his outspoken rant about Amanda Knox being guilty of the Perugia murder. Maybe he had some secret information from contacts that he couldn't reveal in relation to that one, too.
A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 with 1081 viewscheeseydane

A couple of points on 00:01 - May 24 by Bluce_Ree

I don't get it.

Is this thread a response to another thread?

Mackie's good and if you don't like Warnock that's cool but if you're not prepared to say why, don't bother starting a thread. It makes no sense.

Thank god, i thought it was just me.

Read the whole thread and am still none the wiser.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Login to get fewer ads

A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 with 1081 viewsWestbourneR

So the Wardley comparison has caught on then.

I've said what i've said about Mackie many a time now. He had an excellent impact considering his lack of quality but if we really want to push on then we have to have better than Mackie in our starting eleven.

I guarantee MH will think the same and we won't start the season with Jamie on the pitch.

Saying Mackie is better than Milner or Downing reveals a level of delusion about his ability that I knew was creeping in.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 with 1081 viewsAntti_Heinola

By the end of the season Mackie was pretty much first name on the team sheet. He actually FORCED the manager to pick him. Old school, that. No moaning. No threats. No whining. Just head down and play out of your skin. Started when he came on v Liverpool with the attitude of 'I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm good enough to be here and I'm going to f***ing prove it.' and he never stopped after that. Anyone who can't see how vital he currently is to us is, I'm afraid, blind. No offence to blind people, obv.

Bare bones.

A couple of points on 13:00 - May 24 with 1071 viewsGloryHunter

A couple of points on 00:01 - May 24 by Bluce_Ree

I don't get it.

Is this thread a response to another thread?

Mackie's good and if you don't like Warnock that's cool but if you're not prepared to say why, don't bother starting a thread. It makes no sense.

It's about Mel's LFW guest column. Mel clearly assumes that everyone has read it.
A couple of points on 13:03 - May 24 with 1064 viewsJonDoeman

Thread needs a song!

It Is What It Is !!

A couple of points on 13:05 - May 24 with 1062 viewscheeseydane

A couple of points on 13:00 - May 24 by GloryHunter

It's about Mel's LFW guest column. Mel clearly assumes that everyone has read it.

Ah okeydokey. Cheers.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

A couple of points on 13:17 - May 24 with 1046 viewsJamie

A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 by Antti_Heinola

By the end of the season Mackie was pretty much first name on the team sheet. He actually FORCED the manager to pick him. Old school, that. No moaning. No threats. No whining. Just head down and play out of your skin. Started when he came on v Liverpool with the attitude of 'I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm good enough to be here and I'm going to f***ing prove it.' and he never stopped after that. Anyone who can't see how vital he currently is to us is, I'm afraid, blind. No offence to blind people, obv.

A couple of points on 13:32 - May 24 with 1024 viewsSonofNorfolt

& the Queen is a slag as well!

Re: POTY. Helguson got my vote, remember him? Much as I was pleased for Hill, who deserved a lot of credit last season too.

Mackie I think works quite well as an impact sub, but is laughably bad sometimes when in from the off.

Ask yourself this with the current squad fully fit, would he make your starting XI?

Reply by all means but don't make it personal unless you know me.
I'm not hard to find, and won't hide behind a computer, and don't dare compare my comments to any from 'Fantasy Island'.

My book is still available
A couple of points on 13:38 - May 24 with 973 viewsCharlie1

A think a few people would tone down their comments if they were in the pub!

I enjoyed the article Mel, thought it was bang on the money.

Think you're being harsh on Mackie. He HAS been a one trick pony and to a certain extent, still is. Anyone who watches the R's play at a ground will see that. But, a mid to lower premiership side does need players with industry, running and effort. Sometimes those skills can make something happen, not just a trick.

Here's the thing though. I think our one trick pony will become a two or three trick pony. We've better coaching, structure etc at the club. Better players so he'll improve. He wants to learn, he trains hard etc. He'll become a better player over the summer and next season. So I honestly believe, he'll be in on merit.
Earlier in the season (and we shared beers over this) I agree, especially under Warnock he was a one trick pony. But he's improving.

Whereas Barton. How many times and chances does he need or want? He knows he'll be targetted against. He doesn't seem to learn. Or have the ability to learn. I'll that basis, I'll have a Mackie over a Barton now.

And for the record, he's been banned for 12 games IMO because of the media and judged on his past. At times this season, he's been superb and I've loved watching him play. Under rated talent. So I agree with all you wrote.

My POTS was Clint Hill (for the record).

2:59 baby!

A couple of points on 13:49 - May 24 with 955 viewsbmouth_rs

A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 by WestbourneR

I've said what i've said about Mackie many a time now. He had an excellent impact considering his lack of quality but if we really want to push on then we have to have better than Mackie in our starting eleven.

I guarantee MH will think the same and we won't start the season with Jamie on the pitch.

Saying Mackie is better than Milner or Downing reveals a level of delusion about his ability that I knew was creeping in.

Well. I must be delusional because I am better than Stewart Downing
A couple of points on 13:57 - May 24 with 941 viewsWestbourneR

Yeah you are cos you're not.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

A couple of points on 14:04 - May 24 with 929 viewsthame_hoops

The peasants are revolting!
A couple of points on 14:08 - May 24 with 931 viewsJonDoeman

A couple of points on 13:32 - May 24 by SonofNorfolt

Re: POTY. Helguson got my vote, remember him? Much as I was pleased for Hill, who deserved a lot of credit last season too.

Mackie I think works quite well as an impact sub, but is laughably bad sometimes when in from the off.

Ask yourself this with the current squad fully fit, would he make your starting XI?

I'm not hard to find, and won't hide behind a computer, and don't dare compare my comments to any from 'Fantasy Island'.

Don't dare compare my comments to any from 'Fantasy Island'.

================================================================
That's what it reminded me off, and that's why I said it.
You'll get over it.

It Is What It Is !!

A couple of points on 14:10 - May 24 with 922 viewsJamie

A couple of points on 13:49 - May 24 by bmouth_rs

Well. I must be delusional because I am better than Stewart Downing

You'd struggle to find many park footballers worse than Downing. A truly awful player.
A couple of points on 14:13 - May 24 with 916 viewsHayesender

A couple of points on 12:55 - May 24 by WestbourneR

What's delusional about saying Mackie is better than Downing?

Mackie 7 goals and 5 assists, in less games than Downing, zero goals and zero assists.

As someone on here says, ATAF

Poll: Shamima Beghum

A couple of points on 14:16 - May 24 with 915 viewsdaveB

so who are you starting in front of Mackie?

As for this Wardley comparission, that is laughable. Mackie has really improved his all round game since Hughes came in and has been playing well for 3 years now for us and Plymouth so nothing like Wardley.
A couple of points on 14:18 - May 24 with 909 viewsJonDoeman

A couple of points on 14:16 - May 24 by daveB

As for this Wardley comparission, that is laughable. Mackie has really improved his all round game since Hughes came in and has been playing well for 3 years now for us and Plymouth so nothing like Wardley.

=========================================
Sh1t Wee Player, he's got a trick.

It Is What It Is !!

A couple of points on 14:24 - May 24 with 898 viewsAntti_Heinola

"Reply by all means but don't make it personal unless you know me.
I'm not hard to find, and won't hide behind a computer, and don't dare compare my comments to any from 'Fantasy Island'."

Hmm. You could do with taking some of your own advice, Mel. Criticise Mackie all you want, but one throwaway line at the end of your article calling him a 'no trick pony' is far worse than anything that's been levelled at you. In my view, you've shown a frankly laughable lack of respect for a man who stood up for this team perhaps more than any other, scored some vital goals, and worked his @rse off to keep us in this league - and all after coming back from a serious injury. Teams HATE playing against Mackie - three games in a row at one stage towards the end of the season the left back was withdrawn incredibly early because of the pounding Mackie gave them and Stoke thought so much of him they detailed Huth to (successfully) check him.

I would never, ever say Mackie is in the same league as Taarabt, who I love, skills-wise. But Mackie gives us something else, which every team needs, and for that I love watching him, too. If you really want respect, try showing some to a player who shows pride in the shirt, his performance and his actions, rather than someone whose utter stupidity and lack of respect for his own team-mates could have had dire consequences.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024