Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Summer thread 10:53 - Jul 7 with 47768 viewsBlackCrowe

Well I'll kick it off. Reckon Lehman's appointment was a masterstroke - it will be much closer as a result of his appointment.

Who's going and when?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Summer thread on 11:08 - Jul 7 with 6366 viewsHooparoo

I can tell you that expectations of ashes success here are low. Very low.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes Summer thread on 11:14 - Jul 7 with 6348 viewstimcocking

To me, we still have the potential to be skittled out for not much ourselves. Although we should be starting as favourites, you know the Aussies aren't exactly going to roll over and give up.

Pretty happy with our bowlers mind you.

I'd agree they have more (well certainly not less) chance because of Lehman.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Ashes Summer thread on 11:18 - Jul 7 with 6343 viewsHooparoo

Lehmann is a great character but we're still shite. England will kill us. Everybody in Oz is expecting the worst.

Ashes Summer thread on 11:23 - Jul 7 with 6336 viewstimcocking

Ashes Summer thread on 11:18 - Jul 7 by Hooparoo

Lehmann is a great character but we're still shite. England will kill us. Everybody in Oz is expecting the worst.

Yes, but England are not always at our best when we're expected to win comfortably.

I certainly hope you're right. Pressure!
Ashes Summer thread on 11:28 - Jul 7 with 6327 viewsHooparoo

Ashes Summer thread on 11:23 - Jul 7 by timcocking

Yes, but England are not always at our best when we're expected to win comfortably.

I certainly hope you're right. Pressure!

Don't get me wrong - any aussie team will always try their best as it's in our DNA. We just aren't very good at the moment as we haven't renewed our team properly. Clarke is a good player but is a big pussy and more style than substance as a captain.

Ashes Summer thread on 11:49 - Jul 7 with 6311 viewsozexile

I think Lehman will give the oz team some bravado but they really haven't got the players. If Clarke goes cheaply they've had it. And as for bowlers Starc can swing the ball well and could take some wickets.
Ashes Summer thread on 12:01 - Jul 7 with 6299 viewstimcocking

Every team can raise a few reasonable batsmen, world class bowlers are a much more valuable asset imo. We definitely have the overall edge in the bowling attack. But, it wouldn't be the first time things haven't gone according to plan for England and Wales. If they can get us under pressure?
Ashes Summer thread on 12:19 - Jul 7 with 6288 viewsQPRDave

Hope we stuff the barbeque boys 5-0.
They will raise their game but a fully focused Peterson added to
a good batting line up already should see us home. Our bowling attack is better
than theirs and should restrict them.
Can't believe how confident I and many others are....dosen't seem that long ago
when they had David Boon, Dean Jones,Steve Waugh batting and Lawson, Alderman
and Merv Hughes bowling and totally dominating us series after series.
Oh how things have changed
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Summer thread on 12:23 - Jul 7 with 6287 viewsqprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 12:19 - Jul 7 by QPRDave

Hope we stuff the barbeque boys 5-0.
They will raise their game but a fully focused Peterson added to
a good batting line up already should see us home. Our bowling attack is better
than theirs and should restrict them.
Can't believe how confident I and many others are....dosen't seem that long ago
when they had David Boon, Dean Jones,Steve Waugh batting and Lawson, Alderman
and Merv Hughes bowling and totally dominating us series after series.
Oh how things have changed

Don't underestimate the Aussie bowlers most of whom are young and hungry. Even Siddle is only 28 and he could bowl all day. England's chances hinge on Pietersen,Cook and Broad if they fire it will be good.

Qprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 12:35 - Jul 7 with 6276 viewsozexile

Ashes Summer thread on 12:23 - Jul 7 by qprmick

Don't underestimate the Aussie bowlers most of whom are young and hungry. Even Siddle is only 28 and he could bowl all day. England's chances hinge on Pietersen,Cook and Broad if they fire it will be good.

I would say Anderson. If he's on form then its goodnight Australia.
Ashes Summer thread on 12:39 - Jul 7 with 6266 viewstimcocking

Ashes Summer thread on 12:35 - Jul 7 by ozexile

I would say Anderson. If he's on form then its goodnight Australia.

And nobodies even mentioned Swanny, Finn, Bresnan all of who are damned good. Matty Prior.
Ashes Summer thread on 13:41 - Jul 7 with 6241 viewscheeseydane

Little worried about the batting line up myself.

Root as opener is a bit of a risk just because of his age. Has had a great start in the middle order but opening is a different ballgame, although he is technically an opener. Sure they will target him.
Cook hasnt had the best 6 months of his career but test matches suit his style better.
Trott, no worries.
Petersen, who knows.
Bell, again not at his best presently but good batsman all the same.
Bairstow, very important first couple of tests for him. Still young so will be interesting how he develops. Again, sure to be targeted.
Prior, no worries.

Still, would much rather our first 7 then theirs by a long way.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Ashes Summer thread on 16:03 - Jul 7 with 6204 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes Summer thread on 13:41 - Jul 7 by cheeseydane

Little worried about the batting line up myself.

Root as opener is a bit of a risk just because of his age. Has had a great start in the middle order but opening is a different ballgame, although he is technically an opener. Sure they will target him.
Cook hasnt had the best 6 months of his career but test matches suit his style better.
Trott, no worries.
Petersen, who knows.
Bell, again not at his best presently but good batsman all the same.
Bairstow, very important first couple of tests for him. Still young so will be interesting how he develops. Again, sure to be targeted.
Prior, no worries.

Still, would much rather our first 7 then theirs by a long way.

Our batting trumps theirs. Cook, Trott, Pietersen all average 50 or as near damn it. Bell and Prior average mid 40s. Clarke is the only one of theirs who would get into our batting lineup.

Anderson, Broad, Finn and Swann (plus Monty if the pitches are dry and likely to turn) will all have too much firepower for them. I'll be disappointed if we don't win by at least 3 matches.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Summer thread on 16:16 - Jul 7 with 6190 viewsjohann28

3-0 England.
For Aus, Clarke is their only player in the top rank.
For us, all the top six will probably make a century at some point (apart from Bell of course), whilst KP is a class above anyone. If you then add to that a very classy bowling attack (apart from Broad, who's a knob), I can't see Eng letting this one go.
Ashes Summer thread on 17:23 - Jul 7 with 6161 viewsQPRDave

They've been f***ed since the demise of Warne, and McGrath
Ashes Summer thread on 17:37 - Jul 7 with 6150 viewsHunterhoop

I just bloody hope we pick Finn and not Bresnan (or Onions). I worry about Cook and Flower with Bresnan. He's seems to get picked an awful lot more than his form, stats or talent should permit.

Finn is much younger, with more of a future, faster, gets more bounce, has a better strike rate AND a better average. It should be a no brained, especially when we play 6 batsman plus Prior, yet it often seems to be a 50/50 call apparently. I can't for the life of me understand why. Bresnan is bowling late 70s up and down county fodder at present. He still can be a good bowler but he's not as good as Finn.

Regarding the series, the selection of Rogers, the appointment of Lehman and the form of their pace attack have all brought a bit of balance to forecasting. I would have said 3 clear Tests. Now I'll go with 3-1, maybe 2-1.

I also would have had Compton over Bairstow and kept Root at 6. Compton has got runs at Test level; Bairstow hasn't really and this season Compton has gone away and got runs whereas Bairstow has barely scored anything all year. PLUS Root is performing in the middle order. Leave him there.
Ashes Summer thread on 17:40 - Jul 7 with 6144 viewsted_hendrix

I still remember Lillie and Thomson smashing our heads in, and some fat bloke with a walrus moustache who's name I forget.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes Summer thread on 17:49 - Jul 7 with 6138 viewstimcocking

Ashes Summer thread on 17:37 - Jul 7 by Hunterhoop

I just bloody hope we pick Finn and not Bresnan (or Onions). I worry about Cook and Flower with Bresnan. He's seems to get picked an awful lot more than his form, stats or talent should permit.

Finn is much younger, with more of a future, faster, gets more bounce, has a better strike rate AND a better average. It should be a no brained, especially when we play 6 batsman plus Prior, yet it often seems to be a 50/50 call apparently. I can't for the life of me understand why. Bresnan is bowling late 70s up and down county fodder at present. He still can be a good bowler but he's not as good as Finn.

Regarding the series, the selection of Rogers, the appointment of Lehman and the form of their pace attack have all brought a bit of balance to forecasting. I would have said 3 clear Tests. Now I'll go with 3-1, maybe 2-1.

I also would have had Compton over Bairstow and kept Root at 6. Compton has got runs at Test level; Bairstow hasn't really and this season Compton has gone away and got runs whereas Bairstow has barely scored anything all year. PLUS Root is performing in the middle order. Leave him there.

Re the England selection, i agree with all of that.
Ashes Summer thread on 18:07 - Jul 7 with 6130 viewscheeseydane

Ashes Summer thread on 17:40 - Jul 7 by ted_hendrix

I still remember Lillie and Thomson smashing our heads in, and some fat bloke with a walrus moustache who's name I forget.

David Boon perchance?

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Ashes Summer thread on 18:27 - Jul 7 with 6115 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes Summer thread on 18:07 - Jul 7 by cheeseydane

David Boon perchance?

No Mr Cheese, the big Aussie bowler proper big fat bastard he was who to be honest I thought was an o.k. bloke, he just liked pitching the ball at the England players heads.
For the life of me I cant remember the bastards name

Ashes Summer thread on 18:29 - Jul 7 with 6108 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes Summer thread on 18:27 - Jul 7 by ted_hendrix

No Mr Cheese, the big Aussie bowler proper big fat bastard he was who to be honest I thought was an o.k. bloke, he just liked pitching the ball at the England players heads.
For the life of me I cant remember the bastards name

Merv Hughes ?
Ashes Summer thread on 18:33 - Jul 7 with 6095 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes Summer thread on 18:29 - Jul 7 by johnhoop

Merv Hughes ?

That's him, that's the bastard.

Ashes Summer thread on 19:12 - Jul 7 with 6074 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes Summer thread on 17:23 - Jul 7 by QPRDave

They've been f***ed since the demise of Warne, and McGrath

...and Gilchrist, Langer, Martyn, Hayden who all near enough retired around the same time. I'd agree with you that they've missed Warne and McGrath slightly more as you need bowlers who are going to get you 20 wickets in a match and those two were once in a lifetime players.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Summer thread on 19:37 - Jul 7 with 6041 viewsQPRDave

Ashes Summer thread on 19:12 - Jul 7 by CamberleyR

...and Gilchrist, Langer, Martyn, Hayden who all near enough retired around the same time. I'd agree with you that they've missed Warne and McGrath slightly more as you need bowlers who are going to get you 20 wickets in a match and those two were once in a lifetime players.

yeah they lost nearly the whole lot at once with nothing new coming through to replace em.
Ashes Summer thread on 19:46 - Jul 7 with 6035 viewsswisscottage

Ashes Summer thread on 19:12 - Jul 7 by CamberleyR

England have four batsmen in the top 15 on current ICC rankings plus Ian Bell at 22, Australia have Clarke at no 5 and then Warner way down at 33. Even Joe Root's ranked higher than their 4th best ranked player.

Again England have four bowlers in the world's top 15 to Australia's two.

If Australia wining one test match would be a surprise to me, but to win the ashes is unthinkable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024