Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Summer thread 10:53 - Jul 7 with 47772 viewsBlackCrowe

Well I'll kick it off. Reckon Lehman's appointment was a masterstroke - it will be much closer as a result of his appointment.

Who's going and when?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Summer thread on 22:42 - Jul 7 with 1444 viewsqprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 19:12 - Jul 7 by CamberleyR

...and Gilchrist, Langer, Martyn, Hayden who all near enough retired around the same time. I'd agree with you that they've missed Warne and McGrath slightly more as you need bowlers who are going to get you 20 wickets in a match and those two were once in a lifetime players.

Hussey is a huge loss as well.

Qprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 08:15 - Jul 8 with 1404 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Summer thread on 19:37 - Jul 7 by QPRDave

yeah they lost nearly the whole lot at once with nothing new coming through to replace em.

Exactly this. Australia dominated world cricket for 15+ years with this squad, and didn't blood new players to learn from and replace the greats. Unbelievably stupid and/or arrogant. Cricket Australia only has itself to blame.

Ashes Summer thread on 11:37 - Jul 8 with 1387 viewsderbyhoop

I'm going (in hospitality) on Thursday. Hospitality closes 30 minutes after close of play. Could they take the extra half hour on Day 2?

England's batting is more fragile than it was in 2010/11 but the bowling is still close to being the best attack in the world (Saffers might dispute that).
Aussie batting is so dependent on Clarke and, the comments from their 2 warm up games against Somerset and Worcestershire, indicated their attack lacked penetration.

I'm expecting a comfortable series win, although the Aussies could have one good test or England one bad one. I'm going for 3-1.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ashes Summer thread on 11:43 - Jul 8 with 1384 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Aussies haven't been the same since Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and Shane Warne all went.

This fella was pretty good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Langer

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Ashes Summer thread on 12:02 - Jul 8 with 1373 viewsqprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 11:43 - Jul 8 by Metallica_Hoop

The Aussies haven't been the same since Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and Shane Warne all went.

This fella was pretty good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Langer

Clarke has had a recurrence of his back injury, he may not play. If he does he may be a passenger.

Qprmick

Ashes Summer thread on 12:10 - Jul 8 with 1367 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:02 - Jul 8 by qprmick

Clarke has had a recurrence of his back injury, he may not play. If he does he may be a passenger.

I just hope we don't relax thinking it will be a doddle.

Remember those guys on the Somme walking towards a 'beaten' enemy after the bombardment kicking footballs and carrying umbrellas?

Our mantra should be "Remember the Russo-Finnish Winter War" (or maybe not)

Ashes Summer thread on 12:11 - Jul 8 with 1363 viewsPhilmyRs

Interested to see how we respond now that we’re down as firm favourites. As good as our bowling attack is, you can always sense a collapse with our batting.

The key difference between the teams, and why I’m more confident than usual heading into an Ashes summer, is because we have Swann. If we can keep him fit for the whole summer, and especially if the weather stay’s as it is (high temperatures) he’ll cause the Aussies all sorts of problems. Throw into the mix their group of left handed bowlers, he’s going to have a nice bit of rough to aim for from the 1st innings onwards. The Aussie’s also have a nice collection of left handed batters which all Off Spinners like bowling at. Not sure how good the kid is they’re trying to fast track to the first team, but it shows how concerned they are about the battle between the spinners.

If Clarke was to breakdown injured, I would predict a hammering. As it is, I think a comfortable 3-1 or 2-1.

Ashes Summer thread on 12:13 - Jul 8 with 1361 viewsdaveB

I think it will be very close, The English are the better side but question marks still over Root and Bairstow in this kind of pressure series, if Anderson fails then I'm not sure we can take 20 wickets and if we get off to a bad start then I can see it going wrong.

Saying that I reckon we'll win it 3-1 but lose over in Aus
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Summer thread on 13:44 - Jul 8 with 1331 viewsElHoop

I think that maybe we are the best bowling side in the world at the moment, well we are when we step up the gas, and we will step it right up for this. I don't see enough depth and experience in the Aussie batting line up to withstand that bowling attack. We might get the odd injury and might have the odd batting collapse or the weather might intervene, any of which could conspire to prevent a whitewash, but I can't imagine too many Aussies staying up all night to watch much of this series. It will be torture for them.
Ashes Summer thread on 22:11 - Jul 8 with 1294 viewsCiderwithRsie

I don't know why so may people seem to think appointing Lehman makes things closer. Sure he's highly rated plus there's "new manager syndrome' but I bet England aren't thinking "Right, let's seal things by sacking the coach just before the first test". Appointing Lehman is an admission that things had got beyond repair under Arthur, so however much they now improve they are starting from a bad place and are stuck with the original squad selection.

When England sacked Moores and Pietersen, Flowers and Strauss turned things around quickly, but not before losing to the West Indies including getting bowled out for 40-odd.

I expect the return series to be a lot tougher, though.
Ashes Summer thread on 22:25 - Jul 8 with 1288 viewsloftboy

Am i the only one who quickly saw the title of this thread and thought it would be about sexy underwear

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Ashes Summer thread on 23:30 - Jul 8 with 1272 viewsRed_Ranger

Lords thurs and fri
Away for oval
Ashes Summer thread on 00:46 - Jul 9 with 1263 viewshopphoops

A little ashes warm-up quiz: who are the following cricketers?

Aussies:
Fruitfly
Afghanistan
Dizzy
Millard
Diamonds

Others:
Whispering death
The King of Spain
Human

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ashes Summer thread on 01:41 - Jul 9 with 1258 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes Summer thread on 00:46 - Jul 9 by hopphoops

Aussies:
Fruitfly
Afghanistan
Dizzy
Millard
Diamonds

Others:
Whispering death
The King of Spain
Human

I just don't see the Aussies winning the series 3-1 a good call as Johnston is always capable of one Test winning performance a series with England capable of one major batting collapse.The bowling though hmm Siddle is their leader of attack and ours is Anderson .Our third choice spinner Tredwell would play for them so surely its gonna be bunsen burners all the way for us.I always like the analogy the great Douglas Jardine used to use if a bus containing both sides 1-7 crashed over a cliff which sides other 4 would win.I know that Root is unproven as a Test opener but surely you can say the same for Rogers.Shane Watson averages less in Test cricket than Stuart Broad and has 2 centuries in 41 Tests.Mind you never know 1989 Aussies werent thought of highly before series and won 4-0 mind John Emburey and Chris Cowdrey captained during that series
Ashes Summer thread on 05:42 - Jul 9 with 1251 viewsjamois

I think everything depends on young Broad. If he can bring balance to the force then all evil shall be vanquished.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Ashes Summer thread on 06:55 - Jul 9 with 1096 viewsElHoop

At least it will be easier to watch it on holiday this year:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/euro-vision-cricket-fans
Ashes Summer thread on 07:46 - Jul 9 with 1087 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Summer thread on 23:30 - Jul 8 by Red_Ranger

Lords thurs and fri
Away for oval

Nice. Coronation Gardens, lunchtime Thurs and Fri - see you there RR. Which stand you in (I'm Allen on Thurs and Mound on Fri)?

Ashes Summer thread on 07:48 - Jul 9 with 1084 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Summer thread on 00:46 - Jul 9 by hopphoops

Aussies:
Fruitfly
Afghanistan
Dizzy
Millard
Diamonds

Others:
Whispering death
The King of Spain
Human

Only know three:

Dizzy - Jason Gillespie
Whispering Death - Michael Holding
King of Spain - Giles

Ashes Summer thread on 08:15 - Jul 9 with 1082 viewstimcocking

Ashes Summer thread on 07:48 - Jul 9 by BlackCrowe

Only know three:

Dizzy - Jason Gillespie
King of Spain - Giles

You forgot to note Giles is a Ranger, always worth reminding.
Ashes Summer thread on 09:26 - Jul 9 with 1072 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 07:48 - Jul 9 by BlackCrowe

Only know three:

Dizzy - Jason Gillespie
King of Spain - Giles

Dunno the others without cheating but Afghanistan is familiar - think that's quite funny but forget who it was.

Here's a few more, one from each test playing nation:

Rawalpindi Express
The Turbanator
Big Bird
Banger
Pigeon
Zulu
Ashes Summer thread on 12:16 - Jul 9 with 1055 viewsDeano19766

Off to Trent Bridge on Friday morning for the weekend. Got a couple of days at Lords next week, the weekend at Old Trafford, all 5 days at Durham, and a couple of days at The Oval. cant wait!

Oh yes, Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne this winter too........

C'mon the England
Ashes Summer thread on 12:18 - Jul 9 with 1050 viewsDeano19766

Ashes Summer thread on 09:26 - Jul 9 by ElHoop

Dunno the others without cheating but Afghanistan is familiar - think that's quite funny but forget who it was.

Here's a few more, one from each test playing nation:

Rawalpindi Express
The Turbanator
Big Bird
Banger
Pigeon
Zulu

Rawalpindi Express - Shoaib Achtar
The Turbanator - Harbajan Singh
Big Bird - Joel Garner
Banger
Pigeon
Zulu
Ashes Summer thread on 12:20 - Jul 9 with 1048 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Was 'Zulu' Alan Lamb?

Ashes Summer thread on 12:23 - Jul 9 with 1045 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes Summer thread on 12:18 - Jul 9 by Deano19766

Rawalpindi Express - Shoaib Achtar
The Turbanator - Harbajan Singh
Big Bird - Joel Garner
Banger
Pigeon
Zulu

Banger is Trescothick
Ashes Summer thread on 12:28 - Jul 9 with 1040 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:20 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Was 'Zulu' Alan Lamb?

No it wasn't Lambie as i think he was known.

Right nationality though. Spoke the language apparently, hence the nickname. Not one of the greats but a very big hitter in his day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024