Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Summer thread 10:53 - Jul 7 with 47773 viewsBlackCrowe

Well I'll kick it off. Reckon Lehman's appointment was a masterstroke - it will be much closer as a result of his appointment.

Who's going and when?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Summer thread on 12:29 - Jul 9 with 1249 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:28 - Jul 9 by ElHoop

No it wasn't Lambie as i think he was known.

Right nationality though. Spoke the language apparently, hence the nickname. Not one of the greats but a very big hitter in his day.

I can only think of Hick

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Ashes Summer thread on 12:35 - Jul 9 with 1239 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:29 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

I can only think of Hick

No not Hick either, bit more obscure. Other answers are OK though.
Ashes Summer thread on 12:45 - Jul 9 with 1236 viewshopphoops

Ashes Summer thread on 09:26 - Jul 9 by ElHoop

Dunno the others without cheating but Afghanistan is familiar - think that's quite funny but forget who it was.

Here's a few more, one from each test playing nation:

Rawalpindi Express
The Turbanator
Big Bird
Banger
Pigeon
Zulu

To quote Punter, "Millard is Pigeon's nickname". Named after the caravan he lived in.

Afghanistan was Mark, the forgotten Waugh.

Diamonds was Richie Benaud, who was so lucky "he could stick his head in a bucket of shït and come up with a mouth full of diamonds".

Love the story of Ashley Giles and the misprint on the mug.

Human was the county player Paul Romaines.

Was Zulu Robin Smith's brother Chris?

Rawalpindi Express is a cool name but Whispering Death is cooler.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ashes Summer thread on 12:47 - Jul 9 with 1233 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:45 - Jul 9 by hopphoops

To quote Punter, "Millard is Pigeon's nickname". Named after the caravan he lived in.

Afghanistan was Mark, the forgotten Waugh.

Diamonds was Richie Benaud, who was so lucky "he could stick his head in a bucket of shït and come up with a mouth full of diamonds".

Love the story of Ashley Giles and the misprint on the mug.

Human was the county player Paul Romaines.

Was Zulu Robin Smith's brother Chris?

Rawalpindi Express is a cool name but Whispering Death is cooler.

Ahhh the Smith's I forgot about them.

Ashes Summer thread on 13:02 - Jul 9 with 1219 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes Summer thread on 12:47 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Ahhh the Smith's I forgot about them.

Pretty sure "Zulu" was Lance Klusener of South Africa ?
Ashes Summer thread on 13:10 - Jul 9 with 1211 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 13:02 - Jul 9 by johnhoop

Pretty sure "Zulu" was Lance Klusener of South Africa ?

Yeah that's correct - Klusener was Zulu - a great nickname. Extract from Cricinfo

Few would figure Lance Klusener to be a No. 11, but that's where he batted after breaking into first-class cricket as a fast bowler. A childhood spent among Zulu children on a sugar-cane farm and three years in the army contributed to a straightforward approach to bowling: hit the batsman's head if you can't hit his stumps. He spent a couple of years bowling just two lengths before a serious ankle injury in 1998 forced him to drop his pace and develop further skills. He was a revelation in his debut Test, ending with match-winning figures of 8 for 64 against India in Calcutta. He showed glimpses of his big-hitting in the years leading to the 1999 World Cup. His baseball-style backlift and thunderous hitting symbolised the tournament and his heroics nearly took South Africa to the final.
Ashes Summer thread on 13:15 - Jul 9 with 1209 viewsPommyhoop

And the Aussies cant sledge either.Had a look through a list of the classics and every class one has an Aussie as the victim.Normally they open with an insult then get destroyed with the answer.Mgrath gets done beautifully by Eddo Brandes and Ramenesh Sarwan.
Lovelly understated effort by Atherton ::
>>>>Michael Atherton, during his first tour of Australia, stood his ground during a vociferous appeal for a catch behind. At the end of the over, wicketkeeper Ian Healy walked by, calling Atherton a "----ing cheat". Very politely, Atherton shot back: "When in Rome, dear boy."<<<<<

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ashes Summer thread on 13:45 - Jul 9 with 1192 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes Summer thread on 13:15 - Jul 9 by Pommyhoop

And the Aussies cant sledge either.Had a look through a list of the classics and every class one has an Aussie as the victim.Normally they open with an insult then get destroyed with the answer.Mgrath gets done beautifully by Eddo Brandes and Ramenesh Sarwan.
Lovelly understated effort by Atherton ::
>>>>Michael Atherton, during his first tour of Australia, stood his ground during a vociferous appeal for a catch behind. At the end of the over, wicketkeeper Ian Healy walked by, calling Atherton a "----ing cheat". Very politely, Atherton shot back: "When in Rome, dear boy."<<<<<

saw the same article - this one from James Ormond is a beauty:

Upon his arrival at the crease during a Test match in 2001, Ormond copped grief from Mark Waugh. "---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Summer thread on 14:30 - Jul 9 with 1171 viewshopphoops

Ashes Summer thread on 13:45 - Jul 9 by Antti_Heinola

saw the same article - this one from James Ormond is a beauty:

Upon his arrival at the crease during a Test match in 2001, Ormond copped grief from Mark Waugh. "---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

Nice. A bit like Ringo Starr not being the best drummer in the Beatles.

When Atherton went to Lancashire from Oxford or Cambridge, he found a note on his locker saying "F E C". "That's future England captain, Mike". Everyone called him fukcing educated c**t for years.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ashes Summer thread on 15:06 - Jul 9 with 1154 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 14:30 - Jul 9 by hopphoops

Nice. A bit like Ringo Starr not being the best drummer in the Beatles.

When Atherton went to Lancashire from Oxford or Cambridge, he found a note on his locker saying "F E C". "That's future England captain, Mike". Everyone called him fukcing educated c**t for years.

'Our' Steve Palmer played one 1st Class game for Cambridge alongside Atherton against Lancashire - he got Fowler out and Allott got Palmer out.
Ashes Summer thread on 15:13 - Jul 9 with 1151 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ashes Summer thread on 15:06 - Jul 9 by ElHoop

'Our' Steve Palmer played one 1st Class game for Cambridge alongside Atherton against Lancashire - he got Fowler out and Allott got Palmer out.

Fowler and Allot, what a great team Lancashire used to have, both were still there in the early 90's with Fairbrother, Austin, Mendis, Akram and my favourite Mike Watkinson.

Ashes Summer thread on 15:14 - Jul 9 with 1150 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 15:13 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Fowler and Allot, what a great team Lancashire used to have, both were still there in the early 90's with Fairbrother, Austin, Mendis, Akram and my favourite Mike Watkinson.

Here you go:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/48/48461.html
Ashes Summer thread on 15:18 - Jul 9 with 1148 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ashes Summer thread on 15:14 - Jul 9 by ElHoop

Here you go:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/48/48461.html

Cheers for that, I've just remembered David Hughes playing too. I remember his last game...1991 that went quick.

He is now....66!

Ashes Summer thread on 15:23 - Jul 9 with 1143 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 15:18 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Cheers for that, I've just remembered David Hughes playing too. I remember his last game...1991 that went quick.

He is now....66!

Lancy Lancashire were awesome back in the day, with the Lloyds and Frank Hayes and Farokh Engineer and many more besides
Ashes Summer thread on 07:45 - Jul 10 with 1122 viewsBlackCrowe

Come on England, win the toss this morning, put the Aussies into bat and see how much of a contest it will be this Summer.

Ashes Summer thread on 08:09 - Jul 10 with 1115 viewsElHoop

Ashes Summer thread on 07:45 - Jul 10 by BlackCrowe

Come on England, win the toss this morning, put the Aussies into bat and see how much of a contest it will be this Summer.

I think that we'll want to bowl last on this pitch, which looks like taking spin, so whoever wins the toss will more than likely have a bat.

I could see Root making as much impact with the ball as with the bat in this game.
Ashes Summer thread on 08:50 - Jul 10 with 1103 viewsthame_hoops

Predictions?:

Im going 3-1 England and giving them a win once we wrap the series up
Ashes Summer thread on 08:54 - Jul 10 with 1102 viewsQPRDave

Come on England
Ashes Summer thread on 08:58 - Jul 10 with 1098 viewsElHoop

We will dictate the pitch preparation so I can see a whitewash. 3-0 or 4-0 to us.
Ashes Summer thread on 08:58 - Jul 10 with 1096 viewsCharlie1

If the weather doesn't interfere, 5 - 0 white wash.

We've every right to be confident. Yes Lehman has evoked a bit of spirit in the aussies but let's get one thing straight. They are an above average side whilst we are a very good side.
Clarke is an exceptional player who would walk into our team along with possibly Watson and who knows with Warner. That's about it though. You wouldn't replace any of our lads with their lads.

I'd go with Finn today. Sounds like it might now swing so fcking hit the cnts hard with his pace.
If we win this test and get on top of them, all the cracks will reappear that were abundant in India. Remember - we beat India on their own patch fair and square. The Aussies were white washed.

going to the Oval test.

2:59 baby!

Ashes Summer thread on 09:05 - Jul 10 with 1090 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes Summer thread on 08:58 - Jul 10 by Charlie1

We've every right to be confident. Yes Lehman has evoked a bit of spirit in the aussies but let's get one thing straight. They are an above average side whilst we are a very good side.
Clarke is an exceptional player who would walk into our team along with possibly Watson and who knows with Warner. That's about it though. You wouldn't replace any of our lads with their lads.

I'd go with Finn today. Sounds like it might now swing so fcking hit the cnts hard with his pace.
If we win this test and get on top of them, all the cracks will reappear that were abundant in India. Remember - we beat India on their own patch fair and square. The Aussies were white washed.

going to the Oval test.

i hope so!
Ashes Summer thread on 09:12 - Jul 10 with 1089 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Summer thread on 08:58 - Jul 10 by Charlie1

going to the Oval test.

Agree I'd go with Finn over Bresnan today, just. Great choice to have to make though.

Ashes Summer thread on 09:26 - Jul 10 with 1082 viewsElHoop

Yeah Finn for me too, but i think that Broad will be our best quick bowler in this series. He's a destructive force when he's on fire and I reckon that he'll be on fire.
Ashes Summer thread on 09:32 - Jul 10 with 1075 viewsloftus77

There hasn't been a drawn Ashes series since 1972. Thank that'll change this summer. 1-1.

Sets it up nicely for Down Under.

Pigeon was Glenn McGrath BTW (apols if already mentioned)
Ashes Summer thread on 09:37 - Jul 10 with 1067 viewstoboboly

Can't wait anymore.

Want to see them destroyed. Win the toss, bat first. Skittle the fcuks out Thursday afternoon.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024