Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? 08:52 - Aug 22 with 2814 viewsexiled_dictator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10258263/Steve-McClaren-

Back to the England job, it seems.
People have rightly pointed out how great a coach he is, but how bad a manager he is. His impact on QPR has been noticeable, so how would people feel if he were to leave now?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 09:07 - Aug 22 with 2764 viewsQPRDave

Shame....the players like him....could he not do the under 21s part time?....It's only England and we always pick the same players anyway for the 1st team
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 09:09 - Aug 22 with 2752 viewsJonDoeman

I don't think he'll get it, too much ridicule associated with him.

It Is What It Is !!

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:01 - Aug 22 with 2633 viewsTheBlob

Gareth Southgate looks favourite for the U21 gig now.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:03 - Aug 22 with 2628 viewsJonDoeman

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:01 - Aug 22 by TheBlob

Gareth Southgate looks favourite for the U21 gig now.

Awful choice. They should try to get Hoddle.

It Is What It Is !!

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:06 - Aug 22 with 2612 viewsTheBlob

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:03 - Aug 22 by JonDoeman

Awful choice. They should try to get Hoddle.

Glenda's lost it mate,only a matter of time before he's wandering about in a cassock asking if you've been saved.

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:11 - Aug 22 with 2598 viewsNeil_SI

I am still a little bit puzzled by his appointment on a three-month contract.

He's come in to help out, which is fair enough, and to some degree with Harry Redknapp's knee issue, I understand it from that point of view.

But what I don't understand is why McClaren was basically in charge during pre-season ahead of the likes of Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan. Why were they not promoted to be the main man for this period, albeit they appear to be now that the season has started?

It was equally odd to see (in that being Tony video) that Tony Fernandes and the board had not met him until they wandered up to him on the pitch prior to the Exeter friendly when some of the players were warming up. It just struck me as strange and then the conversation between them incredibly artificial.

I just think this kind of situation is high risk, it leaves so many options for excuses and that's exactly what you want to minimise.

If we continue to do well and McClaren suddenly leaves, that could be a problem. It may affect the mood and the form of the players if they like and respect him. If he leaves and then our form dips — we're going to end up blaminig it on this. If we do poorly between now and when he leaves — the remaining staff and fans can essentially blame it all on him.

He could leave and everything still turns out fine, of course, but like I said, you want to minimise the blame game culture and ensure there are no excuses. A three month contract is just too short term, not when it's such an important role as working with the first team.

I've never had a problem with McClaren whatsoever, as a coach, or even as a manager. I think his main problem is how personality with the press and media, where he falls down like a lot of others do. He needs to improve on that side of the job, otherwise he will always have a problem when in the managerial hotseat, as his public perception gives him a disadvantage, and he can often come across as a little bit strange and sometimes spooky when he talks.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2013 10:14]
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:21 - Aug 22 with 2554 viewsJonDoeman

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:06 - Aug 22 by TheBlob

Glenda's lost it mate,only a matter of time before he's wandering about in a cassock asking if you've been saved.

You're probably right Blobby, too much ridicule attached to him as well. But I heard him talking on a 5 live special on the state of English football, and what he was saying sounded quite inspiring to me, especially opposed to the bookies fav for the job, SouthgateZzzzzzzz......!!!!

It Is What It Is !!

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:23 - Aug 22 with 2543 viewsrsonist

Even if he leaves now I think it's been a positive thing that we're better off for having done (although no way of knowing for sure of course). After last season I can well imagine the atmosphere was stale and resentful, and having a fresh enthusiastic untarnished face come in will have cleared the air a little- especially with HR not being around for a period. Now the ball's rolling again the team should be able to cope without.
Login to get fewer ads

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 2531 viewsrsonist

Not only is Hoddle a complete crackpot but his man management skills are on a par with Hughes'. The wheels were coming off for him at England long before the stupid remarks that got him sacked.

Agree Southgate would be pointless, on the other hand. Maybe this is the position where we should be getting a foreign coach in because I can't really see a satisfactory English candidate.
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:33 - Aug 22 with 2514 viewsTheBlob

As soon as Glenda came on the box and said "tonight's game is harder for Spurs than Palace" I lumped on Spuds.

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:54 - Aug 22 with 2433 viewsdaveB

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:27 - Aug 22 by rsonist

Not only is Hoddle a complete crackpot but his man management skills are on a par with Hughes'. The wheels were coming off for him at England long before the stupid remarks that got him sacked.

Agree Southgate would be pointless, on the other hand. Maybe this is the position where we should be getting a foreign coach in because I can't really see a satisfactory English candidate.

And thats exactly why in a nutshell England will never win anything because when we hit a problem and need it solving our first option is always seek a foreigner to do it.
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:59 - Aug 22 with 2418 viewsNorthernr

the funniest/most terrifying part of that article is the suggestion that Michael Appleton is one of the candidates.

Fck me may as well give up now.
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 11:19 - Aug 22 with 2378 viewsbosh67

I would have thought he could in theory do both jobs? Certainly seems to have got us better organised this season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 14:13 - Aug 22 with 2122 viewshoopstar67

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:06 - Aug 22 by TheBlob

He has not lost it as you are saying, talks a lot of sense and done a lot of good work with youngsters, would love him at QPR, just the type of manager we need after Rednapp leaves, always been a good coach and manager and plays good football.
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 14:36 - Aug 22 with 2060 viewsJonDoeman

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy 42m

Reliably informed that Gareth Southgate is to be appointed by the FA as new England Under-21s coach

It Is What It Is !!

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 15:37 - Aug 22 with 1953 viewsadhoc_qpr

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:59 - Aug 22 by Northernr

the funniest/most terrifying part of that article is the suggestion that Michael Appleton is one of the candidates.

Fck me may as well give up now.

Where has Appleton's fantastic reputation come from?

It certainly can't be from anyone who has seen his Pompey, Blackpool or Blackburn teams play...
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 18:30 - Aug 22 with 1798 viewsbosh67

Southgate just appointed as Under 21 manager. Steve stays. Good.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 18:30 - Aug 22 with 1798 viewssoupandhoop

its southgate
Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 18:48 - Aug 22 with 1773 viewsTacticalR

Why does the FA crave such non-entities as Southgate?

Air hostess clique

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 18:49 - Aug 22 with 1768 viewsrsonist

Shhteeeeeve to Move On? on 10:54 - Aug 22 by daveB

And thats exactly why in a nutshell England will never win anything because when we hit a problem and need it solving our first option is always seek a foreigner to do it.

When it comes to developing youth, better to use and learn from foreign expertise in the short term, establishing a medium and long term English framework in the meantime. What difference will it make giving the job to Southgate now? Good modern English coaches are a generation away.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024