Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 54612 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 08:26 - Jun 9 with 1729 viewsWarwickHunt

Andrew Neil interviewing Farage "May has failed to get a mandate for her breakfast...err Brexit"

The election results thread on 08:47 - Jun 9 with 1666 viewsPegojack

Woke up this morning to see the despicable Thatcherite John Redwood squirming on BBC News as he tried to put lipstick on a pig.

Oh, what a glorious morning!
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 9:20]
The election results thread on 09:02 - Jun 9 with 1628 viewsBrynCartwright

Well done to Tonia Antoniazzi for winning Gower back from the Conservatives. How they must be "Harumphing" behind their Daily Mails and Telegraphs down in Horton and Port Eynon. Get your blue signs down now losers. People of Gorseinon and the Bont have spoken at last. Surely Theresa's campaign could not have been helped by this disaster of an outfit...

Hopefully the prospect of chinless wonders once again blundering around the countryside mullering foxes legally has been averted.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

The election results thread on 09:12 - Jun 9 with 1603 viewsnice_to_michu

The Conservative Party might actually get a coalition of chaos then.....

....made up of a reduced number of Tories propped up by the DUP led by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove.

Dear oh dear
The election results thread on 09:20 - Jun 9 with 1578 viewssherpajacob

What will the daily mail headline be for this.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/06/01/news/arlene-foster-

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The election results thread on 09:37 - Jun 9 with 1522 viewsPegojack

No-one so far has floated this out as a possibility, so I will, just to get the debate flowing this morning.

With the Maybot about to cosy up to the DUP to secure power, what are the chances of Jezza having a chat with his Sinn Fein mates, asking them to get down off their high horse and actually take up their seats in parliament and join 'the progressive alliance' to put him in No. 10?

I'm sure Loh can supply us with suitable pictorial illustration of the point from his photo bank.
The election results thread on 09:40 - Jun 9 with 1516 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 09:20 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

What will the daily mail headline be for this.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/06/01/news/arlene-foster-

Will be conveniently ignored. Arlene Foster is a stubborn leader and working with May is far from a foregone conclusion. I fully expect another autumn election, by which time the economy may well not look so rosy and the Tories commit seppuku by appointing Johnson (Boris nor Jo who is at least sane) or Gove as leader leading to another hung Parliament but with a larger Labour representation.
The election results thread on 09:44 - Jun 9 with 1501 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 09:40 - Jun 9 by Professor

Will be conveniently ignored. Arlene Foster is a stubborn leader and working with May is far from a foregone conclusion. I fully expect another autumn election, by which time the economy may well not look so rosy and the Tories commit seppuku by appointing Johnson (Boris nor Jo who is at least sane) or Gove as leader leading to another hung Parliament but with a larger Labour representation.

Hopefully the Brexit discussions can be had. Odds on us staying in the customs union and single market?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 09:57 - Jun 9 with 1471 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 09:44 - Jun 9 by waynekerr55

Hopefully the Brexit discussions can be had. Odds on us staying in the customs union and single market?

"Odds on us staying in the customs union and single market? "

indeed that's what the people have voted for in this election, and it must be respected.

The election results thread on 09:59 - Jun 9 with 1464 viewsdickythorpe

The election results thread on 09:37 - Jun 9 by Pegojack

No-one so far has floated this out as a possibility, so I will, just to get the debate flowing this morning.

With the Maybot about to cosy up to the DUP to secure power, what are the chances of Jezza having a chat with his Sinn Fein mates, asking them to get down off their high horse and actually take up their seats in parliament and join 'the progressive alliance' to put him in No. 10?

I'm sure Loh can supply us with suitable pictorial illustration of the point from his photo bank.

Now there's a lateral thought!!
The election results thread on 10:09 - Jun 9 with 1436 viewsyescomeon

With a hard boarder at stake who knows.

Upthecity!

The election results thread on 10:16 - Jun 9 with 1412 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 09:44 - Jun 9 by waynekerr55

A soft Brexit is in everyone's best interests, Shirley?

Business can flow, raising tax receipts

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The election results thread on 10:24 - Jun 9 with 1389 viewsOnslow

The Royal Village of Llangyfelach is red again

She keeps passin' me by...

The election results thread on 10:25 - Jun 9 with 1385 viewsOnslow

Made this comment in work this morning. Definitely one to watch...

She keeps passin' me by...

The election results thread on 10:32 - Jun 9 with 1360 viewsdailew

May to seek to form govt.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The election results thread on 10:33 - Jun 9 with 1358 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 10:16 - Jun 9 by waynekerr55

A soft Brexit is in everyone's best interests, Shirley?

Business can flow, raising tax receipts

Has to be. Brexit is a disaster that has not yet bitten. Not in the scaremongering 'crash' way that Cameron tried so badly to put forward, but in a slower decline, People bought a lie from the highly effective Nigel Farage and the likes of the 'Daily Heil' -self interest from the rich who would suffer minimal impact in making us a mini-US. We have become a nation of increasing individual selfishness in my lifetime. We are less socially aware than France, Germany or Netherlands-the nations we are most like. I travel to France and Germany for work and its not like they are terrible places, far from it. The "Little Englander" is alive and well in our middle-aged and older people-harking back to some time when Britain was great with child poverty, large areas of deprivation, little or no rights for workers, health care if you could afford it.

Rant over. I voted for my excellent Labour MP yesterday in Ellesmere Port and Neston and pleased to wake up to a Tory-free area of North East Wales, Chester, Wirral, Liverpool and most of Greater Manchester and pleased by Labour gains in South Wales. I am not a Corbyn fan, but pleased we are making a dreadful Conservative Government accountable for their arrogance and complete lack of compassion shown to the most vulnerable in society.
The election results thread on 10:33 - Jun 9 with 1355 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 10:32 - Jun 9 by dailew

May to seek to form govt.

The DUP will stand by her.

The election results thread on 10:36 - Jun 9 with 1338 viewsPegojack

The election results thread on 10:33 - Jun 9 by Professor

Has to be. Brexit is a disaster that has not yet bitten. Not in the scaremongering 'crash' way that Cameron tried so badly to put forward, but in a slower decline, People bought a lie from the highly effective Nigel Farage and the likes of the 'Daily Heil' -self interest from the rich who would suffer minimal impact in making us a mini-US. We have become a nation of increasing individual selfishness in my lifetime. We are less socially aware than France, Germany or Netherlands-the nations we are most like. I travel to France and Germany for work and its not like they are terrible places, far from it. The "Little Englander" is alive and well in our middle-aged and older people-harking back to some time when Britain was great with child poverty, large areas of deprivation, little or no rights for workers, health care if you could afford it.

Rant over. I voted for my excellent Labour MP yesterday in Ellesmere Port and Neston and pleased to wake up to a Tory-free area of North East Wales, Chester, Wirral, Liverpool and most of Greater Manchester and pleased by Labour gains in South Wales. I am not a Corbyn fan, but pleased we are making a dreadful Conservative Government accountable for their arrogance and complete lack of compassion shown to the most vulnerable in society.

Great post.
The election results thread on 10:45 - Jun 9 with 1308 viewsHighjack

I know talk will be about chaos and uncertainty but I reckon this is probably around the best possible result for our democracy. May will form a government with a tiny majority propped up by the DUP before being unceremoniously stabbed in the front by her colleagues. We finally have an opposition that can genuinely hold the government to account. A large majority would have meant they could just push through whatever they want unopposed which is never a good situation to be in. The SNP have been tethered with a lot of their big hitters gone. It's been proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that UKIP are and always were a one man band, will be interesting to see if Farage makes a return and for which party? Can see the Tories being interested in him, like him or loathe him he has real star quality.

Interesting times ahead.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The election results thread on 10:49 - Jun 9 with 1297 viewssherpajacob

If Cameron had stayed (as he said he would) he could have arranged the softest of soft brexits and avoided the complete clusterfeck of May's premiership.

The hard right Tories holding May to ransom have fecked themselves in the arse.

May deluded herself over her own capabilities.

The crux is EU membership in or out is simply not a major factor for the vast majority of voters.
If asked a direct question they will answer it, but in reality it ranks pretty low in the list of questions to ask.

Complete lunacy to have a referendum on it.

We don't need another one, we just need whichever government is in power to say we are staying in the single market.

The election results thread on 10:55 - Jun 9 with 1276 viewsLord_Bony

Time to start worrying about the UK in general now.

We have important negotiations coming up and we look a laughing stock.

Tory leadership challenges would plunge the country into chaos.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The election results thread on 10:59 - Jun 9 with 1260 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 10:55 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

Time to start worrying about the UK in general now.

We have important negotiations coming up and we look a laughing stock.

Tory leadership challenges would plunge the country into chaos.

Barnier (voice of reason) has said negotiations shouldn't start until the UK is ready.

I suggest we will be ready by about 2070. That's suits me.

The election results thread on 11:05 - Jun 9 with 1248 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 10:45 - Jun 9 by Highjack

I know talk will be about chaos and uncertainty but I reckon this is probably around the best possible result for our democracy. May will form a government with a tiny majority propped up by the DUP before being unceremoniously stabbed in the front by her colleagues. We finally have an opposition that can genuinely hold the government to account. A large majority would have meant they could just push through whatever they want unopposed which is never a good situation to be in. The SNP have been tethered with a lot of their big hitters gone. It's been proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that UKIP are and always were a one man band, will be interesting to see if Farage makes a return and for which party? Can see the Tories being interested in him, like him or loathe him he has real star quality.

Interesting times ahead.

In an election of polarised policy positions, the great irony is that the result may force a return to the centre as neither side will be able to get its more extreme policies through. Certainly applies for Brexit, where a delay, or at least a very different approach will have to emerge. Best possible result for those of us that yearned for a return to the centre and the softest possible Brexit.

The only downside is the possible emergence of Boris. Glad that Rudd retained her seat as she is far more palatable than him as a replacement for May, who surely must go.

Hopefully we are entering a period of compromise and negotiation, a period where the good of the country as a whole can be considered rather than just elements of it. If they're grown up, it may work. If they're their usual childish selves, we'll have to go through all this again in a few months.
The election results thread on 11:09 - Jun 9 with 1239 viewsskippyjack

I can't listen to professors who are primarily funded by the EU money tree..

But you all haven't pulled the wool over my eyes.. no matter how intellectually astute you all think you are..

Certain work positions in certain areas rely on EU financial streams.. I'm an out of the EU.. because I knew what was coming..

I'm sure you can 'survive' on your already healthy salaries.. to teach Mickey mouse degrees.

(I've got my eyes in you)

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The election results thread on 11:10 - Jun 9 with 1233 viewsexiledclaseboy

So the UK is now effectively governed by 10 MPs from Northern Ireland. Strong and stable.

If you think the right wing of the Tory party is the lunatic fringe you ain't seen nothing yet. The DUP is like UKIP on acid at times.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024