Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 54583 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 17:04 - Jun 9 with 1833 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 12:12 - Jun 9 by Ebo

Dinosaur deniers I'm told as well.

Nothing more than a f8cking jazz band wearing rangers shirts slurping tenants super

Who, the LibDems?

I said Ebo, that the LibDems having influence would be good, not the bloody DUP.

The DUP are like the right wing of the Republican party - utterly offensive in every single way.

I can't imagine them being able to influence anything though - if they tried to push their hateful bile on anything, the moderate conservatives wouldn't support so the government would collapse.

As I said, in my view I'd like to see some compromise, negotiation, consensus, common sense. As I also said, if they act in their usual way we'll have another election before we know it. The initial signs from May aren't promising I must say.
The election results thread on 17:09 - Jun 9 with 1822 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 16:45 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Ironically Streatham is one of the bits which has gone downhill.

Parts of Peckham and Tooting are very gentrified. Parts are dire.

As always, London has very affluent areas rubbing up directly with areas that are far rougher than anything most on here will have seen. Harlesden, Neasdon, Willesden are very ropey. Parts of East London (Tower Hamlets) are probably worst. Bits of Hackney are fabulous, bits are dreadful.

Most of the old working class areas don't really exist. Either one thing or the other now really.

I liked Tooting and Peckham-though the latter in 1990 was 'interesting'. Worked as a research technician at LSHTM for absolute peanuts-Peckham was my financial limit
The election results thread on 17:13 - Jun 9 with 1820 viewsLord_Bony

The election results thread on 16:10 - Jun 9 by Watchman

exactly no need to call it and thats 2 such elections in 12 months. Unfit to govern if you ask me. Not thinking of the country

And a third one coming right up in November...we are the laughing stock of Europe ffs.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:16 - Jun 9 with 1807 viewsLord_Bony

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:35 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

The next chancellor of the exchequer? (On the left)
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 16:38]

The one on the right would be funnier though?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The election results thread on 17:26 - Jun 9 with 1777 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 15:03 - Jun 9 by Professor

Oddly the one thing Blair got right was to improve education and in particular at primary level. I also think it is the conservative's biggest disaster. Poor behaviour is, in my opinion related to the expect everything and greed fostered by the 1979-1997 Tory government and the loss of social structure-the classless society that lead to an underclass.

Don't buy the Gove theory that moving to a rigid structure brings attainment up to levels n Singapore or China- the whole learning system is different. We used to foster thinking and innovation-that system is designed to supply moderately educated drones.

I'm of the opinion that the Blair education years were wasted. There was too much emphasis on a success rates gravy train (particularly in FE colleges and schools). I fully agree that the new system isn't for for purpose either.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The election results thread on 17:30 - Jun 9 with 1761 viewsBytholWyn

This, as expected from John Curtis is a balanced piece: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40219338

His conclusion that everyone was a a loser apart from the DUP sums things up pretty well.

Labour did well only when viewed from the perspective of low expectations. They're not in power, nor is there any conceivable coalition formal or informal that could put them in power. Plus there is no centre ground left to squeeze votes out of come future elections - I can't see many switching from the Tories to Labour. So just as the last election was SNPs high water, this one is probably Labour's. I can't see where any additional votes will come from without the party moving to the centre - which will dismay the young voters so energised this time.

Labour may have generated a Catch-22 that it's going to struggle to escape from. The same goes for Plaid. They will stick with Leanne because Plaid won an extra seat, but she lacks the gravitas to convince and take the party forwards.
The election results thread on 17:31 - Jun 9 with 1759 viewsexiledclaseboy

The election results thread on 13:54 - Jun 9 by Kerouac

Yeah it's just that Article 50 has been triggered now, your mob voted for it remember(?!?), and we will be leaving in 2 years regardless.
By voting for the politics of La La Land to spite the Tories and we Brexiteers you have ensured we will get f*cking walked over in these negotiations.
It will be our children who pay.

Still nevermind what is good for the country and our people as a whole, just so long as you can look in the mirror and tell yourself;
"I'm a great person, I think everybody should get everything their heart desires (we deserve it) on the free and I did my bit yesterday."
as well as enjoying a bit more Tory bashing ay.

This country needs to f*cking grow up.
We can't have the services we want for our rapidly expanding, ageing, population without paying for it...and we can't afford to pay for it unless we grow the Private sector...and we can't grow the Private sector fast enough while we remain as the financial centre of the EU and neglect other sectors that would HUGELY benefit from trading more with the rest of the World (where all the growth is)....and we should not be burdened with extra costs associated with expanding the German empire when we are a junior, ignored, part of that empire.
We need change and we need to make it happen ourselves not kid ourselves that others will pay for us.

Oh, and go f*ck YOURself and may all your children be blessed with tiny cocks, especially the girls.

Kerouac has taken last night's news in his usual measured, toleranf, liberal way then.

The election results thread on 17:38 - Jun 9 with 1743 viewsBytholWyn

May is showing yet more terrible judgement in going into bed with the DUP:

May's lack of statesmanship is a massive cause for concern. Peace was built on a belated attitude from the UK government of equality of esteem for the two communities in Northern Ireland. Taking sides in Northern Ireland is hugely dangerous. Dissident Republicans will be loving it...
Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 17:48 - Jun 9 with 1725 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 17:38 - Jun 9 by BytholWyn

May is showing yet more terrible judgement in going into bed with the DUP:

May's lack of statesmanship is a massive cause for concern. Peace was built on a belated attitude from the UK government of equality of esteem for the two communities in Northern Ireland. Taking sides in Northern Ireland is hugely dangerous. Dissident Republicans will be loving it...

I thought they had ruled out a coalition or formal agreement?

Has that changed?
The election results thread on 17:54 - Jun 9 with 1711 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

It's all about her, me me me .

She has no interest in the country's problems

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The election results thread on 17:59 - Jun 9 with 1705 viewsBytholWyn

But without making deals with the DUP, even if informal, how can May govern? It's a simple matter of arithmetic. With the Lib Dems ruling out any sort of deal with the Tories (they've finally learned just how toxic that is) the Tories have nowhere to go. It's as simple as that. The principled position would be to attempt to rule as a minority administration and hope for the best. But they would have to forget about their manifesto (apart from those very few things that they have in common with other parties) and focus exclusively on Brexit, adopting a more emollient stance that will get support from other parties - quite apart from being a more sensible approach to things.
The election results thread on 18:02 - Jun 9 with 1692 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 17:59 - Jun 9 by BytholWyn

But without making deals with the DUP, even if informal, how can May govern? It's a simple matter of arithmetic. With the Lib Dems ruling out any sort of deal with the Tories (they've finally learned just how toxic that is) the Tories have nowhere to go. It's as simple as that. The principled position would be to attempt to rule as a minority administration and hope for the best. But they would have to forget about their manifesto (apart from those very few things that they have in common with other parties) and focus exclusively on Brexit, adopting a more emollient stance that will get support from other parties - quite apart from being a more sensible approach to things.

That's exactly what I'm hoping happens.

And is what I thought they said they'd do? I may be mistaken, I just caught a ticker tape on the BBC saying they were going to form a minority government.
The election results thread on 18:46 - Jun 9 with 1625 viewsskippyjack

Does anyone read what I post.. or do you just 'ignore' it.. the fundamental problem at the elite table?

People are unwilling to see the bigger picture..

Fortunately.. one jobless bum can see the way out of war.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The election results thread on 18:57 - Jun 9 with 1598 viewsZZoric

The election results thread on 18:46 - Jun 9 by skippyjack

Does anyone read what I post.. or do you just 'ignore' it.. the fundamental problem at the elite table?

People are unwilling to see the bigger picture..

Fortunately.. one jobless bum can see the way out of war.

I think they just dont get you - so brush u under the carpet in a typical civil servant-esque cowering way
The election results thread on 19:23 - Jun 9 with 1553 viewsyescomeon

There's actually the problem of Scottish mps not being able to vote on English matters which means the tories only have a majority on certain non-devolved matters.

Upthecity!

The election results thread on 19:44 - Jun 9 with 1517 viewssherpajacob

Many Tories would prefer Ruth Davidson as leader.

Not sure the DUP would go for that.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The election results thread on 19:54 - Jun 9 with 1498 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 19:44 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Many Tories would prefer Ruth Davidson as leader.

Not sure the DUP would go for that.

All the more reason Sherpa. Anything which annoys those sorts of bigots.
The election results thread on 19:57 - Jun 9 with 1491 viewsploppy

I didn't post this in the predictions thread because no-one seems to be following that. But I was sort of right

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4589420/Protestors-demonstrate-against-T

Do I win anything?
The election results thread on 20:10 - Jun 9 with 1480 viewsmonmouth

The election results thread on 19:54 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

All the more reason Sherpa. Anything which annoys those sorts of bigots.

The DUP were described as the political wing of the 18th Century. This is going to kill the tories when they fail shortly. They are a shambles.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The election results thread on 20:13 - Jun 9 with 1472 viewsexiledclaseboy

The election results thread on 20:10 - Jun 9 by monmouth

The DUP were described as the political wing of the 18th Century. This is going to kill the tories when they fail shortly. They are a shambles.

The more focus the DUP gets the quicker people will realise exactly who it is May has jumped into bed with to prop herself up. They really are very, very disagreeable people.

The election results thread on 20:14 - Jun 9 with 1470 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 20:10 - Jun 9 by monmouth

As I said, two ways to go, the way I favour - grown up, compromise, negotiation, consensus, the usual way - childish nonsense, another election within 6 months.

I am heartened that a coalition has been ruled out, unsurprised that May's reaction today has been woeful. I know which way I'd bet...

Shame, as this is a great opportunity for a move to the centre ground that I would love.
The election results thread on 20:25 - Jun 9 with 1436 viewsexiledclaseboy

So, marks out of 10 based on expectation and performance in both campaign and result:

Tories - 0. A catastrophe. But brilliantly funny to witness and even more so as she clearly intends to try and muddle through.
Labour - 8 - massively outperformed expectations in both campaign and performance. At last we have an opposition. Use the platform.
LibDems - 4. Seat gain but should have done better. Probably will do better with a decent front man (or woman).
SNP -2. Has the nationalist bubble burst?
Plaid - 6. Vote share loss but can't argue with a seat gain.
UKIP - minus 1000. Hahahahahahaha. But their work was already done.

The election results thread on 20:25 - Jun 9 with 1434 viewsHeadmaster

The election results thread on 20:13 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

The more focus the DUP gets the quicker people will realise exactly who it is May has jumped into bed with to prop herself up. They really are very, very disagreeable people.

Strong and Stable leadership

The election results thread on 20:28 - Jun 9 with 1423 viewsmonmouth

Some chinless turd on the radio question time is still trying to attack Corbyn. They have learned nothing the arrogant arseholes.

Jesus, he just said "wait until the press start properly investigating Corbyn". F*ck my ears.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The election results thread on 20:51 - Jun 9 with 1373 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 20:25 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

So, marks out of 10 based on expectation and performance in both campaign and result:

Tories - 0. A catastrophe. But brilliantly funny to witness and even more so as she clearly intends to try and muddle through.
Labour - 8 - massively outperformed expectations in both campaign and performance. At last we have an opposition. Use the platform.
LibDems - 4. Seat gain but should have done better. Probably will do better with a decent front man (or woman).
SNP -2. Has the nationalist bubble burst?
Plaid - 6. Vote share loss but can't argue with a seat gain.
UKIP - minus 1000. Hahahahahahaha. But their work was already done.

Harsh on the SNP.

Still their 2nd best ever GE result.

It's like a team going unbeaten and winning the league by 30 points. Next season they lose 5 or 6 and only win the league by 10 points and people calling for the manager to be sacked.

Just a,shame they lost so many to the Tories, losing them to LD or labour would have been ok.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024