Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 56493 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 12:13 - Jun 9 with 1551 viewstrampie

SNP have won far more seats than every other party in Scotland all put together, Labour people were voting Conservative in certain seats and visa versa and the same for Lib-Dems.

The SNP winning virtually every seat last time out was once in a 1000 years job for a smaller party, this time round the SNP got over 3 times their best ever return discounting last times once in a thousand year job.
For anyone to say the SNP done terrible is ignorant, ill-informed, biased and disingenuous.

The other parties in Scotland effectively joined together to made it a nationalists v's unionists vote and in that light the nationalist party won 35 seats to the unionists combined total of 24 seats.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The election results thread on 12:16 - Jun 9 with 1542 viewsblueytheblue

The election results thread on 12:12 - Jun 9 by Professor

We appear to be of the same vintage-full grant and fees paid for me at King's in the mid '80s too.

As you stay the numbers are different-less than 10% of my school year went to University (or indeed Polytechnic). There are now 130+ universities and much larger intakes and funding is a challenge. There is no easy answer

The answer is to recognise that pushing as many as possible into University isn't the answer. There are many, many jobs not requiring a degree.

I'd keep tuition fees and instead invest in vocational education more - which is more applicable to the vast number of the young, even many of those instead going to Uni.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The election results thread on 12:17 - Jun 9 with 1536 viewsblueytheblue

The election results thread on 12:13 - Jun 9 by trampie

SNP have won far more seats than every other party in Scotland all put together, Labour people were voting Conservative in certain seats and visa versa and the same for Lib-Dems.

The SNP winning virtually every seat last time out was once in a 1000 years job for a smaller party, this time round the SNP got over 3 times their best ever return discounting last times once in a thousand year job.
For anyone to say the SNP done terrible is ignorant, ill-informed, biased and disingenuous.

The other parties in Scotland effectively joined together to made it a nationalists v's unionists vote and in that light the nationalist party won 35 seats to the unionists combined total of 24 seats.

SNP lost their Westminster leader, lost Alex Salmond, lost over 20 MPs.

Apparently that's not "doing terrible".

Trampie's even more deluded than I am.

The election results thread on 12:26 - Jun 9 with 1499 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 12:16 - Jun 9 by blueytheblue

The answer is to recognise that pushing as many as possible into University isn't the answer. There are many, many jobs not requiring a degree.

I'd keep tuition fees and instead invest in vocational education more - which is more applicable to the vast number of the young, even many of those instead going to Uni.

The lack of respect for vocational training in the UK is an issue. Proper long-term vocational apprenticeships (with training at degree and masters level) would be a greater benefit than a poor degree. Degrees used to be about training skills that could be applied in research, business and industry. They have become an extension of school-taught to pass exams.

The difference is clear-of my 'A' level year in 1986 I think 12 went to university. These are now lawyers, accountants, pharmacists, engineers, academics or senior managers. The figure will now be perhaps 50-100 from the equivalent-to work in call centres or in admin roles. In makes sense for employers (say in my area Airbus or Convatec) to take the bright 18 year olds on a 5-7 year apprenticeship with day release to take engineering degrees at Liverpool or Biomaterials at Manchester.

There is a lot to be said about the old HNC system of day release too.
The election results thread on 12:29 - Jun 9 with 1487 viewstrampie

There is a case for the Conservative, Labour, Lib-Dem and UKIP leaders to resign.

The right wing unionist press will as usual go for the SNP and Plaid leaders, although the SNP won the vote hands down in Scotland and Plaid gained a seat in Wales equalling their best ever return.

The Conservatives lost their majority losing seats and called the election for no reason, Labour finished nowhere well down in second place about 60 seats short of the Conservatives, the Lib-Dems who are a British wide party got a terrible 12 seats across the whole of Britain when you look at them in various guises [Liberal party of old] its a shockingly bad result on the back of recent shockingly bad GE results, UKIP didn't get any seats at all.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The election results thread on 12:32 - Jun 9 with 1478 viewsblueytheblue

The election results thread on 12:29 - Jun 9 by trampie

There is a case for the Conservative, Labour, Lib-Dem and UKIP leaders to resign.

The right wing unionist press will as usual go for the SNP and Plaid leaders, although the SNP won the vote hands down in Scotland and Plaid gained a seat in Wales equalling their best ever return.

The Conservatives lost their majority losing seats and called the election for no reason, Labour finished nowhere well down in second place about 60 seats short of the Conservatives, the Lib-Dems who are a British wide party got a terrible 12 seats across the whole of Britain when you look at them in various guises [Liberal party of old] its a shockingly bad result on the back of recent shockingly bad GE results, UKIP didn't get any seats at all.

May is toast. Farron came close to losing seat. Nuttell has resigned, do keep up at the back.

Agree on Labour's performance not being as impressive as some would claim, but you reckon Corbyn should resign? Even I'm not saying that.

Plaid got a seat? Congrats. Such a force. Maybe Leanne should resign as she didn't get the seats she wanted / expected.

The election results thread on 12:32 - Jun 9 with 1478 viewsPegojack

The election results thread on 12:17 - Jun 9 by blueytheblue

And that's saying something.

A Tory AND a scummer!

Come on now, Bluey, we don't mind you staying a Tory, but why don't you just admit it to yourself, you really want to be.................................a JACK!

Come on, son, get yourself down to the Liberty, renounce the Dark Side, you know you want to. We'll all be waiting for you, all your mates there to welcome you - Darran, Sherpa, Brynnie, Trampie, The Res, etc, etc.

Come on, Bluey, come home, you know it makes sense.
The election results thread on 12:40 - Jun 9 with 1461 viewsLohengrin

The election results thread on 12:32 - Jun 9 by Pegojack

And that's saying something.

A Tory AND a scummer!

Come on now, Bluey, we don't mind you staying a Tory, but why don't you just admit it to yourself, you really want to be.................................a JACK!

Come on, son, get yourself down to the Liberty, renounce the Dark Side, you know you want to. We'll all be waiting for you, all your mates there to welcome you - Darran, Sherpa, Brynnie, Trampie, The Res, etc, etc.

Come on, Bluey, come home, you know it makes sense.

We could meet him for a pint at least.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 12:45 - Jun 9 with 1445 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 12:40 - Jun 9 by Lohengrin

We could meet him for a pint at least.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The election results thread on 12:47 - Jun 9 with 1438 viewsLohengrin

The election results thread on 12:45 - Jun 9 by waynekerr55

That's not sour Wayne, is it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The election results thread on 12:51 - Jun 9 with 1425 viewsWatchman

Kensington & Chelsea Lab gain

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

The election results thread on 12:54 - Jun 9 with 1414 viewsJack_Kass

Every dog has it's day and this is Corbyns, but I dont understand huge celebrations from any party or supporter.

Corbyn will not be the next PM, so labour are pretty much celebrating losing the world cup final on pens, but they have another chance in 5 years.. strange.

Corbyn is now 68, so if he carries on, then theoretically he is going to be 73 at the next GE, and if he somehow wins that then going into the following term in his mid 70's. Not ideal, and if Labour were sensible they'd be finding their Macron as of this moment.

There is no future that involves Corbyn or May, so I find this faux celebration odd, to say the least.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

The election results thread on 12:55 - Jun 9 with 1408 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 12:47 - Jun 9 by Lohengrin

That's not sour Wayne, is it?

Hoy vey!

The election results thread on 12:55 - Jun 9 with 1408 viewsDarran

The election results thread on 12:54 - Jun 9 by Jack_Kass

Every dog has it's day and this is Corbyns, but I dont understand huge celebrations from any party or supporter.

Corbyn will not be the next PM, so labour are pretty much celebrating losing the world cup final on pens, but they have another chance in 5 years.. strange.

Corbyn is now 68, so if he carries on, then theoretically he is going to be 73 at the next GE, and if he somehow wins that then going into the following term in his mid 70's. Not ideal, and if Labour were sensible they'd be finding their Macron as of this moment.

There is no future that involves Corbyn or May, so I find this faux celebration odd, to say the least.

I agree with that mate. I've kind of just said similar in another thread.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The election results thread on 12:58 - Jun 9 with 1394 viewsPegojack

I would think the odds on another general election before the end of this year are pretty high.
The election results thread on 13:02 - Jun 9 with 1379 viewsEbo

Hmmm I do recall many on here and elsewhere stating that Corbyn was unelectable, he'd get hammered in an election etc...

Didn't pan out that way did it?

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The election results thread on 13:03 - Jun 9 with 1376 viewsKerouac

The election results thread on 11:55 - Jun 9 by Professor

Yes- there is a clear difference. Although I support Labour the LibDem's were honest in that public services, especially the NHS, can only be funded by increased taxation. They are still feeling the damage of the coalition but nice to see some good people like Vince Cable and Ed Davey back in parliament.

The one policy I do not back (which is perhaps surprising) is the scrapping of University Tuition fees-the return of the HEFE/HEFCW/SHEFC grant charges HE to all, not the beneficiary. That said I would prefer a graduate tax more in line with LibDem than Labour policy.

All parties tend to have some good policies (except perhaps UKIP) and sometimes the centrist approach (such as Germany or the Netherlands) can work better for many, not the few.

In the words of Billy Bragg "Sweet Moderation, heart of this nation".

You sound sensible.
Why the f*ck did you vote for Corbyn's mob?
You must be able to see what a load of shite their manifesto is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

The election results thread on 13:05 - Jun 9 with 1366 viewsEbo

The election results thread on 13:03 - Jun 9 by Kerouac

You sound sensible.
Why the f*ck did you vote for Corbyn's mob?
You must be able to see what a load of shite their manifesto is...

Lib Dems How did they get on by the way?

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The election results thread on 13:10 - Jun 9 with 1343 viewsPrivate_Partz

Brave comment on no election for 5 years. I think it will be sooner than later. The Maybot outside No 10 looks broken and the silence from her would be supporters is deafening.
JC is not a young man but even at 73 would by no means be impossible or him to be PM. More likely talent will now percolate to the top from the army of young supporters he has motivated and this person will take the Party forward.
After the shockingly childish Tory mocking of JC, the biased Murdock press and the treacherous Blairite PLP this is a cause for massive celebration for him, Labour and it's supporters.
It will go down in history as one of the great turnarounds from being 27 points behind in some polls just 7 weeks ago.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The election results thread on 13:22 - Jun 9 with 1307 viewsGreatBritton

The election results thread on 11:39 - Jun 9 by Lohengrin

The first time since the interregnum that government policy will be formulated via the prism of the Heidelberg Catechism.

And to think all the multi-culturalists will still have a bad head from their celebratory hangover this morning, wait until that new reality starts to dawn on them...

I take it you are referring particularly to the first Sunday of the catechism - the Misery of Man?
The election results thread on 13:26 - Jun 9 with 1290 viewsKerouac

The election results thread on 13:10 - Jun 9 by Private_Partz

Brave comment on no election for 5 years. I think it will be sooner than later. The Maybot outside No 10 looks broken and the silence from her would be supporters is deafening.
JC is not a young man but even at 73 would by no means be impossible or him to be PM. More likely talent will now percolate to the top from the army of young supporters he has motivated and this person will take the Party forward.
After the shockingly childish Tory mocking of JC, the biased Murdock press and the treacherous Blairite PLP this is a cause for massive celebration for him, Labour and it's supporters.
It will go down in history as one of the great turnarounds from being 27 points behind in some polls just 7 weeks ago.

Corbyn and his crew have been successful in fundamentally changing the Labour Party and the centre of gravity in UK politics will alter.

Brexit will be bad for this country now as the EU will have the government over a barrel.
There is f*ck all point of having a Brexit which is not actually a Brexit...so f*cking foolish.

Our kids will pay.
It seems like it's just a game for most on here.

Anyone who voted for Brexit but swallowed the Labour Party's bullshit is a moron as far as I can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

The election results thread on 13:36 - Jun 9 with 1266 viewswaynekerr55

Is this the real Teresa May?

Actually, scrap that. I'd argue she's even more deluded than Bob!

The election results thread on 13:38 - Jun 9 with 1263 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The election results thread on 13:26 - Jun 9 by Kerouac

Corbyn and his crew have been successful in fundamentally changing the Labour Party and the centre of gravity in UK politics will alter.

Brexit will be bad for this country now as the EU will have the government over a barrel.
There is f*ck all point of having a Brexit which is not actually a Brexit...so f*cking foolish.

Our kids will pay.
It seems like it's just a game for most on here.

Anyone who voted for Brexit but swallowed the Labour Party's bullshit is a moron as far as I can see.

I voted for remain & labour

I would politely say to you , go f@ck yourself👍🏻

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The election results thread on 13:39 - Jun 9 with 1257 viewsHeadmaster

Ironic that Corbyn was called a terrorist sympathiser because of the IRA, and now we get the Conservatives in government with the DUP, a party endorsed by the Red Hand Commando. One might say a "coalition of chaos"...

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/will-may-be-terrorist-sympath
The election results thread on 13:46 - Jun 9 with 1241 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The election results thread on 12:17 - Jun 9 by blueytheblue

Seriously he's not

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024