Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 56494 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 15:03 - Jun 9 with 1636 viewsFlashberryjack

The election results thread on 14:24 - Jun 9 by sotonswan

I'm in a minority here, but I think a hard Brexit is even more likely now.

If it becomes impossible to get Parliament to agree on a suitable arrangement with Europe then none will be made. This suits Europe too.

I expect a lot of people on all sides to pretend to be very earnestly busy at negotiating with the EU whilst secretly knowing it's hopeless.

So hard Brexit it will be.
And Middlesborough will flatter to deceive as well. ;-)

There'll be no brexit now, the EU negotiators are licking their lips in anticipation of dealing with a hamstrung and mortally wounded British MP.

God help this little nation of ours.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The election results thread on 15:07 - Jun 9 with 1626 viewssherpajacob

May has said She will continue in government with the support of the UDA/DUP.

The queen said ok.

One snag, - she hasn't actually spoken to the DUP.

Telling porkies to the Queen?

Theresa MAo, hasn't changed, she's just ignoring the GE result.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The election results thread on 15:08 - Jun 9 with 1624 viewsLord_Bony

Mrs May will now be remembered as the Prime Minister who single handedly screwed up the Brexit negotiations....The most important negotiations with Europe in our lifetime.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The election results thread on 15:09 - Jun 9 with 1616 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 15:08 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

Mrs May will now be remembered as the Prime Minister who single handedly screwed up the Brexit negotiations....The most important negotiations with Europe in our lifetime.

Not all bad then.

The election results thread on 15:19 - Jun 9 with 1595 viewsmonmouth

The election results thread on 15:08 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

I think you might be getting confused with her getting a bigger majority or not having an election Bony.

May won't be involved at all in anything meaningful at all now, not anywhere. Everyone, including her, knows she is done and dusted. Imagine the laughs Corbyn can now have at PMQs if he wants.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The election results thread on 15:28 - Jun 9 with 1567 viewsGlyn1

So, every Labour constituence that Theresa May visited during the campaign (including Bridgend) stayed Labour? That's a bit rude of the electorate.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The election results thread on 15:30 - Jun 9 with 1559 viewsDarran

The election results thread on 15:07 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

May has said She will continue in government with the support of the UDA/DUP.

The queen said ok.

One snag, - she hasn't actually spoken to the DUP.

Telling porkies to the Queen?

Theresa MAo, hasn't changed, she's just ignoring the GE result.

I picked up on that at the DUP PC too but that can't be true surely?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The election results thread on 15:34 - Jun 9 with 1551 viewsJango

The election results thread on 15:30 - Jun 9 by Darran

Tories slamming Corbyn for links to terrorism. Have just formed a government with a party with links to terrorism.

How ironic.
Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 15:46 - Jun 9 with 1519 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 12:51 - Jun 9 by Watchman

Kensington & Chelsea Lab gain

This can't be true - I don't mean it won't happen, but they're doing a recount starting at 6 ish I thought so can't have a result?
The election results thread on 15:49 - Jun 9 with 1511 viewsploppy

The election results thread on 15:30 - Jun 9 by Darran

In the PC Arlene Foster said she'd spoken to Theresa May. Obviously they haven't had the in-depth discussions they need to have, but those are planned. Don't know how the process works re going to the queen. There was something on the BBC about 13th June - maybe that's the date by which they need to have guaranteed the support of the DUP and are able to form a government.
The election results thread on 15:49 - Jun 9 with 1507 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 15:46 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

This can't be true - I don't mean it won't happen, but they're doing a recount starting at 6 ish I thought so can't have a result?

yes- the smoke signals are a tiny Labour majority of around 20 votes hence the 3rd recount
The election results thread on 15:51 - Jun 9 with 1502 viewsLord_Bony

The election results thread on 15:19 - Jun 9 by monmouth

I think you might be getting confused with her getting a bigger majority or not having an election Bony.

May won't be involved at all in anything meaningful at all now, not anywhere. Everyone, including her, knows she is done and dusted. Imagine the laughs Corbyn can now have at PMQs if he wants.

True.

But what I meant was there was absolutely no need to have called a general election in the first place and she could have just started negotiations.

Now lord knows what form they will take now as she's shot herself in the foot.

Uncertain times ahead for the UK.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The election results thread on 15:52 - Jun 9 with 1495 viewsGlyn1

The election results thread on 15:46 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

The Conservatives had a 7,000 majority going into the election but the count was suspended after a recount with the Labour candidate a few hundred in the lead - according to a couple of Labour supporters I know who were there helping out.

For non-Londoners, and London Lisa can explain about this as she lives nearby, this part of town is so posh that shopping at Waitrose is considered to be 'slumming' - they have WholeFoods instead:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/kensington

So that adds another one to the Labour total.

The election results thread on 15:53 - Jun 9 with 1492 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 15:49 - Jun 9 by Professor

yes- the smoke signals are a tiny Labour majority of around 20 votes hence the 3rd recount

Yes - that's as I thought.

Although the first two counts Rudd lost apparently, and yet won the third by 300 votes so who knows who will actually take the seat. Not that it actually matters much I guess.
The election results thread on 16:03 - Jun 9 with 1466 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 15:52 - Jun 9 by Glyn1

The Conservatives had a 7,000 majority going into the election but the count was suspended after a recount with the Labour candidate a few hundred in the lead - according to a couple of Labour supporters I know who were there helping out.

For non-Londoners, and London Lisa can explain about this as she lives nearby, this part of town is so posh that shopping at Waitrose is considered to be 'slumming' - they have WholeFoods instead:

It's very wealthy, yes.

In fact, one point I haven't made is this. Every time people talk about 'sticking it to rich gits that don't care' they should remember that the more affluent parts of London, including the constituency I am in, saw massive Labour swings. I live in a road of nice houses, surrounded by people who are lawyers, or accountants, or bankers, or senior business people. I haven't met one who voted Conservative.

Some of the vitriol against people in this election has been really misplaced.

(Although the Ken High Street Waitrose isn't really slumming it you know - even Prince Harry shops in there and Whole Foods is crap for basics...)
The election results thread on 16:09 - Jun 9 with 1448 viewsGlyn1

The election results thread on 16:03 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

It's very wealthy, yes.

In fact, one point I haven't made is this. Every time people talk about 'sticking it to rich gits that don't care' they should remember that the more affluent parts of London, including the constituency I am in, saw massive Labour swings. I live in a road of nice houses, surrounded by people who are lawyers, or accountants, or bankers, or senior business people. I haven't met one who voted Conservative.

Some of the vitriol against people in this election has been really misplaced.

(Although the Ken High Street Waitrose isn't really slumming it you know - even Prince Harry shops in there and Whole Foods is crap for basics...)

"even Prince Harry shops in there and Whole Foods is crap for basics..."

Rich neighbours who might save £27,000 in university fees per child over three years can be bribed as easily as I can.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/09/daily-mail-and-sun-turn-on-ther

Take a look at the photographs of the first page editions of the London Evening Standard (Conservative paper - edited by ex-Chancellor George Osbourne who was sacked by May and is really taking his revenge).
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 16:14]

The election results thread on 16:09 - Jun 9 with 1448 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 15:52 - Jun 9 by Glyn1

The constituency also contains Earl's Court which would have stronger Labour presence as well as areas around the Westway like Ladbroke Grove which are traditionally working class-Clash Country.

There are affluent areas such as South Kensignton and Holland Park but it is far less affluent than Chelsea.
The election results thread on 16:10 - Jun 9 with 1442 viewsWatchman

The election results thread on 15:51 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

True.

But what I meant was there was absolutely no need to have called a general election in the first place and she could have just started negotiations.

Now lord knows what form they will take now as she's shot herself in the foot.

Uncertain times ahead for the UK.

exactly no need to call it and thats 2 such elections in 12 months. Unfit to govern if you ask me. Not thinking of the country

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

The election results thread on 16:17 - Jun 9 with 1421 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 16:09 - Jun 9 by Glyn1

"even Prince Harry shops in there and Whole Foods is crap for basics..."

Rich neighbours who might save £27,000 in university fees per child over three years can be bribed as easily as I can.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/09/daily-mail-and-sun-turn-on-ther

Take a look at the photographs of the first page editions of the London Evening Standard (Conservative paper - edited by ex-Chancellor George Osbourne who was sacked by May and is really taking his revenge).
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 16:14]

Nah - the rich would pay a heck of a lot more than an extra £9k a year if Corbyn's policies were implemented. Plus they don't care about university fees really, as they do see it as what it is, a 9% tax on earnings above £21k rather than actual debt. Rich kids take the student loans, not get their parents to pay - the interest rates applied mean it's not worth paying it up front.

People I have spoken to really disliked this version of the Tory party.

And yes, the first bit was tongue in cheek :-)
The election results thread on 16:19 - Jun 9 with 1413 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 16:09 - Jun 9 by Professor

The constituency also contains Earl's Court which would have stronger Labour presence as well as areas around the Westway like Ladbroke Grove which are traditionally working class-Clash Country.

There are affluent areas such as South Kensignton and Holland Park but it is far less affluent than Chelsea.

Ladbroke Grove is about as working class as Jacob Rees Mogg these days ;-)
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:35 - Jun 9 with 1378 viewssherpajacob

The next chancellor of the exchequer? (On the left)
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 16:38]

The election results thread on 16:38 - Jun 9 with 1363 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 16:19 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Ladbroke Grove is about as working class as Jacob Rees Mogg these days ;-)

Is there anywhere in London (except some of the SE) which is not now?

I only get to see central London in the main-I probably would not recognise Tooting or Peckham these days. Streatham was always a bit more posh-used to have Pratt's (John Lewis)in those days!
The election results thread on 16:39 - Jun 9 with 1359 viewsBytholWyn

There was a very insightful insider report on May on Newsnight by Mathew Paris on election eve. It was quite remarkable that so close to the election they had Eric PIckles on saying that Teresa May is "the worst person in the world to do a deal ": https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8

This comes as no surprise, given how she avoided the public like the plague during the election. Whatever her strengths people and negotiating skills aren't amongst them. And yet she will be heading up the most important and difficult negotiation ever conducted by the UK in its history (I just checked that comment for hyperbole - and I'm satisfied it passed the test).

Am I the only one hoping, praying that the EU will save us from ourselves by short-circuiting the whole fiasco of a negotiation by making some last-minute concessions on controls on migration to facilitate a new referendum, in the hope of a rational outcome second time? I know this is a pipedream, but left to the government's devices I can't see any realistic way the Tories will come up with a package that is in any way workable or palatable to the UK public. I really can't see how this isn't going to end badly. Please, someone out there convince me otherwise...
The election results thread on 16:45 - Jun 9 with 1348 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 16:38 - Jun 9 by Professor

Is there anywhere in London (except some of the SE) which is not now?

I only get to see central London in the main-I probably would not recognise Tooting or Peckham these days. Streatham was always a bit more posh-used to have Pratt's (John Lewis)in those days!

Ironically Streatham is one of the bits which has gone downhill.

Parts of Peckham and Tooting are very gentrified. Parts are dire.

As always, London has very affluent areas rubbing up directly with areas that are far rougher than anything most on here will have seen. Harlesden, Neasdon, Willesden are very ropey. Parts of East London (Tower Hamlets) are probably worst. Bits of Hackney are fabulous, bits are dreadful.

Most of the old working class areas don't really exist. Either one thing or the other now really.
The election results thread on 16:55 - Jun 9 with 1332 viewsHighjack

The election results thread on 14:23 - Jun 9 by WarwickHunt

If Labour had a more sensible leader she wouldn't have called the election...

Very good point well made.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024