Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Closing stands for certain games 14:02 - Oct 24 with 12752 viewsRAFCBLUE

In choosing to close just the Pearl Street, for the home game against Bromley I think we have missed a trick.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/october/fa-cup-bromley_confirmed/

I don't understand why in expecting a crowd of 2,000 and only closing that stand makes sense.

Surely the logical answer was to close both the Pearl Street and the Sandy Lane stand and get all Dale fans either in the Main Stand or the Willbutts?

Since when does it apply that opening 3 stands that will be not full be more cost effective than opening 2 stands that will not be full?

We're told the Willbutts gives the best view in the ground, so why not give opportunity to watch.

The seating pattern of the Pearl Street cand be replicated and spare seats sold as needed. Bromley will only bring say 500 maximum - easily contained in one block of the Willbutts Lane/Pearl Street corner with the turnstiles there.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Closing stands for certain games on 14:06 - Oct 24 with 7345 views442Dale

What this situation has illustrated is that the club need to look at making use of a fans consultation group, whether this be the Trust or something seperate, to ensure the decisions not only are easier for supporters to understand, but that customer insight is taken on board.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Closing stands for certain games on 14:14 - Oct 24 with 7318 viewsRAFCBLUE

Closing stands for certain games on 14:06 - Oct 24 by 442Dale

What this situation has illustrated is that the club need to look at making use of a fans consultation group, whether this be the Trust or something seperate, to ensure the decisions not only are easier for supporters to understand, but that customer insight is taken on board.

True.

But before asking for opinions apply a bit of logic. After all, in their own words they only expect 2,000 for this game which includes a following from Bromley.

I'm completely sure that if the dressing rooms and executive boxes were included in the Willbutts there would be no qualm in opening just the one stand of 3,700 capacity for such a game.

To compromise that so the Main Stand opens to fulfil the corporate hospitality obligations but only holds 1,800 (or so) isn't enough so then you need one more stand.

I'm not putting an argument forward for one stand over the other but don't get why two of the three remaining ones are opened. Three lots of costs vs two. It seems illogical.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Closing stands for certain games on 14:24 - Oct 24 with 7296 viewsKenBoon

The only thing that makes sense is getting their fingers out of their arses and trying to attract a larger crowd, but I suppose it is easier to just close a stand. I look forward to #barpassgate when nobody can get into the Dale Bar at half time (assuming it isn't hired out).
Closing stands for certain games on 14:47 - Oct 24 with 7250 viewsD_Alien

Closing stands for certain games on 14:24 - Oct 24 by KenBoon

The only thing that makes sense is getting their fingers out of their arses and trying to attract a larger crowd, but I suppose it is easier to just close a stand. I look forward to #barpassgate when nobody can get into the Dale Bar at half time (assuming it isn't hired out).

It'd be a waste of time and money trying to market this fixture. Admission prices have been significantly reduced, but I agree with 442 that a discussion needs to be had with a 'supporters group' on how best to meet the needs of both the club and supporters whenever fixtures of this type arise

A way forward could then be established based on mutual expectations and understanding, which would apply to all similar types of fixture whilst the current ground configuration exists

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Closing stands for certain games on 18:32 - Oct 24 with 6962 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closing stands for certain games on 14:47 - Oct 24 by D_Alien

It'd be a waste of time and money trying to market this fixture. Admission prices have been significantly reduced, but I agree with 442 that a discussion needs to be had with a 'supporters group' on how best to meet the needs of both the club and supporters whenever fixtures of this type arise

A way forward could then be established based on mutual expectations and understanding, which would apply to all similar types of fixture whilst the current ground configuration exists

I guess the pearl streeters will have a preference for their stand, as will sandy laners. Maybe we should all be thrown in the willbutts, away fans as well. The boxes could remain open.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closing stands for certain games on 18:39 - Oct 24 with 6952 views442Dale

Closing stands for certain games on 18:32 - Oct 24 by rochdaleriddler

I guess the pearl streeters will have a preference for their stand, as will sandy laners. Maybe we should all be thrown in the willbutts, away fans as well. The boxes could remain open.

That would be part of the theory around getting a supporters panel involved - try and remove the situation where individuals only look at how it effects them and to become more aware of the bigger picture.

I genuinely think that improving any situation is achievable using such a process.

Closing stands for certain games on 18:41 - Oct 24 with 6941 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closing stands for certain games on 18:39 - Oct 24 by 442Dale

That would be part of the theory around getting a supporters panel involved - try and remove the situation where individuals only look at how it effects them and to become more aware of the bigger picture.

I genuinely think that improving any situation is achievable using such a process.

I hope so, I'll go in any stand

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closing stands for certain games on 20:52 - Oct 24 with 6739 viewsDalenet

Closing stands for certain games on 18:41 - Oct 24 by rochdaleriddler

I hope so, I'll go in any stand

Club have an issue whatever they do. But historically season ticket holders could be first to get their usual seat. One of the benefits of being a ticket holder. Most won't get theit seat for this game. Why couldn't they agree a deal with Bromley on Friday and sell to season ticket holders on Saturday after the Bristol game?
Login to get fewer ads

Closing stands for certain games on 21:22 - Oct 24 with 6697 viewsColDale

Trust spoke to the club yesterday and today, and will be doing so again tomorrow. Will give update following tomorrow's talk.
Closing stands for certain games on 23:08 - Oct 24 with 6564 views442Dale

Closing stands for certain games on 21:22 - Oct 24 by ColDale

Trust spoke to the club yesterday and today, and will be doing so again tomorrow. Will give update following tomorrow's talk.

Good to know. Think the main thing is trying to work out a better way for everyone to minimise issues going forward. Something the club will be sure to welcome.

Closing stands for certain games on 07:53 - Oct 25 with 6411 viewsEllDale

Has it struck anyone that reduced prices might actually encourage people to attend who don't do so normally?

£7 for a pensioner in the Sandy might be extremely attractive to those on a tight budget.
Closing stands for certain games on 09:18 - Oct 25 with 6363 viewsfitzochris

Closing stands for certain games on 07:53 - Oct 25 by EllDale

Has it struck anyone that reduced prices might actually encourage people to attend who don't do so normally?

£7 for a pensioner in the Sandy might be extremely attractive to those on a tight budget.

That and the fact we are playing a team we haven’t played before (as far as I’m aware).

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Closing stands for certain games on 18:47 - Oct 25 with 6103 viewsbocadave

Visited the club today to by tickets for theBromley game.On the way out i noticed the fixture board on sandy lane is still advertising Bristol Rovers. Tinpot or what.
Closing stands for certain games on 13:17 - Oct 26 with 5916 viewsPhil

I saw the title of this thread and thought it might be about how a third of the home support were being moved from their favourite stand.

My mistake. According the OP we've missed a trick by not shutting two home stands and moving two thirds of the support.

Maybe having the Main Stand open is too expensive, and we should all just stand by the corner flag.
Closing stands for certain games on 15:26 - Oct 26 with 5804 viewsRAFC_1990

Watch the Dale in FA cup action for a tenner!

Oh no just do nothing and just expect the low turnout....

To me this game is more attractive than say Gillingham etc

Its the FA cup and a chance to play a team 2 leagues apart who we have never played before, usually makes for an interesting game one way or the other.

Poll: Halifax or Chorley? If any which game are you going?

Closing stands for certain games on 18:58 - Oct 26 with 5611 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Closing stands for certain games on 15:26 - Oct 26 by RAFC_1990

Watch the Dale in FA cup action for a tenner!

Oh no just do nothing and just expect the low turnout....

To me this game is more attractive than say Gillingham etc

Its the FA cup and a chance to play a team 2 leagues apart who we have never played before, usually makes for an interesting game one way or the other.

Too true......why are we expecting a low crowd?......The game is played on Saturday at 1500hrs not midnight......why would all our season ticket holders NOT turn out?

Promote the game...."Magic of the FA Cup" and all that. Yes,Bromley will not bring many, so what?

Agree it has more appeal than Gillingham we should be up for a good game,a good result and a bit of cash incentive.
Closing stands for certain games on 19:44 - Oct 26 with 5561 viewsD_Alien

Closing stands for certain games on 18:58 - Oct 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Too true......why are we expecting a low crowd?......The game is played on Saturday at 1500hrs not midnight......why would all our season ticket holders NOT turn out?

Promote the game...."Magic of the FA Cup" and all that. Yes,Bromley will not bring many, so what?

Agree it has more appeal than Gillingham we should be up for a good game,a good result and a bit of cash incentive.

It's highly unlikely anyone with any interest in Dale will be unaware of the fixture, and exactly where it stands in relation to their intentions to attend or not

The club could 'promote' this all they like, but I very much doubt it'd sway a single person to turn up who wasn't already intending to do so

That's not being in the least negative, just realistic. If I thought spending money on promoting the fixture would help, I'd be the first to advocate it

Closing stands for certain games on 19:47 - Oct 26 with 5553 viewsTVOS1907

Closing stands for certain games on 18:58 - Oct 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

It's common knowledge that this round of the FA Cup is poorly supported, except in the event of an attractive tie.

You only need to look at first round attendances up and down the country in recent years for the evidence.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Closing stands for certain games on 15:37 - Oct 27 with 5193 views442Dale

http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2017/10/statement-pearl-street-closure/

Closing stands for certain games on 15:51 - Oct 27 with 5174 viewsD_Alien

Closing stands for certain games on 15:37 - Oct 27 by 442Dale

A progress of sorts - and well done to the Trust for this - but real progress can only, as we've both alluded to, be determined by a more permanent solution being established for games of this sort, rather than piecemeal pronouncements

We all appreciate the need for the club to save on matchday costs whenever feasible, and all supporters will surely welcome this once the club are seen to be taking their views into account, even if the solution isn't the ideal outcome for everyone

[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 15:53]

Closing stands for certain games on 16:09 - Oct 27 with 5146 viewsfitzochris

Closing stands for certain games on 15:37 - Oct 27 by 442Dale

If the club does decide to open the Pearl Street after all, they will hopefully allow those who have already purchased tickets for the Main Stand to transfer them.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Closing stands for certain games on 16:24 - Oct 27 with 5125 viewsRAFC_1990

I sit in the Pearl St and dont think they should open it, I just think they should consider asking the trust before making decisions in future.

Come on we dont want to sit in an empty pearl looking at 3 other empty stands do we, get 2 stands nice and full, choice of a seat or standing up. Ill be testing the atmosphere in the Sandy, its nice to change now and again.

Poll: Halifax or Chorley? If any which game are you going?

Closing stands for certain games on 17:28 - Oct 27 with 5070 viewspioneer

Does closing the pearl street increase the chance of getting more supporters? No
Does closing the pearl street increase the chance of p***ing off any fans including putting them off bothering attending?
Yes

So why are we doing it? - well to save money - but we risk falling into the black hole of cutting back to accommodate fewer fans which itself leads to even fewer fans. The low attendance risks becoming self-perpetuating.

Bromley might not be the lowest attendance of the season so are we going to start doing this for midweek games against southern teams or pre Xmas games against poorly performing teams.
Closing stands for certain games on 01:41 - Oct 28 with 4902 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closing stands for certain games on 15:51 - Oct 27 by D_Alien

A progress of sorts - and well done to the Trust for this - but real progress can only, as we've both alluded to, be determined by a more permanent solution being established for games of this sort, rather than piecemeal pronouncements

We all appreciate the need for the club to save on matchday costs whenever feasible, and all supporters will surely welcome this once the club are seen to be taking their views into account, even if the solution isn't the ideal outcome for everyone

[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 15:53]

Closing stands for certain games on 09:55 - Oct 28 with 4804 viewsBass1

If the Pearl Street end is to be closed for the FA cup game then why not give a section of the Willbutts Lane stand to home supporters. As it is supposed to give the best view in the stadium, then let us Rochdale fans have an opportunity to experience that side of the ground.
Or is the best view reserved for away fans only?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024