Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President 18:42 - Sep 30 with 28222 viewsGloryHunter

Bit of a long read, but worth it if you're interested in the current shenanigans:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/01/07/how-mark-burnett-resurrected-donal
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:35 - Oct 2 with 1848 viewsSharpy36

'silent majority'

Just like here

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:40 - Oct 2 with 1837 viewsBklynRanger

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:31 - Oct 2 by CincyHoop

Probably not, unfortunately. The guy is way to much of a lighting rod (regardless whether you like that or not) and people are so far entrenched in their own viewpoints that regardless people will hate the man (and for good reason on a lot of things).

I voted for the guy last time around (not with pride) and will likely vote for him again. I despise him as a person, wish he would lose the twitter, stop acting like a child, and treat the office with the respect it deserves. I no way consider myself republican or democrat, and think the political parties have separated themselves so much from the actual population its a complete travesty (in my opinion).

I don't vote for him with any pride going forward, and I'm largely embarrassed that in a country of 300m+ people, many of them bright, intellectual, thoughtful, hard-working, and selfless, these are are my choices. A vote for neither is throwing away a right that many have fought for and died for and I don't feel like I'm in a position to vote 3rd party or outside of Trump/Biden, nor will I sit the election out (again in my own opinion).

As an aside to a previous poster, I refuse to try and impact others opinions and do not voice my opinions amongst co-workers. I do feel like there is a 'silent majority' and Trump will win, maybe not comfortably, but will ultimately be elected for 4 more years.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 16:32]

Cincy can you say why you're going to vote for him?

Would be very useful to hear - you're a kind of real life example of the complexities of the situation.

(p.s. Not too late to change your mind. As you say, the man is embarrassing the office!...)
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:42 - Oct 2 with 1828 viewsCincyHoop

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:40 - Oct 2 by BklynRanger

Cincy can you say why you're going to vote for him?

Would be very useful to hear - you're a kind of real life example of the complexities of the situation.

(p.s. Not too late to change your mind. As you say, the man is embarrassing the office!...)

Yeah - But I'm a bit strapped for time currently. Will circle back to this later this afternoon.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:47 - Oct 2 with 1819 viewsMrSheen

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:31 - Oct 2 by CincyHoop

Probably not, unfortunately. The guy is way to much of a lighting rod (regardless whether you like that or not) and people are so far entrenched in their own viewpoints that regardless people will hate the man (and for good reason on a lot of things).

I voted for the guy last time around (not with pride) and will likely vote for him again. I despise him as a person, wish he would lose the twitter, stop acting like a child, and treat the office with the respect it deserves. I no way consider myself republican or democrat, and think the political parties have separated themselves so much from the actual population its a complete travesty (in my opinion).

I don't vote for him with any pride going forward, and I'm largely embarrassed that in a country of 300m+ people, many of them bright, intellectual, thoughtful, hard-working, and selfless, these are are my choices. A vote for neither is throwing away a right that many have fought for and died for and I don't feel like I'm in a position to vote 3rd party or outside of Trump/Biden, nor will I sit the election out (again in my own opinion).

As an aside to a previous poster, I refuse to try and impact others opinions and do not voice my opinions amongst co-workers. I do feel like there is a 'silent majority' and Trump will win, maybe not comfortably, but will ultimately be elected for 4 more years.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 16:32]

Thanks again. I'm sure as an Ohioan you're aware of this already, but you have to wonder what makes a man go from writing this:
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/09/24/college-football-can-help-americ
to this, in five days.
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/09/29/author-apologizes-inside-higher-
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 19:01 - Oct 2 with 1718 viewsPaddyhoops

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 20:29 - Oct 1 by DiggertheMole

You didn't mention that Boris the Great's Father, Dominic "Eye-test" Cummings, Priti "Let's open Concentration Camps" Patel, Nigel ( I'm the Saviour of the World) Fartage, David " ( No you're not I am" Eyke, JacKarse ( Let's massacre the peasants) Greasy Dogg and Mark ( Let's get revenge for the Battle of Hastings) Francois were the other dinner guests. Corbyn would, by some margin, be the sanest at the table.

Every one you've mentioned and your spot on about them, as good a collection of c***..s as Ive ever seen commited to a post.
My tongue was firmly in my cheek with the communist remark but I have no time for man who voted hundreds of times against his own party in the commons and then expected them to vote with his crackpot ideas when he became leader. Hypocrisy on A grand scale.
You're right though I would have him before any of that lot. Mind you its a pretty low bar!
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 19:22 - Oct 2 with 1686 viewstraininvain

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:35 - Oct 2 by Sharpy36

'silent majority'

Just like here

Not sure it’s directly comparable. I didn’t vote leave but I understand Brexit and why people voted for it.

I still can’t get my head around the support for Trump, particularly after all the things he’s said and done. He’s not exactly a man of the people (born with a silver spoon in his mouth) and does anyone believe that he likes his average voter or would want them at one of his golf clubs.

I’ll be interested to see what Cincy says as it’s important to try and understand the reasons for Trump’s support to resolve the issues and see positive change.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 19:27]
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 19:52 - Oct 2 with 1650 viewsKonk

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 16:35 - Oct 2 by Sharpy36

'silent majority'

Just like here

He got almost 3 million less votes than Clinton in 2016. That’s not a majority.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:03 - Oct 2 with 1569 viewsSharpy36

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 19:52 - Oct 2 by Konk

I was using the phrase to sum up the political climate in the uk since at least as far back as the referendum.

To answer your point though, that`s how it is i`m afraid, as much as Ukip got over 12% of the vote in 2015 and got one seat.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:24 - Oct 2 with 1549 viewsCincyHoop

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 19:52 - Oct 2 by Konk

Alright, I really hope you guys aren't going to try and dissect something that isn't there, but here goes nothing. I'm also not going to go into a lot of specifics, I hope you guys respect this and as a previous poster brought up, at least in my family growing up, you don't really push your political views on others, and this is not what I'm intending to do with this post.

It is purely my opinion and I'm not qualified or educated, (enough) or passionate enough about this stuff to really give my opinion. However, that being said, I'm willing to give it (only because others asked) in a brief synopsis. Also, I apologize in advance as I'm not a grammar expert, so if it feels like rambling, its because I had about 6 beers at lunch to celebrate a deal with a Company that was just announced.

I grew up in a really small, farming community in northwest Ohio (Google it, its called Fort Jennings) and I wouldn't trade it for the world. No full-time cops. Doors left unlocked at night, no crime. You know everyone in town, and they know you, so there is a bit of accountability to a certain degree. If you messed up, everyone and their brother knew it the next day, by 11am after church. Everyone was a strong republican, or atleast 99% of them.

People in that area don't want government in their lives, they are live off the land type people. If you shake the hand of another man (or woman), that was business, not the signature. A handshake. We grew up so poor, that I actually didn't realize we were poor, because that is just what everyone else around me grew up like. Dad never went to college, he was laid off when I was 10, and started his own business to just pay the electric bills (I was so naive at the time I didn't know) and my mother is a school teacher for elementary school (6th grade).

We had nothing, didn't know anything, fat, dumb and happy I guess. Even the "great recession" that happened in, didn't really impact us, because I guess the poor is kinda insulated from such a thing.

I took a liking for finance at a pretty young age and must have generally picked up the concept of risk/return at way to young of an age than I should have (probably why I like Warbs so much). I go to college to study Finance and Economics at the young age of 18, never leaving my small farming village before. I take to it, do well (enough) in school and stay out of trouble. I end up landing what turns out to be a really good job at a rather large sized bank in the US. I do very fine for a 29 yr old, no kids, not married, generally do what I want (Traveled to London back in 2018 to watch QPR win against Brentford at LR).

You might get to this point and say, well where in the hell is this person going, and I think that is the point? I'm a "normal" 29 yr old from USA, I live in one of the most battleground states in all of the US (some would say the biggest battleground state), I don't regularly watch political news (however its nearly impossible to escape). All of my TV commercials are dominated by either Ohio or Kentucky (I live approx. 500 yards (take your meters and shove them up your @$$ (insert wink gif)) from Kentucky - Ohio River) and you literally just get so worn down and nearly immune to the political commercials.

I get to the bottom of this message and I thought, I didn't really even answer the original question? Why are you voting for Trump?

In short, I grew up in a very "yes sir" or "no sir" type of household. My parents are staunch Republicans, and that was always instilled in me growing up (fiscally conservatism, and we don't take $h!t from anyone). However, as you move to a more "cultured" society, you realize that not everything your parents told you as a young child is correct, and you don't necessarily want to follow in your parents footsteps, or share their same political beliefs.

All that being said, I also have my own beliefs, and I work for a really big bank, who would for clear and obvious reasons vote for Trump. And therefore, I don't bite the hand that feeds me. I'm so tired of people trying to ram their political views down my throat that you almost become rebellious about it. How many of you would want to hear for 4 straight years how you are "ignorant", "not intelligent", "racist", "You don't care about the less fortunate". None of those could actually be further from the truth. But who am I to tell you what the "truth" is? I will never tell someone to vote a certain way, or for a certain cause. Maybe that is just because how my parents raised me.

The real question is, do you vote for what you "believe" you think is right for the better of the common public, or do you vote for what would benefit you, specifically the most, and hope that is aligned with the general public?

*Please, don't come at me trying to dissuade me, try to influence my opinion or attack anyone else who might share similar beliefs. That's not why I replied to this.* I really value all of your opinions and I'm generally just here to educate myself and follow QPR. I just felt for some reason compelled to reply to this thread. Accept it, get mad at it, ask a billion questions, I don't really care. All I ask is that you don't ridicule me for my view points because quite frankly it felt awkward enough typing them out.

COYRssssssssssssss
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:32 - Oct 2 with 1536 viewsKonk

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:03 - Oct 2 by Sharpy36

I was using the phrase to sum up the political climate in the uk since at least as far back as the referendum.

To answer your point though, that`s how it is i`m afraid, as much as Ukip got over 12% of the vote in 2015 and got one seat.

Well, when someone refers to a majority, I take it they mean a majority and not a minority i.e. a majority being more than 50% of the electorate.

With Brexit, given the majority of newspapers were pro-Brexit and we’ve had Bill Cash et al banging on about “Brussels” Very loudly since I can remember, I’m not sure about the silent bit either.

Agree with you about the FPTP system and UKIP’s lack of parliamentary representation. Manifestly unfair, even though I think UKIP were/are a sorry bunch of cun ts.

EDIT: “Sorry bunch of cun ts” meant in the Scottish sense of “sorry cun ts”.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 22:17]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:36 - Oct 2 with 1529 viewsBucksRanger

No ridicule from me CincyHoop. In fact, I'd classify your post as the best I've read on this site all year.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:44 - Oct 2 with 1503 views2Thomas2Bowles

feck me CincyHoop
All we want to know is what's your favorite cheese

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:56 - Oct 2 with 1494 viewscharmr

Regardless of who the opponent is anyone who votes Trump really doesn’t get that he honestly to whatever god you worship doesn’t give a fcuk about you. The argument about does any politician and hence the hatred of Washington DC. Mitch McConnell is the puppet master running the show and he’s a nasty piece of work.

The wealthiest Americans plan is with the help of the Republicans seems to keep and develop as many ways to enable themselves at what ever the cost. The state of Delaware is a tax haven for example, who needs a Caribbean island. It’s a rigged game and their happy if we all fight among ourselves and feed of the scraps while being told, enemy’s are everywhere and look out behind you. Most of the US wants free healthcare and a fairer society. The ones who don’t are basically riddled with fear and anxiety about what’s the latest thing to be afraid of. Fear oozes through American society and its calculated and deliberate.

The only way to have any say and see any changes in the USA Is to stop buying their stuff. Buy locally and buy independently. Vote with your money and how you spend it. It has started but it’s still only a trickle.

The British comedian John Oliver has a weekly show and is not only very funny but very informative. You can watch him on you tube. Funny thing is the 3 shows really not afraid to tell some truth and offer substance are Jim Jeffries (Australian) Samantha bee (Canadian and John Oliver (Birmingham but a Liverpool fan)
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 22:13]
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:59 - Oct 2 with 1488 viewsMatch82

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 21:24 - Oct 2 by CincyHoop

Alright, I really hope you guys aren't going to try and dissect something that isn't there, but here goes nothing. I'm also not going to go into a lot of specifics, I hope you guys respect this and as a previous poster brought up, at least in my family growing up, you don't really push your political views on others, and this is not what I'm intending to do with this post.

It is purely my opinion and I'm not qualified or educated, (enough) or passionate enough about this stuff to really give my opinion. However, that being said, I'm willing to give it (only because others asked) in a brief synopsis. Also, I apologize in advance as I'm not a grammar expert, so if it feels like rambling, its because I had about 6 beers at lunch to celebrate a deal with a Company that was just announced.

I grew up in a really small, farming community in northwest Ohio (Google it, its called Fort Jennings) and I wouldn't trade it for the world. No full-time cops. Doors left unlocked at night, no crime. You know everyone in town, and they know you, so there is a bit of accountability to a certain degree. If you messed up, everyone and their brother knew it the next day, by 11am after church. Everyone was a strong republican, or atleast 99% of them.

People in that area don't want government in their lives, they are live off the land type people. If you shake the hand of another man (or woman), that was business, not the signature. A handshake. We grew up so poor, that I actually didn't realize we were poor, because that is just what everyone else around me grew up like. Dad never went to college, he was laid off when I was 10, and started his own business to just pay the electric bills (I was so naive at the time I didn't know) and my mother is a school teacher for elementary school (6th grade).

We had nothing, didn't know anything, fat, dumb and happy I guess. Even the "great recession" that happened in, didn't really impact us, because I guess the poor is kinda insulated from such a thing.

I took a liking for finance at a pretty young age and must have generally picked up the concept of risk/return at way to young of an age than I should have (probably why I like Warbs so much). I go to college to study Finance and Economics at the young age of 18, never leaving my small farming village before. I take to it, do well (enough) in school and stay out of trouble. I end up landing what turns out to be a really good job at a rather large sized bank in the US. I do very fine for a 29 yr old, no kids, not married, generally do what I want (Traveled to London back in 2018 to watch QPR win against Brentford at LR).

You might get to this point and say, well where in the hell is this person going, and I think that is the point? I'm a "normal" 29 yr old from USA, I live in one of the most battleground states in all of the US (some would say the biggest battleground state), I don't regularly watch political news (however its nearly impossible to escape). All of my TV commercials are dominated by either Ohio or Kentucky (I live approx. 500 yards (take your meters and shove them up your @$$ (insert wink gif)) from Kentucky - Ohio River) and you literally just get so worn down and nearly immune to the political commercials.

I get to the bottom of this message and I thought, I didn't really even answer the original question? Why are you voting for Trump?

In short, I grew up in a very "yes sir" or "no sir" type of household. My parents are staunch Republicans, and that was always instilled in me growing up (fiscally conservatism, and we don't take $h!t from anyone). However, as you move to a more "cultured" society, you realize that not everything your parents told you as a young child is correct, and you don't necessarily want to follow in your parents footsteps, or share their same political beliefs.

All that being said, I also have my own beliefs, and I work for a really big bank, who would for clear and obvious reasons vote for Trump. And therefore, I don't bite the hand that feeds me. I'm so tired of people trying to ram their political views down my throat that you almost become rebellious about it. How many of you would want to hear for 4 straight years how you are "ignorant", "not intelligent", "racist", "You don't care about the less fortunate". None of those could actually be further from the truth. But who am I to tell you what the "truth" is? I will never tell someone to vote a certain way, or for a certain cause. Maybe that is just because how my parents raised me.

The real question is, do you vote for what you "believe" you think is right for the better of the common public, or do you vote for what would benefit you, specifically the most, and hope that is aligned with the general public?

*Please, don't come at me trying to dissuade me, try to influence my opinion or attack anyone else who might share similar beliefs. That's not why I replied to this.* I really value all of your opinions and I'm generally just here to educate myself and follow QPR. I just felt for some reason compelled to reply to this thread. Accept it, get mad at it, ask a billion questions, I don't really care. All I ask is that you don't ridicule me for my view points because quite frankly it felt awkward enough typing them out.

COYRssssssssssssss

Thank you for sharing your views in such a candid, open and respectful manner.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:01 - Oct 2 with 1483 viewsqueensparker

COYRssssssssssssss

Fair play to you mate. If we could all articulate ourselves like that the world would be a better place. Political differences come from all sorts of places and motivations, people need to get that and stop making it personal.

I think Trump is an unspeakable man who conducts himself in a disgraceful way but I would gladly buy you a pint next time you’re over and debate this further.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 23:12]
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:28 - Oct 2 with 1427 viewsted_hendrix

Trump taken to hospital.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:28 - Oct 2 with 1412 views2Thomas2Bowles

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:28 - Oct 2 by ted_hendrix

Trump taken to hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54396670

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:34 - Oct 2 with 1402 viewsHunterhoop

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 13:40 - Oct 2 by CincyHoop

I've never lived outside the midwest of the US, but I've lived in a small farming village (400 people) and somewhere as big as Cincinnati. I'm sure its just the area I live in, but I don't fear anything near civil war like many have brought up.

Many of us just honestly don't care (as sad as that may sound) and are not politicized as the media make it out to be. Americans are faced between two awful options (cut off at knee or at hip) in my opinion. I don't think by voting for Trump means you are not for racial/economic equality at all. Just as by voting for Biden doesn't mean you are for racial/economic equality.

There is a general hatred at all things government (and probably rightfully so), and mostly a feeling of embarrassment especially given Tuesday nights debacle.

As someone who would rather be viewed positively in the world, instead of a country of arsehole, selfish, pr*cks, I hope we can all come together regardless of the outcome in a few weeks and just be better as a general population, not only to each other, but to our partners and friends around the world.

Mate, please think bigger picture here. Macro history.

Your issues, concerns and frustrations will exist regardless of whether it’s Biden or Trump.

Trump is solving nothing in another 4 years.

Once you accept that, it’s about who can do the most damage (potentially).

You have a centre right candidate in Biden and a candidate with no ideology, no coherent policy, and no filter, just pure narcissism. You wouldn’t hire someone to work for you or run your business, so why vote for him to run your country? The risk/reward is so blindingly obvious.

You won’t solve world problems or your kids’ lives with your vote but you can definitely harm them with it. Please do not vote for Trump.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:43 - Oct 2 with 1365 viewsGaryT

Like Traininvain I've been asking myself the same question recently and CincyHoop has shone a light on why some people will always vote Republican, no matter what. I've looked at the long list of things Trump has done, many of which would lead to any other President being forced to resign, and you start to realise that there's very little he could do that would cause his hardcore followers to stop voting for him. He even realised this himself when he said this...

I was going to ask CincyHoop if there was anything he could say or do in the next few weeks that would stop you from voting for him but you've already answered that. Some people will always vote Republican no matter what the man at the top says and does. Period.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:43 - Oct 2 with 1363 viewsRanger_Things

Trump taken to hospital.

Diagnosed with Democratic hoax.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 22:45]
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:45 - Oct 2 with 1352 viewsNorthernr

COYRssssssssssssss

Just to echo, thanks for taking the time to try and explain.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:45 - Oct 2 with 1350 viewstraininvain

Trump taken to hospital.

This is escalating quickly. Doesn’t sound good.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:47 - Oct 2 with 1344 viewscharmr

My wife today in her echo chamber hair salon just informed me all 15 customers that walked through her door either did not wish him well or come to a sudden demise. Funny thing is they all brought up the subject first. Hairdresser code, listen first.

The division is an urban and rural thing.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 23:11 - Oct 2 with 1272 viewsGloryHunter

Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 22:45 - Oct 2 by traininvain

This is escalating quickly. Doesn’t sound good.

Depends what you mean by good.
Donald Trump - the Brit who made him President on 23:22 - Oct 2 with 1252 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it fake news?He’ll be ok as the devil normally looks after his own.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024