Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dennis Butler 17:32 - Aug 29 with 7806 viewsCleedale

Great interview here...

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/august/watch_dennisbutlerinterview/
Dennis Butler on 21:50 - Aug 29 with 5524 viewslove_the_dale

Brilliant interview. I'm wondering if the interviewer was Trigger, though!
Dennis Butler on 23:43 - Aug 29 with 5450 viewsSandyman

Lovely interview, but...

Dennis's greatest moment here was surely his winning goal v Coventry in the legendary 1971 Monday afternoon FA Cup 3rd round game. The interviewer may have omitted this,(?) those who were there or have read our history books will never forget it.

Thank you Dennis Butler

UTDNFS

Dennis Butler on 00:02 - Aug 30 with 5434 viewspioneer

I wouldnt describe the interview as great, pretty ordinary/mundane.

Great and lovely to see Dennis and, on the face of it, looking well.
Dennis Butler on 01:08 - Aug 30 with 5370 viewsfermin

Dennis Butler on 23:43 - Aug 29 by Sandyman

Lovely interview, but...

Dennis's greatest moment here was surely his winning goal v Coventry in the legendary 1971 Monday afternoon FA Cup 3rd round game. The interviewer may have omitted this,(?) those who were there or have read our history books will never forget it.

Thank you Dennis Butler

UTDNFS

Why were we playing in yellow? I can't see that in our kit history. How long did we have that club logo for?
Dennis Butler on 03:44 - Aug 30 with 5338 viewspioneer

Dennis Butler on 01:08 - Aug 30 by fermin

Why were we playing in yellow? I can't see that in our kit history. How long did we have that club logo for?

In that era if there was a clash of colours both teams changed strip.....apart from in the final for some reason.

In round 4 we played colchester and again both teams changed ..us in the yellow strip and Colchester all red.
Dennis Butler on 08:39 - Aug 30 with 5229 views442Dale

Dennis Butler on 03:44 - Aug 30 by pioneer

In that era if there was a clash of colours both teams changed strip.....apart from in the final for some reason.

In round 4 we played colchester and again both teams changed ..us in the yellow strip and Colchester all red.

All the finals in the 70s saw ‘dark v light’ kit matches, probably to do with tv and the amount of black and white sets still about.

1982, Tottenham v QPR saw both teams change as apparently Spurs lost the coin toss but QPR still chose to wear their away kit which they’d won their semi final in.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dennis Butler on 11:34 - Aug 30 with 5059 viewspioneer

It was the first time we played in this ‘away strip’ and it was only on this strip that the logo appeared. Incidentally those shorts were blue, although on those photos they might appear to be black.

We didnt have a club crest on the home blue shirts for many years including the first season back in blue in 1968-69. Not sure when we started with the club crest on our home shirts but it was probably sometime in the 1980s.
Dennis Butler on 14:52 - Aug 30 with 4933 viewsTVOS1907

Dennis Butler on 11:34 - Aug 30 by pioneer

It was the first time we played in this ‘away strip’ and it was only on this strip that the logo appeared. Incidentally those shorts were blue, although on those photos they might appear to be black.

We didnt have a club crest on the home blue shirts for many years including the first season back in blue in 1968-69. Not sure when we started with the club crest on our home shirts but it was probably sometime in the 1980s.

1978/79, then not again until 1982/83 (which isn't shown on the link, but it was a red crest)

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Dennis Butler on 16:00 - Aug 30 with 4903 viewsEllDale

There’s now a good interview with Billy Rudd on the official site.
An interesting anecdote sheds some light on his departure to Bury which I’d never heard before.
Dennis Butler on 17:02 - Aug 30 with 4852 viewsarchdale

Memorable though the goal against Coventry was, when I hear his name I instantly think of his 30 yarder that flew in off the inside of the post at the Pearl St. end in the promotion encounter against Halifax near the end of the season in front of 13,000 plus.
He scored 16 goals from left wing that in 68/69 - a remarkable record.
He was a decent cricketer too and had a season with Rochdale.
Dennis Butler on 17:45 - Aug 30 with 4807 viewsmingthemerciless

Dennis Butler on 17:02 - Aug 30 by archdale

Memorable though the goal against Coventry was, when I hear his name I instantly think of his 30 yarder that flew in off the inside of the post at the Pearl St. end in the promotion encounter against Halifax near the end of the season in front of 13,000 plus.

My memory of the goal at home against Halifax was that it was scored at the Sandy Lane end. I was stood in the Pearl St end for that game. Maybe my memory is going.
Dennis Butler on 17:59 - Aug 30 with 4789 viewsspringfieldparka

Dennis Butler on 17:45 - Aug 30 by mingthemerciless

My memory of the goal at home against Halifax was that it was scored at the Sandy Lane end. I was stood in the Pearl St end for that game. Maybe my memory is going.

I think your memory could be OK because that's my recollection too , and I was in the Sandy . No guarantees though with my memory these days !!
Dennis Butler on 19:23 - Aug 30 with 4706 viewsEllDale

I’m pretty sure that it was at the Pearl Street End
It was rare that we didn’t play that way in the first half and I think that I remember Dave Shawcross hitting the post for Halifax at the Sandy Lane end prior to the goal.
Dennis Butler on 20:08 - Aug 30 with 4645 viewsTVOS1907

Dennis Butler on 19:23 - Aug 30 by EllDale

It was rare that we didn’t play that way in the first half and I think that I remember Dave Shawcross hitting the post for Halifax at the Sandy Lane end prior to the goal.

Observer report shows Dale attacking the Pearl Street End in the first half, which is when the goal was scored.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dennis Butler on 20:30 - Aug 30 with 4619 viewspioneer

Dennis Butler on 16:00 - Aug 30 by EllDale

There’s now a good interview with Billy Rudd on the official site.
An interesting anecdote sheds some light on his departure to Bury which I’d never heard before.

Yes, probably deserves to be posted on the own goal thread transferring him to the dark side of heywood. We certainly missed his influence in 70-71 season when we also lost Vinny Leech from a career ending injury. Taking those two legends out of the team was a game changer.

We got ex Liverpool player Alf Arrowsmith from Bury in return. He was at the end of his career. Scored some good goals but the team never had the same balance.

Foryounger fans the reference to the stand being collapsed there had been a heavy snowstorm and the weight of the snow on thestand roof caused it to fall in. It was the Willbutts lane end of the main stand - the only seating in the stadium. Seating capacity was listed as 450. It was fortunate it didnt happen during a game. As far as I remember the centre and Sandy lane end of the stand remained open, with the damaged part cordoned off. No health and safety officers in those days.

The roof was repaired over the summer and the stand was reopened at the start of the next season. Looking the same as before…awful.
Dennis Butler on 21:11 - Aug 30 with 4550 viewsEllDale

Am I right in thinking that we signed Peter Gowans as his replacement? One of many to come from Aldershot around that time, the Dick Connor connection.
And Hughen Riley stepped in for Leech so the club would have saved a bit in wages.
Arrowsmith was the makeweight in the Rudd deal and the club were desperate for a centre forward with Tony Buck having broken his leg and no-one knowing for sure how long Big Reg could carry on for.
Good job that David Cross had come though under the circumstances.
Arrowsmith’s finest contribution was his two goals against Oldham in the first round of the FA Cup in front of a massive crowd at Spotland.
Dennis Butler on 21:20 - Aug 30 with 4530 viewsD_Alien

Dennis Butler on 19:23 - Aug 30 by EllDale

It was at the Pearl St end, without a doubt

This was 'debated' a couple of years ago on here, but there's no question which end it was

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dennis Butler on 21:24 - Aug 30 with 4524 viewsmingthemerciless

Dennis Butler on 21:11 - Aug 30 by EllDale

Am I right in thinking that we signed Peter Gowans as his replacement? One of many to come from Aldershot around that time, the Dick Connor connection.
And Hughen Riley stepped in for Leech so the club would have saved a bit in wages.
Arrowsmith was the makeweight in the Rudd deal and the club were desperate for a centre forward with Tony Buck having broken his leg and no-one knowing for sure how long Big Reg could carry on for.
Good job that David Cross had come though under the circumstances.
Arrowsmith’s finest contribution was his two goals against Oldham in the first round of the FA Cup in front of a massive crowd at Spotland.

Was that the game when the Oldham fans invaded the pitch after one of the goals and two coppers on police horses came down of the Kop at the Pearl St end and galloped the full length of the main stand scattering the Oldham fans to the four winds ? I was laughing my head off at them at the time. Some of them were diving headfirst into the paddock in front of the main stand to get out of the way, it’s a wonder nobody was trampled.!
Dennis Butler on 21:31 - Aug 30 with 4514 viewsD_Alien

Dennis Butler on 21:24 - Aug 30 by mingthemerciless

Was that the game when the Oldham fans invaded the pitch after one of the goals and two coppers on police horses came down of the Kop at the Pearl St end and galloped the full length of the main stand scattering the Oldham fans to the four winds ? I was laughing my head off at them at the time. Some of them were diving headfirst into the paddock in front of the main stand to get out of the way, it’s a wonder nobody was trampled.!

Think that was the Rose Bowl pre-season fixture when we were in the 3rd tier and Oldham in the 4th, 1969/70?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dennis Butler on 03:27 - Aug 31 with 4384 viewspioneer

Dennis Butler on 21:31 - Aug 30 by D_Alien

Think that was the Rose Bowl pre-season fixture when we were in the 3rd tier and Oldham in the 4th, 1969/70?

Yes it was the rose bowl game. Chris Harker was in goal.

Bobby Downes was played in midfield quite a bit after Rudd left. Gowans played more of a forward role.
Dennis Butler on 05:02 - Aug 31 with 4369 viewsDiddyDave

So finally after fifty years we get to know why Dale sold Billy Rudd to Bury, he had the temerity to ask Fred Ratcliffe for a pay rise. A bit like Granville asking Arkwright for a few bob extra. "A pppay rise GGranville? You can ffff, you can ffff,you can ffff, oh just go away." What a joke, we were never the same without Billy. Sure Bobby Downes did well as did Peter Gowans, though he was a bit lightweight, but the engine room was gone.
Dennis Butler on 13:17 - Aug 31 with 4209 viewspioneer

Dennis Butler on 17:02 - Aug 30 by archdale

Dennis had good genes. Billy Butler, I think it was his grandfather, played in all three Bolton cup winning teams in the 1920s scoring in the 1929 final v Portsmouth. Also played for England.
Dennis Butler on 16:13 - Sep 1 with 3978 viewsEllDale

There’s now an interview with Derek Ryder.
He reckons that if the board had spent another 20k then the promotion team could have gone up again…..
Dennis Butler on 20:32 - Sep 1 with 3861 viewsseasidedale

With regards to the yellow kit, it was donated by Trevor Butterworth for the game, it was adopted as the change kits for years after that, and I don’t think we ever won in it! It got to stage were we looked at what kit we were playing in away and didn’t bother going!
Improved form followed when they changed from that kit
Dennis Butler on 21:28 - Sep 1 with 3809 viewsmingthemerciless

Dennis Butler on 16:13 - Sep 1 by EllDale

There’s now an interview with Derek Ryder.
He reckons that if the board had spent another 20k then the promotion team could have gone up again…..

I’d agree with Derrick Ryder. That team was the best Rochdale side I’ve ever seen. They played some great passing football, no kick and rush. Every player had a role in the team and they were a really tight knit unit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024