Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column 17:02 - Aug 24 with 11827 viewsNorthernr

Some of you may remember at the end of last season our regular poster Robith lost his father to cancer. I had a conversation with him at the time about the 'going back to Loftus Road' bit of the grieving process that so many of us have been through.

A few weeks later he got in touch with this piece, which he said had been cathartic to write in tribute to Terry, and it is absolutely my privilege to publish for him today.

You R's.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58345
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 03:32 - Aug 26 with 1328 viewsKonk

That’s a beautiful tribute to your Dad, mate. You obviously think the world of him. Glad you got to have that extra time together.

Currently sat at my Mum’s bedside in hospital with my brothers as my Mum is very close to death. Heartbreaking and I will miss her unbelievably, but we’re all very fortunate to have had her in our lives for as long as we have. I don’t have a football connection with her, but there are 101 things I associate with her, and I doubt I’ll ever walk past a half drunk cup of cold tea, or see a jar of marmalade without having a bit of a wobble. Trying to be philosophical and grateful to have had such a thoughtful, fun, and caring soul at the heart of our family, but it’s horrible watching someone in pain.

Anyhow, I hope you’re doing okay, Rob, and that you’ll get to a point where memories are more likely to bring smiles than tears. As A40 Bosh says, make time for your parents and let them know how much they mean to you. Glad you’re doing well, Paul Parker. Eastside - sorry for your loss and I hope the funeral goes as well as these things can.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 06:34 - Aug 26 with 1254 viewsozexile

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 03:32 - Aug 26 by Konk

That’s a beautiful tribute to your Dad, mate. You obviously think the world of him. Glad you got to have that extra time together.

Currently sat at my Mum’s bedside in hospital with my brothers as my Mum is very close to death. Heartbreaking and I will miss her unbelievably, but we’re all very fortunate to have had her in our lives for as long as we have. I don’t have a football connection with her, but there are 101 things I associate with her, and I doubt I’ll ever walk past a half drunk cup of cold tea, or see a jar of marmalade without having a bit of a wobble. Trying to be philosophical and grateful to have had such a thoughtful, fun, and caring soul at the heart of our family, but it’s horrible watching someone in pain.

Anyhow, I hope you’re doing okay, Rob, and that you’ll get to a point where memories are more likely to bring smiles than tears. As A40 Bosh says, make time for your parents and let them know how much they mean to you. Glad you’re doing well, Paul Parker. Eastside - sorry for your loss and I hope the funeral goes as well as these things can.

Sorry to hear Konk I hope you and the family are ok.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 07:55 - Aug 26 with 1215 viewsstevec

A touching eulogy, and what a blessing it is to have a football club as part of your family.

Made me think of things I hadn’t thought about in a long time. Too young to go in the early sixties my dad used to park up at night games in Ellerslie Road as I’d been attracted by the flood lights from our house window, he’d wind the car windows down however cold so I could listen to the crowd cheering. Our last away game was a 1-1 at Palace in 1993, remember it as looking back it was his first sign of illness, though I just thought he was slowing down at the time. We finished 5th, he thought it might be a rerun of the mid 70’s, a push for the title next season. It wasn’t, not that he knows, he died during the summer break.

I’d love my own son see us better that 5th place one day, that’s extremely unlikely to put it mildly, but what we will always have is the bond that is QPR and you can’t beat that.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:07 - Aug 26 with 1204 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 00:00 - Aug 26 by Benny_the_Ball

Having recently lost my mum that was a difficult read for me yet strangely cathartic. I hope that you found peace and solace from writing this piece, and wish you well as you embark on the next chapter of your life.

RIP Terry.

Condolences, Benny.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:08 - Aug 26 with 1191 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thoughts and love, Konk. Sounds like a lovely Woman x

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:33 - Aug 26 with 1111 viewsrobith

Thinking of you Konk, all power to you
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:34 - Aug 26 with 1110 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 00:00 - Aug 26 by Benny_the_Ball

Having recently lost my mum that was a difficult read for me yet strangely cathartic. I hope that you found peace and solace from writing this piece, and wish you well as you embark on the next chapter of your life.

RIP Terry.

I'm sorry to hear that Benny, but glad the piece provided something slightly positive for you
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 11:03 - Aug 26 with 1016 viewswestberksr

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 12:42 - Aug 25 by Northernr

Andy Sinton is such an incredible guy. He's doing stuff like that all the time. Turns up at QPR funerals too, as does Lee Hoos which never gets mentioned when people are coating him off.

during lockdown when they were doing the phone calls to elderly fans, my Dad had the phone snatched off him by my over protective Mum who is wary of scammers when he didn't seem to register who was calling.

They both ended up chatting to Sinton and it was a lovely touch by the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 12:53 - Aug 26 with 930 viewsnix

So sorry to hear about your mum Konk. It's very touching to hear she'll be remembered for those little things, like the half drunk tea.

The vigil by the bed is so very hard. Sending strength to you in getting through it.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 12:54 - Aug 26 with 927 viewsThe_Beast1976

Wonderful read
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 13:24 - Aug 26 with 899 viewscaptainmycaptian

Just saying football fans get a really bad rap some should point their detractors to these type of conversation. Well done all
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 17:33]
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 13:32 - Aug 26 with 876 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 11:03 - Aug 26 by westberksr

during lockdown when they were doing the phone calls to elderly fans, my Dad had the phone snatched off him by my over protective Mum who is wary of scammers when he didn't seem to register who was calling.

They both ended up chatting to Sinton and it was a lovely touch by the club.

Ha Ha!

That's lovely.

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 13:41 - Aug 26 with 842 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Best wishes to all who are watching their parents struggle or watching them getting ready to take the journey to whats next .
My Mother died of unexplained illness in 1993 ( cancer we suspect ) and as she lay close to the Promised Land a nun came in.She was part of the religious group who helped out and according to my brother and sister she basically jumped on the bed shouting for God to take her and they think she frightened the life out of her according to my father and she died soon after.I was in transit so did not see her alive to say goodbye.
18 months later my Father lay dying in the same place ( pancratic cancer came on like wildfire from nothing )and I was in transit but luckily made it for his last horrible night .
He grabbed my sisters hand pulled her close and said clear as day " dont let that fuc*ing nun anywhere near me " so they kept her away .
He died 24 hours later and hopefully they are re united since
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024