Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column 17:02 - Aug 24 with 11826 viewsNorthernr

Some of you may remember at the end of last season our regular poster Robith lost his father to cancer. I had a conversation with him at the time about the 'going back to Loftus Road' bit of the grieving process that so many of us have been through.

A few weeks later he got in touch with this piece, which he said had been cathartic to write in tribute to Terry, and it is absolutely my privilege to publish for him today.

You R's.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58345
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 20:09 - Aug 24 with 2345 viewsRatKingCole

What a wonderful tribute Rob. I lost my dad at 19 and have similar memories about my old man and following the Rs. You’ve done him proud there. I hope you and yours are doing well and may your Dad rest in peace. X
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 20:10]
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 20:37 - Aug 24 with 2264 viewspaulparker

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:14 - Aug 24 by essextaxiboy

Hope you are ok mate ?

Yeah all good mate thanks for asking

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 20:50 - Aug 24 with 2257 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Well that did me in, a brilliant piece and I can only empathise.
My Dad died just gone 3 years ago and God it was difficult, but you learn to live with it as you never move on properly.
My Dad took me to QPR from 1986 to about 1993 as season ticket holders, before I got a job there selling programs in the Loft (best job ever!).
I still remember my first game with him, 2-2 v Sheffield Wednesday in 86, sitting in the Paddock, Macca header and a Bannister shot.
We then moved to the Upper Loft, where Dad would, every game, explain why Wilkins was the best player on the pitch no matter who we were playing. Then in the car home we'd discuss the game, while laughing to Jonathan Pearce on the radio.
Years later we took my son to his first game, beating Doncaster.
Today I now sit with my son in the Upper Loft, about 4 rows back from where i sat with my Dad 30 years ago.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 20:56 - Aug 24 with 2246 viewstraininvain

Sorry to read about your loss, Rob. It must’ve taken real character to put pen to paper. I’m sure your old man would be very proud of you.

Also a good reminder for all of us to be kind to one another. You never know what people are going through and it doesn’t take much to be polite and friendly. We’re all Rangers on here after all (plus one or two Fulham and Brentford!).
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 21:41 - Aug 24 with 2188 viewsdistortR

That was a beautifully written testament to you and your Dad and Rangers, mate. Thanks for sharing it - my relationship with my parents was distant, I suppose I'd say, and your piece strengthens my resolve to have a stronger relationship with my kids.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 21:45 - Aug 24 with 2168 viewsted_hendrix

Rob, for years to come you'll never forget those 'magic moments' with your old Dad. you couldn't have written that piece any better.

Thanks for organising It Clive.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 21:56 - Aug 24 with 2141 viewsnix

A wonderful piece Rob.

I feel like I've learnt so much about your dad in just a few hundred words. He had a lot of character to be such a different father to the role model he had. My dad never took me to football, but like your dad, I've tried to make up for that with my own kids (who probably wish sometimes I'd never bothered!).

I read the other day about grief being the measure of the love you have for someone, and I think that shines through in the loss you feel for your dad.

Thank you for a very special tribute.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 21:58 - Aug 24 with 2142 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:40 - Aug 24 by paulparker

Your dad sounds a fighter and an old school kind of guy
Fair play to him for fighting it so long and with dignity

Your post around the sheff Utd game left a mark on me as I had just finished treatment for a brain tumor and was in a bit of a state physically & mentally, I echo your comments about sorting out your affairs before our numbers are called (get it done people)

Hope things are getting easier for you , time is a great healer

His last words were to the pallative care nurses about 12 hours before he died. They asked how he was and hours from death he replied "Yeah I'm alright".

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through PP, and I see from another reply that you say you're doing well. I'm glad to read that and I'm hoping it may long remain the case
Login to get fewer ads

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 22:19 - Aug 24 with 2099 viewssteveo04

This piece really hits home, I lost my Dad just two days after they gave him 4-6 weeks also due to cancer , we watched the Crawley game together and planned to watch the German pre season games but alas we didn’t get that far. The Middlesbrough game was my first ever game without dad since we first went in 1984 . Even after he passed and the funeral I didn’t really cry, soon as willock put it top bins my tears flowed.
It not the same I won’t lie but he never want me to stop going .
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 22:59 - Aug 24 with 2024 viewsdaveB

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 23:02 - Aug 24 with 2009 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 22:59 - Aug 24 by daveB

I've been holding it together all evening as everyone shares their experiences but I got to tell you that has absolutely done me in.

Dad wouldn't believe this, but mostly cos he could never understand what twitter was
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 23:15 - Aug 24 with 1989 viewsSydneyRs

What a beautiful story. Fantastic read.

The Auld Fella would be so proud. Many of us QPR fans would have Irish parents with similar backgrounds, who didn't have the opportunity given to later generations but still made very good lives for themselves and their families.

The line about whether the extra pint before the game was worth it really got me. My dad is still around but tbh I'm dreading this time coming and am not sure how I'll cope when it does.

One advantage of having an old, creaking stadium is the ability to go back and relive memories made there. If we ever move grounds that will be gone. Be careful what you wish for.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 23:18]
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 00:08 - Aug 25 with 1927 viewsNoelmc

Beautiful story Rob about your 'auld fella'. Your shared bond over QPR will stay in your memory forever.

My dad died over 22 years ago in December 1999, a week after I turned 40. He arrived from Donegal just after the war in 1947 and like most Irish men of his time was following Man Utd when I was born in 1959. However in the early 60's he made the key decision to move the family from Hanwell to Shepherds Bush and from our house in Oaklands Grove you could hear the roar of the crowd and I was hooked.

He came to the odd match with me in the 70's but started attending more regularly in the 80's and 90's after he retired and loved the early 90's team with Super Ray and Sir Les, who he thought was outstanding. In 1998 when he was diagnosed with cancer he was no longer able to go and he passed away 18 months later. However, even as his health deteriorated dramatically he always wanted to know how Rangers were getting on and it was our main topic of conversation during his illness.

He died having fulfilled his ambition that my sister and I would have a much better quality of education and life than he'd been afforded and I'm lucky to still have so many fantastic memories of him. Many of those relate to our trips to Loftus Road and it's great to re-kindle them every time I visit and pass our old house in Oaklands Grove.

Treasure your memories of your 'auld fella' and I'm so glad his ambition to see Charlie score a winner was fulfilled in such a fantastic way. RIP Terry.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 00:39 - Aug 25 with 1900 viewsdannyblue

Just want to add my gratitude for this piece, and pass my condolences on to you, and the others who have shared their experiences in this thread.

My mum (who in many ways was my family, until I had kids of my own) died in the summer of 2011. The unbridled joy of promotion and excitment of the new season was entwined with the devastation of her death to the extent that when I saw the joy of other teams celebrating their promotion in 2012 I bawled my eyes out. She was always rather bemused by my love of football and support of QPR, but she did come once to see what it was all about around my 21st birthday (we lost 4-2 to Charlton)...and left none the wiser.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 01:04 - Aug 25 with 1865 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Powerful emotional writing Robith just a stunning tribute to your father who was everything a person needs in a parent .
Irish people who emigrated were nearly always poor and mainly from the west Kerry, Clare Galway Mayo etc..Farms were passed down to the first son so everybody else had to go somewhere basically and England was the first choice .
The only way to earn a living was with your 2 hands and your Father was incredibly resiliant fair play to him.
RIP
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 07:18 - Aug 25 with 1761 viewsNushnool

A brilliant piece of writing, and thanks very much for sharing it with us.

I read it with tears in my eyes. The memories and connections we have with people, intertwined with the experience of going to Loftus Road with them, is what makes it so special.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 07:55 - Aug 25 with 1716 viewsEastR

You should be full of pride that you wrote that Rob, as your dad would have been that you did.
Maith an buachaill!

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:10 - Aug 25 with 1668 viewsMetallica_Hoop

That was beautifully written and I'm glad Charlie saw it and replied.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:26 - Aug 25 with 1673 viewseastside_r

Robert. I hope your Dad didn’t suffer too much and that writing that article will be a useful part of your grieving process. Is cathartic the word?

Just keep remembering those great shared experiences you had with him especially with QPR and Charlie Austin.

I didn’t have any like that with my Dad who passed away on the morning of the Charlton cup game and delivering his eulogy next week is going to be tough.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:36 - Aug 25 with 1654 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:26 - Aug 25 by eastside_r

Robert. I hope your Dad didn’t suffer too much and that writing that article will be a useful part of your grieving process. Is cathartic the word?

Just keep remembering those great shared experiences you had with him especially with QPR and Charlie Austin.

I didn’t have any like that with my Dad who passed away on the morning of the Charlton cup game and delivering his eulogy next week is going to be tough.

Much love, Eastside.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 08:45 - Aug 25 with 1627 viewsgazza1

Nice write up mate....I must say that Dad looks good in the last photo.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:45 - Aug 25 with 1553 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:10 - Aug 24 by Paddyhoops

Beautiful piece Robert and very timely.
My own dad is receiving palliative care back in Ireland at the moment so for me it very poignant.
I’ve been back and forth to Ireland on a regular basis in the last few weeks and I am dreading the call to say his time is nearly up.
Same as you my love of sport came from him and coming a from a small county (Roscommon) who punched above their weight at GAA and and still do , QPR was a perfect fit.
My “ould fella” never really had a team . As an immigrant here in the fifties and sixties and living in Boston Manor he went to as many George best games as he could fit in and he still insists he was at Brentford and Preston Knob end the night I was born in Chiswick maternity hospital.
It was the mid sixties so none of that staying with your partner malarkey.
Love your story and I love the fact Rangers that has Irish running through a vast swathe of its supporters.
Love your Dads.

I hope your father is coping as best he can, and that you're dealing with the emotions of it all however you can.

My politics are obviously left of centre, but my experience with with dad means my politics are now "let palliative care nurses live in Buckingham Palace"
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:46 - Aug 25 with 1552 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:43 - Aug 24 by JamieNaz

Hey Rob, very dusty in here.
Lovely lovely piece.

Cheers
Jamie (from DiS)

I'll message you next time I'm down to see if you fancy a beer

Hey Jamie,

Timely reply too, as I think Regents CC have just played their last game too :(

But yeah, drop me a line
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:55 - Aug 25 with 1534 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 20:50 - Aug 24 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Well that did me in, a brilliant piece and I can only empathise.
My Dad died just gone 3 years ago and God it was difficult, but you learn to live with it as you never move on properly.
My Dad took me to QPR from 1986 to about 1993 as season ticket holders, before I got a job there selling programs in the Loft (best job ever!).
I still remember my first game with him, 2-2 v Sheffield Wednesday in 86, sitting in the Paddock, Macca header and a Bannister shot.
We then moved to the Upper Loft, where Dad would, every game, explain why Wilkins was the best player on the pitch no matter who we were playing. Then in the car home we'd discuss the game, while laughing to Jonathan Pearce on the radio.
Years later we took my son to his first game, beating Doncaster.
Today I now sit with my son in the Upper Loft, about 4 rows back from where i sat with my Dad 30 years ago.

Ha, we always used to listen to Pearce in the car too. My imagination or he was more fun on radio than TV?

Thanks for sharing, it must bring some comfort to be carrying on a little tradition with your own wee un
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 09:58 - Aug 25 with 1527 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 21:56 - Aug 24 by nix

A wonderful piece Rob.

I feel like I've learnt so much about your dad in just a few hundred words. He had a lot of character to be such a different father to the role model he had. My dad never took me to football, but like your dad, I've tried to make up for that with my own kids (who probably wish sometimes I'd never bothered!).

I read the other day about grief being the measure of the love you have for someone, and I think that shines through in the loss you feel for your dad.

Thank you for a very special tribute.

Both my parents had pretty tough upbringings, but the biggest thing I learnt from my dad is that you don't have to be bound by your past. You can be different, you can make a change however small.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024