Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2023 Retained/Released List 16:16 - May 15 with 12017 viewsBrierls

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/may/retainedreleased-list-202223/

Some encouraging statements in there...

"Ten players remain under contract heading into the 2023/24 campaign and in addition, three options have been triggered. However, a number of players who remain under contract have been informed that they have been placed on the transfer list with immediate effect."

"Any player that remains in talks and eventually wishes to stay with the club next season would be expected to take a substantial drop in salary."

I hope it's at least three players on the transfer list.

I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a new contract for Kelly or Keohane, but we may get some value if they're on much lower wages.
2023 Retained/Released List on 08:17 - May 16 with 4255 viewsNewbury_Dale

After Jim talked about a closer alignment between Youth team and First team, it was disappointing to see the entire crop of 2nd year scholars released, less than a week later. The reason given; that there was a lot of good prospects in the lower age groups, also seemed odd. If a player is good enough to make the transition, what does it matter if there are other good players in the youth system ? Are we saying not one of those players was good enough to play Conference football in the future ? I'm struggling with that tbh.
2023 Retained/Released List on 09:09 - May 16 with 4150 viewsChaffRAFC

I'm struggling with hearing Jim say that those who don't want to be here won't be and there will be a change in culture, and then two days later we offer Liam Kelly a new contract, but maybe that's just me.

For me, Kelly, Graham and Keohane could and should all have been on that released list as well. Graham has been ok at times but with Max Taylor, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Toby Mullarkey, and Cameron John all still contracted, regardless of whether we want some of those out of the door, it doesn't make much sense to me.

With regards the 2nd year scholars all being released, I strongly suspect this was a case of trying to keep the squad small for next season. We have George Nevett, Brooklyn Bailey, Darren Ehimamiegho, Oscar Kelly and Kevin Dos Santos all having been involved in the first team this past season and that's without them having to go onto professional contracts just yet. We've seen over the past few years that offering deals to 2nd year scholars has pretty much been a waste of money when you consider the likes of Lewis Bradley, Jordan Scanlon, Harrison Hopper, Brad Wade, Joe Dunne, Matty Gillam, James Hooper, Nyal Bell, Joel Logan etc have never made an impact on the first team and not done anything elsewhere either. As much as I rated Joe Cunningham and Paul Kyffin from the 2nd years, the fact neither came through to a first team squad probably says that there are better options at younger age groups without having to offer a professional contract. When we're pleading poverty, unless we have someone who can come in and make a difference, it doesn't make sense to be offering £400 a week to a first time professional, only for them to be sent out on loan a couple of times before being released later on.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:42 - May 16 with 4071 viewsHullDale

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:52 - May 16 with 4027 viewssamueloneils

I may have missed this but has McNulty given up his playing licence? No sarcasm please- serious question.

With 13 retained and 4 in discussion, even allowing for some of the transfer-listed to go, it doesn`t seem to leave much room for new signings with a slimmed-down playing budget.
2023 Retained/Released List on 09:59 - May 16 with 3990 viewsD_Alien

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:42 - May 16 by HullDale

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

2023 Retained/Released List on 10:10 - May 16 with 3961 viewssamueloneils

One for the statisticians here.

Those players who have played at Championship level.

Diacourraga 115 appearances
White 90
Kelly 82
McNulty 65
Hendo 65
O`Donnell 41
Ebanks-Landell 35

Only 4 left, and I suspect ALL in discussions with their agents.
2023 Retained/Released List on 13:04 - May 16 with 3689 viewsTalkingSutty

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:59 - May 16 by D_Alien

There is ultimately only one thing that McNulty needs to prioritse starting from August and that's results, winning is the only currency that matters when you are a manager. Without wins you lose your job quickly and as a rookie it's even more important. So if he wants to be blinkered with playing the type of football we witnessed under BBM, or fielding a team of midgets in a giants league then let him crack on, it's his career that's on the line. I really hope he succeeds and proves a lot of us wrong, just playing some entertaining football and finishing around mid table would be more than acceptable in his first season. We will know after the first couple of months the direction of travel.
2023 Retained/Released List on 13:32 - May 16 with 3614 viewsD_Alien

2023 Retained/Released List on 13:04 - May 16 by TalkingSutty

There is ultimately only one thing that McNulty needs to prioritse starting from August and that's results, winning is the only currency that matters when you are a manager. Without wins you lose your job quickly and as a rookie it's even more important. So if he wants to be blinkered with playing the type of football we witnessed under BBM, or fielding a team of midgets in a giants league then let him crack on, it's his career that's on the line. I really hope he succeeds and proves a lot of us wrong, just playing some entertaining football and finishing around mid table would be more than acceptable in his first season. We will know after the first couple of months the direction of travel.

Pretty much what i'm thinking TS

The head-shaking is because he shouldn't even be contemplating whether he "owes" his ex-team mates anything - except perhaps gratitude for their companionship but otherwise the basics of professionalism should dictate where his loyalties lie

I get that's what he may have been trying to say, but it concerns me those thoughts may resurface further down the line

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

2023 Retained/Released List on 14:36 - May 16 with 3451 viewsseasidedale

2023 Retained/Released List on 13:32 - May 16 by D_Alien

The head-shaking is because he shouldn't even be contemplating whether he "owes" his ex-team mates anything - except perhaps gratitude for their companionship but otherwise the basics of professionalism should dictate where his loyalties lie

I get that's what he may have been trying to say, but it concerns me those thoughts may resurface further down the line

I have this feeling that most if not all of any new signings this summer will be loan players, they are cheaper as you only pay a % of their full wage at parent club (most of them anyway), think it will depend income, also departures
2023 Retained/Released List on 14:55 - May 16 with 3401 viewsTalkingSutty

2023 Retained/Released List on 13:32 - May 16 by D_Alien

Managers need to have a ruthless streak, no room for sentiment because they are the first person to lose their job if results aren't forthcoming.

I don't envy Mc Nulty with this job because he's on a hiding to nothing, the players he will be working with won't necessarily all be his preference for a start, he wont be allowed to have all his own way, no matter what he might suggest. A collection of people will be responsible for recruitment and the likelihood is very few of them will ever have played or managed in the game. I would imagine those sort of constraints would have put many potential managers off from even applying for the job, so maybe McNulty really was the best candidate available.

I'm assuming that when they get around to it, or feel inclined, the board will introduce the faces who are attached to this consultancy company to the shareholders and the fans,who they expect to purchase season tickets. It's pretty important that we know who the people are who will be selecting and signing our players for next season and we know it won't be just down to the manager because he told us so in his acceptance interview. Then again this is the secret squirrel club we are talking about and the fans as always are treated on a need to know basis. The more I think about next season the more it fills me with dread to be honest.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 17:34]
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:19 - May 16 with 3217 viewsEllDale

Unfortunately, after reflection, I can only see one of two scenarios here.
The first is that the team play play reasonably well and are in touch with playoff places at Christmas whereupon BJ gets a new contract.
The other is that by December Dale are flirting with relegation and knocked out of both cup competitions which sees him get the sack.
Hopefully it’s the first.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:41 - May 16 with 3163 viewsTalkingSutty

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:19 - May 16 by EllDale

Unfortunately, after reflection, I can only see one of two scenarios here.
The first is that the team play play reasonably well and are in touch with playoff places at Christmas whereupon BJ gets a new contract.
The other is that by December Dale are flirting with relegation and knocked out of both cup competitions which sees him get the sack.
Hopefully it’s the first.

The person with the most to lose is McNulty, if there is a failure you can bet it won't be a collective one. There won't be an acceptance of blame from the Chairman and the Directors, we've already witnessed that with this relegation.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:45 - May 16 with 3150 viewsHopwoodblue

2023 Retained/Released List on 14:55 - May 16 by TalkingSutty

Managers need to have a ruthless streak, no room for sentiment because they are the first person to lose their job if results aren't forthcoming.

I don't envy Mc Nulty with this job because he's on a hiding to nothing, the players he will be working with won't necessarily all be his preference for a start, he wont be allowed to have all his own way, no matter what he might suggest. A collection of people will be responsible for recruitment and the likelihood is very few of them will ever have played or managed in the game. I would imagine those sort of constraints would have put many potential managers off from even applying for the job, so maybe McNulty really was the best candidate available.

I'm assuming that when they get around to it, or feel inclined, the board will introduce the faces who are attached to this consultancy company to the shareholders and the fans,who they expect to purchase season tickets. It's pretty important that we know who the people are who will be selecting and signing our players for next season and we know it won't be just down to the manager because he told us so in his acceptance interview. Then again this is the secret squirrel club we are talking about and the fans as always are treated on a need to know basis. The more I think about next season the more it fills me with dread to be honest.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 17:34]

It’s scandalous, we’ve gone from a squad that was capable of holding its own in the third tier if we had played the right football, to being scared of coping in the 5th tier.I dare say most people on here would probably admit to not being surprised if we struggle next season.
It’s a crazy situation we find ourselves in after all these years of always being able to come up with something to get us over the line.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:10 - May 16 with 2982 viewsDale_4_Life

Some positives and some head scratching.

If we can keep Rodney I would have let go Jimmy Keohane Liam Kelly Sam Graham and with a heavy heart Hendo.

Kelly has been dreadful and looks disinterested.

Sam Graham is a nice lad.. fit and strong but he is not a footballer.

Hendo looked to struggle and performances dropped in the final 3rd of the season.

JK I am on the fence if he stays it could work out.

From me its a 6/10 for BJ first serious job to do. He could have shown a more ruthless streak if he backs himself to bring in some new blood who at least have the physical attributes to suit the National league.

Kelly, Graham and Hendo could all prove me wrong and have amazing seasons but they will have to find something that is a vast improvent in performance and attitide.

We just cant start 2023/24 looking like a boys team in a physical mans league.
2023 Retained/Released List on 19:09 - May 16 with 2849 viewsNorthernDale

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:52 - May 16 by samueloneils

I may have missed this but has McNulty given up his playing licence? No sarcasm please- serious question.

With 13 retained and 4 in discussion, even allowing for some of the transfer-listed to go, it doesn`t seem to leave much room for new signings with a slimmed-down playing budget.

Of the 13 under contract, I can Brierley being sold, I can also see the board accepting bids for players like O'Donnell, Mullarkey and Rodney because they will put money before the team. If we manage to offload John, Ball and Campbell that means the 13 will be reduced to 6. The 4 under contract may not sign, if they can better offers elsewhere, so the squad could be looking very thin indeed. Hopefully the board will reject offers for O'Donnell, Mullarkey and Rodney, but I would not put money on it or am I being cynical?

As somebody else as said, I can see the board and McNulty recruiting loan signings to make numbers up. McNulty said something on the line after the Stockport game, that the board want a style of football that would encourage players on loan from teams like City and United. Considering that we could not do this in league 2, I cannot see happening in the NL. The rest of the recruitment will be generic non-league players and players desperate for a contract.
2023 Retained/Released List on 19:26 - May 16 with 2787 viewsjonahwhereru

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:10 - May 16 by Dale_4_Life

Some positives and some head scratching.

If we can keep Rodney I would have let go Jimmy Keohane Liam Kelly Sam Graham and with a heavy heart Hendo.

Kelly has been dreadful and looks disinterested.

Sam Graham is a nice lad.. fit and strong but he is not a footballer.

Hendo looked to struggle and performances dropped in the final 3rd of the season.

JK I am on the fence if he stays it could work out.

From me its a 6/10 for BJ first serious job to do. He could have shown a more ruthless streak if he backs himself to bring in some new blood who at least have the physical attributes to suit the National league.

Kelly, Graham and Hendo could all prove me wrong and have amazing seasons but they will have to find something that is a vast improvent in performance and attitide.

We just cant start 2023/24 looking like a boys team in a physical mans league.

Graham was well thought of during his loan to Notts Country who were in the upper echelons of the NL. He is O’Neill would be more confident in coping with the drop down.
There are so many if, but and maybes with last seasons squad, let alone bringing in new faces. How many contracted players will do a Rathbone want a moved. Most if not all I would imagine, and sort of hope. Because they will be so demotivated before pre season training even starts.
Can see us having a squad of 8 or less a month before the season starts.
2023 Retained/Released List on 20:13 - May 16 with 2680 viewsscarrow

The only way the likes of Kelly (L) will stay if they gets no offers from League clubs.

Poll: Final position

2023 Retained/Released List on 22:15 - May 16 with 2523 viewsBrierls

Kevin Davies has posted on LinkedIn today, advertising his clients who are free agents. He’s also listed some who are under contract (available)…including James Ball.

I know it was expected, but that’s as close as you’re going to get to confirmation that Ball has been transfer listed.
2023 Retained/Released List on 22:23 - May 16 with 2493 viewsBrierls

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:09 - May 16 by ChaffRAFC

I'm struggling with hearing Jim say that those who don't want to be here won't be and there will be a change in culture, and then two days later we offer Liam Kelly a new contract, but maybe that's just me.

For me, Kelly, Graham and Keohane could and should all have been on that released list as well. Graham has been ok at times but with Max Taylor, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Toby Mullarkey, and Cameron John all still contracted, regardless of whether we want some of those out of the door, it doesn't make much sense to me.

With regards the 2nd year scholars all being released, I strongly suspect this was a case of trying to keep the squad small for next season. We have George Nevett, Brooklyn Bailey, Darren Ehimamiegho, Oscar Kelly and Kevin Dos Santos all having been involved in the first team this past season and that's without them having to go onto professional contracts just yet. We've seen over the past few years that offering deals to 2nd year scholars has pretty much been a waste of money when you consider the likes of Lewis Bradley, Jordan Scanlon, Harrison Hopper, Brad Wade, Joe Dunne, Matty Gillam, James Hooper, Nyal Bell, Joel Logan etc have never made an impact on the first team and not done anything elsewhere either. As much as I rated Joe Cunningham and Paul Kyffin from the 2nd years, the fact neither came through to a first team squad probably says that there are better options at younger age groups without having to offer a professional contract. When we're pleading poverty, unless we have someone who can come in and make a difference, it doesn't make sense to be offering £400 a week to a first time professional, only for them to be sent out on loan a couple of times before being released later on.

It’s not just you.

You can’t talk about culture and only wanting players who give their all in one breath, then offer Liam Kelly a contract in the next (no matter who reduced the terms are). It’s nonsense.

FWIW I completely agree with your comments on the 2nd year scholars. If they’re not going to impact the first team there’s no point in offering them a deal. Unfortunately there is no room for sentiment. If the younger lads are getting more first team involvement than 2nd year scholars, the writing is on the wall. The club were slated for not offering any pro deals in BBM’s final season, but that’s been proven to be the correct decision as I don’t think any of them have shone elsewhere.
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:13 - May 17 with 2007 viewsdavidab2202

2023 Retained/Released List on 09:52 - May 16 by samueloneils

I assume that as these players have a contract for the coming season ,we could not show them the door with out some sort of financial compensation. Hopefully the ones that are not felt up to being non league footballers will leave but without knowing the extent of the financial cuts they are being asked to take , some of them may well still be well paid non league players if they choose to stay
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:48 - May 17 with 1941 viewsHullDale

Nothing is ever certain, but this certainly reads like a farewell message from Lloyd on Instagram:

2023 Retained/Released List on 14:33 - May 19 with 1426 viewselectricblue

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:48 - May 17 by HullDale

Nothing is ever certain, but this certainly reads like a farewell message from Lloyd on Instagram:

It does come across that Lloyd is lookiing head elsewhere and lets face it that in his short spell he played better than the entire squad and who would have thought that he came back from a bad knee injury.

The lad as grit and determination by the bucket loads....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024