Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 101400 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 14:18 - May 30 with 2264 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Edit: wrong thread
[Post edited 30 May 14:42]
General Election Thread on 14:50 - May 30 with 2183 viewsStainrod

General Election Thread on 14:18 - May 30 by SheffieldHoop

We do. The reason they move profits elsewhere and pay their taxes elsewhere is precisely because we tax their profits at a rate the multi-nationals deem uncompetitive.

I think you are engaging in semantics. They should not be allowed to "move" profits generated from UK customers to IRE. They should pay the appropriate tax rate on all genuine UK profit in the UK. Baffles me that a UK citizen should applaud their tax avoidance schemes but of course it is your right.
General Election Thread on 14:54 - May 30 with 2123 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 14:50 - May 30 by Stainrod

I think you are engaging in semantics. They should not be allowed to "move" profits generated from UK customers to IRE. They should pay the appropriate tax rate on all genuine UK profit in the UK. Baffles me that a UK citizen should applaud their tax avoidance schemes but of course it is your right.

Isn't this partly why Brexit was/is so important?

The fact they're still doing it after Brexit is why people like me argue Brexit still hasn't actually happened.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 15:33 - May 30 with 2052 viewsClive_Anderson

General Election Thread on 12:08 - May 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can I just say Clive, that this is the best natured interaction me and you have ever had on LfW.

Long may it continue.

Cheers Baz same to you

Don't worry though I might still give you some abuse when I've had a couple of pints on Friday
General Election Thread on 15:34 - May 30 with 2052 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 12:40 - May 30 by Gus_iom

I suppose the thing about fraud, though, is you don't know its fraudulent until you uncover it - how lo g did this Bulgarian gang go on for?

According to the lunchtime news, and assuming I heard it correctly, this gang of 5 Bulgarians have been at it since 2016. The authorities have recovered £54 million but think there are hundreds of millions still to be recovered.

[Post edited 30 May 18:16]
General Election Thread on 17:03 - May 30 with 1924 viewsderbyhoop

For any business trading in multiple jurisdictions, it is perfectly legitimate to take your profits in the most favourable one. It may be they are doing inter group trading. If country A charges country B £1000, but country B sells for £1300, then liability is £300. What's to stop country A selling for £1250?
How, then, do you assess what the profit should be and the tax liability? Amazon & Google both have huge European base in Ireland (country A?).

I believe EU were planning changes to harmonise tax rates across the bloc, but, of course, UK would no longer be part of that proposal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 19:20 - May 30 with 1826 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 11:30 - May 30 by Clive_Anderson

Well financially there's not really a contest I don't think. Benefits bill is around £150bn a year and growing rapidly. Plus you've got the loss of productivity that isn't really taken into account and the endless population growth needed to solve the issue driving up housing costs which will make the problem worse in the long run as more people have to rely on housing benefits for somewhere to live.

Covid fraud was a total of £21bn for a one off event, which if you blame the Tories for will be solved in a couple of weeks when they get booted out.

Pensions are NOT a benefit, they are a deferred salary. Paid into and paid for whilst at work.

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 19:25 - May 30 with 1806 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 19:20 - May 30 by Esox_Lucius

Pensions are NOT a benefit, they are a deferred salary. Paid into and paid for whilst at work.

Pensions are officially a benefit and have been for some time.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 20:04 - May 30 with 1751 viewsMickB

Try the Greens. They might be slightly crazy and have no chance, but at leadt you will be on the side of the angels.....
General Election Thread on 20:42 - May 30 with 1703 viewsjohncharles

General Election Thread on 15:34 - May 30 by BucksRanger

According to the lunchtime news, and assuming I heard it correctly, this gang of 5 Bulgarians have been at it since 2016. The authorities have recovered £54 million but think there are hundreds of millions still to be recovered.

[Post edited 30 May 18:16]

A piss in the ocean compared to Michelle Mone.
Anyone remember Dido Harding ? Not in the papers,not on the BBC

Strong and stable my arse.

General Election Thread on 20:51 - May 30 with 1692 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 20:42 - May 30 by johncharles

A piss in the ocean compared to Michelle Mone.
Anyone remember Dido Harding ? Not in the papers,not on the BBC

You make it sound as if it's not worth getting the money back. I suppose their sentences are overly harsh too.
General Election Thread on 21:45 - May 30 with 1611 viewsHayesender

General Election Thread on 10:34 - May 30 by Northernr

I know it's not either or, and I know it's frustrating going out and slogging away for miniscule reward every day while other people scrounge (my first job was a sub-£15k annual salary with a 75 mile round commute on the M1), but it does always surprise me how much anger, coverage, chat this "benefits scroungers" stuff generates versus the fraud and the money being stripped out of the country at the top end through tax dodging, non-dom status etc by the super rich. Or the vast amounts of fraud around Covid, furlough, PPE - Michelle Mone and her like, who are sailing around on yachts never mind sitting around drinking Strongbow Dark Fruits all day. Quick £21bn lost to fraud in that alone they reckon. Or Charlotte Owen getting a lifetime gig in the House of Lords at 28 at our expense for reasons I couldn't possibly speculate on.

I mean, look at the money that's been stripped out of the water industry over decades, and the state of it now. We're 14 pages into this thread (which has gone pretty much as expected to this point) and nobody's really talking about how, in 2024, when we flush our toilet it goes in the bloody Thames!! Let's go for a nice walk by the river darling, we might see your tampon again. You go to the beach with your kids and your beer sht from the night before is there waiting for you. And those companies have bled billions out of that industry rather than invest in its infrastructure.

I don't know, isn't that more important, more financially damaging, to our country than somebody on a council estate with a big TV?

It makes me a lot angrier anyway. So much so that I've got involved in the thread when I swore to myself I wouldn't.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Had a couple of friends down the weekend. Had a lovely lunch down by the harbour here. There was a nasty looking foamy sludge being washed up by the lifeboat ramp that looked anything but natural.

It's a national disgrace, and downright criminal what southern water are chucking into the sea down here, and the silence from the masses is deafening.

You see people swimming in it, and allowing their kids to splash about in it. I wouldn't even dip my toes into the sea down here

Poll: Shamima Beghum

General Election Thread on 21:55 - May 30 with 1600 viewsloftboy

General Election Thread on 19:25 - May 30 by Watford_Ranger

So why do you have to pay a certain amount in or get credits if you are unable to work to be able to claim it?
I would have paid onto the system for 51 years before I get my state pension, it states you need to have 39 years worth of contributions so why can’t we get it once we have done the 39? I do a very physical job and am dreading the thought of still doing it into my late 60’s.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 22:02 - May 30 with 1585 views222gers

Just semantics. Call a pussy cat a tiger but it's still a pussy cat.
In no way should it be termed a benefit when discussed alongside things like Universal Credit.
General Election Thread on 22:16 - May 30 with 1546 viewsCiderwithRsie

The meaning of the word "benefit" is not a matter of debate or philosophical discussion, it is a legal term defined in Acts of Parliament, for example (from the Social Security Act 1998, including subsequent amendments:)

In this Chapter “relevant benefit” F42... means any of the following, namely—

(a)benefit under Parts II to V of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

[F43(aa)universal credit;]

[F44(ab)state pension or a lump sum under Part 1 of the Pensions Act 2014;]

[F45(ac)bereavement support payment under section 30 of the Pensions Act 2014;]

(b)a jobseeker’s allowance;

[F46(ba)an employment and support allowance;]

[F47(baa)personal independence payment;]

[F48(bb)state pension credit;]

[F49(bc)a loan under section 18 of the Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016;]

(c)income support;

F50(d). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

F50(e). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(f)a social fund payment mentioned in section 138(1)(a) or (2) of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(g)child benefit;

(h)such other benefit as may be prescribed."
General Election Thread on 22:21 - May 30 with 1529 views222gers

General Election Thread on 22:16 - May 30 by CiderwithRsie

The meaning of the word "benefit" is not a matter of debate or philosophical discussion, it is a legal term defined in Acts of Parliament, for example (from the Social Security Act 1998, including subsequent amendments:)

(c)income support;

(f)a social fund payment mentioned in section 138(1)(a) or (2) of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(g)child benefit;

So what term was used for pensions pre 2014 I wonder ? And what caused the pension to have a different nomenclature ?
General Election Thread on 22:25 - May 30 with 1513 viewscolinallcars

General Election Thread on 22:21 - May 30 by 222gers

So what term was used for pensions pre 2014 I wonder ? And what caused the pension to have a different nomenclature ?

My guess would be……call it a benefit and it could be subject to cuts. That said there is the Triple Lock in place. Puzzling.
General Election Thread on 22:31 - May 30 with 1495 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 22:25 - May 30 by colinallcars

My guess would be……call it a benefit and it could be subject to cuts. That said there is the Triple Lock in place. Puzzling.

The triple lock was suspended by Sunak for 2022/23 so you can't trust the Conservatives not to do that again.
General Election Thread on 22:35 - May 30 with 1494 views222gers

General Election Thread on 22:25 - May 30 by colinallcars

Quick history lesson….when the old age pension, as it used to be called, was introduced in 1910 ( I was just a kid then ), it was called ninepence for fourpence which referred to the ratio of money paid in to money paid out.
Right, I've got tuppence left in me pocket, just up to the pub for 2 pints.
General Election Thread on 23:20 - May 30 with 1425 viewsDannyPaddox

General Election Thread on 13:17 - May 30 by SheffieldHoop

Isn't this also partly a result of us just experiencing the wettest winter on record? Along with a booming population. More people = More sewage.

We all have a quintessential post - and here’s yours - you’re literally a shît apologist.
General Election Thread on 00:00 - May 31 with 1374 viewsFredManRave

General Election Thread on 22:16 - May 30 by CiderwithRsie

(c)income support;

(g)child benefit;

Not 100% convinced that's correct, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

General Election Thread on 01:19 - May 31 with 1302 viewsjohncharles

General Election Thread on 20:51 - May 30 by BucksRanger

You make it sound as if it's not worth getting the money back. I suppose their sentences are overly harsh too.

Bollox, you know what I mean

Strong and stable my arse.

General Election Thread on 03:44 - May 31 with 1249 viewsSonofNorfolt

Having just spent a while reading all the posts on this thread, many eloquent, salient comments and surprisingly non-aggressive statements on a subject matter that is, whether one likes it or not, is incredibly important to our everyday lives unless you're domiciled on a tax haven in St Kitts, I'm now telling it as it is.
If you believe that the Tories have delivered anything, even remotely fair to the majority of people in this country then you're wrong.
Can you honestly, in your heart of hearts, put an X in the box of your local Conservative candidate and believe that it's in your best interest?
Johnson, Truss, Sunak, really? Touch your forelock peasants and be happy with the defunding of all the privileges that make our lives even remotely bearable.
Starmer's Labour will win of course, barring a major national aneurism, more acceptable, not by much, soon to discover that victory comes with the realisation that not much can be changed for the better without gigantic borrowing from the American Empire, funded by the Chinese, built on sand.
Now for the part where I make more enemies, as if I care, because I have no more alcohol to hand without going down to the all night garage.
No Church, no Conservatives and no Fulham Broadway. Ever. The latter is actually far more important.
Someone kick Michael Gove, Toby Young and Nadine Dorries in the kunt as well.....
General Election Thread on 08:24 - May 31 with 1090 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 03:44 - May 31 by SonofNorfolt

Having just spent a while reading all the posts on this thread, many eloquent, salient comments and surprisingly non-aggressive statements on a subject matter that is, whether one likes it or not, is incredibly important to our everyday lives unless you're domiciled on a tax haven in St Kitts, I'm now telling it as it is.
If you believe that the Tories have delivered anything, even remotely fair to the majority of people in this country then you're wrong.
Can you honestly, in your heart of hearts, put an X in the box of your local Conservative candidate and believe that it's in your best interest?
Johnson, Truss, Sunak, really? Touch your forelock peasants and be happy with the defunding of all the privileges that make our lives even remotely bearable.
Starmer's Labour will win of course, barring a major national aneurism, more acceptable, not by much, soon to discover that victory comes with the realisation that not much can be changed for the better without gigantic borrowing from the American Empire, funded by the Chinese, built on sand.
Now for the part where I make more enemies, as if I care, because I have no more alcohol to hand without going down to the all night garage.
No Church, no Conservatives and no Fulham Broadway. Ever. The latter is actually far more important.
Someone kick Michael Gove, Toby Young and Nadine Dorries in the kunt as well.....

Don't forget Braverman and Patel.
General Election Thread on 09:03 - May 31 with 1002 viewsEsox_Lucius

That was my point! Just because legislation was brought in to redefine the terminology does not mean that pensions aren't a paid for deferred salary. This was always a point in annual salary negotiations, that some of the company's profits would be used to fund the employers contribution, along with the employee, to provide for a pension upon retirement.
It is NOT a benefit no matter what the government says.

The grass is always greener.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024