Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 91316 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 09:20 - May 26 with 2178 viewscolinallcars

The Tories want to bring back National Service. Marvellous !
“ nah then Jadon, you're an ‘orrible little man, what are yer? “
“ 'orrible little man sarge “
General Election Thread on 09:43 - May 26 with 2114 viewsSpaceman_P

General Election Thread on 09:20 - May 26 by colinallcars

and after when the Sargent gets knifed in the neck, it'll be heralded a total failure.
General Election Thread on 10:05 - May 26 with 2043 viewscolinallcars

General Election Thread on 09:43 - May 26 by Spaceman_P

and after when the Sargent gets knifed in the neck, it'll be heralded a total failure.

It's just a gimmick really, no chance of it ever coming about.
General Election Thread on 10:12 - May 26 with 2033 viewsPlanetHonneywood

General Election Thread on 09:20 - May 26 by colinallcars

What the fcuk are these idiots thinking?

What they should have suggested, is a year of volunteering with some form of 'social credits' paid to the volunteer.

This could be something like: a lump sum into your pension (imagine if say, £5k was put into an 18 year old's pension pot); a reduction in university/training course fees; a pathway/guaranteed job in the civil service; waiver on passport/driving licence fees for life; or such like.

Just I'll conceived, probably unbudgeted nonsense. They clearly have forgotten that one reason NS was abandoned was because many weren't putting a shift in and it was a waste of money! And that was at a time of more social cohesion too!

Utter tomfoolery which, if you dig a little deeper, is probably an attempt at getting cheap labour!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

General Election Thread on 10:29 - May 26 with 1999 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 10:12 - May 26 by PlanetHonneywood

What they should have suggested, is a year of volunteering with some form of 'social credits' paid to the volunteer.

This could be something like: a lump sum into your pension (imagine if say, £5k was put into an 18 year old's pension pot); a reduction in university/training course fees; a pathway/guaranteed job in the civil service; waiver on passport/driving licence fees for life; or such like.

Just I'll conceived, probably unbudgeted nonsense. They clearly have forgotten that one reason NS was abandoned was because many weren't putting a shift in and it was a waste of money! And that was at a time of more social cohesion too!

Utter tomfoolery which, if you dig a little deeper, is probably an attempt at getting cheap labour!!

Doubt he’s consulted any of the people he’d have to to get some idea of how this would work. Just nonsense made up off the back of a panicked meeting and maybe a couple of focus groups to desperately woo a few Express readers.
General Election Thread on 10:40 - May 26 with 1970 viewsPlanetHonneywood

General Election Thread on 10:29 - May 26 by Watford_Ranger

Doubt he’s consulted any of the people he’d have to to get some idea of how this would work. Just nonsense made up off the back of a panicked meeting and maybe a couple of focus groups to desperately woo a few Express readers.

I think you're right. Imagine our armed services with Rishi Washy types on the front.

Its Mike Bassett politics at its best!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

General Election Thread on 10:55 - May 26 with 1937 viewsderbyhoop

It sounds like something dreamt up to appease the Tory members and base. The vast majority of whom are far too old to have done NS before.
Many of the armed forces don't want it either.

Now, if they could do meaningful community work, it might have some merit. But v limited.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 11:34 - May 26 with 1859 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 10:55 - May 26 by derbyhoop

It sounds like something dreamt up to appease the Tory members and base. The vast majority of whom are far too old to have done NS before.
Many of the armed forces don't want it either.

Now, if they could do meaningful community work, it might have some merit. But v limited.

Your right IMO

They could have called it Civic Service or Citizenship Year .

A year of learning how to cook , manage money , basic householder knowledge, helping at public events , interview skills , a mild fitness and nutrition programme. Involvment with initiatives like the Kiyan Prince foundation A preparation for life outside of education. .

....and mix em up so they are not with their mates

Parents should be re assured that it doesnt involve combat religion or politics .

Edit Planet H suggestion of social credits for attendance and engagement is a great one IMO
[Post edited 26 May 11:37]
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 12:00 - May 26 with 1819 viewshamptonhillhoop

It's very telling that people on this messageboard have come up with better ideas within a couple of hours than a government that's been in power for fourteen years
General Election Thread on 12:49 - May 26 with 1753 viewsstevec

General Election Thread on 10:12 - May 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Social credits is a brilliant idea.

You wonder who’s advising this idiot, it’s as if they want to get obliterated at the polls.

As it stands, there’s a huge chasm between spending a year in the armed forces and doing a bit of community work at the weekend and once a month at that. And how easy is it going to be to duck it altogether, can someone be allowed to refuse to do it on something like religious grounds?!

Sunak keeps banging on about grave threats to society, but never states specific threats. Either shut up or spell it out and stop talking in riddles.
General Election Thread on 12:58 - May 26 with 1744 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 12:49 - May 26 by stevec

You wonder who’s advising this idiot, it’s as if they want to get obliterated at the polls.

As it stands, there’s a huge chasm between spending a year in the armed forces and doing a bit of community work at the weekend and once a month at that. And how easy is it going to be to duck it altogether, can someone be allowed to refuse to do it on something like religious grounds?!

Sunak keeps banging on about grave threats to society, but never states specific threats. Either shut up or spell it out and stop talking in riddles.

IMO the most worrying threat to society is illustrated by the recent episode in parliament when the Speaker changed the normal protocol of allowing amendment votes because it was obvious that some MPs had been threatened .
Once you allow non elected , non accountable violent people setting the agenda for a freely elected parliament all this election chat is worthless .
General Election Thread on 13:16 - May 26 with 1717 viewsderbyhoop

What do you do about those 18yo with a university place or a job lined up?
What happens to those who fail to comply with, what for a Tory party is a highly illiberal proposal?
How's it going to be paid for? Clamping down on tax avoidance has been Govt proposals for years. Or, diverting funds from an area that already has reduced post-Brexit funding.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 13:32 - May 26 with 1681 viewsLanhoop

General Election Thread on 11:34 - May 26 by essextaxiboy

Your right IMO

They could have called it Civic Service or Citizenship Year .

A year of learning how to cook , manage money , basic householder knowledge, helping at public events , interview skills , a mild fitness and nutrition programme. Involvment with initiatives like the Kiyan Prince foundation A preparation for life outside of education. .

....and mix em up so they are not with their mates

Parents should be re assured that it doesnt involve combat religion or politics .

Edit Planet H suggestion of social credits for attendance and engagement is a great one IMO
[Post edited 26 May 11:37]

Not a year but this already exists. Cameron introduced it I believe. It's called NCS and is done over a few weeks for 16 year olds. My kids both did it.
https://wearencs.com/

This nonsense they are talking about today just shows how clueless they really are. It's unworkable and everyone knows it. It's just to take attention away from their awful start to the election campaign. Don't fall for it.
General Election Thread on 13:33 - May 26 with 1680 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 07:29 - May 25 by HAYESBOY

78 Tories stepping down at this election. Didn't realise it was that much.
Probably more to follow.

I would say, rats on a sinking ship, but at this rate they will need an aircraft carrier.

Food for thought rather than confirmed fact; the MP's leaving in droves could well be concerned about getting caught up in legal action resulting from the legality of the Rwanda bills that were pushed through. There is also the spectre of the ICCJ involvement in the prosection of Netanyahu et al. The UK are involved in the manufacture and supply of armaments to Israel, along with the US, which could be deemed culpability in the charges.against Israel. Most of those leaving could be quite likely putting as much distance between themselves and appearances in court.
[Post edited 26 May 17:17]

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 13:45 - May 26 with 1658 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 13:33 - May 26 by Esox_Lucius

Food for thought rather than confirmed fact; the MP's leaving in droves could well be concerned about getting caught up in legal action resulting from the legality of the Rwanda bills that were pushed through. There is also the spectre of the ICCJ involvement in the prosection of Netanyahu et al. The UK are involved in the manufacture and supply of armaments to Israel, along with the US, which could be deemed culpability in the charges.against Israel. Most of those leaving could be quite likely putting as much distance between themselves and appearances in court.
[Post edited 26 May 17:17]

I think most would just rather avoid the embarrassment and have something cushy lined up.
General Election Thread on 15:30 - May 26 with 1537 viewskensalriser

General Election Thread on 12:58 - May 26 by essextaxiboy

IMO the most worrying threat to society is illustrated by the recent episode in parliament when the Speaker changed the normal protocol of allowing amendment votes because it was obvious that some MPs had been threatened .
Once you allow non elected , non accountable violent people setting the agenda for a freely elected parliament all this election chat is worthless .

Non elected, non accountable people are setting the agenda. It's what the dark money funded 'think thanks' (aka political lobbying organisations) at 55 Tufton St are all about.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

General Election Thread on 20:51 - May 26 with 1354 viewsbaz_qpr

Interesting reading through the posts about who to vote for, the bottom line is in our Electoral system of first past the post you either vote for the incumbent or you vote for the candidate most likely to beat the incumbent that you can just about weather.

The reality is that in our system, for their to be a change in government, you have to win voters from the other side, so Blair won 97 by leaning right, Cameron 2010 by leaning left and Starmer can only win by leaning right. Even Thatcher toned it down in 79. Then each government will move over time towards its membership (right or left) initially with a few bones and if they win again more and more so.

So lefties bemoaning Starmer having moved to the right or not being pure enough have to recognise that a "workers" party vote is essentially a vote for the tories and at the other end of the scale the same for Reform / labour. Until we change our voting system that is the essence of it.

I want a change of government, this one is useless and corrupt, in my constituency only one other party can win, I'm a member of another party but I'll vote for whoever can beat the tories
General Election Thread on 20:59 - May 26 with 1346 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Welcome to the club comrade : )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34592186
[Post edited 26 May 21:12]
General Election Thread on 00:50 - May 27 with 1206 viewsloftupper

I’d make the boomers do it! Get them to give something back, however little, for all the advantages they had that the youngest generation will never get.
General Election Thread on 04:16 - May 27 with 1147 viewsPlanetHonneywood

General Election Thread on 00:50 - May 27 by loftupper

I’d make the boomers do it! Get them to give something back, however little, for all the advantages they had that the youngest generation will never get.

What, with our knees?

General Election Thread on 06:54 - May 27 with 1089 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I genuinely believe you could easily find 10 sensible people, put them in a room, and by thevdays end, you'd get 10 sensible ideas. Makes you wonder why 650 MPs fail so miserably over the course of 5 years!

General Election Thread on 07:21 - May 27 with 1049 viewsnix

General Election Thread on 12:00 - May 26 by hamptonhillhoop

It's very telling that people on this messageboard have come up with better ideas within a couple of hours than a government that's been in power for fourteen years

But how many of our MPs really have an agenda to improve things. I do think in the past there were MPs that genuinely went into politics to make a difference. Nowadays I think far too many of them go into politics to fill their snouts in the trough.

Lobbying has become such a machine. Allowing politicians to take (bribes) payments to (squew political decisions) lobby on behalf of vested interests makes politics an absolute joke. I'm not sure if all other countries allow this but when you have a Government Minister saying they can no longer afford to be a Minister (on £150k plus generous expenses) because they make more money from taking (bribes) money from interest groups they represent.
General Election Thread on 07:23 - May 27 with 1041 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Surprised the Tories haven't pledged to reintroduce the death penalty as that would be far more popular than national service. Plus they could sell themselves as the party of law and order against the man who failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile.
General Election Thread on 07:57 - May 27 with 997 viewsnumptydumpty

General Election Thread on 07:23 - May 27 by Wegerles_Stairs

Surprised the Tories haven't pledged to reintroduce the death penalty as that would be far more popular than national service. Plus they could sell themselves as the party of law and order against the man who failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile.

Make it a crime to play badly for QPR but I am unsure as to the punishment !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

General Election Thread on 07:59 - May 27 with 994 viewsGus_iom

General Election Thread on 07:21 - May 27 by nix

But how many of our MPs really have an agenda to improve things. I do think in the past there were MPs that genuinely went into politics to make a difference. Nowadays I think far too many of them go into politics to fill their snouts in the trough.

Lobbying has become such a machine. Allowing politicians to take (bribes) payments to (squew political decisions) lobby on behalf of vested interests makes politics an absolute joke. I'm not sure if all other countries allow this but when you have a Government Minister saying they can no longer afford to be a Minister (on £150k plus generous expenses) because they make more money from taking (bribes) money from interest groups they represent.

Yeah, it's becoming a career path, some of these people have no experience of the 'real' work environment at all. And they will be led by civil servants who are much the same.
So far, this election seems only to be widening the fissures that already exist in our society, without offering any solutions
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024