Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TF on Twitter 13:59 - Jul 6 with 11669 viewshoopstilidie

Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes
Excellent stadium meeting. Wow. Looks great. Going to make big announcment. Hopefully see amit in a few hours to brief him. Wow

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

TF on Twitter on 15:10 - Jul 6 with 1346 viewsNeil_SI

TF on Twitter on 14:30 - Jul 6 by Orthodox_Hoop

But terrified in a good way surely.

I'm worried because if they don't get it right, it will never be the same and we will lose some of our soul. A lot of new stadiums built during my lifetime have lost that magic something from the stadium it replaced, and we've got to be ultra sure and careful that this doesn't happen to us.

If we can't recreate the same kind of character and soul as we have at Loftus Road, it will spoil the experience and I'm terrified that might happen. The place has been a real constant in my life, that has always been there, that's always been a symbol of home for me (having grown up around there and even lived directly across the road in one of the estates).

I would be incredibly sad and somewhat emotional to see it go.

I understand business and commercial problems, but that's what they are. Sometimes there is also history, heritage, culture and even an almost religious like attachment to some places and that's how I feel about Loftus Road.

It's worth more to me than making money and I still question whether we really need to move, when the reality is the problem is how much football clubs are paying for players in transfer fees and salaries.

It's natural to feel concerned when change comes so fast, and they're attempting to grow the club at an incredible pace. That can sometimes be good and bad, depending on context, but it can also make you feel a little unsteady too and that's probably where I am at at the moment.

I think growth needs to be organic as well. I'm not entirely convinced the demand is there for us either. You can't accelerate growth like this without some of it being artificial and I prefer the old fashion way of falling in love with your club, from birth, which is a long drawn out process and has that attachment with the local area that can't be shoehorned onto new or casual fans so quickly.

By the same token, if it's done right, I'm sure it could be wonderful too. But I am really going to close my eyes, hold my breath and gulp hard on this one. There's no place like home.
TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 1334 viewsRBlock

I wanna see how it maps out. Will the new R Block, which is usually quite noisy, play home to old R Block tenants and be as loud. Could be interesting to see how it works out! Where will the Mexican Fella sit?!
TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 1328 viewsTrance_Trousers

Bring a spanner

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 1325 viewsJamie

A new stadium is just one more thing on a list as long as your arm that we couldn't have genuinely envisioned 12 months ago. It's a great time to be a QPR fan.
TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 1322 viewshoopstilidie

Stadium will be in west london. Will not lose overall atmosphere. Lots to do and many pitfalls but great first step.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

TF on Twitter on 15:13 - Jul 6 with 1316 viewsMetallica_Hoop

TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 by hoopstilidie

Stadium will be in west london. Will not lose overall atmosphere. Lots to do and many pitfalls but great first step.

Splendid.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

TF on Twitter on 15:16 - Jul 6 with 1294 viewssexton

TF on Twitter on 15:10 - Jul 6 by Neil_SI

I'm worried because if they don't get it right, it will never be the same and we will lose some of our soul. A lot of new stadiums built during my lifetime have lost that magic something from the stadium it replaced, and we've got to be ultra sure and careful that this doesn't happen to us.

If we can't recreate the same kind of character and soul as we have at Loftus Road, it will spoil the experience and I'm terrified that might happen. The place has been a real constant in my life, that has always been there, that's always been a symbol of home for me (having grown up around there and even lived directly across the road in one of the estates).

I understand business and commercial problems, but that's what they are. Sometimes there is also history, heritage, culture and even an almost religious like attachment to some places and that's how I feel about Loftus Road.

It's worth more to me than making money and I still question whether we really need to move, when the reality is the problem is how much football clubs are paying for players in transfer fees and salaries.

It's natural to feel concerned when change comes so fast, and they're attempting to grow the club at an incredible pace. That can sometimes be good and bad, depending on context, but it can also make you feel a little unsteady too and that's probably where I am at at the moment.

I think growth needs to be organic as well. I'm not entirely convinced the demand is there for us either. You can't accelerate growth like this without some of it being artificial and I prefer the old fashion way of falling in love with your club, from birth, which is a long drawn out process and has that attachment with the local area that can't be shoehorned onto new or casual fans so quickly.

By the same token, if it's done right, I'm sure it could be wonderful too. But I am really going to close my eyes, hold my breath and gulp hard on this one. There's no place like home.

Well put. I grew up in East Acton and Loftus Road has been part of my life for many years. There will always be fantastic memories attached to it...but it's time to move on.
TF on Twitter on 15:17 - Jul 6 with 1283 viewsBklynRanger

I understand a lot of that, Neil. But TF does seem to make a point of being very clued in to fans' views, and I've heard him talk a lot about the atmosphere that the tight ground generates - proximity to the pitch etc.

So I'm hopeful that things like this will be included in the design. Based on how they've done things so far it would be a massive surprise if they turned around now and gave us a soulless bowl in the middle of nowhere.
Login to get fewer ads

TF on Twitter on 15:21 - Jul 6 with 1252 viewsNorthernr

Fernandes' latest Tweet says it will be "in west london and lose none of the atmosphere."

It's a no brainer really, we have to move. When you have Everton and Liverpool playing in 40,000 seater stadiums saying they hold them back from competing it makes you realise just how hamstrung we are by Loftus Road. 18,000 is ridiculously small. It's a miracle we're as high up the league ladder we are.

Selfishly I hope we never leave. I love Loftus Road, I love my seat, I love the memories around the place and the atmosphere and everything else. Bolox to leg room, if I wanted to stretch my legs I'd lay on my sofa. Bolox to your queue for the toilet, I'll go in the pub. Bolox to your queues for food, you're a mug for paying £3.70 for a bottle of 3% Carlsberg or one of those vile hot dogs anyway. I've never been to a stadium I like as much as Loftus Road.

If we're going we at least have plenty of examples of bad practice — Southampton, Leicester, Coventry, Cardiff, Doncaster, Middlesbrough Derby are all soulless shtholes, stuck in the middle of nowhere with all the atmosphere of a fcking dinner party round John Major's house. If we're going to do it do something bold, different, memorable.

To be honest it just won't be the same when we move. I grew up on the terraces at the Boulevard watching Hull FC and while I actually think the KC Stadium that replaced it is pretty good as new grounds go, and the atmosphere is very decent too, it's just never the same. I recognised why we left the Boulevard — all the same reasons we need to leave Loftus Road plus it was about to fall down — but I miss it. Ground moves are done for people I don't like — floating support, corporates, mums with kids, the "football family" — and while I clearly recognise why all this is important for the club financially, selfishly I wish we'd stay where we are and bolox to them.
TF on Twitter on 15:23 - Jul 6 with 1225 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

TF on Twitter on 15:16 - Jul 6 by sexton

Well put. I grew up in East Acton and Loftus Road has been part of my life for many years. There will always be fantastic memories attached to it...but it's time to move on.

Agreed. LR is the first thing I see in the morning as I live in LR and my garden backs onto the stadium. I absolutely love the place and it will be heart wrenching to see us leave, but as you say it's time to move on and the excitement of moving to a new state of the art stadium far outweighs the sadness of leaving LR. To think we will (potentially) be moving to a new stadium before both Chelsea and Fulham is beyond anything I could have expected given what's gone on in the last 15 years.
TF on Twitter on 15:24 - Jul 6 with 1219 viewsblacky200

While I agree on certain points it is easy for us to say that "its more than just making money" when it isn't our money that is being spent. Even in the Championship we struggled to break even. Football is a business now. Gone are the days when we could break even by selling a player every couple of years. And gone are the days when a football ground could be used only once every couple of weeks.
Like I said earlier in the thread 37 years of going to Loftus Road, it will be a real lump in throat moment at the last game but my god it is the most exciting time I can remember to be a supporter.
TF on Twitter on 15:26 - Jul 6 with 1196 viewsTrance_Trousers

+1 Clive.

TF on Twitter on 15:27 - Jul 6 with 1184 viewsessextaxiboy

TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 by Trance_Trousers

Bring a spanner

My two boys say they already do

Not sure how to link it but a lookalike of Porto's stadium would be great (Stadio de Drago ?)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
TF on Twitter on 15:29 - Jul 6 with 1159 viewsQPR_John

TF on Twitter on 15:21 - Jul 6 by Northernr

Fernandes' latest Tweet says it will be "in west london and lose none of the atmosphere."

It's a no brainer really, we have to move. When you have Everton and Liverpool playing in 40,000 seater stadiums saying they hold them back from competing it makes you realise just how hamstrung we are by Loftus Road. 18,000 is ridiculously small. It's a miracle we're as high up the league ladder we are.

Selfishly I hope we never leave. I love Loftus Road, I love my seat, I love the memories around the place and the atmosphere and everything else. Bolox to leg room, if I wanted to stretch my legs I'd lay on my sofa. Bolox to your queue for the toilet, I'll go in the pub. Bolox to your queues for food, you're a mug for paying £3.70 for a bottle of 3% Carlsberg or one of those vile hot dogs anyway. I've never been to a stadium I like as much as Loftus Road.

If we're going we at least have plenty of examples of bad practice — Southampton, Leicester, Coventry, Cardiff, Doncaster, Middlesbrough Derby are all soulless shtholes, stuck in the middle of nowhere with all the atmosphere of a fcking dinner party round John Major's house. If we're going to do it do something bold, different, memorable.

To be honest it just won't be the same when we move. I grew up on the terraces at the Boulevard watching Hull FC and while I actually think the KC Stadium that replaced it is pretty good as new grounds go, and the atmosphere is very decent too, it's just never the same. I recognised why we left the Boulevard — all the same reasons we need to leave Loftus Road plus it was about to fall down — but I miss it. Ground moves are done for people I don't like — floating support, corporates, mums with kids, the "football family" — and while I clearly recognise why all this is important for the club financially, selfishly I wish we'd stay where we are and bolox to them.

Summed up nicely. I started going to LR in the late fifties so have seen many changes and as a football ground cannot be bettered at times really worth an extra player for the team. But we move on and we risk losing the atmospere at a new ground but then what would be the atmosphere at LR playing in the lower divisions. You cannot guarantee a new ground will be succesful but it is guaranteed that staying at LR is a non starter if the club is to progress.
TF on Twitter on 15:30 - Jul 6 with 1151 viewsCharlie1

TF on Twitter on 15:12 - Jul 6 by Trance_Trousers

Bring a spanner

We did.

We let Westy sit with us last season!

2:59 baby!

TF on Twitter on 15:30 - Jul 6 with 1147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb post, Neil.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

TF on Twitter on 15:32 - Jul 6 with 1118 viewsCharlie1

TF on Twitter on 14:46 - Jul 6 by Trance_Trousers

I agree.We do need to move for the benefit of all involved.Just a shame as it was/is for any club moving to a new ground that the history is some what lost with any such move.
Hopefully they can incorporate a museum/history center within the new build.Would make an excellent pre-match tour package, plus keep alive the great history of our club and ground.

Good idea that.

We lose Loftus Road, we've lost what has made it special and part of the soul of the club has gone. Forever.
Assuming something magical doesn't happen on Monday.

Concur with Clive's post but here's a question.

1) Do you and everyone want Prem football & to watch the players like Diakite, Cisse etc in our hoops? If so, we must have a new ground.

2) Do you want to stay @ Loftus Road because if so, with how the game is changing, TV rights etc, we're looking at mid table Championship club at best. Annually.

I'm totally and utterly torn on the above.

2:59 baby!

TF on Twitter on 15:34 - Jul 6 with 1105 viewswombat

TF on Twitter on 15:10 - Jul 6 by bosh67

It's in fecking Malaysia! How much is that going to cost us to fly there every other week?

......... Not really

below is the details of the dairy crest site taken from helical bars website 2 mins ago

Wood Lane, White City

Details

Size: 33 acres of land

Fund: Wood Lane, White City

Tenants: Available to let

Description:

At White City we intend submitting an outline planning application in July 2012 for a residential led mixed use scheme immediately adjacent to White City underground station. The Eric Parry design master plan comprises c. 1.25 million sq ft of residential, 200,000 sq ft of commercial and 70,000 sq ft of retail/leisure/community uses. The landscaping proposals include the creation of a new bridge link from Wood Lane opening out into an urban square surrounded by local retailers and cafes. A large publically accessible garden square will also be created together with private communal courtyard gardens for the residents. Assuming planning consent is granted by the end of 2012, we hope to be in a position to make a start on site at the end of 2013.

this could be the new ground

Poll: which is your favouite foot

TF on Twitter on 15:36 - Jul 6 with 1083 viewsClive_Anderson

Blimey. Hope it goes through, it could be our last chance of a new stadium.

Having safe terracing at a new ground would go a long way to keeping the atmosphere of the old place.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
TF on Twitter on 15:36 - Jul 6 with 1078 viewsessextaxiboy

We are in the Premier League this season because of the layout of Loftus Road aided and abbetted by ourselves .
We played a massive part in the last few games .

Seeing the stadium light up when we win a corner and the oppos are reeling still impresses me . especially at night.
TF on Twitter on 15:38 - Jul 6 with 1062 viewsTrance_Trousers

Dave, i think to a man we all agree we need to move.But it`s like your best mate saying to you i`m off to live in OZ.Don`t seem real until the day comes around then you start getting all emotional.Would`t happen to me though, i ain`t got no friends.

TF on Twitter on 15:38 - Jul 6 with 1051 viewsSuffolkHoop

TF on Twitter on 15:10 - Jul 6 by bosh67

It's in fecking Malaysia! How much is that going to cost us to fly there every other week?

......... Not really

Agyemang static as usual.
TF on Twitter on 15:39 - Jul 6 with 1043 viewsreal_loftus

We've had 16 home grounds in our history. Another one isnt going to do any harm.

ATAF

ATAF.

TF on Twitter on 15:42 - Jul 6 with 1006 viewsfLaMeBoY

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach
#QPR have revealed they will make an announcement on Monday that will transform the club into a "global" brand. Big news expected.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach
"The announcement will put the #QPR brand on a global scale & is further demonstration of the continuing efforts to move the club forward"

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach
Fernandes, Bhatia, Hughes & Beard will all be at the #QPR press conference to be held at Altitude 360 in central London.
TF on Twitter on 15:42 - Jul 6 with 1002 viewsnadera78

TF on Twitter on 15:21 - Jul 6 by Northernr

Always thought I noted some of that Threepeny Stand wit in your match reports!

I think everyone will have reservations about the move, and will certainly miss the old girl. I'd point out though, that anyone over the age of 60 will have called the White City Stadium home too. I wonder how people felt about the move back then?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024