Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldest on LFW? 08:40 - Feb 13 with 10955 viewsHantsR

A recent poster (now banned and who shall remain nameless - but I think is in his 40s) called me 'my son' and claimed to have seen more Rs games than I'd had hot dinners! That was quite funny as I'm one of the more mature (in years anyway) posters on this board and have been going to LR for > 45 years. It made me wonder who the oldies are on this board? I know that I share a birth year with Sir Neil of Warnock and a certain regular poster from Aberystwyth but a little younger than 'Arry.
Oldest on LFW? on 19:20 - Feb 13 with 2099 viewsderbyhoop

I'm 1 year and 4 days younger than Gerry Francis, against whom I had my first game for the school team.
My first game at LR was in 1960, i.e. before we moved to White City.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Oldest on LFW? on 19:22 - Feb 13 with 2096 viewsTacticalR

Oldest on LFW? on 15:33 - Feb 13 by pomanjou

As you say, what a (fat) player! Also there was a guy called hidekuti who was doing an early Taarabt all over the middle and frontline. Captain Billy Wright was given a right old runaround and shown up for the donkey he had become.

There is a lot about Nándor Hidegkuti in 'Inverting the Pyramid', Jonathan Wilson's history of football tactics.

Hidegkuti had come into his own at MTK Budapest when the centre-forward was sold to Lazio, and the team couldn't find a replacement, so simply did away with a conventional centre-forward and played to Hidegkuti's strengths:

"Hidegkuti was almost universally referred to as a withdrawn centre-forward, but the term is misleading, derived largely from his shirt number. He was, in modern terminology, simply an attacking midfielder. ‘I usually took up my position around the middle of the field on [József] Zakariás’ side,’ he explained, ‘while [József] Bozsik on the other flank often moved up as far as the opposition’s penalty area, and scored quite a number of goals, too. In the front line the most frequent goalscorers were Puskás and [Sándor] Kocsis, the two inside-forwards, and they positioned themselves closer to the enemy goal than was usual with … the W-M system… After a brief experience with this new framework Gusztav Sebes decided to ask the two wingers to drop back a little towards midfield, to pick up the passes to be had from Bozsik and myself, and this added the final touch to the tactical development.’

It was Hidegkuti, though, who destroyed England. Their players had, after all, grown up in a culture where the number denoted the position. The right-winger, the No. 7, lined up against the left-back, the No. 3; the centre-half, the No. 5, took care of the centre-forward, the No. 9. So fundamental was this that the television commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme felt compelled in the opening minutes of the game to explain the foreign custom to his viewers. ‘You might be mystified by some of the Hungarian numbers,’ he said in a tone of indulgent exasperation. ‘The reason is they number the players rather logically, with the centre-half as 3 and the backs as 2 and 4.’ They numbered them, in other words, as you would read them across the pitch, rather than by archaic custom: how was an Englishman to cope? And, more pertinently, what was a centre-half to do if the centre-forward kept disappearing off towards the halfway line? ‘To me,’ Harry Johnston, England’s centre-half that day, wrote in his autobiography, ‘the tragedy was the utter helplessness … being unable to do anything to alter the grim outlook.’ If he followed him, it left a hole between the two full-backs; if he sat off him, Hidegkuti was able to drift around unchallenged, dictating the play. In the end Johnston was caught between the two stools, and Hidegkuti scored a hat-trick. Syd Owen, Johnston’s replacement for the rematch in Budapest six months later, fared no better, and England were beaten 7-1."

Air hostess clique

Oldest on LFW? on 22:22 - Feb 13 with 2054 viewspomanjou

Oldest on LFW? on 19:07 - Feb 13 by ElHoop

My dad has quite a good footie cv - saw all the England games in 1966 and he still talks about some game between the scum and Moscow Dynamo after the war when he was sitting on the touchline and also the last Man Utd match in England before the Munich aircrash - an epic match at Highbury.

The nearest celebrity to my DOB seems to be Kate Bush - she was born 15 days later.

You have reminded me of the second international match I went to. It was Chelski v Red Banner (Hungary) on 15th Dec 1954. It was on a Wednesday afternoon and kicked off at 2pm. Hidgkuti was the inside right and captain. Chelsea were were they should be now, in Division One (althought that was the Prem equivalent)

I have just dug out the programme from the loft. It was 6d (2 1/2p).

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Oldest on LFW? on 22:32 - Feb 13 with 2036 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oldest on LFW? on 15:26 - Feb 13 by Northernr

When Hungary scored against England a couple of years ago in some pis-pot friendly game Phil Neville on the Five Live co-commentary described it as "probably the greatest moment in Hungarian football history". Knowledge.

Lovely!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Oldest on LFW? on 23:23 - Feb 13 with 2015 viewsJigsore

Share my birthday with (most notably) Julio Cesar! quite a lot younger than him mind
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Oldest on LFW? on 02:32 - Feb 14 with 1988 viewsmylot50years

Q.P.R 3 Southend 6
Div 3 South
Still have not really got over that one !
Oldest on LFW? on 13:43 - Feb 14 with 1936 viewsQPR_10

57 and nearly 5 months
First game, 1962/63
Night game home to Hull at the White City
We won 4 - 1

"COME ON YOU SUPERHOOPS"

Oldest on LFW? on 13:51 - Feb 14 with 1925 viewscyprusmel

Watching QPR in the 50's when Jack Taylor was the manager.
Login to get fewer ads

Oldest on LFW? on 13:51 - Feb 14 with 1925 viewscyprusmel

Watching QPR in the 50's when Jack Taylor was the manager.
Oldest on LFW? on 15:29 - Feb 14 with 1896 views18StoneOfHoop

Are you an old git based in the W12 vicinity with a few hairs left that badly need sprucing?
Get on down to the old-fashioned Gentleman's Barbers stuck half-way between The Coningham and KFC on Uxbridge Road.There you can have your few last lockets tended to by Seth Vafiadis who played 15 games and scored 4 goals for the R's as a right winger in the 1964/1965 season before asking Alec Stock for more dosh and being let go to Millwall.Made his debut 'cos Mark Lazarus refused to play on the Sabbath.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Oldest on LFW? on 15:56 - Feb 14 with 1886 viewsMichael_Hunt

Oldest on LFW? on 15:29 - Feb 14 by 18StoneOfHoop

Are you an old git based in the W12 vicinity with a few hairs left that badly need sprucing?
Get on down to the old-fashioned Gentleman's Barbers stuck half-way between The Coningham and KFC on Uxbridge Road.There you can have your few last lockets tended to by Seth Vafiadis who played 15 games and scored 4 goals for the R's as a right winger in the 1964/1965 season before asking Alec Stock for more dosh and being let go to Millwall.Made his debut 'cos Mark Lazarus refused to play on the Sabbath.

Crikey,
that establishment used to be "Johnies" iirc. I had my haircut there many times in the late 50's early 60's as a nipper. They used to put you on a wooden plank that stretched over the arms of the normal chair and bribe you with alphabet sweets to stop you wriggling about.

Me,I'm the same age as Nick Faldo and Seve Ballesteros (RIP).

No need for barbers these days. (No hair & no need for "something for the weekend, sir")
Oldest on LFW? on 16:42 - Feb 14 with 1870 viewsElHoop

I've got a feeling that Vafiadis played a few games for Wealdstone at some point. The name is familiar anyway and i can't think of any other reason why i'd have heard of him.
Oldest on LFW? on 16:50 - Feb 14 with 1855 viewsqprmick

Seth's family used to own the barbershop at the roundabout at East Acton. I had many a hair cut there. Interested to hear Mark wouldn't play on the Sabbath, I assume that was Saturday in the Jewish faith. Thank God he played in that great match at Wembley in '67. He will forever be one of my heroes.

Qprmick

Oldest on LFW? on 17:02 - Feb 14 with 1847 viewswombat

Oldest on LFW? on 16:50 - Feb 14 by qprmick

Seth's family used to own the barbershop at the roundabout at East Acton. I had many a hair cut there. Interested to hear Mark wouldn't play on the Sabbath, I assume that was Saturday in the Jewish faith. Thank God he played in that great match at Wembley in '67. He will forever be one of my heroes.

also used to get my hair cut there both on the uxbridge road and the old place at east acton , seth and his brother are good lads and funnily enough dont have much hair either , not a great advert for there hair dressers really

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Oldest on LFW? on 17:03 - Feb 14 with 1846 viewsTW_R

Rufus Brevett is my twin.
Oldest on LFW? on 19:12 - Feb 14 with 1824 viewsderbyhoop

Oldest on LFW? on 13:43 - Feb 14 by QPR_10

57 and nearly 5 months
First game, 1962/63
Night game home to Hull at the White City
We won 4 - 1

I don't recall seeing you there!!!

Wasn't that the biggest gate we had at White City? About 18,000 from memory.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Oldest on LFW? on 18:47 - Feb 15 with 1766 viewsQPR_10

Oldest on LFW? on 19:12 - Feb 14 by derbyhoop

I don't recall seeing you there!!!

Wasn't that the biggest gate we had at White City? About 18,000 from memory.

lol, i didn't count em, i was only 7
I think I stood there all night with my mouth open, I couldn't believe I was there

"COME ON YOU SUPERHOOPS"

Oldest on LFW? on 21:39 - Feb 15 with 1751 viewsnumptydumpty

Oldest on LFW? on 18:47 - Feb 15 by QPR_10

lol, i didn't count em, i was only 7
I think I stood there all night with my mouth open, I couldn't believe I was there

My old boy father went to his first rangers game at wembley 1967. Certain Marsh person scored. I arrived a couple of months later. Shame I missed that game.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024