Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to make a big stadium feel intimate 20:28 - Dec 15 with 4421 viewsVancouverHoop

A thread to throw up examples of what might help make a large stadium have the atmosphere of Loftus Road on a good day.

Mentioned here before, BC Place has a power curtain, that conceals the upper deck when it's not needed. You can just see the red upper deck seats peeking through in this wide-angle photo of a Vancouver Whitecaps match:

CenturyLink Field in Seattle, home of the NFL's Seahawks ans MLS Sounders. Specifically designed to be the noisiest stadium in the NFL. Note the curvature of the stands, that angle crowd noise towards the field:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink_Field

I'm not saying we should copy these ideas wholesale, but they do offer examples for consideration, and I'm sure there are others out there.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 20:49 - Dec 15 with 3434 viewsHollowayRanger

roof would add a lot to the bill and not sure if it would effect the grass

sadly i fear it wont be our stadium anyway

more likley tennents or shared ownership with some other sport,perhaps an american football team !

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 20:59 - Dec 15 with 3409 viewswombat

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 20:49 - Dec 15 by HollowayRanger

more likley tennents or shared ownership with some other sport,perhaps an american football team !

Think one thing we will have is a roof , a muti use stadium will need to be weather tight in the winter for boxing , concerts etc

Main concern for me is how are they gonna protect the pitch or make sure we have a decent pitch which some stadiums wembley being the prime example don't have

Poll: which is your favouite foot

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:00 - Dec 15 with 3404 viewsN12Hoop

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 20:49 - Dec 15 by HollowayRanger

A roof makes a lot of sense if you want a multi purpose facility to compete with the O2. However I presume that a roof is pointless because if we had regular events on non match days the grass would get completely fcked. Now if we could get astro...........

Anyway, there was something recently about an earthquake being caused in a US football stadium by the noise of the fans. If that's down to design then we should be learning lessons there.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:21 - Dec 15 with 3329 viewsted_hendrix

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:00 - Dec 15 by N12Hoop

A roof makes a lot of sense if you want a multi purpose facility to compete with the O2. However I presume that a roof is pointless because if we had regular events on non match days the grass would get completely fcked. Now if we could get astro...........

Anyway, there was something recently about an earthquake being caused in a US football stadium by the noise of the fans. If that's down to design then we should be learning lessons there.

The Company I work for build all weather pitches, MUGA's as they are known.
As for the grass growing a lot of clubs now wheel out huge IR lights to regenerate the grass directly after a game.
As for a retractable roof the financial implications are enormous and for the life of me I couldn't see a financial return.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:50 - Dec 15 with 3267 viewsN12Hoop

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:21 - Dec 15 by ted_hendrix

As for the grass growing a lot of clubs now wheel out huge IR lights to regenerate the grass directly after a game.
As for a retractable roof the financial implications are enormous and for the life of me I couldn't see a financial return.

Would you not reckon that an O2 of the West so to speak would get enough use to justify a retractable roof? It's a better location than the O2 so I would have thought it could be used almost daily if that's not incompatible with having a good playing surface.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 22:05 - Dec 15 with 3224 viewsVancouverHoop

The retractable roof on BC Place cost CDN$1.2 million (£700,000.) In the context of a project this size – I mean the stadium, not the rest of the Old Oak development – it's probably not that huge when weighed against the additional revenue that can be generated.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 22:21 - Dec 15 with 3181 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 22:05 - Dec 15 by VancouverHoop

The retractable roof on BC Place cost CDN$1.2 million (£700,000.) In the context of a project this size – I mean the stadium, not the rest of the Old Oak development – it's probably not that huge when weighed against the additional revenue that can be generated.

That's incredibly cheap, Van.

A roof would have knock-on effects on the design and cost of other elements, though, from foundations to supporting steelwork, which would all have to be strengthened. Ted would know better than me, but even fag-packet estimating must place it on the tens of millions.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 22:25 - Dec 15 with 3171 viewsCanadaRanger

BC Place is one amazing multi-purpose stadium!
It never feels huge, even with just 22,000 fans roaring on their BC Lions, and it can handle over 40,000 for those sell-out Grey Cup games.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2013 22:26]
Login to get fewer ads

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 23:19 - Dec 15 with 3112 viewsVancouverHoop

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 22:21 - Dec 15 by BrianMcCarthy

That's incredibly cheap, Van.

A roof would have knock-on effects on the design and cost of other elements, though, from foundations to supporting steelwork, which would all have to be strengthened. Ted would know better than me, but even fag-packet estimating must place it on the tens of millions.

You're right. My bad – I looked at the wrong line. $1.2 million was the price of the Fieldturf! The retractable roof was about $300 million (£200 million-ish) – hard to tell precisely because the numbers I have include other fixtures and fittings. It was also a reno – not built from scratch – which may have made it more, or less, expensive I guess.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 23:33 - Dec 15 with 3090 viewsKiwi76

Think I read somewhere that we are using Populous for stadium?
See link for stadium built in Dunedin NZ with roof - total cost was $198m (100m pounds).
Roof sounds like bit of a breakthrough...

Note - never been to stadium but from TV theres issues with no stands in corners - probably to save costs? Given weather down there does offer fans a far better experience and have had few bands through.

http://populous.com/project/forsyth-barr-stadium/
[Post edited 15 Dec 2013 23:35]
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 00:19 - Dec 16 with 3039 viewsHollowayRanger

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 23:19 - Dec 15 by VancouverHoop

You're right. My bad – I looked at the wrong line. $1.2 million was the price of the Fieldturf! The retractable roof was about $300 million (£200 million-ish) – hard to tell precisely because the numbers I have include other fixtures and fittings. It was also a reno – not built from scratch – which may have made it more, or less, expensive I guess.

remind me not to let you do my account!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 00:26 - Dec 16 with 3037 viewsVancouverHoop

Indeed. People like me are why accountants were invented.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 01:08 - Dec 16 with 3001 viewsBklynRanger

Huge infra red lights leading to the exponential growth of massive quantities of high quality grass.

Yes, I can believe that.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 01:10 - Dec 16 with 3000 viewsWanderR

The LFW Crew discussion on the train to Blackpool threw up the possibility of having safe standing behind one of the goals at the new stadium. This would not only help to undo some of the damage to the matchday atmosphere caused by removal of some fans to create a family area in the Lower Loft but also mark out the new stadium as being unique and a game changer which would should appeal to both the fans and the board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25269939

Current location: OX10

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 01:15 - Dec 16 with 2993 viewsVancouverHoop

Absolutely. Or at least something like Dortmund, with crush barriers in front of the seats, so if/when safe standing is approved it'll be an easy and inexpensive transition.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 07:19 - Dec 16 with 2918 viewsbarbicanranger

Nice article WanderR, would be nice to see that in the new ground.

Re this thread in general I'm assuming draft plans have already been drawn up for the stadium (even though the Board said fans would be consulted) as a picture was released on the offish of a stadium that looked to be computer generated when the club broke the news. That stadium didn't have a full roof like wembley, appeared to have two tiers similar to loftus road end or SAR but the second tier was much bigger and a lot steeper sided - to me looked similar to dortmund's ground.

I was looking around after the news broke and the same picture is on the website of the company who are set to develop the ground, they also did arsenal's. Whilst arsenals stadium is fantastic it doesn't have the best atmosphere but then our Board have been an pains to stress how important atmosphere and an intimidating stadium are. Link to website of developers below for those interested.

http://www.stadiumcapitalholdings.co.uk
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 09:37 - Dec 16 with 2811 viewswombat

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 23:33 - Dec 15 by Kiwi76

Think I read somewhere that we are using Populous for stadium?
See link for stadium built in Dunedin NZ with roof - total cost was $198m (100m pounds).
Roof sounds like bit of a breakthrough...

Note - never been to stadium but from TV theres issues with no stands in corners - probably to save costs? Given weather down there does offer fans a far better experience and have had few bands through.

http://populous.com/project/forsyth-barr-stadium/
[Post edited 15 Dec 2013 23:35]

lovely looking ground be a nightmare to clean the bird crap off the roof every couple of months though

Poll: which is your favouite foot

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 10:09 - Dec 16 with 2771 viewsKonk

Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong with scented candles, some Luther Vandross and a big red velvet curtain across the door to keep the cold out.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:05 - Dec 16 with 2682 viewsrrrspricey

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 10:09 - Dec 16 by Konk

Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong with scented candles, some Luther Vandross and a big red velvet curtain across the door to keep the cold out.

Dont you come on here cottaging Conk...gerrorf our land.

The stadium for me is simple...this Ë… with a roof, job done

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:12 - Dec 16 with 2661 viewsKonk

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:05 - Dec 16 by rrrspricey

Dont you come on here cottaging Conk...gerrorf our land.

The stadium for me is simple...this Ë… with a roof, job done

I’m only trying to help. What about something like this, but on a slightly bigger scale with a football pitch in the middle? Looks lovely. Jumbotron where the telly is…radiators like the overheat heaters at PSV, Fenerbahce and Real Madrid…it could be lovely with maybe a rug to tie the whole thing together?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:26 - Dec 16 with 2626 viewsrrrspricey

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:12 - Dec 16 by Konk

I’m only trying to help. What about something like this, but on a slightly bigger scale with a football pitch in the middle? Looks lovely. Jumbotron where the telly is…radiators like the overheat heaters at PSV, Fenerbahce and Real Madrid…it could be lovely with maybe a rug to tie the whole thing together?

Does look cosy but and i reckon we'd damn near fill it most weeks but we're not allowed to play on an artificial surface
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:32 - Dec 16 with 2603 viewsenfieldargh

how about rotating knives instead of turnstyles?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 17:48 - Dec 16 with 2497 viewsted_hendrix

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 21:50 - Dec 15 by N12Hoop

Would you not reckon that an O2 of the West so to speak would get enough use to justify a retractable roof? It's a better location than the O2 so I would have thought it could be used almost daily if that's not incompatible with having a good playing surface.

Well lets put it this way, the current rate for purchasing then erecting structural steelwork is £1,500 per tonne, It's dropped quite a lot recently as about a Year ago it was £2,000 per tonne and that's for the run of the mill portal frame no nonsense type of warehouse.
A football ground and Its shape would be an awful lot more pro rata per tonne so that's fcked the retractable roof then.
Take you're point about the 02 of the West though.
I cant wait till they announce ST prices for the new ground.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 19:47 - Dec 16 with 2429 viewsCanadaRanger

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 17:48 - Dec 16 by ted_hendrix

Well lets put it this way, the current rate for purchasing then erecting structural steelwork is £1,500 per tonne, It's dropped quite a lot recently as about a Year ago it was £2,000 per tonne and that's for the run of the mill portal frame no nonsense type of warehouse.
A football ground and Its shape would be an awful lot more pro rata per tonne so that's fcked the retractable roof then.
Take you're point about the 02 of the West though.
I cant wait till they announce ST prices for the new ground.

Check out the roof structure for BC Place Stadium and you can see that it's very do-able for a structure of this size. Keeps noise in too! Better atmosphere for fans, and less noise for neighbours.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:19 - Dec 21 with 2225 viewsjimlav

Anybody have any thoughts on the size of the pitch? The small LR pitch increases the compact feeling of the ground and the great atmosphere, but I have always felt it hampered us on the pitch. More often than not we tend to play decent football and a bit more width would give us a bit more space and help us against teams that just came to defend. My teenage years were spent wishing the likes of Sinclair, Impey, Wilson and Bardsley had another 5 or 10 yards to work in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024