Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 56484 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 12:31 - Jun 10 with 3533 viewsLohengrin

The election results thread on 11:37 - Jun 10 by epaul

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-book-of-jeremy-corbyn/amp

😂😂😂😂

A pun on the sufferings of Jeremiah? Tut, tut... there'll be no more of that around here when the DUP take their place at the head of the table, Paul.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The election results thread on 13:26 - Jun 10 with 3495 viewsHeadmaster

Apparently Diane Abbot's election leaflets were partly printed in Norwegian, yet she still increased her majority by 11,000.
The election results thread on 13:31 - Jun 10 with 3489 viewsLohengrin

The election results thread on 13:26 - Jun 10 by Headmaster

Apparently Diane Abbot's election leaflets were partly printed in Norwegian, yet she still increased her majority by 11,000.

I nearly wet myself when I heard about that. They were supposed to have been printed partly in 'Nigerian' (just imagine...) but the hapless fckin' dolt's equally hapless Hackney collective couldn't even get that right.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The election results thread on 15:02 - Jun 10 with 3443 viewsEbo

The election results thread on 17:04 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Who, the LibDems?

I said Ebo, that the LibDems having influence would be good, not the bloody DUP.

The DUP are like the right wing of the Republican party - utterly offensive in every single way.

I can't imagine them being able to influence anything though - if they tried to push their hateful bile on anything, the moderate conservatives wouldn't support so the government would collapse.

As I said, in my view I'd like to see some compromise, negotiation, consensus, common sense. As I also said, if they act in their usual way we'll have another election before we know it. The initial signs from May aren't promising I must say.

The DUP Lisa not the Lib Dems mun!

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The election results thread on 15:19 - Jun 10 with 3429 viewsEbo

One of the reasons May called this election was to destroy the opposition. She failed miserably.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The election results thread on 15:49 - Jun 10 with 3409 viewsexiledclaseboy

The election results thread on 11:29 - Jun 10 by londonlisa2001

You've given the Tories 0 and Labour 8 when the Tories have won 56 more seats?

I realise it's all to do with expectation, but the only reason anyone had the expectation in the first place is a series of opinion polls (when opinion polls have been shown over the past few years as next to useless), and the right wing press.

It seems to me that we have just had a third election (fourth including Brexit) where the result is effectively split down the middle. A few seats make the difference between a hung parliament (as now and in 2010) and a slender majority. I think the days of landslides have probably gone for good as the country is too polarised for that to happen.

Anyway, it is becoming apparent that this whole DUP thing won't happen, and my hopes on getting for me the perfect result of a hung parliament and therefore some sense at last is rapidly disappearing. It's looking increasingly like we're going to have to go through all this crap yet again. Absolute gits, the whole lot of them.

"You've given the Tories 0 and Labour 8 when the Tories have won 56 more seats?"

I have. And to quote the great Uncle Bryn "I'll tell you for why".

It's easy to forget that we didn't have to have this election. No one wanted it and no one needed it. The only reason we had it is because May looked at those very polls you're now scoffing at with the benefit of hindsight and though this was a fantastic opportunity to increase her small parliamentary majority. Anything other than that would have been a massive failure. Not only did the Tories fail to increase their majority they managed to lose the one they had. May's now looking to lead a minority government grubbily propped up by a handful of evangelical religious zealots from Northern Ireland.

So, May has fatally weakened her own position, possibly fatally weakened the UK's future by being a laughing stock going into the Brexit negotiations (if they ever happen) and by her actions with the DUP threaten to destabilise the long held Northern Ireland peace process as well. She also proved to be incompetent, weak and not fit for the office of prime minister. Yes they won the most seats and the most votes so ostensibly "won" the election but ask her and every Tory how much they feel like winners at the moment. If you think that deserves more than 0/10 fine, but I'm sticking with it. If anything, it's a bit generous.

Labour gets an eight for a number of reasons. Again, there's those polls. Consistently 20 points behind for months and the only reason we had this election. You yourself were on here on Tuesday telling us how you knew someone who had knowledge that non-public polling put the Tory lead even larger two days before polling day. It wasn't just the polls and the right wing press who believed that Labour was heading for humiliation and a landslide defeat. Pretty much everyone did bar a few hardy Corbynistas. Then the campaign started and Corbyn proved himself to be far better at it than anyone imagined. The manifesto captured interest and (the most positive aspect of this election for me by far) galvanised young people and got them out to vote in large numbers. That bodes well for the future of the UK.

I've read lots of talk about how Labour should have actually won this election given how "unpopular" the government was. This is revisionist nonsense of the highest degree. I'm not claiming Labour are the "winners" of this election if you want to be that simplistic about things but if they can build on the platform they've created they could end up winning the next one, especially if it ends up being sooner rather than later.

May got the Tories highest vote percentage since Thatcher, Corbyn Labour's highest since Blair. But when you consider where both parties were starting from I know which is the most impressive.

So yeah, zero and eight. I'm sticking with that.

The election results thread on 22:42 - Jun 10 with 3324 viewsJack_Meoff

We can't say we weren't warned. *Slow hand clap*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4352425.stm
[Post edited 10 Jun 2017 22:43]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

The election results thread on 00:37 - Jun 11 with 3276 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 15:49 - Jun 10 by exiledclaseboy

"You've given the Tories 0 and Labour 8 when the Tories have won 56 more seats?"

I have. And to quote the great Uncle Bryn "I'll tell you for why".

It's easy to forget that we didn't have to have this election. No one wanted it and no one needed it. The only reason we had it is because May looked at those very polls you're now scoffing at with the benefit of hindsight and though this was a fantastic opportunity to increase her small parliamentary majority. Anything other than that would have been a massive failure. Not only did the Tories fail to increase their majority they managed to lose the one they had. May's now looking to lead a minority government grubbily propped up by a handful of evangelical religious zealots from Northern Ireland.

So, May has fatally weakened her own position, possibly fatally weakened the UK's future by being a laughing stock going into the Brexit negotiations (if they ever happen) and by her actions with the DUP threaten to destabilise the long held Northern Ireland peace process as well. She also proved to be incompetent, weak and not fit for the office of prime minister. Yes they won the most seats and the most votes so ostensibly "won" the election but ask her and every Tory how much they feel like winners at the moment. If you think that deserves more than 0/10 fine, but I'm sticking with it. If anything, it's a bit generous.

Labour gets an eight for a number of reasons. Again, there's those polls. Consistently 20 points behind for months and the only reason we had this election. You yourself were on here on Tuesday telling us how you knew someone who had knowledge that non-public polling put the Tory lead even larger two days before polling day. It wasn't just the polls and the right wing press who believed that Labour was heading for humiliation and a landslide defeat. Pretty much everyone did bar a few hardy Corbynistas. Then the campaign started and Corbyn proved himself to be far better at it than anyone imagined. The manifesto captured interest and (the most positive aspect of this election for me by far) galvanised young people and got them out to vote in large numbers. That bodes well for the future of the UK.

I've read lots of talk about how Labour should have actually won this election given how "unpopular" the government was. This is revisionist nonsense of the highest degree. I'm not claiming Labour are the "winners" of this election if you want to be that simplistic about things but if they can build on the platform they've created they could end up winning the next one, especially if it ends up being sooner rather than later.

May got the Tories highest vote percentage since Thatcher, Corbyn Labour's highest since Blair. But when you consider where both parties were starting from I know which is the most impressive.

So yeah, zero and eight. I'm sticking with that.

I'm not scoffing at polls, well I am, but I am not saying I was scoffing at them. As you said, I was told the Labour internals were worse. I'm scoffing at them now though, as they were obviously always wrong. Even on the day, the polls were showing an average of about 8 %, so the ones showing 20% were wrong as well.

But that's not my point. The Tories had an absolutely horrible campaign and zero seems reasonable. But still Labour lost. By some distance. So my beef is giving them 8 - to me it shows how low the expectation has fallen.

I agree about the youth vote by the way.
Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 00:42 - Jun 11 with 3271 viewsNeathJack

Strong and stable etc........

The election results thread on 00:46 - Jun 11 with 3264 viewsexiledclaseboy

If prime minister Corbyn is looking for a special adviser I'm prepared to take a career break.

The election results thread on 00:49 - Jun 11 with 3257 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 00:42 - Jun 11 by NeathJack

Strong and stable etc........

It's actually not funny is it, the level of incompetence being displayed. (Don't mean you're saying it's funny btw Neathjack). I mean this is Bradley territory. Almost unbelievable.
The election results thread on 00:55 - Jun 11 with 3250 viewsexiledclaseboy

The election results thread on 00:49 - Jun 11 by londonlisa2001

It's actually not funny is it, the level of incompetence being displayed. (Don't mean you're saying it's funny btw Neathjack). I mean this is Bradley territory. Almost unbelievable.

Well it is quite amusing.

The election results thread on 00:56 - Jun 11 with 3247 viewsNeathJack

The election results thread on 00:49 - Jun 11 by londonlisa2001

It has to be bordering on deliberate sabotage surely?
The election results thread on 00:57 - Jun 11 with 3243 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 00:55 - Jun 11 by exiledclaseboy

Well it is quite amusing.

Until you remember when Brexit negotiations start and the impact that has on all of us. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree.
The election results thread on 00:58 - Jun 11 with 3237 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 00:56 - Jun 11 by NeathJack

Made me think that as well, but surely not.
The election results thread on 01:16 - Jun 11 with 3216 viewsmajorraglan

The Tories had a shocking campaign despite having the support of most of the national press. Leaders need to lead! I believe Theresa May was damaged by her failure to appear on the leadership debates, damaged by her failure to give a straight answers to questions ( as were others including Karen Bradley) and this along with policy changes eroded public confidence in her and the Tories. The atrocities in Manchester and London also put policing and the cuts to police numbers and budgets whilst she was the Home Secretary firmly in the spotlight. I personally think her days are numbered.
The election results thread on 01:20 - Jun 11 with 3214 viewsJack_Meoff

The election results thread on 00:58 - Jun 11 by londonlisa2001

Made me think that as well, but surely not.

Anyone with half a brain couldn't help but be swayed in that direction. Then again, there's still people that think that we live in a democracy and government gives a single solitary sh*te about our collective well being. Give them a nudge.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

The election results thread on 10:17 - Jun 11 with 3164 viewsnice_to_michu

The election results thread on 01:20 - Jun 11 by Jack_Meoff

Anyone with half a brain couldn't help but be swayed in that direction. Then again, there's still people that think that we live in a democracy and government gives a single solitary sh*te about our collective well being. Give them a nudge.

When you say things like that it makes me think that you've probably never actually met an MP before.

Are there corrupt ones? Probably. But there are loads and loads and loads who want nothing to do with corruption.
The election results thread on 12:41 - Jun 11 with 3129 viewsJack_Meoff

The election results thread on 00:56 - Jun 11 by NeathJack

Been thinking this since the election was called. Britain has been run into the ground by design and the perpetrators want out.

The election results thread on 12:45 - Jun 11 with 3123 viewsJack_Meoff

The election results thread on 10:17 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

When you say things like that it makes me think that you've probably never actually met an MP before.

Are there corrupt ones? Probably. But there are loads and loads and loads who want nothing to do with corruption.

I've had discourse with my local MP. I emailed her and thanked her for voting against bombing Syria a few years back. She wrote a nice letter back. Doesn't lessen my opinion that government as a whole is bought and paid for, and serves the interests of big business to the detriment of the country.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 12:45]

The election results thread on 13:57 - Jun 11 with 3072 viewsnice_to_michu

The election results thread on 12:45 - Jun 11 by Jack_Meoff

I've had discourse with my local MP. I emailed her and thanked her for voting against bombing Syria a few years back. She wrote a nice letter back. Doesn't lessen my opinion that government as a whole is bought and paid for, and serves the interests of big business to the detriment of the country.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 12:45]

When you say "bought and paid for", what do you mean exactly?

The Labour Party, at local constituency level, is funded by unions and local donations from supporters. If a candidate is elected, then who exactly do you think has "bought" them?
The election results thread on 14:28 - Jun 11 with 3056 viewsJack_Meoff

The election results thread on 13:57 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

When you say "bought and paid for", what do you mean exactly?

The Labour Party, at local constituency level, is funded by unions and local donations from supporters. If a candidate is elected, then who exactly do you think has "bought" them?

I mean they serve the interests of the war machine and both sell and use weaponry on lies for profit. War is, and always has been a racket. The hypocrisy is breathtaking. We're supposed to believe that the government care about the children of Syria, for example? They don't seem to be too fussed about what's happening in Yemen at the moment. It's simply about money and power.

And they're all illuminated fourth dimensional reptilians, obviously...

The election results thread on 15:03 - Jun 11 with 3027 viewsnice_to_michu

The election results thread on 14:28 - Jun 11 by Jack_Meoff

I mean they serve the interests of the war machine and both sell and use weaponry on lies for profit. War is, and always has been a racket. The hypocrisy is breathtaking. We're supposed to believe that the government care about the children of Syria, for example? They don't seem to be too fussed about what's happening in Yemen at the moment. It's simply about money and power.

And they're all illuminated fourth dimensional reptilians, obviously...

Right, so in what way does the average Labour MP profit personally from the war machine?

One Labour MP I know who recently retired after being in the commons for almost two decades just moved into a house which is worth, at most, £250,000.

I'm curious as to the method with which you think that the average MP is bought and paid for and is merely a pawn in the war machine?
The election results thread on 15:25 - Jun 11 with 3012 viewsJack_Meoff

The election results thread on 15:03 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

Right, so in what way does the average Labour MP profit personally from the war machine?

One Labour MP I know who recently retired after being in the commons for almost two decades just moved into a house which is worth, at most, £250,000.

I'm curious as to the method with which you think that the average MP is bought and paid for and is merely a pawn in the war machine?

I'm not necessarily referring to your average MP. I'm more thinking about cabinet members, people in actual positions of power. For example, Blair taking us to war in 2003. How much is he worth now? Very richly rewarded. F*cker should be washing his hands like Lady Macbeth every night.

The election results thread on 15:26 - Jun 11 with 3011 viewsJango

The election results thread on 15:03 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

The average MP isn't involved in the running of the country
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024