Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley 10:00 - Nov 2 with 7532 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/46860/refwatch-dale-v-broml

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 16:15 - Nov 2 with 4347 viewsRAFCBLUE

The son of Nigel Miller ?! If so Nigel Miller was an awful ref. I'm sure that name is in my memory bank alongside people like Jeff Winter and Rob Styles (Waterlooville)

Inexperienced ref and this is his biggest ever game, reffing a League One side at home against a team he is familiar with given he refs in that league.

I see this as a bad omen.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 16:58 - Nov 2 with 4312 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 16:15 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

The son of Nigel Miller ?! If so Nigel Miller was an awful ref. I'm sure that name is in my memory bank alongside people like Jeff Winter and Rob Styles (Waterlooville)

Inexperienced ref and this is his biggest ever game, reffing a League One side at home against a team he is familiar with given he refs in that league.

I see this as a bad omen.

My thoughts were similar.......send him to San Spotty to learn his trade, they know a shockin ref or two down there......

We'll see?
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 17:57 - Nov 2 with 4269 views49thseason

Well, if he is the son of the aforementioned Nigel, pointing out his father's shortcomings will not have done our chances much good if he reads this board will it?
I often think we should drop this referee previews on the basis that they very rarely reflect well on the man who can, at a stroke, affect the game so dramatically. As my old grannie used to say ... "if you can't say something nice, shut up".
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 18:01 - Nov 2 with 4263 viewsEllDale

There are some officials it's hard to say anything nice about. Heap, Beeby....
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 18:12 - Nov 2 with 4251 viewsSandyman

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 17:57 - Nov 2 by 49thseason

Well, if he is the son of the aforementioned Nigel, pointing out his father's shortcomings will not have done our chances much good if he reads this board will it?
I often think we should drop this referee previews on the basis that they very rarely reflect well on the man who can, at a stroke, affect the game so dramatically. As my old grannie used to say ... "if you can't say something nice, shut up".

Where in this preview has anything derogatory been written? I find these articles enlightening and factually based.
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:06 - Nov 2 with 4197 viewsRAFCBLUE

I thought, and in most cases (despite witnessing some shocking refs over many years) I still do that all officials that ref our games are good enough to be impartial.

That being said I can't think of an official who is corrupt enough to read a messageboard preview of them, dislike it and then punish us in the game they ref because of it - but there will be one somewhere that exists.

Good ref don't affect the game dramatically, they give the decisions that are needed based on the events in front of them.

If anything, it is the bad refs who impact the game with their decision making.

Most of the ones I'm thinking of are long retired but that stick in my memory over a the last 25 years are:

* Nigel MIller
* Jarnail Singh - for a game away at Northampton
* Rob Styles - for the Leyton Orient game where Hill was sent off under 30 seconds
* Jeff Winter - for multiple bad performances
* K. Lunt
* ? Redfearn.

Others will have their "bad" ref views too, so that list will grow.

Fortunately, I think the standard of refereeing has improved significantly over the years and that most refs are capable now of some type of review of their own performance, good bad or indifferent.

If Nigel's son is reading this, I hope he has a good game for his big occassion and that he lets the game flow, without being unnecessarily spoiling of the spectacle. If we don't see or hear from him when we don't need to then he has done his job.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:53 - Nov 2 with 4151 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 16:58 - Nov 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

My thoughts were similar.......send him to San Spotty to learn his trade, they know a shockin ref or two down there......

We'll see?

What did you think when teenagers Callum Camps (v Sheffield Wednesday) and Joel Logan (v Nottingham Forest) appeared in high profile FA Cup ties?

I would imagine Mr Miller has officiated at a damned sight more games than some of us have seen since he took up the whistle.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:57 - Nov 2 with 4144 viewsTVOS1907

How do the previews affect the game? They are just factual and statistical and occasionally anecdotal.

We’re talking Rochdale v Bromley on rochdaleafc.com, not the sort of stuff regularly seen before top flight games.

I doubt this messageboard would pop into any official’s mind in the split second needed to make decisions!

Login to get fewer ads

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:57 - Nov 2 with 4145 viewssoulboy

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:06 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

I thought, and in most cases (despite witnessing some shocking refs over many years) I still do that all officials that ref our games are good enough to be impartial.

That being said I can't think of an official who is corrupt enough to read a messageboard preview of them, dislike it and then punish us in the game they ref because of it - but there will be one somewhere that exists.

Good ref don't affect the game dramatically, they give the decisions that are needed based on the events in front of them.

Most of the ones I'm thinking of are long retired but that stick in my memory over a the last 25 years are:

* Nigel MIller
* Rob Styles - for the Leyton Orient game where Hill was sent off under 30 seconds
* K. Lunt
* ? Redfearn.

Fortunately, I think the standard of refereeing has improved significantly over the years and that most refs are capable now of some type of review of their own performance, good bad or indifferent.

If Nigel's son is reading this, I hope he has a good game for his big occassion and that he lets the game flow, without being unnecessarily spoiling of the spectacle. If we don't see or hear from him when we don't need to then he has done his job.

All the refs you named were, or seemed to be, anti Rochdale with the exception of Whitley Bay's Ken Redfern. If he refereed a Dale match there was more than a good chance we may avoid defeat. I remember a home game against Stockport near the end of either 82/83 season or 83/84. A win was pretty much essential and Ken came up with the goods in the first half by awarding an extremely dubious penalty after centre forward Micky French had gone down in apparently excrutiating agony following the slightest contact with the keeper. After the 1 0 win Ken was in the players lounge having a pint with DK and he was overheard saying something along the lines of 'well David, those 3 points should see us through safely'! Afterwards he was known as the Chinese ref, one pen Ken!
As well as the ones mentiond, defeat was almost guaranteed if Peter Willis , Keith Hackett, and a ref from Wales Frranken Roberts?were in charge.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 20:08]
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:21 - Nov 2 with 4116 viewsD_Dale

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 19:06 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

* Nigel MIller
* K. Lunt
* ? Redfearn.

If Nigel Miller is/was who I think he is/was - 100% bald (or shaven head) with a walrus 'tash - I've no bad memories of him. I seem to recall him as the ref when Dale demolished Macclesfield 5-0 (first half hat-trick for Dagnall, a brace for Glenn Murray).

Ken Redfern too was a welcome sight, if I'm right in recalling him as the ref when Dale played Gretna in the cup. Our keeper raced out of the area and almost launched into space Gretna's forward who was advancing with the ball. Yellow card only.

But I agree about Styles. He always seemed to have it in for Dale. Not sorry when he started to mess up Premiership matches and was effectively dumped.

My list of refs whose appointment caused a groan include David Elleray, a pernickety public school master who gave us nothing, and Andy D'Urso, who wasn't so much anti-Dale as totally inconsistent.

As for Nigel's lad, I'll reserve judgement - though I can't see why he'd favour Vanarama League clubs. In his 8 matches so far this season he's shown 24 yellow cards and one red.
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:49 - Nov 2 with 4088 viewsRAFCBLUE

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:21 - Nov 2 by D_Dale

If Nigel Miller is/was who I think he is/was - 100% bald (or shaven head) with a walrus 'tash - I've no bad memories of him. I seem to recall him as the ref when Dale demolished Macclesfield 5-0 (first half hat-trick for Dagnall, a brace for Glenn Murray).

Ken Redfern too was a welcome sight, if I'm right in recalling him as the ref when Dale played Gretna in the cup. Our keeper raced out of the area and almost launched into space Gretna's forward who was advancing with the ball. Yellow card only.

But I agree about Styles. He always seemed to have it in for Dale. Not sorry when he started to mess up Premiership matches and was effectively dumped.

My list of refs whose appointment caused a groan include David Elleray, a pernickety public school master who gave us nothing, and Andy D'Urso, who wasn't so much anti-Dale as totally inconsistent.

As for Nigel's lad, I'll reserve judgement - though I can't see why he'd favour Vanarama League clubs. In his 8 matches so far this season he's shown 24 yellow cards and one red.

Yes the same Nigel Miller.

Famously, prior to his referring appointments, the linesman in the Premier League game at Elland Road, whilst on sick leave with his employer (the Police).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1407532/Police-sergeant-on-sick-leave-was

He had a mixed reviews and according to one database, reffed our home game vs Coventry in April this year.

I don't know, or care, whether his son, Andrew is a good or bad ref, my concern comes from the appointment of an untried individual at a level which, financially, is importat to all clubs.

Andrew Miller has only reffed 29 competitive games to date.

One bad decision from an less experienced referee may cost a club a chance at a lucrative third round tie. To be clear, this is not just because Miller has our game but whichever game he is appointed, he is untested.

If the FA believe he's good enough then they should put him on the league list - but he's not in the eyes who judge him and so for the League club it's a risk. It's not just him either, there are three others making their debuts in this competition.

If you need to use these refs then give them the games that fit what (as an FA) you consider to be their weekly performance level of non-league football.

There are four non-league refs and four all non-league ties. That would seem a more sensible fit for Andrew's current skill level to give him a game which is:

AFC Fylde v Kidderminster Harriers
Hereford v AFC Telford United
Leatherhead v Billericay Town
Gainsborough Trinity v Slough Town

Given timings and other ref availabilities, he won't ref a Round 2 game so why have him here?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 20:57]

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:56 - Nov 2 with 4078 viewsD_Alien

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:49 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

Famously, prior to his referring appointments, the linesman in the Premier League game at Elland Road, whilst on sick leave with his employer (the Police).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1407532/Police-sergeant-on-sick-leave-was

He had a mixed reviews and according to one database, reffed our home game vs Coventry in April this year.

I don't know, or care, whether his son, Andrew is a good or bad ref, my concern comes from the appointment of an untried individual at a level which, financially, is importat to all clubs.

One bad decision from an less experienced referee may cost a club a chance at a lucrative third round tie. To be clear, this is not just because Miller has our game but whichever game he is appointed, he is untested.

If the FA believe he's good enough then they should put him on the league list - but he's not in the eyes who judge him and so for the League club it's a risk. It's not just him either, there are three others making their debuts in this competition.

If you need to use these refs then give them the games that fit what (as an FA) you consider to be their weekly performance level of non-league football.

There are four non-league refs and four all non-league ties. That would seem a more sensible fit for Andrew's current skill level to give him a game which is:

Given timings and other ref availabilities, he won't ref a Round 2 game so why have him here?

I see it as a simple, natural progression to a football league ground, no quibbles whatsoever

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:13 - Nov 2 with 4052 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:49 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

You’re showing a lot of ignorance about how the system works.

To be given this game, he will be near the top of the merit table and therefore, a potential promotion candidate.

It’s not a case of him not yet being good enough for the EFL. He has to go through the same promotion steps as all other officials and, at the next promotion ‘window’, he might find he makes the step up, if his marks (from clubs and assessors) merit it.

They do it at Premier League level with the top EFL referees (Chris Kavanagh last season; he’s now in the PL), so this is just an extension of that.

It seems to me eminently sensible to give him the reward and experience of refereeing at an EFL ground, especially as it could determine whether he is suitable or not for promotion next year.

It’s a little bit like Dale’s signing of Craig Dawson or Jordan Williams and easing them in gently.

And the all non-League ties are being refereed by other ‘non-League refs’, by the way.

The problem now is that if he makes a mistake on Saturday, it will be because he’s refereeing beyond his level and not just because he’s made a genuine error, which even the likes of Michael Oliver are capable of.

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:26 - Nov 2 with 4032 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 20:56 - Nov 2 by D_Alien

I see it as a simple, natural progression to a football league ground, no quibbles whatsoever

Absolutely, and a crowd of around 2000, with 200 away fans, is fairly non-threatening, which is probably why this game has been chosen.

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:39 - Nov 2 with 4002 viewsRAFCBLUE

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:13 - Nov 2 by TVOS1907

You’re showing a lot of ignorance about how the system works.

To be given this game, he will be near the top of the merit table and therefore, a potential promotion candidate.

It’s not a case of him not yet being good enough for the EFL. He has to go through the same promotion steps as all other officials and, at the next promotion ‘window’, he might find he makes the step up, if his marks (from clubs and assessors) merit it.

They do it at Premier League level with the top EFL referees (Chris Kavanagh last season; he’s now in the PL), so this is just an extension of that.

It seems to me eminently sensible to give him the reward and experience of refereeing at an EFL ground, especially as it could determine whether he is suitable or not for promotion next year.

It’s a little bit like Dale’s signing of Craig Dawson or Jordan Williams and easing them in gently.

And the all non-League ties are being refereed by other ‘non-League refs’, by the way.

The problem now is that if he makes a mistake on Saturday, it will be because he’s refereeing beyond his level and not just because he’s made a genuine error, which even the likes of Michael Oliver are capable of.

I disagree that it's ignorance TVOS - I know how the system works.

It's my opinion that he's not ready for a cup tie in Round 1 of the FA Cup.

That opinion is formed on him only having 29 competitive games of referring under his belt at a level that is two leagues below where we play. As I said, he might be good or bad but it's not the game to risk him. Not our game or any game IMO in Round 1 of the FA Cup.

Soccerbase has him as reffing only 21 games last season in a league that had 42 games - was he not good enough to get a game every week or not available?

So far this campaign he's done 8 games at that level, where most National League games have had 17/18 games - again less than 50%. The top ref there has done 13 games

He's not at the stage of doing games weekly at National League level. How he can be top or near the top of the merit league after only 8 games this season?

There are enough league refs to ref this whole round of 40 fixtures spread over 4 days but for whatever reason, that is not the FA choice. They could take some of the refs not being utilised for the Premier League but choose to promote an untested.

Give him the experience as a fourth official at a Round 1 FA Cup tie working with an experience ref or a League 2 game to ref by all means - reward him if his performances are good, but do not put him under the pressure and scrutiny of making a mistake or being the talking point.

If he is a talking point now, its bad for him, bad for younger referees generally and bad for the side on the receiving end of that bad decision. The FA did not need to put him in that position.

There as school of thought that he might have got this game because of who his Dad is. I do hope the FA are not being that nepotistic. It must be hard for the four non National League refs not chosen to see Andrew Miller picked ahead of them.

However I am puzzled as to why he doesn't get a game every week in the National League even if he is a fast tracked ref. There are seven more experienced National League refs than him currently however he is deemed to be in the top 4.

Neil Hair IMO is the best ref in the National League currently and will be the League appointment at the end of this season. Andrew Miller is a long way short of experience to be anywhere near Neil or some of the others.

I hope its a non-point come the final whistle on Saturday but only an observation.

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:47 - Nov 2 with 3990 viewsShun

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:39 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

That opinion is formed on him only having 29 competitive games of referring under his belt at a level that is two leagues below where we play. As I said, he might be good or bad but it's not the game to risk him. Not our game or any game IMO in Round 1 of the FA Cup.

Soccerbase has him as reffing only 21 games last season in a league that had 42 games - was he not good enough to get a game every week or not available?

So far this campaign he's done 8 games at that level, where most National League games have had 17/18 games - again less than 50%. The top ref there has done 13 games

He's not at the stage of doing games weekly at National League level. How he can be top or near the top of the merit league after only 8 games this season?

There are enough league refs to ref this whole round of 40 fixtures spread over 4 days but for whatever reason, that is not the FA choice. They could take some of the refs not being utilised for the Premier League but choose to promote an untested.

Give him the experience as a fourth official at a Round 1 FA Cup tie working with an experience ref or a League 2 game to ref by all means - reward him if his performances are good, but do not put him under the pressure and scrutiny of making a mistake or being the talking point.

If he is a talking point now, its bad for him, bad for younger referees generally and bad for the side on the receiving end of that bad decision. The FA did not need to put him in that position.

There as school of thought that he might have got this game because of who his Dad is. I do hope the FA are not being that nepotistic. It must be hard for the four non National League refs not chosen to see Andrew Miller picked ahead of them.

However I am puzzled as to why he doesn't get a game every week in the National League even if he is a fast tracked ref. There are seven more experienced National League refs than him currently however he is deemed to be in the top 4.

Neil Hair IMO is the best ref in the National League currently and will be the League appointment at the end of this season. Andrew Miller is a long way short of experience to be anywhere near Neil or some of the others.

I hope its a non-point come the final whistle on Saturday but only an observation.

I don't think he is a talking point now though. You're the only one who seems to have an issue with the appointment, and if you hadn't brought it up nobody would've batted an eyelid.
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:48 - Nov 2 with 3989 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:39 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

Premier League referees don’t get a game every week as there are more referees than fixtures! Similarly in all the other leagues as you filter down.

Unless you’ve seen his assessments and marks, it’s not possible to comment on whether he is ready or not for this game.

Last season he was also an EFL assistant, as well as refereeing in other leagues not recorded on Soccerbase.

Whose school of thought suggests he’s got this game because he’s Nigel Miller’s son? Did Michael Oliver get onto the League list because he was Clive Oliver’s son or was it on merit?

And Neil Hair is refereeing at Exeter this weekend, by the way. Having researched him, he’s aged 36 now and may struggle to get to the Premier League.

Edit: I would also add that this scheme has been running for a few years now without, as I seem to recall, much comment or controversy
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 22:48]

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 22:16 - Nov 2 with 3961 viewsRAFCBLUE

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 21:48 - Nov 2 by TVOS1907

Premier League referees don’t get a game every week as there are more referees than fixtures! Similarly in all the other leagues as you filter down.

Unless you’ve seen his assessments and marks, it’s not possible to comment on whether he is ready or not for this game.

Last season he was also an EFL assistant, as well as refereeing in other leagues not recorded on Soccerbase.

Whose school of thought suggests he’s got this game because he’s Nigel Miller’s son? Did Michael Oliver get onto the League list because he was Clive Oliver’s son or was it on merit?

And Neil Hair is refereeing at Exeter this weekend, by the way. Having researched him, he’s aged 36 now and may struggle to get to the Premier League.

Edit: I would also add that this scheme has been running for a few years now without, as I seem to recall, much comment or controversy
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 22:48]

I can't explain why, in the circumstances you've described - where there are spare qualified referees at every level, - the choice is to give a referee with only 29 National League games a tie.

It's a risk for us as the League club to have such a ref. A leveller for the non-league team. He's already reffed a Bromley game this season - their 2-2 draw at AFC Fylde.

I'm puzzled by it; no idea if Nigel Miller is/was involved but the league is awash with ex-referees and their sons in the game. It's a small world.

Neil Hair is a quality ref - he will got all the way to the Premier League list I think. He had an equivalent FA Cup game last year which was an all non-league affair. His dad was also a football league official with 12 years as a linesman.

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 22:19 - Nov 2 with 3954 viewsR17ALE

Blimey. Your Gran was posh!

Mine used to say, "if tha hasn't got owt nice to say, then say nowt".

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 22:26 - Nov 2 with 3943 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 22:16 - Nov 2 by RAFCBLUE

I can't explain why, in the circumstances you've described - where there are spare qualified referees at every level, - the choice is to give a referee with only 29 National League games a tie.

It's a risk for us as the League club to have such a ref. A leveller for the non-league team. He's already reffed a Bromley game this season - their 2-2 draw at AFC Fylde.

I'm puzzled by it; no idea if Nigel Miller is/was involved but the league is awash with ex-referees and their sons in the game. It's a small world.

Neil Hair is a quality ref - he will got all the way to the Premier League list I think. He had an equivalent FA Cup game last year which was an all non-league affair. His dad was also a football league official with 12 years as a linesman.

I’m not puzzled by it at all because it’s how the system works and people in the know have obviously made the appointment based on the relevant evidence.

And having thought about it, I would suggest geography precludes him from getting more games, as there are a lot of southern teams at home every week in that league and travelling distances are a lot more stringent at that level.

As regards his father, it’s no different to fathers and sons being players,is it?

Unless it’s Chris Lee?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 22:43]

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 08:48 - Nov 3 with 3820 viewsrochdaleriddler

Not getting over excited by this, I have seen referees at spotland that were so incompetent it beggared belief. As for him reffing at a lower level, are the rules different? He has hardly been given Burnley/Blackburn to officiate, be lucky if a song breaks out at the COA nowadays #whitehotatmosphere

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 17:28 - Nov 4 with 3536 viewsD_Dale

Dale penalty. Bromley player sent off. 4-0 win.

Any complaints (other than that booking for McNulty)?
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 17:46 - Nov 4 with 3494 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 17:28 - Nov 4 by D_Dale

Dale penalty. Bromley player sent off. 4-0 win.

Any complaints (other than that booking for McNulty)?

On another day, with a different referee, McNulty could have been sent-off.

Fortunately, the hysteria over the appointment proved unfounded.

Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 18:02 - Nov 4 with 3451 viewsdalenumber2

Why was their man sent off? I missed it completely.
Refwatch: Dale v Bromley on 18:02 - Nov 4 with 3450 viewsscarrow

Ref had a decent game.

Poll: Final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024