Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Queen 13:08 - Sep 8 with 59297 viewsSuperhoops2808

As if we didnt need more rubbish news, now the Queen appears to be very poorly
The Queen on 13:00 - Sep 9 with 3132 viewsDamo1962

The Queen on 11:37 - Sep 9 by Rangersw12

To be expected by those wrong uns

Best to keep off social media for a while some horrible people about

That's what I'm doing. Be interesting to see if SR football club say anything about it.
The Queen on 13:01 - Sep 9 with 3110 viewsDamo1962

The Queen on 12:58 - Sep 9 by Phildo

I saw a piece last night somewhere that said she was someone who when at home sat with one bar on an electric fire so as not to waste electricity and I think that gives a clue to the respect she was held in by those who revere the monarchy and more importantly those who do not.

In other words she was the head of state, mixed with all those world leaders, went everywhere but remained a humble and dedicated person.

As with some of the posters above I am not really a monarchist - and equally not really a revolutionary either. She was a constant however and when there was a politician in number 10 you were not too keen on it was comforting to know that they reported to someone - however symbolically - for their actions.

I do think she will be missed and it is the end of an era. We all at times struggle with change and some will feel that in different ways. I hope it does not turn into something where people on either sides of these debates go outrage hunting. If you feel that way maybe just think of her example. From Trump to Mugabe to McGuiness she just got the family silver out provided a welcome and tried to do her best.

That's lovely Phildo 👍
The Queen on 13:17 - Sep 9 with 3046 viewsNorthantsHoop

The Queen on 10:21 - Sep 9 by Damo1962

Absolutely heart- broken today. God bless you, and Rest in Peace, Elizabeth Mountbatten Windsor. Your like will never be seen again. Like many, I was not a big flag waver, but the constant attack on Britain and it's institution's from the rabid Left...has made me change my opinions. Having just turned 60, has probably changed me too. But give me the Monarchy any day over self- serving politicians. Charles will be a good King I reckon, as he will have learned so much from his Mother.

Absolutely agree, our constitutional monarchy gives us just the right balance between the state and government. Our Queen in counsel with her various PMs over the years no doubt let it be known when she was ill at ease with the direction of her government.
The Queen on 13:36 - Sep 9 with 2976 viewsw7r

The Queen on 18:59 - Sep 8 by connell10

I'm not a royalist but Elizabeth did a fine job. R.I.P

Same here, she did a great job.

I can’t imagine how painful it must have been for her as a mum, and grandmother to go through the Andrew scandal and the Prince Harry carry-on.

May she rest in peace.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 13:37]
The Queen on 14:13 - Sep 9 with 2825 viewsR_from_afar

The Archbishop of York just told what I thought was a wonderful story about when he stayed with the Queen. He mentioned the way she made everyone feel welcome and included but more interestingly, he related how, when everyone else had gone, she got out a jigsaw - the most fiendishly difficult one he had ever seen - and invited him to help her with it.

She went out to walk the dogs later and he quipped that if she couldn't find it when she returned, that would be because he had thrown it into the fire in frustration.

RIP ma'am

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Queen on 14:22 - Sep 9 with 2772 viewspaulparker

The Queen on 10:51 - Sep 9 by Sonofpugwash

Trevor has just deleted his Twitter account.

Or gave his phone to Rebecca Vardy to accidentally “lose”

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Queen on 14:25 - Sep 9 with 2762 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I'm not a huge fan of the Royal family but I recognise the unstinting service that the Queen provided to the realm for 70 years and the dignity in which she carried out her duties. Truly the end of an era. RIP Elizabeth.

As for Sinclair, he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. Take a leaf out of Lewis Hamilton's book, Trevor.
The Queen on 16:10 - Sep 9 with 2524 viewsClive_Anderson

I knew it would be a sad day for the country, but I surprised myself how sad I feel personally.

She was a constant that was there for our entire lives to represent the country and essentially all of us. In over 400 public engagements every year well into her 90s she never put a single foot wrong, no controversy, no complaints, no engaging in politics, no diplomatic faux pas, she took her pledge to serve the country 100% seriously each and every day right up to the day she died.

I don't think we'll see anyone like her ever again.
Login to get fewer ads

The Queen on 16:53 - Sep 9 with 2423 viewsBklynRanger

I wouldn't want to be up against John Simpson in a 'Memories of the Queen' face-off.

I've only caught some of his stuff but he seems to have a terrifying amount of non-filler recollections.
The Queen on 17:46 - Sep 9 with 2298 viewsDamo1962

The Queen on 16:10 - Sep 9 by Clive_Anderson

I knew it would be a sad day for the country, but I surprised myself how sad I feel personally.

She was a constant that was there for our entire lives to represent the country and essentially all of us. In over 400 public engagements every year well into her 90s she never put a single foot wrong, no controversy, no complaints, no engaging in politics, no diplomatic faux pas, she took her pledge to serve the country 100% seriously each and every day right up to the day she died.

I don't think we'll see anyone like her ever again.

She probably worked harder than a lot of those who criticise her.
The Queen on 18:17 - Sep 9 with 2249 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Thought the King made a great speech.

Sounds weird saying King....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The Queen on 19:17 - Sep 9 with 2163 viewsDWQPR

The Queen on 18:17 - Sep 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Agreed. Off to a good start. And it was certainly fitting to bestow the title of Prince of Wales on William. These guys should run a football club. Transfer window would be over in minutes.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The Queen on 19:24 - Sep 9 with 2142 viewsMick_S

The Queen on 19:17 - Sep 9 by DWQPR

Agreed. Off to a good start. And it was certainly fitting to bestow the title of Prince of Wales on William. These guys should run a football club. Transfer window would be over in minutes.

Don’t mess about, do they.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The Queen on 19:29 - Sep 9 with 2131 viewsTheRam

The Queen on 14:41 - Sep 8 by Sonofpugwash

It'll be rather strange to see someone elses head on the coinage and notes.
The longest serving British monarch,I remember her Coronation as a kid - still got the egg cup.

Still got the egg? X
The Queen on 19:30 - Sep 9 with 2129 viewsTheRam

The Queen on 13:37 - Sep 8 by ted_hendrix

I've been on the throne for the last 20 minutes, bloody burger last night tasted a bit iffy and I reckon that was the cause anyway bit of a struggle but It's gone now.
20 bloody minutes sat on the throne probably a record for me.

Richard III? X
The Queen on 20:13 - Sep 9 with 2058 viewsA40Bosh

The Queen on 17:46 - Sep 9 by Damo1962

She probably worked harder than a lot of those who criticise her.

……Than those who criticise her.

Sorry for this, trying to drown a cold 🥶 in neat Jameson this evening and will say this only, I suspect that that poor old 96 year old great grandmother hauled herself out of her bed afainst advice and after doctors removed the cannulas out of her bruised hands and her team dressed her as she insisted on doing her duty to put one last PM in office, whilst a bloke who scored an overhead kick and later pissed his trousers in the back of a police car and hurled racist abuse at a copper cannot keep his own opinions to himself for just one day no matter how valid or invalid his arguments may be on racism.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The Queen on 20:44 - Sep 9 with 2014 viewsSuperhoops2808

The Queen on 18:17 - Sep 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Certainly hit the correct note with that speech

On a side note, there are some great tributes on this post and when I started the post of course I didn't expect it to end up the way things have.

On a side note, and I respect everyone's comments (minus the odd one, but there always is on LFW) but why do people feel the need to say at the start of any tribute 'I am not a Royalist - But'?? I don't get why that's really relevant but maybe I'm stupid
The Queen on 20:49 - Sep 9 with 1994 viewsBklynRanger

Not meaning to be rude but I think that's possible.

(See the similarly cautious tone?....)
The Queen on 21:17 - Sep 9 with 1923 viewsLblock

Well I am a Royalist (not in the Reading FC Fake Hoop sense) and proud of it.

Genuinely touched by the overwhelming opinion on Queenie and that people aren't piling in.
Dismayed at stories of celebrations of the passing in certain areas at Friday gatherings but no matter.

Had to head up West today and I have to say... the HD billboard at Piccadilly Circus was beautiful as was the Post Office tower tribute.

The UK can be so classy with these things sometimes.

I'll raise another Spanish beer to you M'am shortly.

RIP

GSTK

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Queen on 22:18 - Sep 9 with 1792 viewsCiderwithRsie

AS someone who is mildly monarchist (mainly on the don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke principle) I've always thought that when she went there might be a move to a republic, but I find I'm slightly more monarchist now.

I'm struck by the tributes from abroad including from people you might not expect e.g. Macron and most surprisingly of all Michelle O'Neill of Sinn Fein (technically not from abroad as she's from NI, but in her opinion it's abroad, or ought to be.)

Don't think you'd get that if it was e.g. President of Germany or of India (neither of who I could name.) OK partly that's because the Queen was around forever (though that's what can happen with a monarch rather than a president) and partly because of her personality, but the mystique of royalty will at least give Charles III a head start. Soft power matters and maybe as a country we'd do better if we used it more than we do hard power, which tends to kill people.

I actually wonder whether the UK has failed to make the best use of the sort of goodwill that the Queen could create. She bust a gut to make the Commonwealth work and I can't help wondering if the reason it has never taken off as intended is because no-one in government matched her effort. IMO she was actually more up-front about some of the bad stuff in Anglo-Irish relations than a lot of British PMs or foreign secs were willing to be e.g. her visit to Croke Park.
The Queen on 22:29 - Sep 9 with 1761 viewsTheRam

The Queen on 12:57 - Sep 9 by Damo1962

Wouldn't expect anything else from Fenians. They aren't fit to lick her shoes.

Really? Has it come to this already. Leave it out mate x
The Queen on 22:34 - Sep 9 with 1741 viewsTheRam

The Queen on 22:18 - Sep 9 by CiderwithRsie

AS someone who is mildly monarchist (mainly on the don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke principle) I've always thought that when she went there might be a move to a republic, but I find I'm slightly more monarchist now.

I'm struck by the tributes from abroad including from people you might not expect e.g. Macron and most surprisingly of all Michelle O'Neill of Sinn Fein (technically not from abroad as she's from NI, but in her opinion it's abroad, or ought to be.)

Don't think you'd get that if it was e.g. President of Germany or of India (neither of who I could name.) OK partly that's because the Queen was around forever (though that's what can happen with a monarch rather than a president) and partly because of her personality, but the mystique of royalty will at least give Charles III a head start. Soft power matters and maybe as a country we'd do better if we used it more than we do hard power, which tends to kill people.

I actually wonder whether the UK has failed to make the best use of the sort of goodwill that the Queen could create. She bust a gut to make the Commonwealth work and I can't help wondering if the reason it has never taken off as intended is because no-one in government matched her effort. IMO she was actually more up-front about some of the bad stuff in Anglo-Irish relations than a lot of British PMs or foreign secs were willing to be e.g. her visit to Croke Park.

Very interesting thought provoking points x
The Queen on 09:21 - Sep 10 with 1382 viewsSonofpugwash

The Queen on 19:29 - Sep 9 by TheRam

Still got the egg? X

It was off.
Still got the shits x

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

The Queen on 10:42 - Sep 10 with 1306 viewsDiscodroids

Gawd blimey, that table being used for signing the proclamation is a bit tight for room . My pasting table in the shed would have been more fit for purpose.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The Queen on 10:59 - Sep 10 with 1265 viewshantssi

The Queen on 10:42 - Sep 10 by Discodroids

Gawd blimey, that table being used for signing the proclamation is a bit tight for room . My pasting table in the shed would have been more fit for purpose.

Absolutely!
Also thought it was funny that William had to ask for a pen as Charles had brought his own!
Also when Charles signed the second document he asked for the ink wells to be moved as they were in the way!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024