Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing 12:37 - Feb 20 with 55447 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just hope it works out with him.
Couldn't bear to see a legend get ripped apart by our fans.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:47 - Feb 20 with 3089 viewsCynicalR

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:43 - Feb 20 by Padulas_Shampoo

That’s the spirit!

So we shouldn't consider these things?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:48 - Feb 20 with 3071 viewsRangersDave

This could be the perfect appointment if it happens....

1) we are definately cash strapped, so Gareth would get a 'pass' from the fans regarding signings etc
2) it may be a clever move by the board, resigning themselves to league 1, and simply 'getting ready'.
3) Gareth really has a pretty good record for his experience.
4) i'll never forget him putting on the shirt at Wycombe in front of the fans
5) There's bugger all else available within the price range.
6) he's a great guy, but is also tough when he needs to be...been there, done that.
Plus he talks to the fans....i remember up in the rain at Blackpool where we won 3-0, he came over during the pre match and talked to a few of us...... he's got a bloody strong grip.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:49 - Feb 20 with 3068 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:47 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

So we shouldn't consider these things?

Course we should - only joking mate.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:51 - Feb 20 with 3034 viewsdaveB

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:10 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

What happens if the reason why he's been at Wycombe Wanderers for 10 years with no-one else taking a punt on him is because he's not good enough?

What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?

What happens when seasoned defenders make his long-ball game look like a relic from the 1980s?

There's a lot of reasons why fans will be quick to turn against him.

Something to remember is also that he isn't a club legend but a cult hero which will not afford him the respect both Francis in his second spell and Wilkins got despite clearly being the wrong person for the job.

This has the potential to be a nightmare both on and off the pitch.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 13:11]

you could those same kind of comments about any manager who comes in.
What had Warburton won to earn their respect or Beale?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:57 - Feb 20 with 2956 viewsCynicalR

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:51 - Feb 20 by daveB

you could those same kind of comments about any manager who comes in.
What had Warburton won to earn their respect or Beale?

Warburton had managed one of the biggest clubs in Europe and also had a decent record in this division.

Beale may have been unknown to most fans in the country but inside the game he already had a reputation as 'one to watch'.

Gareth Ainsworth has managed Wycombe Wanders in the 3rd division for 9 out of the last 10 years and no other club has been heavily linked with him bar us.

There is a BIG difference.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:00 - Feb 20 with 2910 viewsBklynRanger

Clive, Dave Mc and a few others will have a more analytical way of expressing this, but for me we're back at the old faithful "fcuk it let's give him a go" stage.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:03 - Feb 20 with 2872 viewsRs_Holy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:43 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

It doesn't work like that.

The homegrown players have been exposed to the management of a former England manager, Warburton who was one of the most respected coaches at this level an Michael Beale who was/is considered one of the best young coaches in the country and, possibly, further afield.

We have players we've brought in who have played at Chelsea, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven, Spurs and Manchester United and they will ask questions about someone who the most high-profile club he has managed is Wycombe Wanderers and the most high-profile player is Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Unless he is brought in by the club expecting relegation and getting the building blocks in already, he will have a couple of months at best to win the players over.

It's unlikely to happen in my opinion.

"Michael Beale who was/is considered one of the best young coaches in the country and, possibly, further afield." ... and thought he was too big for QPR.

"We have players we've brought in who have played at Chelsea, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven, Spurs and Manchester United"... and most of those think they are too good for QPR.

How about we go back to the way the club was ie hungry players who considered it an honour to play for a club like QPR? Give me a modern equivalent to Wild Thang/Lee Cook/Martin Rowlands/Danny Shittu as opposed to Iroegbunam/Roberts/JCS/Lowe etc any day of the week.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 14:06]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:03 - Feb 20 with 2871 viewsR_from_afar

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:10 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

What happens if the reason why he's been at Wycombe Wanderers for 10 years with no-one else taking a punt on him is because he's not good enough?

What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?

What happens when seasoned defenders make his long-ball game look like a relic from the 1980s?

There's a lot of reasons why fans will be quick to turn against him.

Something to remember is also that he isn't a club legend but a cult hero which will not afford him the respect both Francis in his second spell and Wilkins got despite clearly being the wrong person for the job.

This has the potential to be a nightmare both on and off the pitch.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 13:11]

"What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?"

He could say that he is the only manager to have taken them into the second tier in their 136 year history.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:10 - Feb 20 with 2773 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:57 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

Warburton had managed one of the biggest clubs in Europe and also had a decent record in this division.

Beale may have been unknown to most fans in the country but inside the game he already had a reputation as 'one to watch'.

Gareth Ainsworth has managed Wycombe Wanders in the 3rd division for 9 out of the last 10 years and no other club has been heavily linked with him bar us.

There is a BIG difference.

That isn't true. They've been in the 3rd division for 4 years out of the 11 he's been manager.

Are you sure you know his managerial career well enough to be branding him a poor choice so vociferously?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:15 - Feb 20 with 2693 viewsslmrstid

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:43 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

It doesn't work like that.

The homegrown players have been exposed to the management of a former England manager, Warburton who was one of the most respected coaches at this level an Michael Beale who was/is considered one of the best young coaches in the country and, possibly, further afield.

We have players we've brought in who have played at Chelsea, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven, Spurs and Manchester United and they will ask questions about someone who the most high-profile club he has managed is Wycombe Wanderers and the most high-profile player is Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Unless he is brought in by the club expecting relegation and getting the building blocks in already, he will have a couple of months at best to win the players over.

It's unlikely to happen in my opinion.

In the politest way possible...this is nonsense.

None of our players have achieved anything noteworthy in their careers, with the exception of probably Dieng and even then he only played the easy group games last year whilst Mendy was injured.

If whoever they've previously played for, and wherever they've come from, gives them a feeling of superiority over any manager, then again all that suggests to me is that it is them who are the problem and not anyone else. So anyone with that attitude can bugger off.

To be quite frank its no different to hearing of one of our players slagging off NC in a pub last week - NC may have been terrible but all that says to me about that player is he's a twt who we're better off without.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:17 - Feb 20 with 2672 viewsRokerite

If he gets the job it will be a case of "finally". I've been expecting him to be appointed either by you or Blackburn for the last five years or so.

He has earned a crack at a Championship club as he has done exceptionally well at Wycombe, a club who average little more than 5,500, over a long period.

I wouldn't want to be the man who succeeds him at Adams Park.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:17 - Feb 20 with 2668 viewsrobith

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:12 - Feb 20 by Ned_Kennedys

Who cares about a few social media idiots though?
Every club has its share of fvckwit’fans’.
I’m sure Ainsworth doesn’t give a damn about social media: he’s done the job long enough.

It's not a few is the thing
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:30 - Feb 20 with 2513 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:30 - Feb 20 with 2508 viewsPhildo

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:40 - Feb 20 with 2401 viewsJuzzie

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:46 - Feb 20 by Rangersw12

Good luck to him

Don't understand this narrative that we will rip him apart?, the support in the actual grounds has been good for previous managers and it's only the loud minority on twitter who are dcks

If the results suffer he, or whoever else gets the job, will get ripped apart. Just like every other Manager previously and the current DoF, CEO and owners are.
That's why I posted the other day that football in general should move away from social media, it's not a good place to be and, as you rightly say, doesn't seem to fit the narrative of the people at the ground.

"He has to go" That should be their new motto.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 14:42]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:41 - Feb 20 with 2388 viewsngbqpr

Anyone know if he was actually considered / spoken to in the summer?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:42 - Feb 20 with 2380 viewsloftus77

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:00 - Feb 20 by BklynRanger

Clive, Dave Mc and a few others will have a more analytical way of expressing this, but for me we're back at the old faithful "fcuk it let's give him a go" stage.

In amongst all the forensic, analytical, strategic pontification going on, it's this, isn't it? It just comes down to this.

On a mostly unrelated note (?), I didn't realise that Rushden & Diamonds FC don't exist anymore. Always think of them when Wild Thing is mentioned.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 14:46]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:46 - Feb 20 with 2311 viewsQPR_John

In talks with Wycombe re compensation I hear

Whoops. Really should check earlier post
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 15:05]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:47 - Feb 20 with 2303 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:01 - Feb 20 by daveB

not many legends have been ripped apart as manager. Holloway still very well liked, Gerry Francis awful towards the end but that's forgotten now, Waddock and Alan Mcdonald were dreadful but still loved as great players. Even when Les goes he'll still be remembered as a great player imo.

Taking away the ex player thing, he's an obvious candidate due to the job hes done at Wycombe

I agree, talk of burning a previous rep is overrated. In any event, if Gareth is in the running I'd like to think that it's based on merit rather than any previous association as a player.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:47 - Feb 20 with 2296 viewsBucksRanger

I hope Gareth brings Adebayo Akinfenwa with him for his motivational skills.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:50 - Feb 20 with 2279 viewsdm97

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:42 - Feb 20 by loftus77

In amongst all the forensic, analytical, strategic pontification going on, it's this, isn't it? It just comes down to this.

On a mostly unrelated note (?), I didn't realise that Rushden & Diamonds FC don't exist anymore. Always think of them when Wild Thing is mentioned.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 14:46]

Over analysis in full swing. Fans - actual match going fans - like him, respect him and will want him to do well. Board don’t want a fan-led bonfire. Ergo, a sensitive PR-caring Board do what fans want.

Go and get the air guitar
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:51 - Feb 20 with 2253 viewsJigsore

Welcome Admiral Muskwe...

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:51 - Feb 20 with 2249 viewsPinnerPaul

You'd better hope that doesn't happen then because he will.

What do I know but not sure he has the right skill set for our problems, but then who does!

Top 3 in the betting are GA, Derry and Wilder - a risk, obviously!, think I would plump for Wilder from them, but anyone equally likely to fail as anyone else is my (rather negative) view.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:52 - Feb 20 with 2198 viewsPunteR

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:00 - Feb 20 by BklynRanger

Yeh exactly this.
Unless those algorithms detect managers with rock star qualities.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 14:54 - Feb 20 with 2171 viewsPinnerPaul

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:46 - Feb 20 by Rangersw12

Good luck to him

Don't understand this narrative that we will rip him apart?, the support in the actual grounds has been good for previous managers and it's only the loud minority on twitter who are dcks

That is a fair point. DaveB laughed at me when I said I'm not sure there is/was a 'real life' desire for a demonstration.

Said it before and will say it again, Twitter, Facebook, this forum & others on line do not necessarily mirror the views of the 'silent' majority.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024