Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Play Off Thread 19:08 - Apr 29 with 33960 viewsToast_R

Might as well take an interest, its actually more interesting this season then previous ones with the emergence of Luton, Coventry and Millwall having a go. No Norwich or any of the other Yo-Yo clubs as yet.
Hoping West Brom don't sneak in as I'm rather looking forward to them going into a financial mess.

Like to see Coventry go up. Unpopular opinion I know but also think it would be good for football if Luton win the ultimate prize and get in the big time with their hammer and nails stadium.
The Play Off Thread on 22:00 - May 17 with 2380 viewsdmm

So it's a Luton v Coventry play off final. I reckon Luton will do it.
The Play Off Thread on 22:00 - May 17 with 2375 viewsWatford_Ranger

Good to see 50 coppers getting overtime to stand in between celebrating Coventry players and celebrating Coventry fans.
The Play Off Thread on 22:00 - May 17 with 2367 viewsRs_Holy

The Play Off Thread on 21:34 - May 17 by NorthantsHoop

Both Luton and Coventry deserve a shot at the Premier League, been very good this season and last couple of seasons. Gjokeres superb striker, only cost a £1m apparently.

Mark Robbins is such an underrated manager.... as mentioned it's a cracker of a final... Proper story of how to succeed on a budget.
The Play Off Thread on 22:03 - May 17 with 2313 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Play Off Thread on 22:00 - May 17 by Rs_Holy

Mark Robbins is such an underrated manager.... as mentioned it's a cracker of a final... Proper story of how to succeed on a budget.

That's what happens when you stand by your guy, I suppose. Not every season been a classic under him, but they stayed true and look how he's repaid them.

Bare bones.

The Play Off Thread on 22:06 - May 17 with 2283 viewsJuzzie

PL probably wanted a Sunderland - ‘Boro final so they could have a north east sleeping giant and a Newcastle derby to get all frothy over but will now have to contend with another unfashionable club. Ha!
The Play Off Thread on 22:09 - May 17 with 2232 viewsToast_R

I fancy Coventry to win at Wembley. Mark Robins's return to Old Trafford next season will be some story..
The Play Off Thread on 22:10 - May 17 with 2219 viewsted_hendrix

Don't want to sound disrespectable to both clubs In the final but you could almost call both of them unfashionable clubs In a manner of speaking, bloody well done to both of them and I hope they enjoy their day although one of them will suffer heartbreak.
Luton or Coventry are gonna hit the big time, good luck to both of them.
I do love an underdog.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Play Off Thread on 22:12 - May 17 with 2193 viewsClive_Anderson

Fair play to both Coventry and Luton, both teams been through the ringer massively for the last decade or two. I quite like the idea of Luton's crappy stadium in the Premier League as well.
Login to get fewer ads

The Play Off Thread on 22:14 - May 17 with 2188 viewsswitchingcode

The Play Off Thread on 22:12 - May 17 by Clive_Anderson

Fair play to both Coventry and Luton, both teams been through the ringer massively for the last decade or two. I quite like the idea of Luton's crappy stadium in the Premier League as well.

Luton will use MK dons ground if promoted
The Play Off Thread on 22:14 - May 17 with 2189 viewsRs_Holy

The Play Off Thread on 22:10 - May 17 by ted_hendrix

Don't want to sound disrespectable to both clubs In the final but you could almost call both of them unfashionable clubs In a manner of speaking, bloody well done to both of them and I hope they enjoy their day although one of them will suffer heartbreak.
Luton or Coventry are gonna hit the big time, good luck to both of them.
I do love an underdog.

agree Ted... Man City get to the Champions League Final (YAWN)....
Coventry get to the playoff final against Luton.... Now that is a proper story
[Post edited 18 May 2023 8:57]
The Play Off Thread on 22:24 - May 17 with 2118 viewsngbqpr

One of those nights when you remember that beneath all the tribalism, all us football fans (well for 80 odd clubs out of the 92) are the same really, and can we really begrudge these two their day in the sun?

Whatever irrational (or even rational) dislikes we may have of certain clubs, when you think what Cov and Luton fans have endured over the last 15 years or so, I'm genuinely chuffed for them all.

The Prem having to deal with Luton and their ground would be a hoot, but I hope Cov do it.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Play Off Thread on 22:26 - May 17 with 2100 viewssdm19994

And we can’t compete apparently because of ffp and our grounds too small….
The Play Off Thread on 22:35 - May 17 with 2057 viewsToast_R

Just listening to Mark Robins post match interview. Coventry were botton of the Championship on October 1st. He spoke about the frustration of their pitch problems at the start of the season and it sounded horrendous, Wasps in administration and the new pitch that was promised never materialised when it should have done. First time he's spoken about it. Absolutely incredible that Coventry stuck together and what they have achieved since then. He credits all the hard work to his players and staff.

The boy who saved Alex Ferguson his job (allegedly) might just get to go back to Old Trafford as an incredible manager himself.
The Play Off Thread on 01:08 - May 18 with 1788 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

The Play Off Thread on 01:24 - May 18 with 1770 viewsBoston

Not overly keen on either of them, Coventry and Luton that is.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Play Off Thread on 07:37 - May 18 with 1732 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 22:35 - May 17 by Toast_R

Just listening to Mark Robins post match interview. Coventry were botton of the Championship on October 1st. He spoke about the frustration of their pitch problems at the start of the season and it sounded horrendous, Wasps in administration and the new pitch that was promised never materialised when it should have done. First time he's spoken about it. Absolutely incredible that Coventry stuck together and what they have achieved since then. He credits all the hard work to his players and staff.

The boy who saved Alex Ferguson his job (allegedly) might just get to go back to Old Trafford as an incredible manager himself.

But remember, we have to understand that our poor little lambs collapsed to 2 wins in 28 games because they had three managers and a new training ground.

Coventry were absoltutely fantastic last night. Should have won by more.
The Play Off Thread on 07:54 - May 18 with 1684 viewsSK_hoops

The Play Off Thread on 22:14 - May 17 by switchingcode

I hope not. Why can't they just play at Kenilworth Road? Would love seeing Man City and the likes showing up there!
The Play Off Thread on 07:58 - May 18 with 1669 viewsMrSheen

The Play Off Thread on 07:37 - May 18 by Northernr

But remember, we have to understand that our poor little lambs collapsed to 2 wins in 28 games because they had three managers and a new training ground.

Coventry were absoltutely fantastic last night. Should have won by more.

Quite. It was like big brother pushing little brother back by the forehead as he tries to take swings at him.

What a strange streaky season Boro had. 4 wins from 18, then 16 from 20, 2 from 10.
The Play Off Thread on 08:33 - May 18 with 1616 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 07:58 - May 18 by MrSheen

Quite. It was like big brother pushing little brother back by the forehead as he tries to take swings at him.

What a strange streaky season Boro had. 4 wins from 18, then 16 from 20, 2 from 10.

That old thing about momentum has been a real thing in the play-offs so far.

Coventry had to fight and scrap right to the last day to get in, while Boro have been in for weeks and unable to get the top two, effectively picking reserve teams for a few of their final games.

Sheff Wed likewise, the disappointment of missing out on three and being in the play offs, running into Peterborough who snuck in on the final day on a hot streak. I remember hearing Bircham before saying if wer hadn't won at Hillsborough there's no way we'd have won the play-offs that year.

But, then, of course, the Zamora year, we were fourth, knew we were in the play-offs for weeks, and were really pretty crap for much of the run in, and won anyway - but then with an £80m wage bill playing a £17m one we probably should have done.
The Play Off Thread on 08:45 - May 18 with 1568 viewsTheChef

The Play Off Thread on 08:33 - May 18 by Northernr

That old thing about momentum has been a real thing in the play-offs so far.

Coventry had to fight and scrap right to the last day to get in, while Boro have been in for weeks and unable to get the top two, effectively picking reserve teams for a few of their final games.

Sheff Wed likewise, the disappointment of missing out on three and being in the play offs, running into Peterborough who snuck in on the final day on a hot streak. I remember hearing Bircham before saying if wer hadn't won at Hillsborough there's no way we'd have won the play-offs that year.

But, then, of course, the Zamora year, we were fourth, knew we were in the play-offs for weeks, and were really pretty crap for much of the run in, and won anyway - but then with an £80m wage bill playing a £17m one we probably should have done.

Can't entirely blame Wednesday, finishing on 96 points and not getting an automatic place.

Would love to see the stats for 5th and 6th placed teams winning the play offs.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Play Off Thread on 08:59 - May 18 with 1536 viewsSnipper

I honestly think that the EFL should adopt the same system for the play offs as the National League, and National League north/south.

The two highest play off teams should have a one off match at home to get to the final. I know it didn’t work for Middlesbrough last night, but it’s a much fairer system.
The Play Off Thread on 09:01 - May 18 with 1532 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 08:45 - May 18 by TheChef

Can't entirely blame Wednesday, finishing on 96 points and not getting an automatic place.

This from 2019... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48206295

A worrying omen for Sunderland supporters is that their team finished fifth in League One.

This position has been the least successful historically since the current play-off format was introduced in 1989.

Only three teams - Stoke City in 2002, Sheffield Wednesday in 2005 and Barnsley in 2006 - have finished fifth in League One and gone on to win the play-offs.

Fifth position (or equivalent) in League Two has produced only four play-off winners and sixth place in the Championship has ended up winning the play-offs just five times. Forest Green Rovers and Derby County occupied those two "unlucky" spots at the end of this season.

Fourth place in League Two has produced the most play-off winners since 1989, with 14 teams finishing in that position going on to win the play-offs. Mansfield Town will look to improve that record this time.

Next best is third place in the Championship, the position in which Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds ended the season, with 11 winners.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Play Off Thread on 09:14 - May 18 with 1507 viewsterryb

The Play Off Thread on 22:14 - May 17 by switchingcode

It was said on Tuesday that Luton will pay £10 million for a new stand & that would allow them to play at Kenilworth Road.

Whether the work could be done by August is another matter.
The Play Off Thread on 09:19 - May 18 with 1479 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 09:14 - May 18 by terryb

It was said on Tuesday that Luton will pay £10 million for a new stand & that would allow them to play at Kenilworth Road.

Whether the work could be done by August is another matter.

Be an absolute crock of sht if they had to play somewhere else. Premier League needs to get over itself.
The Play Off Thread on 09:20 - May 18 with 1476 viewsterryb

The Play Off Thread on 08:45 - May 18 by TheChef

Wednesday were in the aotomatic places & Ipswich were due to miss out.

Then from 17th March to 7th April they got 4 points out of 18. This cost them promotion & have nobody but themselves to blame.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024