Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables RIP 12:17 - Nov 26 with 27268 viewsaston_hoop

Terry Venables has passed away at the age of 80. Very sad news

http://www.skysports.com/share/13016445

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Terry Venables RIP on 04:47 - Nov 27 with 2919 viewsBrisbaneR

Woke to this news this morning, what a sad way to start the day.

Terry was the first manager I knew at Rangers having been dragged along by a cousin to watch the Watford game after we'd won the Highbury FA Cup Semi (I think there were vouchers available that meant he could get tickets to Wembley?) - I fell in love immediately and just thought it would always be like life was in the early 80's.

That hasn't really played out that way, and you really only realise when you look back how good the team Tel built was, and just how forward thinking he was. And to have a manager that was looked at enviously by other clubs...what days they were.
Terry Venables RIP on 09:54 - Nov 27 with 2737 viewsterryb

RIP Terry.

IMO he sits alongside Gordon Jago on the top tier of Rangers managers. To this day I'm still convinced we would have won the FL if he hadn't moved to Barcelona. Imagine writing that Barca poached the Queens Park Rangers manager! Something for Martti to aspire to!

TV aslo provided me with one of the best months of supporting the R's. October 1983 we conquer East Anglia! A superb display in a 2-0 win at Ipswich was followed two weeks later with a 3-0 victory at Norwich. Heaven for those of us living in the area.

Thank you Tel.
Terry Venables RIP on 10:19 - Nov 27 with 2696 viewsBlue_Castello

Terry Venables RIP on 22:50 - Nov 26 by daveB

Best manager in my lifetime, arguably our best ever, Only Stock comes close imo

Gutted I can't make it on Tuesday and be there for the tributes to him

I've put together a little tribute and his career in numbers.

https://www.qprhistory.co.uk/players/venables

Highest win % of any QPR manager ever is a headline one
I still say we'd have won the league if he had stayed rather than go to Barcelona and also think we'd have won the World Cup if he the FA didn't stich him up and replace him with that prat Hoddle

I've got a busy few weeks at work but going to try and do a video tribute to Venables, If anyone would like to contribute to the video with any stories or memories please either post them on here or email me at QPRMemories@gmail.com and I will look to include as many stories as possible and if you want to be in it just send a video of yourself talking about your memories of him to the same email address and I'll get them added

Loved Tel so much as a player and a manager, best Manager ever is probably true but Alec Stock gave me my love for Rangers, built an amazing attacking team that just couldn't stop winning and gave us our only Wembley Cup Final win, which was an amazing day, a third division team being 2-0 down at half time beating the favourites from the First Division
There was a gap then from 1968 to 1971 when we appointed Gordon Jago, he was very impressive as a coach, started the rebuild of the team before passing the reigns to Dave Sexton who was equally very good and gave us that amazing season with arguably our best team ever when we came runners up to Liverpool in 75/76.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 12:40]
Terry Venables RIP on 10:41 - Nov 27 with 2657 viewsJuzzie

During the 40-odd years I've supported this club there have been many lows, lots of them, but I don't think I'll ever feel as bad as I did that day when I saw in the newspapers that he had gone to Barcelona.
I didn't begrudge him one bit that he went but we were really in with a good shout of actually winning something and it all fell apart that day.
I'd been going to games about three years at that point and it was really something special that was happening.

That's how much he meant to the club and all of us.

RIP.
Terry Venables RIP on 10:44 - Nov 27 with 2654 viewsderbyhoop

East End character and, probably, our best ever manager.
Took us to our only FA Cup finals and into Europe.
No wonder he was poached by Barca.

RIP TV

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Terry Venables RIP on 11:33 - Nov 27 with 2565 viewsNov77

Terry Venables RIP on 09:54 - Nov 27 by terryb

RIP Terry.

IMO he sits alongside Gordon Jago on the top tier of Rangers managers. To this day I'm still convinced we would have won the FL if he hadn't moved to Barcelona. Imagine writing that Barca poached the Queens Park Rangers manager! Something for Martti to aspire to!

TV aslo provided me with one of the best months of supporting the R's. October 1983 we conquer East Anglia! A superb display in a 2-0 win at Ipswich was followed two weeks later with a 3-0 victory at Norwich. Heaven for those of us living in the area.

Thank you Tel.

A lot of the players from the Jago era have said it was TV that used to pretty much run the training sessions in those days.

He really was a one off, we were so lucky to have him as a player and a manager, raised standards throughout the club and helped really put us on the map.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Terry Venables RIP on 11:43 - Nov 27 with 2552 viewsTeddRanger

Greatest Manager in my time supporting Rangers.

Met Terry once. Was out with my cousin and a couple of others for a slap up meal at a plush curry house (Bombay Bicycle Club). We were steaming through the food and lager, fortunately it was all on my cousin's expenses!

Half way through our meal, Terry came in with an attractive woman and proceeded to sit at a nearby table. After a couple more pints, I plucked up the courage to go over to his table. As it was just after his spell as England Manager, no doubt he thought I wanted to talk about that.

I started with "I'm a massive QPR fan". His face lit up and and he smiled that big smile and we proceeded to talk about Rangers for the next 20 minutes- much to the disgust of his dinner companion! As I knew he would be, he was warm, witty, intelligent and a true gent.

RIP Tel.
Terry Venables RIP on 12:10 - Nov 27 with 2516 viewsquickpassrotter

Very difficult to add something original to all the excellent posts about TV. He certainly was a good player, ran a game and created so many opportunities with his wonderful passing and had the ability to chip in with more than his fair share of goals from midfield. As a Manager/Coach he excelled. He certainly was ahead of his time with his systems, tactics and the ability to make decisive changes to correct or alter the course of a match. Always got the best out of his players who loved playing for him - at club and international level. When the likes of Lineker and specifically Gary Neville (never easy to please) say he was the best coach they have ever played under, then that says a lot. We are of course all proud of him at QPR - what he did for our club, and the style of play that we enjoyed (and envy today).
Maybe a strange thing to say - but nearly all the photos of El Tel that we see, reflect that big smile, that huge personality and that wonderful zest for life. Gone but never, ever forgotten. RIP Terry. QPR love you!
Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables RIP on 12:30 - Nov 27 with 2432 viewsW4Hoop

Terry Venables RIP on 12:10 - Nov 27 by quickpassrotter

Very difficult to add something original to all the excellent posts about TV. He certainly was a good player, ran a game and created so many opportunities with his wonderful passing and had the ability to chip in with more than his fair share of goals from midfield. As a Manager/Coach he excelled. He certainly was ahead of his time with his systems, tactics and the ability to make decisive changes to correct or alter the course of a match. Always got the best out of his players who loved playing for him - at club and international level. When the likes of Lineker and specifically Gary Neville (never easy to please) say he was the best coach they have ever played under, then that says a lot. We are of course all proud of him at QPR - what he did for our club, and the style of play that we enjoyed (and envy today).
Maybe a strange thing to say - but nearly all the photos of El Tel that we see, reflect that big smile, that huge personality and that wonderful zest for life. Gone but never, ever forgotten. RIP Terry. QPR love you!

47 years of supporting QPR and the Venables years were the best. Supporters of other clubs would look at you with envy because he was our manager. Great times.
Terry Venables RIP on 15:57 - Nov 27 with 2243 viewsBenny_the_Ball

My favourite QPR manager. Even as a young child it was clear to see that what I was witnessing was light years ahead of the competition. To take a 2nd division outfit to the FA Cup Final, promotion (a full 10 points clear of Wolves in 2nd), and then 5th in the top flight (10 points clear of Arsenal in 6th and just 1 point behind Man Utd and Forest) was outstanding in itself but it was the manner in which it was achieved that made it all the more pleasing. Genuinely gutted when he left and unsurprised when QPR unravelled thereafter. Can you imagine Barcelona coming in for an unknown English manager now? That was the mark of the man and 'El Tel' duly delivered their first La Liga title in over a decade. The joy and optimism that Venables later brought to England supporters in 1996 recycled the emotions he'd stoked as QPR manager.

A true one off. RIP Terry.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 16:17]
Terry Venables RIP on 18:18 - Nov 27 with 2142 viewsqprcmob

Very Sad news, The Venables era when he managed us in the 80's are my fondest years of going to Loftus Road. The promotion season i can remember like yesterday. RIP Sir Venables and thank you for some of the happiest memories of my life.
Terry Venables RIP on 20:29 - Nov 27 with 2001 viewsRsinWales

Terry Venables RIP on 18:18 - Nov 27 by qprcmob

Very Sad news, The Venables era when he managed us in the 80's are my fondest years of going to Loftus Road. The promotion season i can remember like yesterday. RIP Sir Venables and thank you for some of the happiest memories of my life.

One of my fondest periods too. He made me extra proud to be an R again, after our late 70s dip. Seemed so proud to be our manager and the players seemed to enjoy playing for him.

Shouldn't underestimate what he did in four years. As a second division we took a top-tier team to the wire in an FA Cup Final twice (we deserved to win that replay), got us promoted, then got us into Europe. Did all of that without massive expenditure.

Such an infectious character. Great humour. Coaching insights far ahead of his time.

Rest in peace sir.
Terry Venables RIP on 21:08 - Nov 27 with 1920 viewsPaddyhoops

Seen a tribute on ITV local news . Apparently he brought palace to an Fa cup final.??A new one on me .
We didn’t warrant a mention.
Terry Venables RIP on 22:23 - Nov 27 with 1856 viewsHooping_Mad

I still have vivid memories of us beating Holland 4-1 in '96 what a day that was. Thanks for the memories Terry. RIP.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Terry Venables RIP on 23:04 - Nov 27 with 1818 viewsManinBlack

Terry Venables RIP on 21:08 - Nov 27 by Paddyhoops

Seen a tribute on ITV local news . Apparently he brought palace to an Fa cup final.??A new one on me .
We didn’t warrant a mention.

We barely got a mention in that programme about him that was on iTV not so long ago. I think it was basically the Omniturf that warranted any mention of his time with us.
Terry Venables RIP on 23:24 - Nov 27 with 1799 viewsdaveB

Terry Venables RIP on 23:04 - Nov 27 by ManinBlack

We barely got a mention in that programme about him that was on iTV not so long ago. I think it was basically the Omniturf that warranted any mention of his time with us.

as much as our memories of him are with QPR for most people the story is him managing Spurs and England
Terry Venables RIP on 04:31 - Nov 28 with 1713 viewsHooparoo

Also managed the Socceroos in ‘97 when we were undefeated in qualifying but lost to Iran on away goals. Tel was loved in this country too despite just falling short. We love a larrikin especially a witty charming one like him. RIP Terry

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Terry Venables RIP on 07:59 - Nov 28 with 1609 viewsstevec

Used to love the writings of Jeff Powell in the 70’s, well ahead of the crowd in recognising the football QPR were playing and highly appreciative of what was essentially a brand of football introduced by Ajax.

From a column yesterday it appears Powell was responsible for Barcelona’s initial interest at a time when they hadn’t even heard of TV. Bit of a blow to read that actually.
Terry Venables RIP on 08:58 - Nov 28 with 1546 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terry Venables RIP on 07:59 - Nov 28 by stevec

Used to love the writings of Jeff Powell in the 70’s, well ahead of the crowd in recognising the football QPR were playing and highly appreciative of what was essentially a brand of football introduced by Ajax.

From a column yesterday it appears Powell was responsible for Barcelona’s initial interest at a time when they hadn’t even heard of TV. Bit of a blow to read that actually.

He may have been involved but it was actually Bobby Robson who was the most influential.
Barcelona approached Robson twice, and he said no twice (at that time), the second time he recommended venables and they acted on it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Venables RIP on 10:22 - Nov 28 with 1478 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Terry Venables RIP on 22:23 - Nov 27 by Hooping_Mad

I still have vivid memories of us beating Holland 4-1 in '96 what a day that was. Thanks for the memories Terry. RIP.

Only England game I've attended in nigh on 40 years. It was a footballing masterclass handed down to the country that gave us total football. No other England manager had got the team to that level in my time or since; I really thought we'd go on and win it after that.

However, as if thenews of his passing couldn't get any sadder, I read on WLS that he died of a dementia related illness. For such a character, imbued with a level of thinking and football brain beyond normal comprehension, to succumb to that dreadful condition is even more heartbreaking.

I 'kin hope those useless caants drawing a wage to play down there, can find some level of pride and professionalism to give QPR a performance in the manner Venables' playing for and managing QPR always delivered.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 10:22]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Terry Venables RIP on 11:28 - Nov 28 with 1405 viewshubble

Sorry if this is a Spackman:

"Terry Venables: QPR boss Marti Cifuentes wants to replicate Venables' attacking game"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67546064

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Terry Venables RIP on 11:35 - Nov 28 with 1394 viewsGaryBannister86

This is nice, apologies if posted already:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2023/nov/28/david-squires-on-terry-
Terry Venables RIP on 12:01 - Nov 28 with 1330 viewsdaveB

Terry Venables RIP on 10:22 - Nov 28 by PlanetHonneywood

Only England game I've attended in nigh on 40 years. It was a footballing masterclass handed down to the country that gave us total football. No other England manager had got the team to that level in my time or since; I really thought we'd go on and win it after that.

However, as if thenews of his passing couldn't get any sadder, I read on WLS that he died of a dementia related illness. For such a character, imbued with a level of thinking and football brain beyond normal comprehension, to succumb to that dreadful condition is even more heartbreaking.

I 'kin hope those useless caants drawing a wage to play down there, can find some level of pride and professionalism to give QPR a performance in the manner Venables' playing for and managing QPR always delivered.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 10:22]

I think his family wanted to kept quiet but have feared for a few years this was the case with him having dementia, saw photos of him at a QPR game with Peter Reid about 5 years ago and he looked similar to relatives I've got who had the same illness

Well worth reading his autobiography from a few years ago, he talks about how he planned that Holland game for 2 years basically having so many players pushing forward that they wouldn't be able to cope, it was very high risk but worked a treat
Terry Venables RIP on 12:08 - Nov 28 with 1317 viewsSuperhoop83

I don't have much to add to the tributes on here, but El Tel was our manager when I first went to a match, a 3-0 win versus Derby, in February 1982 and that season, the promotion the next year and the top 5 finish are among the best times I had as a QPR fan.

He was a superb manager and motivator and we can only wonder how we would have fared if he hadn't re-established us as a top flight club - and we all saw how quickly it was nearly undone the season after he left.

This is worth a watch, from March 1984.

Suffering since 1978.

Terry Venables RIP on 12:29 - Nov 28 with 1272 viewsNov77

Terry Venables RIP on 07:59 - Nov 28 by stevec

I was looking forward to reading Jeff Powell’s piece, though slightly disappointed to see him call us ‘little Queen’s Park Rangers’.

I do think some journo’s are guilty of airbrushing us out of his history because of where we are now rather than where we were then.

Saw one piece that said ‘venables left spurs in 1969 to go and play for Crystal Palace” really?

Always liked Jeff Powell though, he wrote a lovely piece about Stan a few years back.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 13:00]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024