Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium. 18:04 - Aug 9 with 126335 viewsted_hendrix

That's where our new ground will be.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:50 - Aug 10 with 3504 viewsBoston

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:50 - Aug 10 by francisbowles

You've lost me there mate. I've visited the States hundreds of times but not since the orange one was elected in 2016. What's a lever?

Attend a sports fixture where a nationally known Democrat politician is in attendance, you'll get the idea.
Lever - hmm, probably 'Old English', guess you're a lot younger than me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:21 - Aug 10 with 3258 viewsQPRConor2000

I wonder if the owners might end up moving us to Heston given we already own the land around there.

[Post edited 10 Aug 2023 21:23]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:52 - Aug 10 with 3149 viewswombat

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:21 - Aug 10 by QPRConor2000

I wonder if the owners might end up moving us to Heston given we already own the land around there.

Do we ? Zero transport links near there so non runner I’m afraid

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:53 - Aug 10 with 3143 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:21 - Aug 10 by QPRConor2000

Not big enough, right in the heart of Brentford territory, more west than Brentford and about a mile away from Brentfords own training ground. We’d basically be Brentford MKII
Linford Christie Stadium. on 22:08 - Aug 10 with 3038 viewscolinallcars

Linford Christie Stadium. on 19:51 - Aug 9 by loftboy

As someone who only travels into west London to watch Qpr whereabouts is it in relation to Loftus road? Thanks

Only one pub nearby - the Pavilion. That area has been extremely badly hit by pub closures.
There were two pubs on Scrubs Lane both gone, plus the North Pole, Cowshed, British Volunteer and the Latimer.
And yet the Pavilion always seems quiet on the odd occasion I visit.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 22:13 - Aug 10 with 3004 viewsQPRConor2000

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:53 - Aug 10 by Juzzie

Not big enough, right in the heart of Brentford territory, more west than Brentford and about a mile away from Brentfords own training ground. We’d basically be Brentford MKII

Thats true about Heston, I just wonder if its an option that has been talked out.

I am actually starting to wonder whether the owners are thinking about staying put at LR, and building a slightly smaller ground to a modern standard.

tbf we rarely sell out LR, and I think a modern 15k seat venue on the current site is not impossible.

For example, Rotherham's ground which holds 12k is on a 5 acre site and it cost them about £25m to build, and compare that to spending £100m on a 30k capacity ground.

The question is do we stay in W12 but with a modern ground which is smaller, or do we move outside the borough? I personally favour the former.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 00:57 - Aug 11 with 2800 viewsNewBee

"We’d basically be Brentford MKII"

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:01 - Aug 11 with 2587 viewsQPR_Jim

Linford Christie Stadium. on 22:13 - Aug 10 by QPRConor2000

Thats true about Heston, I just wonder if its an option that has been talked out.

I am actually starting to wonder whether the owners are thinking about staying put at LR, and building a slightly smaller ground to a modern standard.

tbf we rarely sell out LR, and I think a modern 15k seat venue on the current site is not impossible.

For example, Rotherham's ground which holds 12k is on a 5 acre site and it cost them about £25m to build, and compare that to spending £100m on a 30k capacity ground.

The question is do we stay in W12 but with a modern ground which is smaller, or do we move outside the borough? I personally favour the former.

That's only the question if the board completely give up looking for options nearby. To my mind there's LCS, Car Giant, Twyford Avenue, there was another site in Acton mentioned as well that would probably work and no doubt a few others. You're also overlooking the money from selling LR if we did move, the land in any of those locations would be cheaper than Shepherds Bush but they're all better connected than Heston.

I also don't think you'll get 15k, it would be more like 12k by the time the seats are compliant to current spacing and you've got more hospitality space. The best chance of it working would be to buy the school but how long before they actually want to move?
Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:05 - Aug 11 with 2574 viewsRs_Holy

Linford Christie Stadium. on 22:13 - Aug 10 by QPRConor2000

Apologies as I'm going into broken record mode with this one and there's a case of Dave Jar View with this post! But...
If the club could re-do the SA Road and make it as big as poss, remove the exec boxes, and make it all glassy and 'right for light' proof (see the the Aviva stadium in Dublin). You would see an increase in capacity there. This stand is the only one which could theoretically increase its footprint.
Then re-do the Stan Bowles Stand relocating the exec boxes there (a double tier set of boxes at the back is achievable). This would leave about 1/2 the capacity of seats in front. One down side would be probably losing the Q Block?
To be honest does the Loft or School End need to be done? Apart from the first 6-7 rows having no cover I fail to see what huge improvements you could make? In fact why not have some more safe standing in the Upper Loft N,P blocks. The School End is mainly for Away support. Apart from Dick Menace (not getting a cup of tea) most away fans seem to enjoy the retro experience and being so close to the pitch.
So overall I reckon the capacity would be roughly the same, you'd be doubling the revenue from the prawn sandwich contingent, removing restricted views, keeping the peeps currently in the paddock area dry, and staying in West London.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:33 - Aug 11 with 2514 viewsToast_R

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:05 - Aug 11 by Rs_Holy

Apologies as I'm going into broken record mode with this one and there's a case of Dave Jar View with this post! But...
If the club could re-do the SA Road and make it as big as poss, remove the exec boxes, and make it all glassy and 'right for light' proof (see the the Aviva stadium in Dublin). You would see an increase in capacity there. This stand is the only one which could theoretically increase its footprint.
Then re-do the Stan Bowles Stand relocating the exec boxes there (a double tier set of boxes at the back is achievable). This would leave about 1/2 the capacity of seats in front. One down side would be probably losing the Q Block?
To be honest does the Loft or School End need to be done? Apart from the first 6-7 rows having no cover I fail to see what huge improvements you could make? In fact why not have some more safe standing in the Upper Loft N,P blocks. The School End is mainly for Away support. Apart from Dick Menace (not getting a cup of tea) most away fans seem to enjoy the retro experience and being so close to the pitch.
So overall I reckon the capacity would be roughly the same, you'd be doubling the revenue from the prawn sandwich contingent, removing restricted views, keeping the peeps currently in the paddock area dry, and staying in West London.

Let's have it right. The Loft End and the School ends are shite. There is no leg room on either which puts people off going and the concourses are over crowded. If you want a halt time drink, you sacrifice 10 minutes of the first half so any sensible person doesn't bother. Again revenue missed due to a crappy dilapidated stadium. No real pull to get you into the stadium early because again its too busy to buy drinks and not a comfortable place to be social. Then there's the restricted views and non covered seats. It's had its day, served us well but it's a relic and football has moved on. £35 a ticket.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:53 - Aug 11 with 2476 viewsRs_Holy

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:33 - Aug 11 by Toast_R

Let's have it right. The Loft End and the School ends are shite. There is no leg room on either which puts people off going and the concourses are over crowded. If you want a halt time drink, you sacrifice 10 minutes of the first half so any sensible person doesn't bother. Again revenue missed due to a crappy dilapidated stadium. No real pull to get you into the stadium early because again its too busy to buy drinks and not a comfortable place to be social. Then there's the restricted views and non covered seats. It's had its day, served us well but it's a relic and football has moved on. £35 a ticket.

Lower Loft is okay re leg room (I'm 5 foot 10)... I thought it was fine. Safe standing would eliminate the leg room issue in some parts of the the Upper Tier... Okay so its not perfect but with the other improvements you'd have options? Maybe let the Loft ticket holders use the facilities in the new and improved South Africa Road Stand??? The School end is less of an issue for obvious reasons
Linford Christie Stadium. on 09:44 - Aug 11 with 2370 viewsToast_R

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:53 - Aug 11 by Rs_Holy

Lower Loft is okay re leg room (I'm 5 foot 10)... I thought it was fine. Safe standing would eliminate the leg room issue in some parts of the the Upper Tier... Okay so its not perfect but with the other improvements you'd have options? Maybe let the Loft ticket holders use the facilities in the new and improved South Africa Road Stand??? The School end is less of an issue for obvious reasons

Being 6ft2 the leg room really isn't okay. It should be illegal. Standing is great but when you've children with you, it's not really an option. Human"s must have evolved since the 80s.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 10:58 - Aug 11 with 2276 viewsG_Ottershaw

Until i see some more communication from the owners about their goals and objectives, i'm not convinced any of this will happen now.
The cynic in me feels like qpr has become a 'to do' list on a post it note, stuck on one of the fridges.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:01 - Aug 11 with 2250 viewsToast_R

Linford Christie Stadium. on 10:58 - Aug 11 by G_Ottershaw

Until i see some more communication from the owners about their goals and objectives, i'm not convinced any of this will happen now.
The cynic in me feels like qpr has become a 'to do' list on a post it note, stuck on one of the fridges.

Probably swept under the fridge covered in fluff and an old Baby Bell
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:10 - Aug 11 with 2196 viewspeterlund_dk

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:01 - Aug 11 by Toast_R

Probably swept under the fridge covered in fluff and an old Baby Bell

If the team gives another nut-less performance tomorrow against Cardiff, I'll start referring to them as "the baby bells".
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:16 - Aug 11 with 2159 viewsNorthernr

Also, while the training ground is beautiful, the area it's in and the access to it is fcking horrendous. You'd never get planning permission for a stadium there, and nor would you want it.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:28 - Aug 11 with 2085 viewsCamberleyR

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:16 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Also, while the training ground is beautiful, the area it's in and the access to it is fcking horrendous. You'd never get planning permission for a stadium there, and nor would you want it.

Also it's ten miles away from LR. Has any club that's moved into a new stadium in the last 30 years, ever relocated as far from their 'home' and before anybody piles in I know we've only been at LR since 1917 (bar a few seasons in the 30s and 60s at White City stadium) but I would think all of us regard it as our spiritual home.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 11:31]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:31 - Aug 11 with 2058 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:28 - Aug 11 by CamberleyR

Also it's ten miles away from LR. Has any club that's moved into a new stadium in the last 30 years, ever relocated as far from their 'home' and before anybody piles in I know we've only been at LR since 1917 (bar a few seasons in the 30s and 60s at White City stadium) but I would think all of us regard it as our spiritual home.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 11:31]

Be interested to know how far Bolton's is from Burnden Park. I always think of that as a terrible example of a club just hauled out of its town and stuck out by a motorway.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:32 - Aug 11 with 2050 viewsCamberleyR

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:31 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Be interested to know how far Bolton's is from Burnden Park. I always think of that as a terrible example of a club just hauled out of its town and stuck out by a motorway.

I thought their new ground was about 5 miles away and not even in Bolton anymore, isn't it in Horwich?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:33 - Aug 11 with 2033 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:32 - Aug 11 by CamberleyR

I thought their new ground was about 5 miles away and not even in Bolton anymore, isn't it in Horwich?

Yeh just looked it up and it's between 5-6 miles away, and yes in Horwich.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:47 - Aug 11 with 1953 viewsSuffolkHoop

We're a bit late to the party when it comes to buying up land in West London. Values have gone through the roof over the last 20 years and we've had options for good sites before and ballsed it up. The problem with QPR is and has been that commercially we're never in the right place at the right time - and no it's not just bad lack its incompetence and has been for 2-3 decades.

IF the owners are serious about moving, then IMO the only viable sites will be in the Outer London Boroughs of Hillingdon, Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing or Brent. Now you can take the view that we're a club from the Bush and W12 is our home and yes thats true and I get that. An awful lot of QPR fans live in Outer west London though - if there was a site near pubs, the Underground/Overground with the space to create a proper solution for the longevity of QPR then is that a bad thing?

I'm not suggesting Milton Keynes, or an out of town retail park in Slough... just that a pragmatic solution could be to move the club west a few miles.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 11:50]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 12:37 - Aug 11 with 1860 viewsQPRConor2000

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:47 - Aug 11 by SuffolkHoop

We're a bit late to the party when it comes to buying up land in West London. Values have gone through the roof over the last 20 years and we've had options for good sites before and ballsed it up. The problem with QPR is and has been that commercially we're never in the right place at the right time - and no it's not just bad lack its incompetence and has been for 2-3 decades.

IF the owners are serious about moving, then IMO the only viable sites will be in the Outer London Boroughs of Hillingdon, Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing or Brent. Now you can take the view that we're a club from the Bush and W12 is our home and yes thats true and I get that. An awful lot of QPR fans live in Outer west London though - if there was a site near pubs, the Underground/Overground with the space to create a proper solution for the longevity of QPR then is that a bad thing?

I'm not suggesting Milton Keynes, or an out of town retail park in Slough... just that a pragmatic solution could be to move the club west a few miles.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 11:50]

Something has to be done sooner rather than later.

tbf I think we will all die of boredom given the continuous holds up over the years.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 12:49]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:13 - Aug 11 with 1695 viewsloftupper

Linford Christie Stadium. on 08:05 - Aug 11 by Rs_Holy

Unfortunately the return on investment would not justify any work on Loftus Road. They would have to sell the current ground to help pay for the new one, most likely along with the housing development they secured in Old Oak.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:50 - Aug 11 with 1596 viewsManinBlack

Shame we can't build a stadium on Shepherds Bush Green and move the park to Loftus Road. Far too simple in a complicated country however.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:21 - Aug 11 with 1500 viewsQPRConor2000

Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:13 - Aug 11 by loftupper

Unfortunately the return on investment would not justify any work on Loftus Road. They would have to sell the current ground to help pay for the new one, most likely along with the housing development they secured in Old Oak.

Im just looking at Rotherham's ground and when they moved to their new stadium in 2012, it cost them around £17m to build a 12,000 seat stadium which is £1,414 per seat.

Brighton's ground when it was opened a year earlier in 2011, it cost them £93m, at the time it held 22,000, which is around £4,227 per seat

We also have 8k season ticket holders at Loftus Road, and we dont have any waiting lists ether I dont think, which tells me we probably dont need 30k capacity.

So the issue isnt about capacity, its about generating non-matchday income, which if we do move, we can do.

I recon we will do something similar to when we brought Heston, we buy a plot of land and we use it to develop a new stadium on it.

[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 15:46]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024