Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game 14:38 - Sep 12 with 7048 viewsQPR_Pro_Max

The team lacked ambition and desire to attack after scoring the first goal. Otherwise, 3 points in the pocket and go top of the table. Nevertheless, thanks for the effort of Adomah.

Based on the performance of the players, 4-4-2 will be a better formation for the Bournemouth game.

Dieng: 3 goals conceded for 4 shots on target;
Wingbacks: lacked moving forward and crosses, Odubajo even at fault for the first goal conceded;
Dunne: might be better in the defence of 2 CBs?
Chair: needs recharge after international duty;
Austin: unfit and immobile

Start with 4-4-2:

Archer
Kaykay, Dickie, Dunne, Barbet
Adomah, Ball, Johansen, Willock
Gray, Dykes

For substitution or change of tactics, bring in Chair to replace one of the strikers to revert to 3-4-2-1
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 12:52 - Sep 13 with 1623 viewsCamberleyR

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 12:34 - Sep 13 by kensalriser

On reflection I think we should go for the formation I first played as a primary school boy in the early 70s: 2-3-5.

Now, 2-3-5 was already as outdated then as 4-4-2 is now but the headmaster, who also took games, was a man yet to acknowledge the 1960s, never mind the 70s. So we had two at the back (full backs), the centre half was in midfield flanked by the left and right halves and up front you had a centre forward, inside right/left and outside right/left (wingers).

Dieng
De Wijs Barbet
Dickie Johansen ?
Adomah Willock Austin Chair McCallum

Not sure about the left half and outside left positions though. Does McCallum fit in either? And if so, who takes the remaining slot?

Even up to the late 70s the Rangers programme had the team in a 2-3-5 formation.

[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 12:54]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:14 - Sep 13 with 1572 viewskensalriser

Blimey! Did that reflect the real formation though, or was it just a tradition based on player numbers?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:18 - Sep 13 with 1555 viewsCamberleyR

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:14 - Sep 13 by kensalriser

Blimey! Did that reflect the real formation though, or was it just a tradition based on player numbers?

Just a tradition based on player numbers I think. My programme from my first ever Rangers game in the 75/76 season has Don Masson in the centre forward position purely based on him wearing number nine.

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:46 - Sep 13 with 1508 viewsswisscottage

Amazing how much engagement a first time post from what must be a troll gets on here.

If not a troll then clearly irrational and not likely to result in sensible converse.
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:59 - Sep 13 with 1481 viewsenfieldargh

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 12:52 - Sep 13 by CamberleyR

Even up to the late 70s the Rangers programme had the team in a 2-3-5 formation.

Brian Wiliams, Paul McGhee, Derek Richardson in the starting line up!!!!

Sack the manager now

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 14:03 - Sep 13 with 1470 viewsstrikerace

I guess 12 pts in 6 matches isn't enough, change everything!
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 14:42 - Sep 13 with 1433 viewsLanhoop

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:14 - Sep 13 by kensalriser

Left back, Right back
Left Wing Half, Centre Half, Right Wing Half
Left Winger, Inside Left, Centre Forward, Inside Right, Right Winger

Jumpers for goalposts
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 15:00 - Sep 13 with 1410 viewsdmm

I believe Ron Manager, who made the saying 'jumpers for goalposts' famous, was styled on our very own Alec Stock

Login to get fewer ads

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 22:42 - Sep 13 with 1246 viewsGloryHunter

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 14:42 - Sep 13 by Lanhoop

Left back, Right back
Left Wing Half, Centre Half, Right Wing Half
Left Winger, Inside Left, Centre Forward, Inside Right, Right Winger

Jumpers for goalposts

I've asked this question before, and nobody has ever answered it. Why do we still talk about the "Number 10" (originally inside left) role as being somehow sacred and magical, but the "Number 8" (inside right) as being insignificant?
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:29 - Sep 13 with 1197 viewsMyke

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 13:59 - Sep 13 by enfieldargh

Brian Wiliams, Paul McGhee, Derek Richardson in the starting line up!!!!

Sack the manager now

As a Sligo man I have to jump to the defence of Paul McGee. He was pretty decent for club and country
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:30 - Sep 13 with 1197 viewsBucksRanger

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 22:42 - Sep 13 by GloryHunter

I've asked this question before, and nobody has ever answered it. Why do we still talk about the "Number 10" (originally inside left) role as being somehow sacred and magical, but the "Number 8" (inside right) as being insignificant?

Because Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles wore number 10, it wasn't sacred before then.
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:37 - Sep 13 with 1185 viewsCamberleyR

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:30 - Sep 13 by BucksRanger

Because Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles wore number 10, it wasn't sacred before then.

I don't think he's referring to Rodney or Stan in particular just the way the media seems to mytholigise and talk about the 'number 10 role'. You never seem to hear of someone playing in the 'number 8 role'

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:48 - Sep 13 with 1170 viewsBenny_the_Ball

4-4-2? Drop Dieng? Hmmm...

With the team currently unbeaten and sitting in 4th, major heart surgery is not required. Any changes should be subtle, and based on form and fitness. For me, I've been slightly underwhelmed by Odubajo so I wouldn't begrudge Kakay a start. Whilst Austin has been off colour, Dykes was injured on international duty so I could understand why Charlie started on Saturday. That being said, Gray looked sharp when he came on so if Dykes is still unavailable it'll be interesting to see whether Austin gets the nod on Tuesday. With Gary Cahill in Bournemouth's central defence I'd be tempted to go with Gray's mobility but, hey, nice problem to have choosing between Gray and Austin. As for Uncle, he's still an enigma for me. He's performed extremely well when coming on as a substitute but not grabbed his chance when starting games. Could he be QPR's David Fairclough?
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:54 - Sep 13 with 1167 viewsBenny_the_Ball

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 15:45 - Sep 12 by QPR_Pro_Max

We also conceded the most goals among the top 6
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 15:47]

True the defence is leaky again but previously I put that down to a lack of protection from midfield and I feel the same way now. As much as I admire Ball's attitude, technically and tactically he's not quite in the same class as Field for me. Sam was immense alongside Stefan during the second half of last season and played a big part in helping the defence tighten up.
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 01:19 - Sep 14 with 1121 viewsstainrods_elbow

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 06:49 - Sep 13 by nix

I'm not sure about starting Uncs as a fullback against Bournemouth. He doesn't have the pace against quick forwards and he works better against tiring defenders, I think that's why Warbs brings him in late.

And then fitting him in at the beginning might be risky in a 433 against a team who might overwhelm us in midfield and down the flanks.

I don't have the technical knowledge to know what the best approach is and the best balance we need to start. I totally agree we need to be more on the front foot in games though. How to manage this while not being overly open ourselves is a good question. Hopefully having more pace in Gray might help. Teams have been getting away with doubling up on (or just fouling) Willock. It would be hard to do that as well as snuff out the threat of Gray and the physicality of Dykes as well. I'm not sure whether Dykes and Gray would work as a two up front though?

Hopefully Warbs will find a solution for Tuesday. Can't wait!

I wans't suggesting starting Adomah as a full-back - he's not a full-back, as far as I'm aware - but in his naural position as a winger/attacking midfielder, since, as others have pointed out, he's by a country mile the best we have at the club in that role and has consistently changed games in coming on.

Looking ahead to tomorrow night, I'm sorry to say that I don't think Charlie has done enough, regardless of the service issue, to take a bite out of the Cherries from the offski, so we should review the 'system' in light of this. WIthout the changes against a poorish Reading, we;'d likely have lost the game 1-3 or worse, and I'm sure the coaching team will be doing their pre-match homework very, very carefully.

Given that 'the ball over the top' is such a source of concern, we also need to look at both the de Wijs/Dickie pairing as well as Moses' imo inadequate performance at Reading, positionally speaking (though I wouldn't/couldn't fault the first two too much individually) as well as the midfield set-up/pressing game, so lots of food for thought.

Is it a question of the formation or invididuals not doing their jobs properly? - as Warbs never singles the latter out, rain or shine, it's hard to know how he sees it - but what I don't want to see is another game where we have a lot of the ball against Bournemouth without on-target attempts, playing in front of them but not hurting them, and we're then chasing the game at 70m again and looking to the bench to help us save it.

Prediction? 2-2 (Barbet, Adomah), with us leading twice then hanging on ourselves, just to mix it up.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 01:20 - Sep 14 with 1120 viewsstainrods_elbow

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 12:52 - Sep 13 by CamberleyR

What a lovely Rangers kit that was - no advertising to f*ck it up, no silly lemon piping, just a proper shirt. Those were the days!

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 02:57 - Sep 14 with 1104 viewsHAYESBOY

Only read the first few posts..................that was enough.

Only change I would make is Gray in for Charlie.

Smells like a trout farm in here

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 08:13 - Sep 14 with 1028 viewsgazza1

I don't know what MW and his team will be doing regarding formations and players tonight at Bournemouth but what I do know is that the Reading game will be reviewed time and again by the Management Team and then the players. They have probably spent more time looking at video's of the match than on the training pitch. That includes the players as well.

As I said I do not know what MW will do because he has so many options but I do not think that he will make wholesale changes like many posters are saying. We had a few problems against a 'so called' average Reading side but there were also some real positive aspects from us during the game. Don't forget that we controlled the first half for long periods, 30 minutes at least and we were playing beautifully. We also completed the game very well indeed so the MW team will be analysing what happened for the middle period of the game. They will be looking at workrate, etc during those times from the monitors that they wear during the game. Lots of stuff like that, plenty of talking.

All boring stuff for many of us but that is what will be happening.

As for the result tonight......i am pretty unsure but don't write us off.
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 08:54 - Sep 14 with 986 viewsstainrods_elbow

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 08:13 - Sep 14 by gazza1

I don't know what MW and his team will be doing regarding formations and players tonight at Bournemouth but what I do know is that the Reading game will be reviewed time and again by the Management Team and then the players. They have probably spent more time looking at video's of the match than on the training pitch. That includes the players as well.

As I said I do not know what MW will do because he has so many options but I do not think that he will make wholesale changes like many posters are saying. We had a few problems against a 'so called' average Reading side but there were also some real positive aspects from us during the game. Don't forget that we controlled the first half for long periods, 30 minutes at least and we were playing beautifully. We also completed the game very well indeed so the MW team will be analysing what happened for the middle period of the game. They will be looking at workrate, etc during those times from the monitors that they wear during the game. Lots of stuff like that, plenty of talking.

We had a lot of possession vs the Fakes, agreed, but, in football, that isn't necessarily nine tenths of the law. We also had little to nothing directly on their goal, and let in a couple of poor goals from a defensive point of view. The superb, Albert-inspired comeback shouldn't disguise the fact that we weren't clinical or incisive enough, and didn't defend well enough, for as much of the game as we controlled.

I do feel we can and will need to do better tonight at both ends if we're not going to come home less than cheery from the Cherries. Another scoring draw this time probably won't be a bad point, but I hope we're going for a win from the start. It's gonna be interesting for sure.

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 09:16 - Sep 14 with 954 viewsGloryHunter

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 23:37 - Sep 13 by CamberleyR

I don't think he's referring to Rodney or Stan in particular just the way the media seems to mytholigise and talk about the 'number 10 role'. You never seem to hear of someone playing in the 'number 8 role'

Exactly. Not QPR specifically, but football in general. Why is the "Number 10 role" so significant, whilst the "Number 8 role" is never mentioned? Nobody seems to know.
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 09:19 - Sep 14 with 950 viewsgazza1

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 08:54 - Sep 14 by stainrods_elbow

We had a lot of possession vs the Fakes, agreed, but, in football, that isn't necessarily nine tenths of the law. We also had little to nothing directly on their goal, and let in a couple of poor goals from a defensive point of view. The superb, Albert-inspired comeback shouldn't disguise the fact that we weren't clinical or incisive enough, and didn't defend well enough, for as much of the game as we controlled.

I do feel we can and will need to do better tonight at both ends if we're not going to come home less than cheery from the Cherries. Another scoring draw this time probably won't be a bad point, but I hope we're going for a win from the start. It's gonna be interesting for sure.

I believe that as far as MW is concerned, possession is 9/10 of the law....we keep the ball and the oppo does not score. He talks a lot about caring for the ball, that means not giving it away cheaply and keep passing.

We failed offensively because our two wide players in McCallum and Moses did not deliver or do enough but it wasn't just them that were wide and did not deliver though - there were others. Albert did show them how to get crosses (dangerous) but by that time MW had changed to a flat back 4.

As for the defence....it isn't just one players fault as many posters, etc, think. For example Moses is getting the blame most of the time for the first goal but you also have to look at the 3 CBs and their positioning. Not saying that Moses was blameless but the CB's were far too left of the defence......Moses key defence stuff is the oppo wide players not the oppositions CF!!! The same goes for the 2nd goal - all Ball's fault!!!

We do need to do better tonight, for sure, but we can with a couple of twicks around the pitch. All this stuff going on in this thread is ludicrous. B'mouth will be looking at this game as their toughest of the season and rightly so - lets hope we can give them a game. I/m confident because we have a proper decent squad and management team.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 9:23]
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 09:23 - Sep 14 with 938 viewsPinnerPaul

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 18:57 - Sep 12 by Northernr

Except that we don't have the right back for it, the left back for it, you have to leave out two of our very good centre backs to do it, the four doesn't suit Barbet as well as the three, you have to play one of Willock or Chair out of position on the left wing or leave them one of them out, the only team that's won more than us since we switched to a three is Man City, we haven't lost a game at all in the current system for 130-odd days now. Apart from Austin it's difficult to understand who this does benefit. And it won't happen, because the manager has never played it in his entire career. The recruitment over the last five or six windows has been geared entirely to a 4-2-3-1 or wing back system, there'd be square pegs in round holes all over the show. The whole suggestion is so absurd I can only surmise this whole thread if a fcking wind up.

but apart from that............................................
4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 09:49 - Sep 14 with 916 viewsfrancisbowles

4-4-2 for Bournemouth game on 08:13 - Sep 14 by gazza1

I agree. It's about 'doing what we do BETTER'.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024