Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peterborough in the Cup 18:10 - Jan 29 with 6972 viewstraininvain

Thoughts on team selection and resting players?

Personally I’d pick the strongest team possible maybe with the exception of Willock and give one of the centre backs a rest for Sanderson.

Winning is a good habit and it’d be good to maintain momentum.
Peterborough in the Cup on 11:29 - Jan 30 with 2687 viewsdmm

Starting the game after, Borough at home, it will be 6 games in 18 days. As much as I'd want a strong team fielded in the cup, I think resting some players against Peterborough is a must.

That will obviously weaken the side a bit but I think there's adequate cover in most positions and, if needed, judicious use of the subs bench is always an option.
Peterborough in the Cup on 11:38 - Jan 30 with 2657 viewsfrancisbowles

Peterborough in the Cup on 00:45 - Jan 30 by stainrods_elbow

This! The strange contradiction whereby some fans who like to collude with this kind of thing in the name of some spurious 'wokeness', acknowledging/endorsing the improvments in player welfare since the 1970s/80s in terms of sports science, enhanced diet, better pitches, fewer games (in many cases) etc. etc. then turning round and saying that, at the same time, the poor darlings should still be rested whenever possible and cup games don't count, brings me out in hives. Respect the competition, the fans, and the game itself! Apart from which, how many times have we seen managers 'resting' players because of next Saturday's game only for that to blow up in their faces!

Some truth in what you say but as has been pointed out numerous times before, life has moved on.

This match is the first of 7 in 22 days. That is a relentless schedule and as we saw yesterday, we are usually at our best when we have had a decent break before the game.

We will want to win the game but the six games after it are more important. We are in an excellent position in the league and won't want to jeopardise it. We have a few needing minutes, so Warbs may want to ensure they get them.

It helps that the following game is Wednesday and not Tuesday. A short term gain. It also helps that we can name nine subs and use five especially as there is a chance it could go to extra time.

As Northern points out we can't afford to lose Willock and Wallace can't play three in eight days. I would add Johansen to that list as well. Put them on the bench.

As for the others, we will be guided by the sports science. We don't invest in it to ignore it.
Peterborough in the Cup on 12:03 - Jan 30 with 2606 viewsdavman

Peterborough in the Cup on 18:48 - Jan 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I'd rest Field for definite.

He fouled a lot today and without reviewing the video that's sometimes a sign of being a half a second off, which would be understandable. He's come back in and played a lot of football. I'd send him and his family (if he has one) on a few days' break to a Health Club, tell him to rest up but look after himself, and then get him ready for the Boro game.

Yep, love Sam Field, but I counted at least 8 fouls in quick succession that he got away with. Seemed like he was testing the ref to see what he could get away with, but left him no choice whatsoever when he slipped into that challenge late on.

If Ball is hanging around; him, Dozell and Amos will do on Saturday.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Peterborough in the Cup on 12:05 - Jan 30 with 2600 viewsdavman

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:28 - Jan 29 by Mick_S

With you there mate - we have the best part of 3,500 going and they deserve a proper go at this.

... and we all know what happened last time we all trekked up there...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Peterborough in the Cup on 12:08 - Jan 30 with 2591 viewsdenhamhoop2

Pick the strongest side available Winning is a habit as a club we are not Man United/Liverpool/Chel**** we do not get to pick and choose when we win games. Luckily with Warbs he believes in Respect not just for each game but the opposition as well so fully expect 9 of yesterdays team to start against Peterborough(Depending on if Dieng and Chair are available)
Peterborough in the Cup on 12:08 - Jan 30 with 2591 viewsNorthernr

worth adding that we often have a thread like this before cup games, and Warburton has very rarely made wholesale changes to the team.
Peterborough in the Cup on 12:24 - Jan 30 with 2551 viewsaston_hoop

Today determines if Chair and Dieng are available or not doesn't it? If so, thats an added bonus going into the game.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Peterborough in the Cup on 13:04 - Jan 30 with 2498 viewsDubaiR

I would go with the below

Marshall

Sanderson (if not cup tied)
Dunne
Barbet

Moses
Wallace

Balll
Dozzel

Johansen
Thomas

Austin
Login to get fewer ads

Peterborough in the Cup on 16:39 - Jan 30 with 2376 viewsDavieQPR

It was interesting to see Sanderson was bought on to cover Wallace so might see him at LWB.
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:00 - Jan 30 with 2274 viewsterryb

Is nobody going to select Chair?
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:03 - Jan 30 with 2264 viewsMaggsinho

Peterborough in the Cup on 16:39 - Jan 30 by DavieQPR

It was interesting to see Sanderson was bought on to cover Wallace so might see him at LWB.

Barbet moved to LWB and Sanderson slotted in on the left of the back three. I’ve no doubt he’ll play against Peterborough.

I’d start Chair on the bench and give him 30 minutes or so to ease him back in.
Peterborough in the Cup on 21:04 - Jan 31 with 2053 viewsRangersw12

Cracking support
Peterborough in the Cup on 21:13 - Jan 31 with 2015 viewsdaveB

I would expect to see changes but not wholesale. Moses for Wallace, Sanderson for one of the back 3. Maybe Kakay for Albert then in midfield get minutes for Dozzell and Chair.
Whatever 11 he picks will be pretty strong
Peterborough in the Cup on 22:23 - Jan 31 with 1827 viewsPeterHucker

Marshall

Kakay Dickie Dunne Sanderson Odubajo

Dozzell Ball

Chair Thomas

Austin or Dykes

But at the end of the day I trust in Mark Warburton and the coaching staff to get the balance right between resting those that need to be rested and playing a strong enough team to win the match.
Peterborough in the Cup on 22:40 - Jan 31 with 1778 viewsenfieldargh

Peterborough in the Cup on 22:23 - Jan 31 by PeterHucker

Marshall

Kakay Dickie Dunne Sanderson Odubajo

Dozzell Ball

Chair Thomas

Austin or Dykes

But at the end of the day I trust in Mark Warburton and the coaching staff to get the balance right between resting those that need to be rested and playing a strong enough team to win the match.

Dembele signed for Bournemouth so their main threat is gone

Never seen us win there so please let me get rid of Priskin & Bent from haunting me

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Peterborough in the Cup on 23:23 - Jan 31 with 1690 viewsJigsore

This team has strength in depth, I don't think whipping Adomah, Willock, Johansen through an extra 90 minutes does much except hinder us. If anything it probably gives the other lads currently on the bench a bit of fitness.

if we lose, sorry to the purists, I won't be overly bothered. more bothered we didn't win there in the league. this season is special.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Peterborough in the Cup on 07:20 - Feb 1 with 1540 viewscpgerber

Hendrick in the starting line-up as well.
Peterborough in the Cup on 14:12 - Feb 1 with 1342 viewsstrikerace

6 matches in 22 days, we will be see a lot of squad rotation. Good thing Chair is coming back. I think Dykes and Charlie swapping back and forth (and Gray when he returns), and multiple midfield combinations (including the new player, Chair and Willock resting each other). Its a good thing we have depth. I also think Warbs focusing on the league more than the Cup at this point
Peterborough in the Cup on 14:37 - Feb 1 with 1265 viewsParkRoyalR

Peterborough in the Cup on 14:12 - Feb 1 by strikerace

6 matches in 22 days, we will be see a lot of squad rotation. Good thing Chair is coming back. I think Dykes and Charlie swapping back and forth (and Gray when he returns), and multiple midfield combinations (including the new player, Chair and Willock resting each other). Its a good thing we have depth. I also think Warbs focusing on the league more than the Cup at this point

Not to be disagreeable, but if Austin is anything other than a last 15 minute option to rest Willock or if we are chasing a goal and go 2 up top I'd be fearful for our run-in.

If we are considering starting Austin, unless his match fitness miraculously improves, we are more or less playing with 10 men.

How slow he was to turn to get a shot-off against Reading was painful to see, so easily closed down. I still think he can find a yard in the box with his head but that brought it home to me that he's just not fit enough to find a yard to get shots off in his current state.

Spent his 15 minute cameo telling others who been playing for the previous 75 minutes where to run and close-down! Whereas George Thomas was everywhere (as you would expect for someone playing last 15 minutes) and maybe why Warbs made the point of name-checking Dykes running 50 yards to close-down a Reading attack in 90th minute in contrast to someone whose arms were doing more work than his legs.
Peterborough in the Cup on 15:02 - Feb 1 with 1215 viewsToast_R

I'm still annoyed at the way we chucked away our last 4th round tie against a dire Sheffield Wednesday at home. Tragic that was.
Peterborough in the Cup on 15:40 - Feb 1 with 1124 viewsthemodfather

go for the win, keep the unbeaten run going and a 5th rd awaits. and maybe a few new grounds to see?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024