Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans match thread 09:00 - May 7 with 23002 viewsbosh67

Well, my middle name is 'meaningless' so starting this one.

Manager leaving, Charlie gone, Dykes almost tattooed enough to qualify for a 'Where's Wally?' book, half the team out, leaving, gone, a promising goalkeeper who Chair towers over, players not knowing if a new contract offer involves money, a chance to get 10% of the ball against a team that keeps the ball for an average of 135% a game. What could possibly go wrong?

I hate to say it but I reckon either 3-1 to Swansea or a last play for the gaffer 1-1.

Oh, go on then. 5-0 to us and that slight tinge of anger as to why this Rangers didn't turn up for 10 games!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Swans match thread on 15:07 - May 7 with 3480 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Great to finish the season with a win.

I hope you all have an enjoyable summer and hopefully catch up next season.

All the best
Swans match thread on 15:08 - May 7 with 3467 viewsDannyPaddox

We are top (half) of the league!
Say we are top (half) of the league!
Swans match thread on 15:08 - May 7 with 3458 viewseastside_r

Just arrived at my hotel in Barcelona. That is a very pleasant surprise.
Swans match thread on 15:10 - May 7 with 3426 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Swans match thread on 14:49 - May 7 by Greenbay

FT REPORT
Swansea 0 QPR 1
We won! At last.
It may have been a match that didn't matter.
But I feel so much better.
Whatever you might think - Warbs leaves with a win, Ball - at last playing - leaves the club with a win, Chair - what a class act - finishes the season with a win. Dieng on his return - such a calming influence - keeps a clean sheet. What's not to like?
Even the 700 travelling Rangers fans were singing.
We finish 11th.
In a normal season we would say - not bad - a fraction disappointing considering we finished 9th last year.
Yes two points less but the same 9 points behind the final play-off spot also from last season.
However we have been like a Covid 19 graph.
Massive highs and horrific lows
If we had just built slowly throughout the season to finish 11th we would say - that's ok.
But we had our hopes lifted and then they collapsed.
And with it out goes the manager - contract not extended - lots of players leaving - the unknown of a new manager incoming - and who knows what will happen to us next season.
So I'm going out on a limb - sort of.
If we can finish yet again this time next year in the top half of the table then that will be a major success.
And that's considering that we are a little club, with a small budget and the owners are pumping in money to keep us going.
I'm thankful we still have a club instead of being deleted from history.
Sometimes it's painful but when we win - don't we all feel great?
By the way my new manager will be Mark Warburton - to replace Mark Warburton.
Not a bad track record my new Warbs - a man of dignity and respect.
Yes he has his flaws. But I'll stick with this new Warbs - whoever that may be.
We can only hope.
The season ending is always sad.
But I want to ask at least two questions.
1. Barbet - give him a 3-year contract now. Why not?
2. Why is Ball not staying - a good reliable squad player at the very least - a footballer who gives everything?
Just a statement - I still like Kakay - maybe for next season the right side of midfield with his pace or even a winger. Just a thought.
As for the match - easily forgettable.
Chair was outstanding collecting an intelligent pass from McCallum and set-up a tap in for Gray 10 minutes from time.
So to leave this season behind - with all its idiosyncrasies - but knowing we won our last match - then that will do for me.
Have a good summer.

Your match reports are very articulate and enjoyable so its nice to see such a positive one
today also despite the upheaval .
I am making a visit to historic Lambeau Field in July with my daughter to see Man City play BM .
She is recovering slowly (more mentally than physically ) from her ACL so this is a surprise for her .
She loves John Stones and KDB so I bought 2 seats behind their bench (Jesus help me I got my ass violated but its only money right )
And yes I will be the old guy wearing my 1985 Guinness shirt
Swans match thread on 15:24 - May 7 with 3263 viewsloftboy

Swans match thread on 15:08 - May 7 by DannyPaddox

We are top (half) of the league!
Say we are top (half) of the league!

At least Freddie will be pleased

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Swans match thread on 15:25 - May 7 with 3257 viewsGreenbay

Swans match thread on 15:10 - May 7 by CLAREMAN1995

Your match reports are very articulate and enjoyable so its nice to see such a positive one
today also despite the upheaval .
I am making a visit to historic Lambeau Field in July with my daughter to see Man City play BM .
She is recovering slowly (more mentally than physically ) from her ACL so this is a surprise for her .
She loves John Stones and KDB so I bought 2 seats behind their bench (Jesus help me I got my ass violated but its only money right )
And yes I will be the old guy wearing my 1985 Guinness shirt

Thanks Clareman.
Enjoy Lambeau
Packers also at Spurs in October.
Now have to concentrate on tonight's Bucks match against Boston.
On Sky for those interested.
By the way I own the Packers.
I have one share!!
Swans match thread on 15:33 - May 7 with 3187 viewskropotkin41

One more thing before I really go: nice lot of Irish Rs flags at The Liberty today, I notice. Brilliant given that Swansea have recently had to ban "political flags" because they were having Butcher's Aprons with Unionist slogans on them in the crowd.

Particularly nice given the election results from Thursday. (Oooh light the blue touch paper and retreat..... :O )

Anyway, Croeso I Gymru to all the Irish Rs who crossed the sea.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Swans match thread on 15:39 - May 7 with 3137 viewsBklynRanger

Swans match thread on 15:33 - May 7 by kropotkin41

One more thing before I really go: nice lot of Irish Rs flags at The Liberty today, I notice. Brilliant given that Swansea have recently had to ban "political flags" because they were having Butcher's Aprons with Unionist slogans on them in the crowd.

Particularly nice given the election results from Thursday. (Oooh light the blue touch paper and retreat..... :O )

We'd need to ask them where they were travelling from but quite possibly wouldn't have been able to vote in that election anyway. Was good to see Alliance do well though you're right.
Login to get fewer ads

Swans match thread on 15:45 - May 7 with 3072 viewsAntti_Heinola

Swans match thread on 14:39 - May 7 by Damo1962

Is it just coincidence that Seny returns...and we keep a clean-sheet. What might have been and all that. Big player for us, and I hope he stays.

There were hundreds of tiny cuts that led to us bleeding out, but Seny was by far the worst imo. With him in goal, you could argue we'd have likely got a draw at Blackburn and beaten Cardiff at least. That's 4 more points and a lot more confidence. Huge blow.

Bare bones.

Swans match thread on 16:01 - May 7 with 2927 viewsMyke

Swans match thread on 15:45 - May 7 by Antti_Heinola

There were hundreds of tiny cuts that led to us bleeding out, but Seny was by far the worst imo. With him in goal, you could argue we'd have likely got a draw at Blackburn and beaten Cardiff at least. That's 4 more points and a lot more confidence. Huge blow.

I think that's probably right Antti. 'Death by a thousand cuts' which eventually led to a massive hemorrhaging of confidence - the one ingredient that all players need. Much more credible then some of the farcical conspiracy theories anyway.
Ten points seems a lot, but when you consider we lost to Peterboro, Barnsley, Cardiff and drew with Hull, quite a fine margin really. Anyway, nice to finish up with a win and a clean sheet,before the winds of change blow once more through our little club. Let's hope it's only that and not a 'perfect storm'. The next two months will be very interesting
Swans match thread on 17:00 - May 7 with 2622 viewsDamo1962

Swans match thread on 15:33 - May 7 by kropotkin41

Strangely enough, a lot of people over here in Northern Ireland, associate the Irish Tri-Colour as being just as "blood soaked". Disrespecting the Union or Irish flag, does nothing to heal the wounds of the past.
Swans match thread on 17:15 - May 7 with 2557 viewsMyke

Swans match thread on 17:00 - May 7 by Damo1962

Strangely enough, a lot of people over here in Northern Ireland, associate the Irish Tri-Colour as being just as "blood soaked". Disrespecting the Union or Irish flag, does nothing to heal the wounds of the past.

It's a fair achievement to make the most meaningless of end of season games political
Swans match thread on 17:22 - May 7 with 2521 viewsPinnerPaul

Swans match thread on 14:48 - May 7 by DejR_vu

10 points short with a decimated squad. If the quality of the players doesn’t make any difference why do we bother trying to get good ones? If it does then you’d expect us to suffer results-wise whilst they’re unavailable, or rather anyone with an ounce of common sense would, so why blame the manager? Common sense in short supply.

This club will go nowhere until they get the recruitment at the top right. The Board finally, belatedly, recognised they didn’t have a clue but then appointed the wrong person.

Agree or not with your post but you seem to imply that I disagreed with all your points in my post that didn't even mention the points you make?
Swans match thread on 17:37 - May 7 with 2430 viewsDejR_vu

Swans match thread on 17:22 - May 7 by PinnerPaul

Agree or not with your post but you seem to imply that I disagreed with all your points in my post that didn't even mention the points you make?

Sorry PP, wasn’t a dig, I was just commenting on the observation about being 10 points short.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Swans match thread on 17:38 - May 7 with 2423 viewsSonofpugwash

Andre Gray - 13 starts,10 goals.
Got to be signed on a permanent?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Swans match thread on 18:15 - May 7 with 2287 viewsstainrods_elbow

Swans match thread on 14:29 - May 7 by Toast_R

Well done QPR. Heads held high and magnificent parting gift from Mark for the travelling R's faithful. Remind me why he's deemed not good enough again?

Oh, please. I'll give you a few reasons, shall I, if you're suffering from some kind of footballing amnesia and/or are so over-satisfied with so little.

1. Presided over one of the worst 3-month collapses of any challenging team, Rs, or otherwise, at the business end of any season ever, and the poorest relegation form run of any Champ club during the same period, in which his side consistently exhibited gutlessness, guilelessness and lack of bite, bottle, quality and professionalism.

2. Continually indicated he didn't want to blame injuries while doing so on a weekly basis, conveniently disguising the fact (i) that the losses of Willock and Dieng significantly predated our decline and (ii) our supposed quality/experienced players in Austin, Johansen and Dyknes were as ineffectual when they were playing as when they weren't.

3. Led to us a lower placing/points finish than last season, despite said investment and Board support.

4. Trotting out cliche after cliche and platitude about platitude about 'recognising' this, that and the other repeated failing, 'looking after the football', 'respecting' the opposition, and how he 'can't speak highly enough of the players' to the point where anyone with a brain between their ears would start to recognise this (with the greatest respect and not saying this in a flippant way, far from it) as a classic all too-QPR, loser mentality, passive-aggressive collusion with and/or sponsorship of under-achievement. Being booed by his own fans for that 2nd half vs Peterboro was a real low, but even that didn't embarrass us into anything better.

5. Continuing with an over-rated, sub-standard coaching team in Eustace, who cut his teeth at a sixth tier tinpot club and Banfield, who looks like he's eaten a lorryload of Jaffa Cakes and appears to being about as much Premiership sparkle to the party as Jeff Hendrick.

It's so hard to take, because I was tremendously impressed by how Warburton spoke when appointed, his wonderful connection with QPR/Dave Sexton from the 1970s, his coaching formation and his commitment to flair and enterprise. We've seen some very nice football at times, and also some real spirit and togetherness. Chair and Willock have improved significantly, and we have a handful of credible assets in Dieng, Dickie, Dunne and Barbet. But he's also overseen two appalling runs this season, shown a gross lack of imagnination and innovation to change a losing formula, brought in a number of expensive, inadequate players, and indulged in such a monotony of rhetorical defeatism that, for me, with some sadness and a ton of frustration, the Board is right to show him the door. The performance at Stoke was, indisputably, the final nail in his/our coffin.

Clive can/will pick over the bones on our behalf, but them's the facts. And just for the record, Dave Mc's piece for WLS is not all that, being largely speculative and mainly just joining a few possible (unsourced) dots behind the scenes, which I think kind of sums up where we are as a club and fanbase. From the lack of success of our youth policy (four year contracts to Niko and Kakay - really?), our ultimately rancid recruitment of unfit, injury-prone or just ropey cast-offs (Hello, Charlie, Jojo, Hendrick) and the apparently impregnable positions of glorified administrator Hoos, the satanic Les, and the seemingly unproductive Ramsey continuing more Teflon-coated than a warehouse of frying pans, it's hard to know where we're going from here.
[Post edited 7 May 2022 18:44]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Swans match thread on 18:38 - May 7 with 2193 viewsPunteR

But what do you really think Elbow?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Swans match thread on 18:39 - May 7 with 2187 viewsNed_Kennedys

Swans match thread on 15:04 - May 7 by Logman

But you can only use three subs. Yes, I understand naming 7 subs when there is something riding on the game but there is no point in having kids on the bench if you are giving games to 1st team squad players or players who are leaving and the kids are not going to get on.

It was probably decided during the week that Kakay, Dozzell and Gray would be the subs and that they would be going on. Seems reasonable given the context.

That really is just a ridiculous excuse for the state of our bench: if what you said was in any way correct then he wouldn’t have named two goalkeepers amongst the five subs.
Clearly a combination of him being too stubborn and making an unnecessary point to the board.
Swans match thread on 18:46 - May 7 with 2172 viewsdmm

Swans match thread on 18:38 - May 7 by PunteR

But what do you really think Elbow?

I've got the wrong Elbow, haven't I?
Swans match thread on 18:52 - May 7 with 2152 viewsPunteR

Swans match thread on 18:46 - May 7 by dmm

I've got the wrong Elbow, haven't I?

Great song though. :)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Swans match thread on 21:08 - May 7 with 1896 viewsslmrstid

Swans match thread on 18:52 - May 7 by PunteR

Great song though. :)

"Eustace, who cut his teeth at a sixth tier tinpot club"

I think it a bit disrespectful to refer to Kidderminster that way. Its a club and town I have no feelings for whatsoever, but we should never have this arrogant attitude of "we're too good for them" to anybody. We lost to Vauxhall Motors once... Apart from Chelsea, who we obviously are too good for.

Managers get criticised for starting at big clubs (see Gerrard, Lampard etc) and seemingly criticised for starting at too small clubs (see above - but remember Chris Wilder cut his teeth at Alfreton Town and hasn't done too badly...)

Maybe managers need to start at clubs that are just right.
Swans match thread on 21:12 - May 7 with 1868 viewsstainrods_elbow

Swans match thread on 21:08 - May 7 by slmrstid

"Eustace, who cut his teeth at a sixth tier tinpot club"

I think it a bit disrespectful to refer to Kidderminster that way. Its a club and town I have no feelings for whatsoever, but we should never have this arrogant attitude of "we're too good for them" to anybody. We lost to Vauxhall Motors once... Apart from Chelsea, who we obviously are too good for.

Managers get criticised for starting at big clubs (see Gerrard, Lampard etc) and seemingly criticised for starting at too small clubs (see above - but remember Chris Wilder cut his teeth at Alfreton Town and hasn't done too badly...)

Maybe managers need to start at clubs that are just right.

OK, 'tinpot' was/is perhaps a little unkind. But it probably registers my annoyance with the odd over-rating of Eustace, who has clearly been part of the problem these past three months - however small or large we gauge it. It would be ridiculous for him and Banfield to stay in post now Warburton has left the building.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Swans match thread on 22:19 - May 7 with 1703 viewsderbyhoop

Swans match thread on 18:39 - May 7 by Ned_Kennedys

That really is just a ridiculous excuse for the state of our bench: if what you said was in any way correct then he wouldn’t have named two goalkeepers amongst the five subs.
Clearly a combination of him being too stubborn and making an unnecessary point to the board.

Have we had any explanation of the subs bench?

Pre match Gallery showed Dunne, JoJo and Hendrick but none of them were involved today. Was there a late problem affecting all 3.

MW could have added some U23s to the bench, assuming they could have got there in time. We couldn't use players out on loan unless the loan contracts had expired. Most would have gone to end of May or June.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Swans match thread on 22:30 - May 7 with 1656 viewsDorse

Swans match thread on 14:33 - May 7 by kensalriser

Dom Ball back in the team, clean sheet and an away win.*

*This is just for Dorse. For everyone else, yeah I know it was really Seny.

Wasn't.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Swans match thread on 23:28 - May 7 with 1463 viewsQPROslo

Swans match thread on 22:19 - May 7 by derbyhoop

Have we had any explanation of the subs bench?

Pre match Gallery showed Dunne, JoJo and Hendrick but none of them were involved today. Was there a late problem affecting all 3.

MW could have added some U23s to the bench, assuming they could have got there in time. We couldn't use players out on loan unless the loan contracts had expired. Most would have gone to end of May or June.

Well Nick London said Dunne had an injury on the QPR+ commentary. He didnt saywhether it was an infectious injury or not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024