Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 77818 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 17:53 - Aug 25 with 4023 viewskel

Next manager and reasons why... on 17:24 - Aug 25 by BleuRochdale

How would people feel about Jim Bentley?

Same as I feel about wums turbo posting on their first day on a forum. Not easily conned.
Next manager and reasons why... on 18:29 - Aug 25 with 3812 viewsjoecooke

I would like us to appoint Neil Ardley whos at Solihull Moors.Unlikely as he is under contract etc but that type of appointment would be interesting.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:51 - Aug 25 with 3686 viewsfermin

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:29 - Aug 25 by joecooke

I would like us to appoint Neil Ardley whos at Solihull Moors.Unlikely as he is under contract etc but that type of appointment would be interesting.

Neil Ardley was a popular player at Wimbledon yet as a manager he was nicknamed Nil Ardley. He was very much into BBM style football. I am not sure what he is like at Solihull. Perhaps he has changed.
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:04 - Aug 25 with 3621 viewsmightydale

Luke Gerrard, anybody

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:12 - Aug 25 with 3557 viewsEllDale

Do you mean Garrard from Borehamwood?
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:15 - Aug 25 with 3532 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:04 - Aug 25 by mightydale

Luke Gerrard, anybody

Doesn't seem a terrible shout.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:32 - Aug 25 with 3444 viewsTomRAFC

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:29 - Aug 25 by joecooke

He's had success at this level, so he's definitely an interesting candidate.

Whilst I've every faith our season can be turned around, I can't help but wonder if he'd want to leave a club currently on track for promotion to the league for a club currently on track to relegation from the league.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:37 - Aug 25 with 3399 viewsChris1803

I think Luke Garrard would be a cracking appointment. He's the combination of a young manager but one with decent managerial experience as he has notched up 300+ games in management already, despite being just 36 years old.
He's taken Boreham Wood from being a bottom end National League side, to a side that has widely been viewed as a mid-table at worst sort of club - and they've finished the season in the playoffs on two occaisions during his time there.

League finishes under his tenure:

15/16 - 19th
16/17 - 11th
17/18 - 4th
18/19 - 20th
19/20 - 5th
20/21 - 14th
21/22 - 9th
22/23 - Currently sitting 7th

I'd be really happy with him - but - He signed a new 3 year contract in May 2022, so unless there's a release clause of some form for him to go to a higher league club, the compensation could be quite hefty.
Also, because he's very much Southern based (during his playing career as well as manager), there's a chance he may not fancy making the move North.
Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:54 - Aug 25 with 3074 viewsrochedale

IMO… there’ll be no quick fix here. Anyone expecting a manager to come in and do a KH will be really upset. We need a long term plan. Well established managers wanting a big budget will be hard to attract so a manager in the same situation as RS will probably get the job. For me though, RS relied on contacts for players, who, unfortunately, weren’t/aren’t that great. So a manager coming in has got a tough task, and any prospective candidate will see that. They’ll have done their research and know the squad, to a certain degree. It’s a tough one, who will it be, who knows? Survival will be a minor miracle, and it won’t come overnight, if at all. We aren’t a great pull at the minute, so I’m not surprised, if rumours are true, that GA turned us down. I’d would welcome KH, even given all his failings, as I reckon he could still do it for us, but I think that ship has sailed. New manager, whoever it is, will need time a personality to match KH. Let’s hope it happens soon and the right decision is made.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:07 - Aug 25 with 2790 viewssweetcorn

Bring home the king on a one year rolling deal.

Seems like the safest of all the options open to us at the minute. Knows the club, knows the league and should be able to hit the ground running.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:23 - Aug 25 with 2699 viewsClivert

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:07 - Aug 25 by sweetcorn

Bring home the king on a one year rolling deal.

Seems like the safest of all the options open to us at the minute. Knows the club, knows the league and should be able to hit the ground running.

I'm edging towards this too, he also knows the restraints on what we have training wise and how the clubs works in general. He has also turned around things twice previously when we have been in a bad place on the pitch.

The major downside is the divide in the fan base that it would certainly create at a time when we all need to be pulling together on and off the pitch.
Next manager and reasons why... on 22:34 - Aug 25 with 2652 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:23 - Aug 25 by Clivert

I'm edging towards this too, he also knows the restraints on what we have training wise and how the clubs works in general. He has also turned around things twice previously when we have been in a bad place on the pitch.

The major downside is the divide in the fan base that it would certainly create at a time when we all need to be pulling together on and off the pitch.

Would think that’s probably the main reason against it. It’s now a week since Stockdale left though and the changes in fans expectations are obviously changing as if that decision had to be made, we’d have hoped someone would have been identified and in place by now. Rightly or wrongly, there’s a tangible worry that increases with each passing day.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:50 - Aug 25 with 2596 viewsD_Alien

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:49 - Aug 24 by SuddenLad

The more i read this, the more it's starting to appear like a "Come and get me" type statement

Not forgetting that two minutes before he left for Barnsley in 2011, he issued a statement denying any intention of moving

[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 22:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:14 - Aug 25 with 2507 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:34 - Aug 25 by 442Dale

Would think that’s probably the main reason against it. It’s now a week since Stockdale left though and the changes in fans expectations are obviously changing as if that decision had to be made, we’d have hoped someone would have been identified and in place by now. Rightly or wrongly, there’s a tangible worry that increases with each passing day.

He wouldn't be returning on the back of any success with either Bolton or Scunthorpe either also who would his assistant be I doubt Flicker would be interested in giving up his role as director of football in a league one club. Would Beech fancy being Hill's number 2 again. It is such a shame it took so long for the previous board to sack him because had he been jettisoned much earlier in the 2018/19 season I have a feeling more fans would be warm to the idea of Hill returning.

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:19 - Aug 25 with 2476 viewsD_Alien

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:14 - Aug 25 by James1980

He wouldn't be returning on the back of any success with either Bolton or Scunthorpe either also who would his assistant be I doubt Flicker would be interested in giving up his role as director of football in a league one club. Would Beech fancy being Hill's number 2 again. It is such a shame it took so long for the previous board to sack him because had he been jettisoned much earlier in the 2018/19 season I have a feeling more fans would be warm to the idea of Hill returning.

One thing that's rarely taken into consideration is how much the departure of Chris Dunphy and the start of the Bottomley regime influenced how he conducted himself during those last few months

We've seen how Bottomley made no bones about getting rid of Hendo when he was perceived as being a bigger fish than the CEO could stomach - just think how much Bottomley would've been looking askance at the most successful manager the club has ever had

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:11 - Aug 26 with 2394 viewssweetcorn

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:14 - Aug 25 by James1980

You’ve conveniently left out a fairly successful season with Tranmere which for whatever reason ended abruptly.

Who his assistant is, is irrelevant at this stage, if Hill wants to come and the club want him that can be ironed out after the fact.

Next manager and reasons why... on 01:18 - Aug 26 with 2305 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:11 - Aug 26 by sweetcorn

You’ve conveniently left out a fairly successful season with Tranmere which for whatever reason ended abruptly.

Who his assistant is, is irrelevant at this stage, if Hill wants to come and the club want him that can be ironed out after the fact.

Nothing convenient about it embarrassingly I just totally forgot about the Tranmere Tenure.

Next manager and reasons why... on 01:42 - Aug 26 with 2290 viewsdalian

Hill is the man for the job. Proven - twice
. Stats- ticked. And, without any doubt, and most importantly, he cares. Which money can't buy. I'd take him at the drop of a hat. Especially if we could get Flicker with him. I think the board could learn from him funnily enough. But above all, he would lead. And with a smile. In true Rochdalian style, come what may.
Next manager and reasons why... on 08:03 - Aug 26 with 2001 viewsTalkingSutty

Next manager and reasons why... on 01:18 - Aug 26 by James1980

Nothing convenient about it embarrassingly I just totally forgot about the Tranmere Tenure.

His tenure at Tranmere ended abruptly because he basically abused the fan base and the club, three days later the Chairman sacked him. If you read the Cowshed forum the full fallout is in one of their threads. He also did a similar thing at Bolton, turned on the fans in the media after losing at Accrington 7-0 and said that the fans expect too much, he's from Bolton and their fans don't have a good word to say about him or the style of football he played.

If we hadn't have sacked him and replaced him with BBM it would have been almost certain relegation...we conceded three and four goals on a very regular basis and it was under Hill we started all this passing around at the back. Then he ended up at Scunthorpe and had about half a season and a transfer window to make a difference, there was no improvement at all and they remained bottom of the league. This season they have started off poorly again and It appears that he wont be in the job very long if they don't start winning. I haven't looked but i think he's won about 5 games out of 30 at Scunthorpe, a worse record than Stockdale. Edit, just checked and it looks like 3 wins in 37 games ( not far off a full season)

He's a manager who has been failing for years, when he took over at Tranmere they had just won 5 games on the spin under their caretaker manager and the fans never liked him ( there is a pattern),they actually had a very good squad in place anyway. They reached the play offs and when interviewed prior to the first game he said that the Chairman, Directors and fans are wrong to have any expectations in the play offs and then the interview went downhill from there. Within a few days the owners of the club sacked him.Expectation is what football is all about.

If we do appoint Hill i think he will run amok and disharmony in the club will spread quickly, he will use the Scunthorpe scenario as a reason for failure, it's never ever his fault. I don't think his name is even in the frame anyway, people have short memories and i detect a lot of desperation from fans, that's why we are seeing the straw clutching regarding Hill. Too much panicking and too many doom and gloom merchants, the season is still very young and i still think we have a decent team within our squad.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 8:39]
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:21 - Aug 26 with 1767 viewsKnavesmireBob

At the risk of sycophancy I'm loving having you back regularly posting at the mo' TalkingSutty, this message board has been superb the last couple of weeks with so much passion on display and nearly all of it remaining channeled in a positive way despite the stressful time we're in.

I don't think Keith has ever been the same since he lost his dad. I've actually found it really sad to watch him operate since then given his brilliance back in the day, but definitely not for me anymore.

I run a sports recruitment business in a different part of the industry and it's an absolute nightmare trying to close out job offers in the current climate these days so I can massively empathise with whatever's going on behind the scenes. Equally the vast majority of those offers tend to successfully conclude on a Friday for whatever reason, so I'm continuing to constantly refresh all Dale related social media and the glass remains half full in hoping there's an Artell or Askey unveiling on the cards for later today!
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:27 - Aug 26 with 1745 viewssweetcorn

Next manager and reasons why... on 08:03 - Aug 26 by TalkingSutty

His tenure at Tranmere ended abruptly because he basically abused the fan base and the club, three days later the Chairman sacked him. If you read the Cowshed forum the full fallout is in one of their threads. He also did a similar thing at Bolton, turned on the fans in the media after losing at Accrington 7-0 and said that the fans expect too much, he's from Bolton and their fans don't have a good word to say about him or the style of football he played.

If we hadn't have sacked him and replaced him with BBM it would have been almost certain relegation...we conceded three and four goals on a very regular basis and it was under Hill we started all this passing around at the back. Then he ended up at Scunthorpe and had about half a season and a transfer window to make a difference, there was no improvement at all and they remained bottom of the league. This season they have started off poorly again and It appears that he wont be in the job very long if they don't start winning. I haven't looked but i think he's won about 5 games out of 30 at Scunthorpe, a worse record than Stockdale. Edit, just checked and it looks like 3 wins in 37 games ( not far off a full season)

He's a manager who has been failing for years, when he took over at Tranmere they had just won 5 games on the spin under their caretaker manager and the fans never liked him ( there is a pattern),they actually had a very good squad in place anyway. They reached the play offs and when interviewed prior to the first game he said that the Chairman, Directors and fans are wrong to have any expectations in the play offs and then the interview went downhill from there. Within a few days the owners of the club sacked him.Expectation is what football is all about.

If we do appoint Hill i think he will run amok and disharmony in the club will spread quickly, he will use the Scunthorpe scenario as a reason for failure, it's never ever his fault. I don't think his name is even in the frame anyway, people have short memories and i detect a lot of desperation from fans, that's why we are seeing the straw clutching regarding Hill. Too much panicking and too many doom and gloom merchants, the season is still very young and i still think we have a decent team within our squad.

So you're able to say his success at tranmere was because he's taken over a ready made squad, but his time at Scunthorpe is just because he's sh*t? Scunthorpe have been a rotting club for years and no one has managed to stop that rot as of yet.

My memory isn't short, I know exactly how his last tenure ended, but in spite of that I'd still have him back. We're getting turned down at every avenue, which leaves us to choose between gambles and failures. We aren't you're average run of the mill club are we? We don't even have our own training facilities, this could be a shock to the system for some managers, whereas Hill knows exactly what he's getting and for most of his time here he's got a tune out of the squad.

The fact one man can trigger so many of our fans is honestly laughable, so long as he gets results the rest shouldn't matter.

As for saying the season is young, it may be, but if we appoint the wrong man and 5 games soon turns to 15 games we're already down. Hill in my opinion from who is available mitigates that risk best.

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:29 - Aug 26 with 1739 viewsDaleiLama

I don't think any manager will ever have as much success at RAFC as Hilly had.

I'm sure Hilly won't have it again. Love what he did for us but agree, he isn't the answer to our current issues.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:34 - Aug 26 with 1724 viewsDaleFan7

Tranmere looked surefire for automatic promotion and then they only won 2 of their last 11 games scoring only 7 goals which dropped them almost out of the playoffs, mix that with his bizarre rant against the players and fans, like you say, he was sacked.

Moving to Scunthorpe he's won 3 out of 35 league games since joining including only 1 in 4 in the National League. They were noticeably worse after they'd hired him than when Cox was in charge and that is saying something.

From 23rd March 2021 to today, he's won 5 league games out of his last 46 at a strike rate of 10.8%. That doesn't scream as someone who will save us from relegation. If he were to use the Scunthorpe situation as an excuse, how is it any different to where we find ourselves at the moment? Last year Scunthorpe had 6 points after 5 games. We have 0.
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:45 - Aug 26 with 1672 viewsTalkingSutty

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:27 - Aug 26 by sweetcorn

So you're able to say his success at tranmere was because he's taken over a ready made squad, but his time at Scunthorpe is just because he's sh*t? Scunthorpe have been a rotting club for years and no one has managed to stop that rot as of yet.

My memory isn't short, I know exactly how his last tenure ended, but in spite of that I'd still have him back. We're getting turned down at every avenue, which leaves us to choose between gambles and failures. We aren't you're average run of the mill club are we? We don't even have our own training facilities, this could be a shock to the system for some managers, whereas Hill knows exactly what he's getting and for most of his time here he's got a tune out of the squad.

The fact one man can trigger so many of our fans is honestly laughable, so long as he gets results the rest shouldn't matter.

As for saying the season is young, it may be, but if we appoint the wrong man and 5 games soon turns to 15 games we're already down. Hill in my opinion from who is available mitigates that risk best.

How do you know we are getting turned down at every avenue? The only way anybody would know that would be if things are being leaked out of the Boardroom..i would like to think our Chairman and Directors are a bit more professional than that. If things like that are happening then the Chairman needs to get a grip of the people who are responsible because it underminds them, we can't have the tail wagging the dog...fans who like to think they are in the know. If those in the boardroom want Hill they wil appoint him, his management stats since we sacked him speak for themselves.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 9:48]
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:07 - Aug 26 with 1559 viewsAtThePeake

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:27 - Aug 26 by sweetcorn

Scunthorpe may have been a 'rotting club' for a while, but they were only 3 points from safety when he took over and they finished 18 points away. Some of his signings to try and keep them up included Ryan Delaney and Rekeil Pyke. If we were getting a 2008 or 2014 Hill then that would be an incredible hire, but he isn't the same manager anymore.

The reason people don't want Hill back isn't because they're 'triggered' (christ, maybe it is 2014 after all), it's because of that next part - 'so long as he gets results'. As those above have pointed out, winning 5 out of the last 46 league games suggests he wouldn't.

Tangled up in blue.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024