Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 77642 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:34 - Aug 23 with 4876 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:25 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

Stonehouse, Whellans, Ainscow, Small, Chapman in 89? Remember those? Dolan also signed Brown, Goodison, Ward at the same time.

Hit and miss and we didn’t know until about October who was good or bad. That’s one example from the last 50 years. Need any more?

I know they were in Division Three, but the 1973/74 squad must take some beating - which they often did!

Or the 1979/80 squad that scored once in 15 games; I'm sure the current lot might do a bit better than that with a new manager.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:39 - Aug 23 with 4819 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:34 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

I know they were in Division Three, but the 1973/74 squad must take some beating - which they often did!

Or the 1979/80 squad that scored once in 15 games; I'm sure the current lot might do a bit better than that with a new manager.

The 84/85 squad was limited beyond belief. Until we signed Steve Taylor it was the sort of team that gave kids watching the idea they could make it professionally.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:48 - Aug 23 with 4779 viewsEllDale

I shudder when I remember the start to the 1977/78 season. I think Dale lost 11 out of the first 15 matches.
And out of the other four there were three games (two of them in the League Cup) against Halifax which saw a draw and two wins so, if anything, they must have been as bad as we were!
Next manager and reasons why... on 14:01 - Aug 23 with 4703 viewsAtThePeake

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:46 - Aug 23 by 49thseason

I dont disagree, but when you sign a player with very few 1st team games under his belt, you run the risk of discovering that he simply cannot cut the mustard. As a coach, Stockdale probably thought he could cure any lack of experience, and indeed you can maybe accommodate a single inexperienced player, the questions are, how inexperienced and how many players are basically short of experience? Seriki, John, Graham, Nelson, Brierley, Malley, Taylor, Charman, Campbell, Sinclair, Tulloch all have very little league football experience. All possibly excellent players in time but a club in our position needs more players with proven game time. Injuries haven't helped but this squad is top heavy with youngsters and its just naive thinking to imagine that having 4, 5 or 6 of them in the team at the same time will produce satisfactory results.
I dont think Stockdale could shed his U23s coach thinking and get L2 manager into his head, his idea of adding experience was 35 year old Diagouraga and a 37 year old Henderson, what we needed were 26 or 27 year old versions of them or at least replacements with 100+ league games under their belts

Fair points, but it's worth pointing out we've had a similar lack of experience in some of our previous successful squads. 16/17 for example, which a lot of people have referred to recently as the closest we've come to getting in the League One play-offs, our squad included Scott Tanser, Harrison McGahey, Ollie Rathbone, Donal McDermott, Aaron Morley, Andy Cannon plus loanees like Ben Wilson, Mark Kitching and Sanmi Odelusi who all had less than 50 league appearances to their names.

Agree wholeheartedly with your last point though and that 2016/2017 squad had plenty of players of that ilk. The few we have at the moment are either injured (Keohane), limited (Ball) or have questions over them regarding attitude (Kelly).

Tangled up in blue.

Next manager and reasons why... on 15:50 - Aug 23 with 4366 viewshammerdale

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:22 - Aug 22 by James1980

I prioritise home games. I work 2 weekends in 3 and get rostered annual leave and get 4 adhoc days plus lieu days I can book if I work bank holiday. If someone is already off being relief staff I can't get the day off unless I swap a rest day with one of my colleagues. This time of year it is quite difficult to swap for Saturday off.
I have used up all my spare leave to get to the home games I can this calendar year. I requested a late shift on Wednesday this week because I am going up to the cup game tomorrow and staying over night. I also asked for an early finish as possible on Friday because I will be getting up early on Saturday which is a day I have taken as leave. My shifts this week to facilitate seeing Dale
Wednesday 15:45-00:30
Thursday 13:25-22:20
Friday 10:20-19:05
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 22:00]

You are a top fan, all credit to you
Next manager and reasons why... on 17:03 - Aug 23 with 4101 viewsTrev

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:01 - Aug 23 by AtThePeake

Fair points, but it's worth pointing out we've had a similar lack of experience in some of our previous successful squads. 16/17 for example, which a lot of people have referred to recently as the closest we've come to getting in the League One play-offs, our squad included Scott Tanser, Harrison McGahey, Ollie Rathbone, Donal McDermott, Aaron Morley, Andy Cannon plus loanees like Ben Wilson, Mark Kitching and Sanmi Odelusi who all had less than 50 league appearances to their names.

Agree wholeheartedly with your last point though and that 2016/2017 squad had plenty of players of that ilk. The few we have at the moment are either injured (Keohane), limited (Ball) or have questions over them regarding attitude (Kelly).

There's questions over Kelly's attitude?
Next manager and reasons why... on 22:10 - Aug 23 with 3622 viewsSheffield_dale

Got a little bit of insider knowledge from Hillsborough today that Graham Coughlan has been interviewed for the job. He was there tonight and apparently is awaiting an answer from the board. Not sure how I feel about that... Artell is still my preferred choice
Next manager and reasons why... on 22:48 - Aug 23 with 3484 viewswroughtironron

Graham Coughlan looks like he takes no s--t.
Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:52 - Aug 23 with 3446 viewskel

Only me that refers to him as an ‘expert’ apparently.

#bitterkel
Next manager and reasons why... on 23:15 - Aug 23 with 3343 viewsChaffRAFC

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:10 - Aug 23 by Sheffield_dale

Got a little bit of insider knowledge from Hillsborough today that Graham Coughlan has been interviewed for the job. He was there tonight and apparently is awaiting an answer from the board. Not sure how I feel about that... Artell is still my preferred choice

Coughlan's last job was 2019/20 at Mansfield where he won 4 out of 27 games.

Did better at Bristol Rovers in League One prior to that but still about as far from inspiring as you can get for me.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:18 - Aug 23 with 3317 viewsBrierls

I’d be surprised if we appointed Coughlan.

Did very well at Bristol Rovers. but equally bad in his last managerial role as Mansfield.
Next manager and reasons why... on 23:20 - Aug 23 with 3292 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:15 - Aug 23 by ChaffRAFC

Did better at Bristol Rovers in League One prior to that but still about as far from inspiring as you can get for me.

He’d taken Rovers to fourth in L1 before choosing to move, admittedly it’s a woeful record at Mansfield mind.

Right now though, I’d take pretty much anyone half decent who we can get in this week with the sole aim of getting results.

Would even advocate a return for Steve Parkin!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:53 - Aug 24 with 2871 viewsEllDale

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:20 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

He’d taken Rovers to fourth in L1 before choosing to move, admittedly it’s a woeful record at Mansfield mind.

Right now though, I’d take pretty much anyone half decent who we can get in this week with the sole aim of getting results.

Would even advocate a return for Steve Parkin!

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day if Parkin would come back.
Dismissed the notion as fanciful though.
I think he's a bit maligned on here to be honest.
I know he had a decent budget and could spend money but I still maintain that if he hadn't hopped off to Barnsley in the autumn of 2002 and taken Gary Jones with him then we'd have gained automatic promotion that season.
And when he came back for his second spell we were fighting a relegation battle after the chaos of Alan Buckley's six month reign. And he kept us up before signing the likes of Grant Holt and Ricky Lambert.
His last few months in 2006 were pretty horrendous but don't outweigh the good times he gave us.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:01 - Aug 24 with 2834 viewselectricblue

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:15 - Aug 23 by ChaffRAFC

Two managers job in 2 seasons even thougb he says he left bristol to move nearer his family....

Sorry but that does not come across as inspiring aswell...

Rather it be Artell...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:04 - Aug 24 with 2822 viewsDaleFan7

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:53 - Aug 24 by EllDale

I know he had a decent budget and could spend money but I still maintain that if he hadn't hopped off to Barnsley in the autumn of 2002 and taken Gary Jones with him then we'd have gained automatic promotion that season.
And when he came back for his second spell we were fighting a relegation battle after the chaos of Alan Buckley's six month reign. And he kept us up before signing the likes of Grant Holt and Ricky Lambert.
His last few months in 2006 were pretty horrendous but don't outweigh the good times he gave us.

He'll be getting paid a pretty penny to be assistant at Wrexham. Can't see him being interested even if we were.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:45 - Aug 24 with 2691 viewsNorthernDale

If the rumour is correct that the board have conducted interviews, then I hope the board is in a position to announce it before the weekend. We need somebody to come and kick the players up the ar*e with some harsh truths, that is besides sign some players.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:46 - Aug 24 with 2685 viewsTomRAFC

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:53 - Aug 24 by EllDale

He talked about this at a Dale Trust curry night a while back. He said he was enjoying coaching but thought the game had changed too much for his management style to be a fit anymore.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:01 - Aug 24 with 2484 viewsDaleiLama

For me, the right appointment is far more important than a quick appointment, and I have faith that the current board will exercise as much due diligence as they have at their disposal to get their man or woman, in spite of the thread attempting to impugn them.

I did, however, notice a tweet this morning reducing prices for hospitality for Crawley - a bellwether perhaps for the current state of affairs. A padded seat is offered as part of the package. If we lose this one, I think a padded cell may be more appropriate. Note to self: if we come away with 0 points, stay away from forum for a few days.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:04 - Aug 24 with 2456 views49thseason

Artell may not have applied. And his success was mainly due to the strength of the Crewe Academy,. I dont think we are in the same situation, as I dont see any of the Academy knocking on the first team dressing room door at the moment.
Whoever is appointed, needs to break the mould and take risks that the coaching manuals wouldnt approve of. Small risks dont really change things and we are at the point where small risks may not save us either.
The ability to do things differently is a rare commodity in our risk-off society, but we are at a point where the usual stuff doesn't really help, hence Jim hasn't changed a thing. Instead he could have taken the squad for a few laps of Hollingworth lake or up Knowle Hill maybe to Ainsdale for a run on the beach. Instead, they get the same thing every day, the same warm up, the same drills, the same team talks, it becomes just a job, and requires less and less thought. The players need to be challenged and not just physically (they are probably as fit as they will ever be) if they are to enjoy training.
Equally the same applies on the pitch. Debates about the "shape" are sterile when the squad patently isnt capable of playing well in the preferred set-up, the managers job is to find a way to be effective with his 11 best players on the pitch, to take risks and being prepared to shift and adapt to the demands of the opposition. Ideally the opposition will be the ones forced to change.
Have any of Bielsa's adherents applied?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 12:11]
Next manager and reasons why... on 12:14 - Aug 24 with 2409 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:04 - Aug 24 by 49thseason

Artell may not have applied. And his success was mainly due to the strength of the Crewe Academy,. I dont think we are in the same situation, as I dont see any of the Academy knocking on the first team dressing room door at the moment.
Whoever is appointed, needs to break the mould and take risks that the coaching manuals wouldnt approve of. Small risks dont really change things and we are at the point where small risks may not save us either.
The ability to do things differently is a rare commodity in our risk-off society, but we are at a point where the usual stuff doesn't really help, hence Jim hasn't changed a thing. Instead he could have taken the squad for a few laps of Hollingworth lake or up Knowle Hill maybe to Ainsdale for a run on the beach. Instead, they get the same thing every day, the same warm up, the same drills, the same team talks, it becomes just a job, and requires less and less thought. The players need to be challenged and not just physically (they are probably as fit as they will ever be) if they are to enjoy training.
Equally the same applies on the pitch. Debates about the "shape" are sterile when the squad patently isnt capable of playing well in the preferred set-up, the managers job is to find a way to be effective with his 11 best players on the pitch, to take risks and being prepared to shift and adapt to the demands of the opposition. Ideally the opposition will be the ones forced to change.
Have any of Bielsa's adherents applied?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 12:11]

Maybe Jim isn't changing things because he isn't going to be the permanent manager and the new boss might change things again.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:58 - Aug 24 with 2218 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:14 - Aug 24 by James1980

Maybe Jim isn't changing things because he isn't going to be the permanent manager and the new boss might change things again.

That's irrelevant, James. He's had two games in charge and we aren't in a position to not try to get something out of them by sticking to a style of play that isn't working. Every minute counts!

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:01 - Aug 24 with 2204 viewsHopwoodblue

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:14 - Aug 24 by James1980

It doesn’t matter what the next managers going to do.
If Jim had have played 5 up front and 5 at the back with no goal keeper
If we would have come away with three points that’s all that matters.
Point being we can’t waste time worrying about what the next manager wants.
It’s about the here and now !
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 13:05]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:05 - Aug 24 with 2181 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:58 - Aug 24 by TVOS1907

That's irrelevant, James. He's had two games in charge and we aren't in a position to not try to get something out of them by sticking to a style of play that isn't working. Every minute counts!

I totally agree it certainly isn't a wise approach, if that is why we aren't seeing any real changes with lineups and tactics. Just putting it forward as a potential explanation.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:09 - Aug 24 with 1974 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 22:52 - Aug 23 by kel

Only me that refers to him as an ‘expert’ apparently.

#bitterkel

You're being tweeted about again.

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:12 - Aug 24 with 1957 viewskel

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:09 - Aug 24 by TVOS1907

You're being tweeted about again.

So I see. Looks like somebody is bitter…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024