Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 77819 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:09 - Aug 26 with 3083 viewsSaxonDale

Would Hilly have been my first, second or even fifth choice? No, but I don’t think we’re in a position to attract them. There’s no doubt that he hasn’t been the same manager since midway through his second spell with us. Presume the loss of his agent and father had a huge impact personally on him and still does so. There’s no doubt that the early Keith Hill years were special, by and large as he was ahead of the curve on so many things- particularly in League 2. Ball-playing goalkeepers, prozone, preseasons abroad etc were all rarely seen by other clubs in his early days but have become part and parcel of football at all levels now. However, I’m not sure if he’s still ahead of the curve and his teams haven’t been as revolutionary for quite a while now.

Having said all that. He knows the club, which will allow him to hit the ground running- something which is needed. He also knows how to get the best out of EEL and the best out of Hendo- put very simply, I think if we don’t strengthen then getting them 2 playing well (as well as players like Rodney and Kelly) is as good a chance we’ve got at staying up.

And yes- I know it’s all a rumour.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:40 - Aug 26 with 2902 viewsCedar_Room

I'm getting slightly worried that its Friday and still no manager has been appointed. IMO if McNulty is still in charge for Saturday's game then that's as good as saying its another defeat. But even appointing someone today would feel far too late for any real changes to happen. You do have to assume the board are working hard on this and if it really is the case that our first choices are turning down the opportunity then I can see why people think Hill might be a safe pair of hands. However I really think his record since leaving us second time round has been poor. He oversaw Scunthorpe getting relegated from L2 and they didn't even start the season as badly as we have. Yes he knows the club but we need someone who can turn around a failing team which his most recent experience suggests he's just not capable of doing any more. Whoever the club appoints it is going to be a gamble but Hill feels like a gamble too far.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:54 - Aug 26 with 2831 viewsjonahwhereru

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:07 - Aug 26 by AtThePeake

Scunthorpe may have been a 'rotting club' for a while, but they were only 3 points from safety when he took over and they finished 18 points away. Some of his signings to try and keep them up included Ryan Delaney and Rekeil Pyke. If we were getting a 2008 or 2014 Hill then that would be an incredible hire, but he isn't the same manager anymore.

The reason people don't want Hill back isn't because they're 'triggered' (christ, maybe it is 2014 after all), it's because of that next part - 'so long as he gets results'. As those above have pointed out, winning 5 out of the last 46 league games suggests he wouldn't.

The thought of another return for KH hadn’t crossed my mind. Given the profile of his career this would be the archetype boom or bust appointment. My gut says it would be a bust. His positive self endorsement in the sound bit he gave is enough to unnerve me.

Of cause if he turned it around he would end up with a statue next to Cloughie’s.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:55 - Aug 26 with 2831 viewssnuffler

At this moment nobody other than the members of the board know who has been interested in the job, all this is just speculation and maybe none of the people mentioned are interested in such a very difficult job. However I really hope they appoint someone very soon so they at least have a few days before the end of the transfer window to bring in and also move on the players they don’t need
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:16 - Aug 26 with 2709 viewsdingdangblue

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:55 - Aug 26 by snuffler

At this moment nobody other than the members of the board know who has been interested in the job, all this is just speculation and maybe none of the people mentioned are interested in such a very difficult job. However I really hope they appoint someone very soon so they at least have a few days before the end of the transfer window to bring in and also move on the players they don’t need

It's pretty much unheard of sacking your manager 4 games into a season. How is someone going to come in and move players on - without even looking at them? Most players will be fixed up by now - certainly anyone half decent. We are stuck with these players and it's upto the new manager to get a system and get them playing.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:29 - Aug 26 with 2658 viewsNorthernDale

I would not mind if the board gave an update on the recruitment and at what stage the club is at, in terms of being able to announce the new manager. The silence is deafening and also slightly worrying, with the transfer deadline closing in days, because the present squad is not good enough for the conference, never mind league 2.

I have to agree with the sentiment that leaving McNulty in charge for Saturday is just ensuring another defeat, no matter how bad Crawley are. He will pick the same formation, possibly the same team and produce no shots on target, no creativity and concede poor goals, the McNulty clearly lacks any ability to manage or change tactics or the team.
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:39 - Aug 26 with 2586 viewsBucketBstard

Wow , people are actually considering KIm Jung Hill for a return.
Can you not remember how toxic this club was the latter half of his last spell?
If he did come back dont forget it will be your fault we got relegated , because you expected too much, and he didnt have the money , and you dont know how to coach....FFS
I think his scouting manual is from 2008 as well since he always goes back to players that were good one time , thats possibly a reason why he has failed since getting the boot here.
I dont envy the board in this situation because this appoint has to succeed. And the candidates all seem toi have flaws, but a decision needs making ASAP. Thankfully McNumpty has shown he is no good at it , phew !
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:40 - Aug 26 with 2584 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:54 - Aug 26 by jonahwhereru

The thought of another return for KH hadn’t crossed my mind. Given the profile of his career this would be the archetype boom or bust appointment. My gut says it would be a bust. His positive self endorsement in the sound bit he gave is enough to unnerve me.

Of cause if he turned it around he would end up with a statue next to Cloughie’s.

🙋🏻‍♂️Cause or Course?

Perhaps the issue has been with Bolton, Tranmere and Scunthorpe, Hill's heart hasn't really been in it. But then that smacks of rank unprofessionalism.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 11:46]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:43 - Aug 26 with 2567 viewssurb_dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:16 - Aug 26 by dingdangblue

It's pretty much unheard of sacking your manager 4 games into a season. How is someone going to come in and move players on - without even looking at them? Most players will be fixed up by now - certainly anyone half decent. We are stuck with these players and it's upto the new manager to get a system and get them playing.

Yeah exactly while its important we get someone in soon we really shouldnt be rushing into an appointment just because of next weeks transfer deadline. We should make sure we do the proper due diligence in trying to get the right person in. Unfortunately from a neutral perspective we arent an attractive proposition to take on at the moment so i dont envy the board in trying to sell the club. It really is a tough task.

The new gaffer should assess the current squad and try and mould a team to play to current strengths with a view to doing some shape-shifting in January with the hope we arent cut adrift at the bottom by then. If we do get someone before the deadline then maybe only realistic signing would a fullback in on loan where we are woefully short on cover.
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:44 - Aug 26 with 2538 viewsSuddenLad

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:29 - Aug 26 by NorthernDale

I would not mind if the board gave an update on the recruitment and at what stage the club is at, in terms of being able to announce the new manager. The silence is deafening and also slightly worrying, with the transfer deadline closing in days, because the present squad is not good enough for the conference, never mind league 2.

I have to agree with the sentiment that leaving McNulty in charge for Saturday is just ensuring another defeat, no matter how bad Crawley are. He will pick the same formation, possibly the same team and produce no shots on target, no creativity and concede poor goals, the McNulty clearly lacks any ability to manage or change tactics or the team.

It's a bloody good job we aren't all doom mongers like you.

The club have no need to give us a running commentary on what stage the process is at. We all know they are interviewing and selecting the most suitable candidate for the vacancy. What else do you need to know?

When the plumes of white smoke emerge from the Boardroom at Spotland, the world will know and that will be when it's a done deal. Better to take time and select the best applicant, than make a hurried appointment, by panicking and then realise it's been a poor choice.

As for the squad - there is a decent team in there, if only the players are asked to play to their strengths and not in a system that they find uncomfortable or to which they have difficulty adapting.

It's been said before that whoever comes in needs to put the best XI out there, in positions that they are familiar with, playing a style that allows them to flourish. Too much technical nonsense chokes their natural abilities, so let them do what they can do best.

We are in a 41 game season now and it starts tomorrow. It's not over by a million miles. 123 points to play for.

Let's get cracking.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:51 - Aug 26 with 2512 viewsNorthernDale

Don't get me wrong, I will be over the moon if we win and McNulty plays the right formation, I would admit that some players are playing a formation they possibly dislike.

I would admit I am a pessimist, but that is due to the poor performances and a squad that is weaker then last season, yes we have good players and it is up to them to come to the fore tomorrow. We need to win, a draw is not good enough, because if a gap opens up between us and the teams above, it can be hard to make up the points to get out of the mire.
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:53 - Aug 26 with 2490 views442Dale

Whilst we’d all agree we want the best person for the job, there’s nothing wrong with supporters being concerned that a week has passed without a manager being appointed. This concern is linked to the approaching closure of the transfer window and hoping that the plans that were presumably already in place around this scenario playing out on schedule.

Getting a new manager in between Stockdale leaving and the next home game nine days later would also have possibly seen an increase in both attendance and the mood of those present.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:57 - Aug 26 with 2491 viewsrafc1984

Askey moved to 1/5 in the betting. So that looks nailed on. Bentley out to 6s
Next manager and reasons why... on 12:02 - Aug 26 with 2465 viewswozzrafc

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:44 - Aug 26 by SuddenLad

It's a bloody good job we aren't all doom mongers like you.

The club have no need to give us a running commentary on what stage the process is at. We all know they are interviewing and selecting the most suitable candidate for the vacancy. What else do you need to know?

When the plumes of white smoke emerge from the Boardroom at Spotland, the world will know and that will be when it's a done deal. Better to take time and select the best applicant, than make a hurried appointment, by panicking and then realise it's been a poor choice.

As for the squad - there is a decent team in there, if only the players are asked to play to their strengths and not in a system that they find uncomfortable or to which they have difficulty adapting.

It's been said before that whoever comes in needs to put the best XI out there, in positions that they are familiar with, playing a style that allows them to flourish. Too much technical nonsense chokes their natural abilities, so let them do what they can do best.

We are in a 41 game season now and it starts tomorrow. It's not over by a million miles. 123 points to play for.

Let's get cracking.

Absolutely spot on this post.

If we are to ensure we don’t get dragged down then as a whole the club, fans , team need to get behind the new manager and squad and all push in the same direction.

Ok we haven’t competed in every game this season but we have shown in the games against Burton and Grimsby at home that for large parts of a game we can play well. Hopefully a new manager will be able to get the most out of the players to get that level of consistency in all our performances.

However, If this continued talk of doom and gloom continues it could become a self fulfilling prophecy!!

What this club needs is some positive momentum and it is going to be up to everyone to try and help provide this.
Next manager and reasons why... on 12:34 - Aug 26 with 2291 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:57 - Aug 26 by rafc1984

I hope that's indicative of progress and not somebody who's not heard the latest beat of the jungle drums and stuck £10 on!
Next manager and reasons why... on 12:54 - Aug 26 with 2178 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:02 - Aug 26 by wozzrafc

Absolutely spot on this post.

If we are to ensure we don’t get dragged down then as a whole the club, fans , team need to get behind the new manager and squad and all push in the same direction.

Ok we haven’t competed in every game this season but we have shown in the games against Burton and Grimsby at home that for large parts of a game we can play well. Hopefully a new manager will be able to get the most out of the players to get that level of consistency in all our performances.

However, If this continued talk of doom and gloom continues it could become a self fulfilling prophecy!!

What this club needs is some positive momentum and it is going to be up to everyone to try and help provide this.

I don't mean to be doom and gloom, but that positive momentum is only going to happen when we have a new manager in place and some points are on the board. There needs to be a catalyst.

Once there is something positive, I think (hope!) the mood will change quickly.
Next manager and reasons why... on 13:00 - Aug 26 with 2155 viewsDaleiLama

I'm getting a bit fed up of hearing "we aren't exactly an exciting proposition are we?"

We're a well run club, with a much bigger board possessing a lot more experience of life, business, leisure etc in the boardroom. We are fan owned, we aren't about to go pop after a rich benefactor has loaded us with debt and fecked off down the road and we have a very loyal fanbase with a good away following. We have excellent values on and off the field (sometimes too "fairplay" on it) and we are a club to be proud of in almost every way other than home crowds, which is mostly not the club's fault, but which I'm sure when MH have backed down or been told to back down, will be addressed in the future.

OK, the playing budget is never likely to resemble Smaug's hoard in this millennium but just as with young players, we may be seen as a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things for managers too. Admittedly the two previous managers didn't last too long, but there are very good reasons both were let go which can easily be discussed in an interview and indeed, it gives an excellent opportunity to show what the club and fans don't want. Dull, uninspired, coaching-by-the-book, playing-not-to-lose snoozeball.

No one but the most deluded has aspirations of PL football, but this is not a club without ambition either. Frankly, if we are seen or perceived as not wanting progression or not being capable of it, then trot on. You're not the right man or woman for us anyway.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:02 - Aug 26 with 2133 viewselectricblue

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:57 - Aug 26 by rafc1984

Bookies trying to mug people out of their hard earned dosh.......

If it is to be Askey then he might be loyal to York City for this saturdays match and then leave for the Dale sunday or Monday..

Who knows....

But i will say no ro Hill coming back..
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 13:07]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:07 - Aug 26 with 2091 viewsIOMDale

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:02 - Aug 26 by electricblue

Bookies trying to mug people out of their hard earned dosh.......

If it is to be Askey then he might be loyal to York City for this saturdays match and then leave for the Dale sunday or Monday..

Who knows....

But i will say no ro Hill coming back..
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 13:07]

1/5 is hardly an enticing prospect.

UTDNFS

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:22 - Aug 26 with 2019 viewselectricblue

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:07 - Aug 26 by IOMDale

1/5 is hardly an enticing prospect.

That is why the rest start at 16/1, 16/1,25/1,25/1.
Somebody might strike it lucky with the big odds..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:24 - Aug 26 with 2004 viewsrafc1984

Next manager and reasons why... on 12:34 - Aug 26 by Brierls

I hope that's indicative of progress and not somebody who's not heard the latest beat of the jungle drums and stuck £10 on!

I can't imagine so at this stage, a week ago quite possibly but hey what do I know.
Next manager and reasons why... on 13:42 - Aug 26 with 1907 viewsIOMDale

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:22 - Aug 26 by electricblue

That is why the rest start at 16/1, 16/1,25/1,25/1.
Somebody might strike it lucky with the big odds..

True, though I’d tend to err towards somebody knowing something, the odds for Askey being as low as they are. You tend to get 4/6 and the like after a couple of £20 wagers.

UTDNFS

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:48 - Aug 26 with 1880 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:42 - Aug 26 by IOMDale

True, though I’d tend to err towards somebody knowing something, the odds for Askey being as low as they are. You tend to get 4/6 and the like after a couple of £20 wagers.

Perhaps he has been spotted in a petrol station in Rochdale or supping a pint in one of the many fine hostelries in the area.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 1707 viewsdingdangblue

I remember Ian Evatt being 1/5 to take over at Dale previously and that didn't happen.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Next manager and reasons why... on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 1715 viewsrkershaw

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:48 - Aug 26 by James1980

Perhaps he has been spotted in a petrol station in Rochdale or supping a pint in one of the many fine hostelries in the area.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1142405830?-1906:1007
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024