Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Review of Saints Game 18:17 - Dec 23 with 9272 viewsnumptydumpty

We are such a frustrating team

At least we are better organised defensively under Cifuentes

But up top there is limited creativity and zero end product.

Have to say I have seen enough of both Dykes and Armstrong now also.

Kelman was never going to be good enough anyhow.

Dykes has no predatory instincts and is the opposite of clinical

Armstrong lacks control, is a bulldozer and would cause havoc in league two with Kelman a bench player at league two level.

I would if I was Marty and money is possible then get in two strikers from Scandinavian leagues and have Kohli on bench. Why not ??

We need to somehow move Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman on. Clearly we cannot do this unless we have anything coming in but if we can all three of Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman they have no impact.

Maybe Armstrong should be a league.one loan but Dykes and Kelman have to go.

Admittedly Chair holds onto the ball so often but there are almost never any viable options to cross too.

The new manager bounce is over.

But our bench is so limited

Even then after five subs all attacking options Taylor Richards did not come on. I don't know if anyone noticed but whilst all the others were involved in group training warm up, keep ball and shooting routines, Richards was doing keepy uppy's in the centre circle. Did manage about fifty in sequence so fair play - aye !!!

Why did I ever begin to support this football team , I sometimes wish otherwise. Saddled for life...

Cmon you rrr s
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 18:18]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Review of Saints Game on 04:33 - Dec 24 with 1900 viewsThe_Beast1976

Review of Saints Game on 21:20 - Dec 23 by ManinBlack

When I watch us it feels like we are a lower league team playing a cup tie in half of our fixtures as the opposition seems to have Premier league players. Their squads are better so they can bring on expensive players while we bring on a 37 year old has been past his sell by date. The Premiership rewards failure rather like Avanti shareholders get rewarded for cancelling half their services every week. In doing so it has turned the Championship into Premier League two squeezing out the competition with skint clubs scrabbling to avoid league 1.

We can't score because we can't afford a semi decent striker as the best there is will go to the clubs who can pay them handsomely. It now seems if we ever beat teams like Southampton, Burnley, Leicester etc like a giant killing as it's not a level playing field thanks to the big money.

QPR, while they are poor financially, can only compete in leagues 1 and 2 or in non keague where money is not such an issue. Rotherham are proof of it where they do well in league 1 but in Premier league 2 they are a fish out of water with no dosh to speak of.

Agree with all of this. How long before the Premiershit officially takes control of it and calls it Premiershit 2? Fcuk off you cants. The fcuk off some more. Wrecked 2 divisions of football now
Review of Saints Game on 08:41 - Dec 24 with 1728 viewsGaryBannister86

I'm bored of defending Dykes because obviously he is no Les Ferdinand but he is so far ahead of everything else we have it just isn't true. Love Marti but taking him off was the end of our chances yesterday. Contrast our performance up to the moment he was taken off, to after.

He played well yesterday, the cross for him was out of reach (apparently now every cross into the box he doesn't connect to he "is on his heels", what a load of tosh), on one occasion he got free of his marker second half and Chair just took one trick too many before crossing. As said above, it was a joke that literally the second he went off a great ball at his height was put in, for the first time in the game. Then two more about a minute later.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Mart tries a team without Dykes, Armstrong or Kelman or Kolli. Perhaps with Smyth, Chair, Willock or Dunne up front.

I reserve my criticism for the friendly ghost Dozzell, who's only contributions of note were being too slow and conceding the fatal free kick, and a pathetic attempt at a decent chance which ballooned over the bar.

Other than that, I thought we did fine yesterday. We are improving, but we can't just keep doing fine and improving - we need points or it is going to be too late.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 8:57]
Review of Saints Game on 08:49 - Dec 24 with 1698 viewstraininvain

Review of Saints Game on 00:17 - Dec 24 by benhurst

Dunne on a lower score than JCS is very harsh, thought he was excellent and looked a completely different player to the last couple of weeks
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 0:17]

Dunne was much improved but still gifted Saints a golden opportunity at the end which should’ve been 2-0. And that’s the problem with Dunne, he always makes at least one big mistake every game which is a major problem for a defender.
Review of Saints Game on 09:08 - Dec 24 with 1651 viewsRangers67

Nope
Review of Saints Game on 09:10 - Dec 24 with 1648 viewsQPR_Jim

Review of Saints Game on 08:41 - Dec 24 by GaryBannister86

I'm bored of defending Dykes because obviously he is no Les Ferdinand but he is so far ahead of everything else we have it just isn't true. Love Marti but taking him off was the end of our chances yesterday. Contrast our performance up to the moment he was taken off, to after.

He played well yesterday, the cross for him was out of reach (apparently now every cross into the box he doesn't connect to he "is on his heels", what a load of tosh), on one occasion he got free of his marker second half and Chair just took one trick too many before crossing. As said above, it was a joke that literally the second he went off a great ball at his height was put in, for the first time in the game. Then two more about a minute later.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Mart tries a team without Dykes, Armstrong or Kelman or Kolli. Perhaps with Smyth, Chair, Willock or Dunne up front.

I reserve my criticism for the friendly ghost Dozzell, who's only contributions of note were being too slow and conceding the fatal free kick, and a pathetic attempt at a decent chance which ballooned over the bar.

Other than that, I thought we did fine yesterday. We are improving, but we can't just keep doing fine and improving - we need points or it is going to be too late.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 8:57]

I thought Dozzell played quite well. The foul looked to me like the Southampton player won the ball by going in studs first to get something on it while Dozzell was about to kick the ball which should have been our free kick for the raised studs. The shot wasn't great but it should be acknowledged that he took it on the volley to get the shot off, so not an easy chance. Other than that I thought his link up play was good and he was part of a solid midfield.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 9:11]
Review of Saints Game on 09:16 - Dec 24 with 1631 viewsdmm

I think I've got a more rosy view of the game than most and feel a draw would have been fair. We had some excellent passages of play in both halves and for much of the game kept Soton at bay.

But, we continue to have real issues up front. I wonder if Chair and Willock lack trust in Dykes and will do their own thing rather than look for him in the box. That's understandable to a degree but ultimately unhelpful.

Illy and Willy's propensity to cut in and shoot is now very well known and teams put two or three on them to mitigate this. Our two best players are too often nullified.

We need something different in attack. If that's not an incoming striker, then Cifuentes will need to find new strategies to score.

Nonetheless, I remain optimistic we'll escape the drop.
Review of Saints Game on 09:20 - Dec 24 with 1617 viewsQPROslo

Review of Saints Game on 09:10 - Dec 24 by QPR_Jim

I thought Dozzell played quite well. The foul looked to me like the Southampton player won the ball by going in studs first to get something on it while Dozzell was about to kick the ball which should have been our free kick for the raised studs. The shot wasn't great but it should be acknowledged that he took it on the volley to get the shot off, so not an easy chance. Other than that I thought his link up play was good and he was part of a solid midfield.

That's how I saw that free kick too, not seen it again though. I thought we'd scored when Dozzell hit that shot that was heading for the empty top corner of the net, but a defender got his head to it.
Review of Saints Game on 09:20 - Dec 24 with 1616 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Simply put: Dykes, Kelmen and Armstrong are pony! The weakest set of forwards in our history and I'd bin all three as soon as I could. They offer so little threat that they're almost counterproductive

As for Dozzell, what a gormless non-entity he is. If he looked up on a rainy day, I reckon he'd drown.

But despite the loss, hands down a better performance than what I've seen for some time. What a shame MC has inherited such as a poor squad with a deeply ingrained loser mentality; really hope he can get some proper players through the door in January.

As I say, not the worst display I've seen in the last few years by any stretch of the imagination. The result however, is one rooted in the mismanagement of QPR which manifests itself in too many poor players.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Review of Saints Game on 09:42 - Dec 24 with 1559 viewsLblock

Review of Saints Game on 09:20 - Dec 24 by PlanetHonneywood

Simply put: Dykes, Kelmen and Armstrong are pony! The weakest set of forwards in our history and I'd bin all three as soon as I could. They offer so little threat that they're almost counterproductive

As for Dozzell, what a gormless non-entity he is. If he looked up on a rainy day, I reckon he'd drown.

But despite the loss, hands down a better performance than what I've seen for some time. What a shame MC has inherited such as a poor squad with a deeply ingrained loser mentality; really hope he can get some proper players through the door in January.

As I say, not the worst display I've seen in the last few years by any stretch of the imagination. The result however, is one rooted in the mismanagement of QPR which manifests itself in too many poor players.

Agreed 100%

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Review of Saints Game on 09:54 - Dec 24 with 1528 viewshorshamHoop

Not been for a bit and took my son who like me thought that was the best he had seen us play for some time, organised, well drilled game plan, excellent press, comfortable (confident even) on the ball and against a good ball playing side who were aggressive and very physical (5 yellows to our undeserved 1).

He said the biggest issue, apart from goals, is lack of depth in the squad as many of those players were very tired by the end as the demands of the press are exhausting.

With so many games in a week it is is vital that there is rotation even if costly in results as the biggest concern to avoid relegation is preventing key players getting injured because of too many minutes on the pitch.

And then strengthen in Jan and we will be fine.

Merry Christmas.....
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 10:01]
Review of Saints Game on 10:01 - Dec 24 with 1504 viewsBlue_Castello

Review of Saints Game on 23:50 - Dec 23 by Antti_Heinola

Twice?
Four superb balls flashed across that box after the break, plus at least one in the first half. The great ‘Dykes needs early balls’ myth looks less true every week. He’s never anywhere near any ball in the box.
Bit baffled by the willock comments on here. Thought he had a good game, won more of the ball than I’ve ever seen him do, and thought he’s looking more and more like his old self. He’ll be out for a while now though, sadly.

Agreed Willock had a good game, he worked harder than I have seen for a long time, he was always available as the out ball on the right hand side and still has the ability to control and keep the ball without looking like he needs to offload as soon as possible. The second half he was doing the smart thing and staying up top providing an out ball for the keeper and defence, it was a real blow when he got injured it took away genuine threat and one quality player less for Soton to worry about.

Chair had another good game, he was our heartbeat in the team always trying to create, when walking away from the ground I said yet again we would be clueless without him, whereas with him we gave Southampton problems and probably deserved a point from the game.

As Clive pointed out in his preview it's not yesterday's game that we should be upset about even though we gave a better team a very good game, it still feels annoying that we gave away three points at Wednesday and couldn't beat 10 man Ply muff, they could well come back to haunt us.

Somehow though Marti has given me belief that we can beat the drop, he's got us playing better football, the players have responded well, it's still going to be tough and if we can't strengthen in January then we need the prayer mats out to hope key players don't get injured.

PS.....I do wonder if Steve Cook had played yesterday would we have defended the free kick better, small margins, that goal won the game, whatever people think of Manning he is quality coming forward and is superb with the dead ball delivery....
Review of Saints Game on 10:07 - Dec 24 with 1473 viewsdaveB

Review of Saints Game on 19:38 - Dec 23 by colinallcars

They didn't announce the subs at the start of the game. I saw the subs warming up but no Taylor Richards. It's only when I saw the subs on the offish after the game that I realised he was on the bench.
We've got to offload this merchant ASAP.

He warmed up several times, I know he's not been very good but seems harsh to have a pop at someone who didn't come on
Review of Saints Game on 10:10 - Dec 24 with 1458 viewsdaveB

We desperately need a 2021 version of Stefan Johansen and Charlie Austin in January

Overall I thought we played well yesterday, poor from Dozzell giving away a free kick they scored from but apart from thaty he had a decent game, thought we deserved a draw
Review of Saints Game on 10:13 - Dec 24 with 1448 viewsLisbonR

My girlfriend and I are back from Lisbon for Christmas and I decided to go to yesterday's game with her. It's only her second game (the first was a 0-0 with Blackpool last season). For someone that doesn't follow football, and observes me on most weekends shouting at the match day commentary from my dining room table, she really enjoyed it and told me at the end that she's now a QPR fan. She even insisted that we visited the club shop at the end of the match to sign the deal by purchasing a scarf.

Her opinion was that the game was exciting, she loved the 'singing', and she thought that we were unlucky not to draw the match. She wants to come back and watch again in February. To be honest, I actually thought the same. We played well and deserved more. We have our limits, but we're certainly not one of the worst three teams in this division, and with a little strengthening in January (if we can manage that around FFP), then I think we'll be just fine.

To have converted my girlfriend after a loss is a good sign. Merry Christmas everyone!
Review of Saints Game on 10:44 - Dec 24 with 1389 viewsR_from_afar

Review of Saints Game on 21:20 - Dec 23 by ManinBlack

When I watch us it feels like we are a lower league team playing a cup tie in half of our fixtures as the opposition seems to have Premier league players. Their squads are better so they can bring on expensive players while we bring on a 37 year old has been past his sell by date. The Premiership rewards failure rather like Avanti shareholders get rewarded for cancelling half their services every week. In doing so it has turned the Championship into Premier League two squeezing out the competition with skint clubs scrabbling to avoid league 1.

We can't score because we can't afford a semi decent striker as the best there is will go to the clubs who can pay them handsomely. It now seems if we ever beat teams like Southampton, Burnley, Leicester etc like a giant killing as it's not a level playing field thanks to the big money.

QPR, while they are poor financially, can only compete in leagues 1 and 2 or in non keague where money is not such an issue. Rotherham are proof of it where they do well in league 1 but in Premier league 2 they are a fish out of water with no dosh to speak of.

"We can't score because we can't afford a semi decent striker".

Plus we have not managed to develop one of our own for quite some time, sigh 😔

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Review of Saints Game on 11:37 - Dec 24 with 1255 viewscharmr

Creative midfielder who see things early, can pick a pass and be clever enough to help us get out of playing out the back. Also help create overloads out wide.

Their 17 ran the show along with 4 and 7. Smart players.
Review of Saints Game on 11:54 - Dec 24 with 1217 viewsAndybrat

Review of Saints Game on 09:10 - Dec 24 by QPR_Jim

Agree it was a real 50/50, also ( and I was right behind it) he had a goalbound shot after the goal that the Southampton defender somehow managed to get his head to. He scores that and all the criticism goes away, mind you he still plays too many safe balls for someone with such a good left foot. I actually suspect that is all about our reaction when it goes wrong. Said in an earlier thread I went with a Spurs fan / friend and he felt we at least deserved a draw, he thought Chair was the best player on the pitch in the 1st half. He did admit last 3rd of the pitch is an obvious weakness and would have kept Dykes on. Guys keep the faith we lost 1-0 to a team who will no doubt be in the payoffs. My mate loved the atmosphere and the closeness to the pitch
Review of Saints Game on 12:30 - Dec 24 with 1146 viewsWatfordR

Review of Saints Game on 09:54 - Dec 24 by horshamHoop

Not been for a bit and took my son who like me thought that was the best he had seen us play for some time, organised, well drilled game plan, excellent press, comfortable (confident even) on the ball and against a good ball playing side who were aggressive and very physical (5 yellows to our undeserved 1).

He said the biggest issue, apart from goals, is lack of depth in the squad as many of those players were very tired by the end as the demands of the press are exhausting.

With so many games in a week it is is vital that there is rotation even if costly in results as the biggest concern to avoid relegation is preventing key players getting injured because of too many minutes on the pitch.

And then strengthen in Jan and we will be fine.

Merry Christmas.....
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 10:01]

I'd say I agree pretty much with you and your son. This was a Southampton team with many years in the Prem behind them, and I thought we made them work really hard for their win, and would have been pretty good value for a draw.

Of the subs, Larkeche, Smyth and Armstrong give us something, but the rest weakened us bit by bit.

The big difference for me between the two sides was the pace Southampton had everywhere. We are playing the right way, but Southampton have the experience of many years playing that way and it showed. For all the weaknesses Dykes has, he went off and we were worse off for it.

Overall, I have to say I enjoyed our performance yesterday.
Review of Saints Game on 12:47 - Dec 24 with 1102 viewsbaz_qpr

Sorry, I don't get the Dykes defence for yesterday, poor holding the ball up, dreadful anticipation his movement in the box was awful, there were about 3 or 4 absolute pearlers played into the middle of the edge of the 6 yard box, nowhere to be seen for any of them.

Armstrong desperately needs a Les Ferdinand loan, he scores for fun at development level (I also think he would be far more effective as a wide forward Mbappe style ) Out of all the players we have at the club he is the potential meal ticket if we can get him scoring.

Dozzell drove me nuts yesterday too often, far too often he chose the safest backward pass. He's supposed to be the 8 playmaker and he is not stepping into that role. Yes better than last year, but this is coming from a low base.

Totally agree with Dave B on this, this team needs at least 2 forwards and a Johanson/Faurlin/Barry Bannon type playmaker
Review of Saints Game on 12:47 - Dec 24 with 1102 viewsNorthernr

The problem with Dozzell yesterday apart from the free kick was he kept passing it backwards. We worked it into him and he just passed it straight back from where it came. This system and style under this manager will not work unless midfielders are brave enough and good enough to take the ball on the turn and play it forwards. He was neither yesterday.
Review of Saints Game on 13:12 - Dec 24 with 1042 viewsParkRoyalR

Review of Saints Game on 12:47 - Dec 24 by Northernr

The problem with Dozzell yesterday apart from the free kick was he kept passing it backwards. We worked it into him and he just passed it straight back from where it came. This system and style under this manager will not work unless midfielders are brave enough and good enough to take the ball on the turn and play it forwards. He was neither yesterday.

I cannot understand why Cifuentes would not try Chair in this role.

Chair has better ball control, a better range of passing, can play on the half-term and is quicker into the tackle than Dozzell, has courage when on the ball and most importantly can run with the ball.

Larkeche (or Smyth) can replace Chair in the attacking 3 and this gets our best 11 on the park, hopefully for longer than 2/3rds of the game, as bringing off key players with a third of the game left is madness, especially to bring on the likes of Kelman (and Armstrong as a lone striker).
Review of Saints Game on 13:35 - Dec 24 with 1013 viewsQPRConor2000

I agree with everyone else in this thread, didnt play badly yesterday but Southampton showed their edge in the end.

Surely its time we tried Chair in a false 9, im sure hes played there before, but obviously we would lose that creative threat in the midfield.

We badly need a striker in January.
Review of Saints Game on 13:37 - Dec 24 with 1004 viewsNorthernr

Review of Saints Game on 13:12 - Dec 24 by ParkRoyalR

I cannot understand why Cifuentes would not try Chair in this role.

Chair has better ball control, a better range of passing, can play on the half-term and is quicker into the tackle than Dozzell, has courage when on the ball and most importantly can run with the ball.

Larkeche (or Smyth) can replace Chair in the attacking 3 and this gets our best 11 on the park, hopefully for longer than 2/3rds of the game, as bringing off key players with a third of the game left is madness, especially to bring on the likes of Kelman (and Armstrong as a lone striker).

I guess the counter argument to that is Chair carries almost all of what limited goal threat we have, so you don't want him 80 yards away from the goal.
Review of Saints Game on 13:56 - Dec 24 with 943 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Review of Saints Game on 12:47 - Dec 24 by Northernr

I really don't understand why our central midfielders continually play facing our own goal. A basic is to open your body to give yourself options.
The only midfielder we've had in the past few years who could do it was Johansen.

I can only assume confidence is so shot that players are scared to take risks, something MC seems to want the team to do.
Review of Saints Game on 14:01 - Dec 24 with 931 viewsSuperhoops2808

Review of Saints Game on 10:13 - Dec 24 by LisbonR

My girlfriend and I are back from Lisbon for Christmas and I decided to go to yesterday's game with her. It's only her second game (the first was a 0-0 with Blackpool last season). For someone that doesn't follow football, and observes me on most weekends shouting at the match day commentary from my dining room table, she really enjoyed it and told me at the end that she's now a QPR fan. She even insisted that we visited the club shop at the end of the match to sign the deal by purchasing a scarf.

Her opinion was that the game was exciting, she loved the 'singing', and she thought that we were unlucky not to draw the match. She wants to come back and watch again in February. To be honest, I actually thought the same. We played well and deserved more. We have our limits, but we're certainly not one of the worst three teams in this division, and with a little strengthening in January (if we can manage that around FFP), then I think we'll be just fine.

To have converted my girlfriend after a loss is a good sign. Merry Christmas everyone!

Welcome your girlfriend to the madhouse.

Hopefully she wont also become converted by some of the doom & gloom merchants here

Merry Christmas to you both
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024