Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January Transfer Window Rumours 10:51 - Dec 30 with 142812 viewsnumptydumpty

What we have got.
What we need.
And what we can afford.

My personal view.

No one to sell currently.

Our saleable assets are at their lowest valuations currently given recent form.

Others will know contract situations and wages. Etc.

I understand there is zero money to spend.

Am personally expecting three or four loanees, at least one striker, one full back, and one centre midfielder in Johansen style. No signings though.

Bonne, Thomas, Nico and possibly Roberts - I would try to loan back, loan elsewhere or sell.

Shodipo I think if someone on a par or better is available likely attempt be loaned out.

It's though a notoriously quiet window so could perhaps only be two or three deals done and if we can't get certain players off our books , be it temporarily or permanently, I feel sadly the replacements will not be incoming !!

The comments well we need two strikers that can put ball in back of the net !! Pure genius insight !!

Money talks. Hopefully Critchley has his own contacts and we shall see...

Crikey - apologies for crappy post - happy new year Rangers joys and girls !!!

[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 11:02]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

January Transfer Window Rumours on 18:37 - Jan 4 with 7412 viewsNorthernr

January Transfer Window Rumours on 14:41 - Jan 4 by kensalriser

Bizarre situation for a player who's clearly very good at this level.

Well, if he's that bothered, and he might not be, then he needs to start making moves to places where he's going to play some football, as opposed to moves motivated completely by money.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 19:08 - Jan 4 with 7230 viewsLazyFan

January Transfer Window Rumours on 13:37 - Jan 4 by Northernr

That'll be a loan fee, and wages, and none of it will be cheap - the whole Championship would have him in a heartbeat. As said above, this time last year Boro took Balogun on loan from Arsenal and there was a lot of apprehension about what they would do with him and Chris Wilder through the second half of the season - they agreed to pay all his Arsenal wage, and a loan fee, which amounted to more than £4m for a loan signing for five months. Balogun scored three times in 21 appearances and they missed the play-offs completely. West Brom spent £8m on Dike at the same time to get them in the six, they too missed out and Dike played twice.

Balogun loan was a disgrace.

But to be fair to WBA they bought Dike to challenge and he got injured. He's just returned now and has started to score. WBA have only lost once since his return and he was on the sub's bench at the time.

Good player, but £8m is what they cost now

zzzzzzzzzz

January Transfer Window Rumours on 19:19 - Jan 4 with 7109 viewsstevec

What sort of fee would Peterboro Clarke-Harris go for?

You’d think it would be in the range Dykes might be valued perhaps?

Reckon he’s the type that might snap up any loose balls in the box and seems to be improving with age.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 19:28 - Jan 4 with 7102 viewsnix

January Transfer Window Rumours on 19:08 - Jan 4 by LazyFan

Balogun loan was a disgrace.

But to be fair to WBA they bought Dike to challenge and he got injured. He's just returned now and has started to score. WBA have only lost once since his return and he was on the sub's bench at the time.

Good player, but £8m is what they cost now

Plus big, big wages I'm guessing. Can't see him coming all this way for peanuts.

The Balogun loan . £4 million for what we paid for both Dykes and Bonne. And Dykes has been a constant in our team for his whole time with us.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 22:11 - Jan 4 with 6577 viewsLblock

January Transfer Window Rumours on 19:28 - Jan 4 by nix

Plus big, big wages I'm guessing. Can't see him coming all this way for peanuts.

The Balogun loan . £4 million for what we paid for both Dykes and Bonne. And Dykes has been a constant in our team for his whole time with us.

A constant what though??

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

January Transfer Window Rumours on 23:16 - Jan 4 with 6340 viewsnix

January Transfer Window Rumours on 22:11 - Jan 4 by Lblock

A constant what though??

Cut and paste as appropriate LBlock.

I think my answer's probably different to a lot of other people's but that's fine.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 00:10 - Jan 5 with 6197 viewsLblock

January Transfer Window Rumours on 23:16 - Jan 4 by nix

Cut and paste as appropriate LBlock.

I think my answer's probably different to a lot of other people's but that's fine.

I still think that £4mill could’ve been far wisely invested

The transfer policy at this club has been wrong for years - a decade or more.
When your finances are tight I think it’s madness to take chances on players with previous well documented injury histories. I call this the “ Kieron Dyer Policy” and I think my argument sees no more justification than what it says on the tin.
If you need a player in position X then research who could fill that in your wage bracket and (hopefully) fill that berth for 40 odd game’s meaning you can have a lean squad. Maybe, just maybe, that means better, fitter and higher calibre players can be afforded as less are giving you more.
The character of players is a huge thing for me and I’d want to delve into the mind of people I’m going to sign, know about them off the field and judge if they align to my club values and add harmony to the dressing room rather than Barton type gits.
Then of course the fancy modern day frilly stuff of analytics can be added in for good measure.

Above all these signings are club based; not the oft cited here “Manager wants, manager gets” bull we always seem to revert to.

There’s clubs at our level that have built half their not too bad squads for that £4mill figure and clearly they know what they’re doing as they have consistently occupied higher table positions than us.

One of the reasons I’m drifting away from the club is this constant failure to get this key thing right. When are serious questions going to be asked of the decision makers here?
Instead we have fans saying Bonne hasn’t had a decent chance, Dykes don’t get the service, we have to take a risk on buying a battered wreck and hoping it polishes up into a Mk I Cortina we can use then sell for more. I just don’t get it.

That’s all before this mythical “youth pathway” gets discussed and the non existent conveyor belt of young talent coming through.

Do I trust us to add the right players this January or coming summer alongside releasing what we need and, most importantly, selling for the right price or renewing what we need?
Not on your nelly

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

January Transfer Window Rumours on 09:07 - Jan 5 with 5870 viewsnix

January Transfer Window Rumours on 00:10 - Jan 5 by Lblock

When your finances are tight I think it’s madness to take chances on players with previous well documented injury histories. I call this the “ Kieron Dyer Policy” and I think my argument sees no more justification than what it says on the tin.
If you need a player in position X then research who could fill that in your wage bracket and (hopefully) fill that berth for 40 odd game’s meaning you can have a lean squad. Maybe, just maybe, that means better, fitter and higher calibre players can be afforded as less are giving you more.
The character of players is a huge thing for me and I’d want to delve into the mind of people I’m going to sign, know about them off the field and judge if they align to my club values and add harmony to the dressing room rather than Barton type gits.
Then of course the fancy modern day frilly stuff of analytics can be added in for good measure.

Above all these signings are club based; not the oft cited here “Manager wants, manager gets” bull we always seem to revert to.

There’s clubs at our level that have built half their not too bad squads for that £4mill figure and clearly they know what they’re doing as they have consistently occupied higher table positions than us.

One of the reasons I’m drifting away from the club is this constant failure to get this key thing right. When are serious questions going to be asked of the decision makers here?
Instead we have fans saying Bonne hasn’t had a decent chance, Dykes don’t get the service, we have to take a risk on buying a battered wreck and hoping it polishes up into a Mk I Cortina we can use then sell for more. I just don’t get it.

That’s all before this mythical “youth pathway” gets discussed and the non existent conveyor belt of young talent coming through.

Do I trust us to add the right players this January or coming summer alongside releasing what we need and, most importantly, selling for the right price or renewing what we need?
Not on your nelly

For every club that's spent wisely there's a WBA (Karlan Grant - £16.5m three goals in 20 matches, Lyndon Dykes -£2m, 6 in 25 + a lot more contribution to the team) that's spent an awful lot more than that on dross.

I just don't see the point of constantly slagging off the club when they've turned things round hugely since the bad old days when we really did spend huge amounts on dross. We've learnt from our mistakes and we're largely getting the right sort in. We've improved on the kind of players coming to the club, no offence to him but instead of Jake Bidwell for £18k a week (or going back further effing Assou Ekottu) we've got Kenneth Paal for a lot less than that. You're also ignoring Eze. When was the previous time we brought someone in and they actually went for decent money under previous regimes.

We've gambled on the fitness of players, yes, but we got Field because of this policy and I think even you would think that's been worth the money. He's at least doubled what we paid for him.

You talk about unearthing players as if it's some exact science. If it were then why the hell did the Scum end up with Timo Werner. I also think we struggle from other clubs peering over our shoulder and nabbing our targets at the last minute - Keiffer Moore, for instance or Scott Hogan.

I actually do think Dykes hasn't got the right service and if you can't see what else he contributes to the team than I don't know what to say to you.

I'm not sure if you're this angry about everything but it really seems a bit of a waste of energy to only look at what the club is doing wrong and completely failing to see any of the positives, ever.
Login to get fewer ads

January Transfer Window Rumours on 12:56 - Jan 5 with 5439 viewsaston_hoop

Little bit on the window here

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

January Transfer Window Rumours on 13:15 - Jan 5 with 5335 viewsflynnbo

January Transfer Window Rumours on 12:56 - Jan 5 by aston_hoop

Little bit on the window here

Fascinating insight. Thanks for posting.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 13:29 - Jan 5 with 5220 viewshertshoops

Great interview, fella certainly seems organised, glad we've got him
January Transfer Window Rumours on 15:55 - Jan 5 with 4919 viewsdm97

Most championship clubs don’t recruit that well ESP up front - see Clive’s Balogun comment and add Forss, fletcher, assombalonga, upkeazu (big fella) and so on. Luton, Brentford, Cov the absolute exceptions and at least two of them will probs be in prem sooner not later. We are the norm not an exceptionally bad case.

None of this is great, but some on here suggesting recruitment and LF/LH are aberrations in this league need some perspective and check the (well meaning, understandable and not entirely wrong) bias.

Our recruitment is average, we historically get some areas (creative 10s, CBs, GK) quite right and others (ST, Full Backs, goal scoring CMs) quite wrong. We’re middle of the road lads
January Transfer Window Rumours on 16:18 - Jan 5 with 4781 viewsYokelR

January Transfer Window Rumours on 00:10 - Jan 5 by Lblock

Not on your nelly

This 100%
January Transfer Window Rumours on 16:26 - Jan 5 with 4721 viewsed_83

Because I'm trying to avoid doing a particularly boring piece of work, and because people seem to have wildly differing views of whether our approach to the transfer market is any good or not, I went through every signing we've made since Warburton was appointed to try and get a sense of how regularly we're hitting the mark with our recruitment.

The question I asked myself was "has this player delivered against what they were signed to do?" which is obviously massively subjective. The "maybe" category is also doing a lot of work: players who haven't had enough game time to form a full judgement or who are still developing and might yet come good, players who've been good but inconsistent / injured, or who otherwise fall somewhere between success and failure.

Anyway, here's where I ended up:

Jake Clarke-Salter - Maybe
Kenneth Paal - Yes
Leon Balogun - Maybe
Taylor Richards - Maybe
Tim Iroegbunam - Yes
Tyler Roberts - No
Ethan Laird - Yes
Elijah Dixon-Bonner - Maybe

Andre Dozzell - Maybe
Jordan Archer - Yes
Moses Odubajo - Yes
Jimmy Dunne - Yes
Dion Sanderson - No
David Marshall - Yes
Andre Gray - Yes
Jeff Hendrick - No
Sam McCallum - Maybe
Keiren Westwood - Yes

Rob Dickie - Yes
Lyndon Dykes - Yes
Macauley Bonne - No
George Thomas - No
Albert Adomah - Yes
Charlie Kelman - Maybe
Chris Willock - Yes
Sam Field - Yes
Joe Walsh - Maybe
Stefan Johansen - Yes
Jordy de Wijs - Maybe
Charlie Austin - Maybe

Liam Kelly - No
Marc Pugh - Maybe
Geoff Cameron - Yes
Yoann Barbet - Yes
Todd Kane - Maybe
Dominic Ball - Yes
Conor Masterson - Maybe
Lee Wallace - Maybe
Luke Amos - Maybe
Matt Smith (midfielder) - No
Nahki Wells - Yes
Jordan Hugill - Yes
Jan Mlakar - No
Dillon Barnes - No
Jack Clarke - No

Yes = 21
Maybe = 14
No = 11

I'm sure everyone will disagree with at least some of these, and it doesn't deal with the question of selling players for profit (for example: is Jordy de Wijs more or less of a success or failure, given the best case scenario with him is that we made our money back?) but for me it suggests that our recruitment has been pretty decent, by and large, over the last few years.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 16:31 - Jan 5 with 4679 viewsdmm

Lyndon Dykes - yes. I don't disagree but I hope you've got your tin hat on ed
January Transfer Window Rumours on 16:45 - Jan 5 with 4608 viewsdanehoop

January Transfer Window Rumours on 16:26 - Jan 5 by ed_83

Because I'm trying to avoid doing a particularly boring piece of work, and because people seem to have wildly differing views of whether our approach to the transfer market is any good or not, I went through every signing we've made since Warburton was appointed to try and get a sense of how regularly we're hitting the mark with our recruitment.

The question I asked myself was "has this player delivered against what they were signed to do?" which is obviously massively subjective. The "maybe" category is also doing a lot of work: players who haven't had enough game time to form a full judgement or who are still developing and might yet come good, players who've been good but inconsistent / injured, or who otherwise fall somewhere between success and failure.

Anyway, here's where I ended up:

Jake Clarke-Salter - Maybe
Kenneth Paal - Yes
Leon Balogun - Maybe
Taylor Richards - Maybe
Tim Iroegbunam - Yes
Tyler Roberts - No
Ethan Laird - Yes
Elijah Dixon-Bonner - Maybe

Andre Dozzell - Maybe
Jordan Archer - Yes
Moses Odubajo - Yes
Jimmy Dunne - Yes
Dion Sanderson - No
David Marshall - Yes
Andre Gray - Yes
Jeff Hendrick - No
Sam McCallum - Maybe
Keiren Westwood - Yes

Rob Dickie - Yes
Lyndon Dykes - Yes
Macauley Bonne - No
George Thomas - No
Albert Adomah - Yes
Charlie Kelman - Maybe
Chris Willock - Yes
Sam Field - Yes
Joe Walsh - Maybe
Stefan Johansen - Yes
Jordy de Wijs - Maybe
Charlie Austin - Maybe

Liam Kelly - No
Marc Pugh - Maybe
Geoff Cameron - Yes
Yoann Barbet - Yes
Todd Kane - Maybe
Dominic Ball - Yes
Conor Masterson - Maybe
Lee Wallace - Maybe
Luke Amos - Maybe
Matt Smith (midfielder) - No
Nahki Wells - Yes
Jordan Hugill - Yes
Jan Mlakar - No
Dillon Barnes - No
Jack Clarke - No

Yes = 21
Maybe = 14
No = 11

I'm sure everyone will disagree with at least some of these, and it doesn't deal with the question of selling players for profit (for example: is Jordy de Wijs more or less of a success or failure, given the best case scenario with him is that we made our money back?) but for me it suggests that our recruitment has been pretty decent, by and large, over the last few years.

Interesting list seeing it like that.

I think it refers back to something I mentioned on another thread, that players that are brought in are those that were available in a our price range to meet the managers of the moments perceived needs. We the fan may perceive that we need a new striker, but the manager of the time, who sees the players much more than we do and has a idea (you'd hope) about how he wants the team to play, may see a different need. If a manager stays for a decent amount of time (very unQPR I know) then over that time a consistent and coherent squad will be created to support the managers planned approach.

In our circumstances though, and this is something Northern has mentioned repeatedly previously, that higher turnover of managers has meant changing approaches to play and left a lot of spare cues on the rack that will never be used. I think there is also a theme about the approach we expect from managers when we recruit them so that there is less of an issue if managers change, provided you are playing the "QPR" way. I think we were reasonably successful in the first 2 years of Warbsball in that respect in that the signings were initially consistent with a preferred style of play, until we ended up sh*tting the bed somewhat in his last 7 months by signing a lot of excessive and old tatt we thought might get us over the promotion line. PBCC was to a point building on Warbsball in his approach and the players he initially brought in seemed to improve what we were doing under his predecessor.

Critchly is expected to follow a similar approach one suspects, but will have much limited funds because PBCC rather used up the available budget. So not expecting a sudden significant change in the squad this month, but perhaps something more substantial in the summer (assuming that Critchley stays with us for more that a few months).

Never knowingly understood

January Transfer Window Rumours on 20:11 - Jan 5 with 4035 viewsHayesender

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnC9AUmACRt/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

B Dortmund interested in Tim O?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

January Transfer Window Rumours on 20:31 - Jan 5 with 3951 viewsHarbour

West London Sport suggesting we are looking at either Jamal Lowe or Ashley Barnes on loan. Who knows if anything in this. Both decent strikers..
January Transfer Window Rumours on 20:44 - Jan 5 with 3875 viewsjeffranger

Can’t stand Barnes, one dirty bastard & not a prolific scorer, would prefer Lowe & he’s pretty quick but not an out & out scorer I believe
January Transfer Window Rumours on 20:56 - Jan 5 with 3834 viewsDubaiR

Barnes would be a good signing and just what we need. A horrible physical leader schooled in a housery as believe we are still very nice as a team
January Transfer Window Rumours on 21:18 - Jan 5 with 3696 viewsVancouverHoop

January Transfer Window Rumours on 20:11 - Jan 5 by Hayesender

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnC9AUmACRt/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

B Dortmund interested in Tim O?

He would definitely be in their wheelhouse. They specialise in blooding raw, ultra-talented, youngsters. cf: Bellingham and Haaland.
January Transfer Window Rumours on 22:56 - Jan 5 with 3382 viewsnumptydumpty

January Transfer Window Rumours on 21:18 - Jan 5 by VancouverHoop

He would definitely be in their wheelhouse. They specialise in blooding raw, ultra-talented, youngsters. cf: Bellingham and Haaland.

I personally can't see this one happening.

Understanding that Bellingham has worked out big time there but he also moved there I believe when he was 16 and it was a specific chosen route by himself. And the confidence to do that at such a young age, hardly any around that capable of doing that

Yes Tim is a decent prospect but clearly Bellingham, a one off, and can't see this as being anything more than lazy journalism.

Might sound un PC, the way I say this but a young, black guy from Birmingham, still a teenager in an important central midfield role with chances to get better.

It's just even though Tim is great and will, I am sure, will improve with us, he is not Jude Bellingham.

I expect Tim to return to Villa at end of this season.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2023 22:59]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

January Transfer Window Rumours on 01:27 - Jan 6 with 3125 viewsVancouverHoop

It most probably won't happen, but it's what Dortmund do. Shinji Kagawa, Ilkay Gundogan, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic, and Achraf Hakimi were all spotted, nurtured and, usually, sold on for big profits. It's mainly how they've managed to remain Germany's second club for so many years.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2023 1:27]
January Transfer Window Rumours on 04:48 - Jan 6 with 3038 viewsbongo_king

Interesting and not great read https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-keen-on-crystal-palace-youngster-plus-ty

I've avoided criticising the board and broader setup as I think they've done more good than bad. But reading the loan bits here, some questions have to be asked.

Roberts - played 15 games so can't be sent back. How did they get done on the Roberts send back clause? A broader question is who thought Roberts was a good or necessary signing to begin with? (I know, we have a thread on him already).

Richards - he shows flashes but he's started 1 game and we're obliged to buy him, and it sounds like we may have to buy him this window to free up a loan space. Again, how did this happen?

Ebiowei - FFS this it not a priority. He looked good but raw vs Derby last year but we have plenty of options there, particularly now we're stuck with Roberts. Every man and his dog can see, if we have limited loans left, we need at least 1 out and out striker. And god forbid something happens to e.g. Paal we need that other loan for a LB.

I think the first two land squarely on Beale with the board appeasing him. But as Clive said recently in an article, we can't do "what manager wants manager gets" again. Can't yet tell if we're making the same mistake again with Critchley, lets hope not.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2023 4:51]
January Transfer Window Rumours on 05:53 - Jan 6 with 2999 viewsHAYESBOY

Coventry City could move for 31-year-old English midfielder Jamie Paterson, who is out of favour at Swansea City. (Coventry Live)............Linked before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64179618

Would you consider Afobe? In our price range.
Scrub that, he's gone off to play in UAE.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2023 6:03]

Smells like a trout farm in here

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024